The Course of Human Events

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also folks, if Yankeelia sounds too off the wall, I could, I suppose, have the Constitutional Convention reject the name and propose something else. AE has suggested "New Albion" and HL suggests "America" or "Columbia" Three other names were considered by the Continental Congress, "Amercanda", "Brittica" plus "Columbia". What say you?
(LG)

I think Amercanda is out: it seems to be a simple ellision of American and Canada. Columbia did figure highly, but I think it was heavily connected to the republicanism in the colonies; your independece movement seems so gradual that I have a hard time crediting such tendencies. America plain and simple doesn't seem to capture the colonies or distinguish the country from the continent. Brittica sounds interesting, but it seems to me to your own invention.

I kind of like New Albion or the Continental Union. You'll have more freedom with the name if you let it emerge gradually. At first, the colonies call themselves the Continental Union. Then they say the Union of ____. Then they just call themselves __________. This is sort of like how on the Declaration of Indepence, the colonies retitle themselves: the united States of America. With the coming of the constitution, this became these United States. After the Civil War, the United States became a singular rather than a plural.

Since this TL seems more Brit-freindly, I'd go with New Albion or just America. New Albion might have traction, but you'd need to give it some further backstory: i.e. that Prince Edward's effort have led to an effort to build a new Britain in the new world, this idea being called New Albion.

How about this - the United States of New Albion, slurred over time to become the United States. Or it could be (the United States of) North America, (with no United States in front of) Columbian Union, or simply the Union of American States.

Either way, it all comes down to the US as the above poster stated, but with a different *legacy* of how it got there.

Thanks for the input guys. I'm leaning toward Continental Provinces of Albion. I'll post an update tomorrow. I have to choose a convention delegate and put some words in his mouth to expain "why this name".

I've backed up and altered the last section:

On August 22, 1785 the 9th Continental Congress formally requested the King and Parliament to grant independence to the Continental Congress provinces. Richard Henry Lee of Virginia made the official motion “Be it resolved that these Continental Provinces are, and of right ought to be, autonomous and sovereign, that they are no longer colonies of Great Britain, but one sovereign nation of equal station with Great Britain. Therefore, we request that Parliament grant these provinces their independence.” The motion received unanimous approval. Lee, John Hancock and Prince Edward were selected to deliver the Congress’ request to London.

As the motion was being debated, a question was raised concerning what this new union of provinces should be called. Once the decision to seek independence was made, a special committee was formed to discuss and submit up to four names for the congress to consider. Three names were submitted: Albion, Brittica and Panamerica. Albion had become poetically attached to the Continental Colonies through the writings of James Hutchinson (“Bright Albion the Golden, Now Spreads Across the Sea” 1779) and Edward Campbell “We Would Be Building; Albion Still Undone” 1783), and won handily. Albion, officially New Albion, was also the name given by Sir Francis Drake to the region of the Pacific coast of North America which he explored in 1579 during his famed circumnavigation of the globe (1577-80). It is also the oldest recorded name for the Island of Great Britain, predating the Roman conquest, and thus one of the oldest words in the modern English language.

The final action taken by the 9th Continental was to adopt a flag for Yankeelia. By the mid 1780’s, various unofficial unity flags were being flown throughout the provinces. A special committee was formed to discuss and to submit one proposed design for the congress to consider. The design submitted for the National Unity Flag was approved unanimously. The Flag Act of 1785 describes the new nation’s flag as consisting of: “a field of three stripes, two red, one at the top and the other at the bottom, each covering 1/5 the height of the flag, and one blue, covering the central 3/5 of the flag and containing equally sized 5-pointed stars of white, one for each province in the nation”.

On March 30, 1786 (after a 6 month delay due to contrary ocean winds and the early onset of winter) the trio departed for London to seek independence for the Continental Provinces. Speaking before Parliament, John Hancock said, “When in the course of human events, it become prudent and advantageous for one group of people to alter the political bonds which have connected them with another, and to assume among the powers of the earth, the independent and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and Nature’s God entitle them, it is incumbent upon that people to act. And so we come before you today to request independence for the British provinces in North America that have participated in the Continental Congress.”

After fierce and acrimonious debate Parliament adopted the Continental Provinces Independence Act on June 26. One proviso was attached to the act by Parliament. For the approval to become final, the Continental Congress had to ratify a Treaty of Free Association between the new nation and Great Britain. The treaty called for a commercial partnership between the two nations, bonded the two nations together in a military alliance, and permitted the British army and navy to occupy, without cost, its current military forts and facilities through the end of the century, with the understanding that Britain would start to draw down its military presence there beginning one year after the treaty’s ratification. Soon after the Act’s passage, the trio returned home.

On September 22 1786 the 10th Continental Congress ratified the Treaty of Free Association and called for a constitutional convention to be convened following spring in Philadelphia. Each province was asked to send up to 3 delegates to the convention. Twenty-three provinces, from the Gulf of St. Lawrence to the Caribbean sent delegates. In all, sixty-two people participated. The convention was perhaps the most diverse group of men to have gathered in recorded human history to gather for the purpose of designing and forging a new nation. George Washington of Virginia presided over the convention, which lasted from May 25 to September 20, 1787. There was lively and sometimes heated debate on a multitude of issues during the convention, as the delegates wrestled with whether the new nation should be established as a republic or a monarchy, whether the central government should be federal or confederal in nature, and with a host of other issues of power, control and authority as they put the constitution together. The convention appeared near collapse on a couple of occasions, but always managed to find compromise and common ground upon which to stand. In the end, the framework for government that was put together by the delegates struck a dynamic and enduring balance concerning these issues. The genius of the document produced in 1787 lies in its simplicity. It states what is or is not to be done, without any implication of why. It has, by design, the ability to conform to the conditions of the times over the years. It also has an intrinsic openness to being changed by amendment. The completed proposal was then submitted to the Continental Congress for its endorsement prior to being submitted to the provinces for ratification.

After being endorsed by the Continental Congress, the proposed constitution was sent to the provinces for approval or disapproval. Affirmative votes from 2/3 (16) of the provinces was required for it to be implemented. On December 19, 1787 Delaware became the first to ratify the constitution. There were furious fights over ratification in several colonies. Every province, so it seemed, had ideas on how the constitution could and should be amended. It was only after the leadership of the Continental Congress gave assurances that the new Congress would consider amending the document during its 1st session, to further protect the rights of the provinces and citizens that prospects for the constitution’s ratification improved. Then, on June 21, 1788, New Hampshire became the 16th to ratify it. News spread quickly through the provinces and there was much rejoicing.

The Order in which the Provinces Ratified the Constitution of 1787:
Delaware – December 7, 1787
Pennsylvania – December 12, 1787
New Jersey – December 18, 1787
Nova Scotia – December 19, 1787
Georgia – January 2, 1788
Connecticut – January 9, 1788
St. John – January 16, 1788
Ontario – January 20, 1788
Vermont – February 5, 1788
Massachusetts – February 6, 1788
Maryland – April 28, 1788
Bahamas – May 22, 1788
South Carolina – May 23, 1788
Maine – May 30, 1788
West Florida – June 14, 1788
New Hampshire – June 21, 1788
Kentucky – June 24, 1788
Virginia – June 25, 1788
New York – July 26, 1788
Allegany – February 7, 1789
East Florida – June 3, 1789
North Carolina – November 21, 1789
Narragansett – May 29, 1790

Once the Continental Congress received word that the required number of provinces had ratified it, a timetable for the start of operations under the constitution was set. James Madison made a motion that June 21, 1788 be declared the official Independence Day for the Continental Provinces of Albion. The motion was approved.

Isn't "Albion" the name for the British Isles proper? Shouldn't "Avalon" be much more appropriate?

Thanks S R. Avilon would have been an appropriate name as well; it did cross my mind as I started to look for alternatives to the original "Yankeelia" name. However, I didn't wish to romanticize the new nation by connecting it to Arthurian legend. I may use Avalon later on for Newfoundland if Quebec moves in the direction I'm contemplating during the mid 19th Century.

Here is the 23 star (1789) Albionese flag:

Albion-1789.gif

Thanks S R. Avilon would have been an appropriate name as well; it did cross my mind as I started to look for alternatives to the original "Yankeelia" name. However, I didn't wish to romanticize the new nation by connecting it to Arthurian legend. I may use Avalon later on for Newfoundland if Quebec moves in the direction I'm contemplating during the mid 19th Century.

Here is the 23 star (1789) Albionese flag:

That looks sooo much better than the US flag... :D

And at least it doesn't look like it's been ripped off from the Honourable East India Company... :D

The question of who should become Albion’s king proved to be a contentious one. Edward was favored by a large number of representatives. He was much respected and had shown himself to be a capable leader over the years. However, many wished to ask Edward’s brother, King George III to become Albion’s king in order to create a personal union between the two nations. The British Prime Minister, William Pitt the Younger, actively promoted this option, much to Edward’s distress. The Continental Congress eventually dismissed this idea. It was feared that Albion would eventually become the “lesser of equals” to Great Britain, much as Scotland had become lesser of equals in their union with England. Also, concerns were raised (rumors and stories were circulating around the provinces) regarding King George’s mental instability. Having lived in North America for nearly a quarter century and raised a family in North America, Edward dreaded the thought of leaving and returning to England. In the end, his fears and self-doubt proved unfounded. In September, by vote of Congress, Prince Edward Augustus, Duke of York and Albany, Proprietor of the Continental Crown Lands was invited to become King of Albion.

In November, 1788, the first election for members of the federal Congress was held. Members of Congress were elected from all the provinces that participated in the old Continental Congress, though the MC’s elected from provinces that had not yet ratified the Constitution were not seated until after their provincial legislatures had ratified it. Federalist candidates won 32 Senate seats and 47 House seats. The confederalist candidates won 14 Senate seats and 31 House Seats. (Note: Political parties as we know them today began to emerge onto the political scene in the late 1790’s. The terms “federalist” and “confederalist” do not refer to organized political groups but to an individual’s philosophy about the role of the central government and its relationship to the individual provinces which make up the realm.) After the election, George Washington was selected to serve as the nation’s 1st Chancellor when the government began operations under the new constitution.

During this time, back in London, King George III had in fact sunk into his first bout with “madness.” The king had not been well throughout the spring of 1788 and his behavior had become erratic. He was rude to diplomats; spent hours in the garden to the detriment of royal duties; flew into rages over the littlest of things and on one occasion physically attacked his son George, slamming him up against a wall. Then in June and September, he had attacks of convulsions and fever. Also that fall, he reportedly had a conversation with an oak tree, believing the tree to be the King of Prussia. Some speculated that the king’s illness was divine retribution for his having given away half of Britain’s holdings in North America. The Prince of Wales kept Edward informed about his brother’s condition through a series of letters, and for a while it looked as if no one from Edward’s immediate family would be attending his upcoming coronation. In spite of the care he received, cruel and abominable by today’s standards, the king recovered his reason early the next year. A service of thanksgiving was held at St. Paul’s Cathedral in London on March 23, 1789.

So, the colonies have been given kingdom status, a la DoD...

I can't say that I agree with that personally (must have personal-unions... :p), but, hay, it's your TL... :cool:

So, the colonies have been given kingdom status, a la DoD...

I can't say that I agree with that personally (must have personal-unions... :p), but, hay, it's your TL... :cool:

Well, it does occur to me that a future personal union is not of the question, particularly if the succession after George III falls into doubt and dissarray, similar to the situation that led to Victoria's accession in the 1830s. I suppose doubt is a bit strong, since succession was always clear, it was just rather odd that so many of George's brothers and sons failed to produce heirs. But then I'm not too sure of the situation myself, being a Contiental republican rube, as one might say. But surely, since that scenarios is malleable enough to yeild all sorts of Ernest Augusts acceeding to the throne, we might see the same if Edward's heirs ever seem like they might gain the succession of the UK itself!

@ Lord Grattan: Love the name! We actually get to have our own nationality without pissing off other inhaibtants of the Americas!

I am curious, though, about TTL's constitutional convention. First, you say the delegates include the possibility of making the nation a republic, but you don't mention how or why the settle on a monarchy. Second, is TTL's constitution very similar to OTL's Constituion, with a House of Representatives and a Senate? Is there a House of Lords? Is the Chancellor analgous to a President or a Prime Minister? I'd imagine the latter, since they have a King, but the fear of beholdeness to Congress may still exist. It does seem to me that if they have a King--a sovereign leige lord, the annoited of God on Earth, etc--then it will be much harder to make the case for anything like secession. You'd still have states' / province rights' issues, since the provinecs would still jealously guard their independence, but there wouldn't be the feeling that the provinces themselves were ever separately free and independent states.

Also, what will TTL's Bill of Rights look like without the expereinces of OTL's American Revolution, or the crises of the 1770s? Is there a movement for an established church along with a monarch?

One more question: what's the status of the Crown Lands? Are they still British or Albish (much better adjective, I think; less foreign sounding than Albionese)? It seems they are British lands the possessions of George III, in the care of their Propreitor, Prince Edward of Britain, who has just become King of Albion. In a way, there in a sort of personal union or rather, familial bond. But the key question is this: when will western settlement be allowed and to whom will the settlers / new colonies owe their alliegiance?

Okay so I lied: why is George Washington presiding at TTL's Constitutional Convention? He hasn't been a general, though he's probably been a delegate to the Contiental Congresses. As such, he could well have risen to such a post, given his reputation for honesty and so forth. But if you're going for a presiding officer to give the meeting weight, then I'd imagine the post would go to Benjamin Franklin. Washington still wins out, since Franklin would be hard to imagine as an impartial moderator. I'm more curious to see a different sort of collection of folks at the Convention, since OTL Loyalists won't have fled.

The 1787 Constitution of Albion begins, “We the people of the Continental Provinces, in order to form a cohesive realm, establish justice, insure domestic tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general welfare, and secure the blessings of liberty to ourselves and our posterity, do ordain and establish this constitution for the Continental Provinces of Albion.” Albion is a realm, a kingdom composed of several provinces that are bound together in one indivisible and undissolveable nation. The Federal Constitution creates a central government with three independent, connected and equal branches: executive, legislative and judicial. It also provides a mechanism, by which the document may be amended.

Executive authority is vested in the monarch, a hereditary official, who governs with the blessing of the congress and the people. The monarch is the “Defender of the Constitution, Protector of the Rights of Man and embodiment of the Nation’s Unity, Liberty and Life.” The monarch is the head of state and appoints the Royal Cabinet, a body consisting of the chancellor, the heir to the throne (if of age), and a number of department heads. The cabinet can, in emergency situations, act collectively in the name of the monarch if he or she is unable to. Additionally, the monarch appoints the Chancellor, and with the advice and consent of the Senate, appoints Supreme Court justices, subsidiary federal judges, federal prosecutors, secretaries to head the executive departments established by Congress, ambassadors to foreign lands and numerous other civilian and military officials. The monarch has the authority to remove these officials from office for just cause, except for the Chancellor and Supreme Court justices, who can only be removed from office by action of the Senate and after being impeached by the House. The monarch is also titular commander-in-chief of the armed forces, represents the kingdom in international relations, and has the right to veto legislation passed by the Congress, issue pardons, commute sentences and sign treaties after they’ve been ratified by the Senate. The monarch is expected to submit an annual state of the kingdom report to the congress.

Federal law-making authority is vested in the Congress. Albion’s Congress consists of two chambers, a House of Representatives and a Senate. A legislator in either is a Member of Congress (MC); MC’s in the House are called representatives and MC’s in the Senate are called senators. The size of the house is set by congressional statute, while the size of the Senate, two per province, is set by the Constitution. Each representative represents a House district and serves a four year term. Each senator represents a state and serves an eight year term. Representatives are chosen through direct election. Senators are elected by the legislatures of the various provinces. Seats in the House of Representatives are apportioned among the various provinces on the basis of population. The Chancellor of Albion is chosen from among the members of the House of Representatives. He is the chief officer of and spokesman for the Congress and the link between Congress and the Royal Council, and has privilege of the floor in both the House and Senate. At the invitation of the House, territories of the realm may send non-voting delegates to the House. All representatives stand for election every four years. The eight year terms for senate seats are staggered, so that ½ of senators stand for election every four years. A bill can originate in either chamber of the Congress and must pass both chambers before it is considered adopted. Appropriation bills must originate in the House of Representatives. The Senate advice and consent powers with regard to executive appointments and must ratify treaties before they can come into force. The Congress has several other powers that are enumerated in the Constitution.

Judicial authority is vested in one Supreme Court, and in inferior courts as ordained and established by Congress. The judicial power of the Albion court system extends to all cases in law and equity, arising out of the Constitution, the laws of the realm and treaties made. It also extends to all cases affecting ambassadors, other public ministers and consuls; to cases of admiralty and maritime jurisdiction; to controversies to which Albion is a party; to controversies between two or more provinces, between citizens and another province, between citizens of different provinces, between citizens of the same province claiming lands under grants from different provinces, and between a province, or the citizens thereof, and foreign states, citizens or subject. The Supreme Court has original jurisdiction in all cases affecting ambassadors, other public ministers and consuls, and those in which a province is a party. In all other cases, the Supreme Court has appellate jurisdiction, both as to law and fact, with such exceptions and under such regulations as Congress enacts. Federal and provincial courts have the authority to examine and to rule unconstitutional, the laws passed and signed and administrative actions taken by those in the judicial and legislative branches of government. As such, Albion was the first nation to have judicial review as part of its framework of government.

Yay for atl-constitutional frameworks!

And for a parliamentary alt-US! Can Cabinet officers be MCs?

Last question, as "Defender of the Rights of Man" (great title), does the King have any oversight over the provinces? I'm thinking there might be room for a more vague version of Madison's proposed amendment that would give the federal government veto power over state laws by ensuring that "no state shall violate the freedom of conscience, the freedom of speech,..." Can't recall precisely what, but essentially, this applies a weak form of the Bill of Rights against the states / provinces.

It was rejected OTL for obvious reasons, but even without it, the King might have claim to such power if you combine the above title with something like a guarantee of republican government, you're likely to get this power. I'm assuming that the provinces can't be guaranteed a republican government under a monarch, so depending on the word choice, such a gurantee might be substantially more important to Civil Rights than in OTL.

Well, it is rather interesting writing. I do have 3 minor questions for you. First, since you mention Pitt the Younger, he comes out better then OTL. Then how does the cont. congress keep the cohesion up between the states. Finnaly in this time period, are their still the Federalist such as Hamilton, and Anti-Federalist like Henry, who pushed for the bill of rights. Based on the time line of redifecation, I would tend to think so, but just curious.

Yay for atl-constitutional frameworks!

And for a parliamentary alt-US! Can Cabinet officers be MCs?

Last question, as "Defender of the Rights of Man" (great title), does the King have any oversight over the provinces? I'm thinking there might be room for a more vague version of Madison's proposed amendment that would give the federal government veto power over state laws by ensuring that "no state shall violate the freedom of conscience, the freedom of speech,..." Can't recall precisely what, but essentially, this applies a weak form of the Bill of Rights against the states / provinces.

It was rejected OTL for obvious reasons, but even without it, the King might have claim to such power if you combine the above title with something like a guarantee of republican government, you're likely to get this power. I'm assuming that the provinces can't be guaranteed a republican government under a monarch, so depending on the word choice, such a gurantee might be substantially more important to Civil Rights than in OTL.

There is a "Bill of Rights" coming, which will be similar, though not as strident as in OTL. Also, while the Federalists are in power, and since Albion is more royalist than the (OTL) USA, Albion may get something like Section 1 of OTL's XIV Amendment added to the Constitution in the 1790's.

Well, it is rather interesting writing. I do have 3 minor questions for you. First, since you mention Pitt the Younger, he comes out better then OTL. Then how does the cont. congress keep the cohesion up between the states. Finnaly in this time period, are their still the Federalist such as Hamilton, and Anti-Federalist like Henry, who pushed for the bill of rights. Based on the time line of redifecation, I would tend to think so, but just curious.

Yes, Pitt is able to be an even more creative reformer than he was in OTL. He's also unlikely to be in any way supportive of the French Revolution.

The Continental Congress maintains cohesion by focusing upon the thes that bind the provinces together and upon what they are together building.

Yes, there are "federalists" and "confederalists" in this TL. I'll define the two when political parties emerge in the 1790's.

In June 1788, Prince Edward and the leadership of the 11th Continental Congress reached agreement on wording for an ordinance that would spell out how Indian land claims would be settled and White settlement regulated in the Continental Crown Lands after independence from Great Britain. They also agreed upon how the vast crown lands would be divided into territories and administered after independence. That fall, the Continental Congress adopted the Continental Crown Lands Land Ordinance and acted to divide the lands into territories. The Territory of Augusta (encompassing the Crown Lands territory north of the Ohio River and surrounding the Great Lakes not part of the Province of Ontario) was created. The territory of Mississippi (encompassing the Crown Lands territory south of the Province of Kentucky and north of the Floridas) was established. The Territory of St. Lawrence (encompassing the Crown Lands territory along the SE side of the St. Lawrence River) was created. After completing its work, the 11th (and last) Continental Congress adjourned “sine die” on January 29, 1789.

Edward Augustus York was crowned King Edward I of the Continental Provinces of Albion on June 8, 1789 at St. Paul’s Anglican Church in Baltimore, Maryland. In a brake with European tradition, where kings are crowned by popes, bishops and such, the Chief Justice-designate of the Supreme Court placed the crown upon Edward’s head. The new king’s nephew, George, Prince of Wales, brother, William, Duke of Gloucester and Edinburgh, and father-in-law, George, Duke of Montagu, attended the coronation as Great Britain’s representatives. The Prince of Wales was sick for most of his journey home from North America, and as a result developed a not so well hidden distaste for all things of North America, which he referred to as “the world’s underbelly”. Following his coronation, King Edward renounced his British style and titles, but not his place in the line of succession to the throne. To mark the occasion, King George III gave the Bermuda Crown Colony (approximately 138 islands, 20.6 square miles total land area) to his brother. Edward in turn requested that Congress oversee the governance and administration of the colony.

The 1st Session of the 1st Congress convened for the first time on March 4, 1789. During the session Congress enacted several important pieces of legislation. A Royal Postal Authority was created. John Jay was appointed 1st Postmaster General. A royal army was established to assume the duties of protecting the nation. King Edward appointed Brigadier General Josiah Harmer to serve as the 1st Commanding General of the royal army. Henry Lee III was confirmed as the 1st Chief Justice of the Supreme Court. A census was authorized, to be taken in 1790 and every ten years thereafter of all people living in Albion. The 1st census showed that there were 5,796, 200 people in Albion in 1790. Philadelphia was chosen as the provisional capital of the nation until a new permanent one could be chosen and readied. An act of royal succession was adopted. Lake Manitoulin was renamed Georgian Bay in honor of the Prince of Wales and his father. The Territory of Bermuda (encompassing the Crown Colony given by George III) was created. The establishment of an official currency was authorized. English was proclaimed the official language of commerce, education, and government. A national coat of Arms was also adopted. The enabling statute describes it as: Gules a pale azure with star argent surmounted by a royal crown or. Supporters a stag natural at gaze on each side standing on two oak branches leaved and fruited natural crossed at bottom. Beneath a scroll argent bordered sable inscribed with E PLURIBUS UNUM sable.

AlbionCoatOfArms.gif

There is a "Bill of Rights" coming, which will be similar, though not as strident as in OTL. Also, while the Federalists are in power, and since Albion is more royalist than the (OTL) USA, Albion may get something like Section 1 of OTL's XIV Amendment added to the Constitution in the 1790's.

Very cool. I await future updates! Huzzah for Royal Prerogatives. I'm curious to see the French butterflies to which you earlier alluded.

The Coat of arms is real winner, I think, though I wonder if you might get a different animal on one of the sides, rather than the doubled stags. I'm trying to imagine what a heraldric turkey might look like. Hmm, perhaps the two stags are best. The single star and the motto have me thinking one star to rule them all.

So with Bermuda, Albion now encompasses all of Britain's North American possessions?

Last edited:
Very cool. I await future updates! Huzzah for Royal Prerogatives. I'm curious to see the French butterflies to which you earlier alluded.

The Coat of arms is real winner, I think, though I wonder if you might get a different animal on one of the sides, rather than the doubled stags. I'm trying to imagine what a heraldric turkey might look like. Hmm, perhaps the two stags are best. The single star and the motto have me thinking one star to rule them all.

I thought about a turkey as well, but quickly dismissed the idea.

So with Bermuda, Albion now encompasses all of Britain's North American possessions?

Quebec, Newfoundland & Rupert's Land all are still British lands. Grenada and other British possessions in the West Indies are as well.

By resolution of Congress on September 25, 1789, 11 proposed amendments to the Constitution were adopted and sent to the provinces for ratification. These amendments constituted the promised Bill of Rights. On April 23, 1792, after the requisite number of provinces had ratified them, the Secretary of State, Robert Livingston., certified that they had become law. These amendments state:

(I)The right of the people to freely and peaceably exercise their religion shall not be denied, nor shall anyone be denied the right to own property or hold public office on account of their personally held religious beliefs; neither shall Congress make any law which establishes or favors any religious sect or society over others.

(II)The right of citizens to vote shall not be denied on account of religious beliefs, ethnic heritage or previous condition of servitude, except those convicted of capital or otherwise infamous crimes as prescribed by statute.

(III)Congress shall make no law abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press, or of the right of people to peaceably assemble, to keep and bear arms, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

(IV)No soldier shall, in time of peace be quartered in any house without the consent of the owner, nor in time of war, but in a manner prescribed by law.

(V)The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no warrants shall be issued, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the person or things to be seized.

(VI)No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a Grand Jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces of the realm, when in actual service in time of war or public danger; nor shall any person be subject for the same offense to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb; nor shall he be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be imprisoned, exiled or otherwise be deprived of life, liberty or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation.

(VII)In all criminal prosecutions, the accused shall enjoy the right to a speedy and public trial, by an impartial jury of the Province and district wherein the crime shall have been committed, which district shall have been previously ascertained by law, and to be informed of the nature and cause of the accusation; to be confronted with the witnesses against him; to have compulsory process for obtaining witnesses in his favor, and to have the assistance of counsel for his defense.

(VIII)In suits at common law, where the value shall exceed twenty dollars, the right of trial by jury shall be preserved, and no fact tried by a jury, shall be otherwise reexamined in any court of the Continental Provinces of Albion, than according to the rules of the common law.

(IX)Excessive bail shall not be required, nor excessive punishment imposed, nor cruel and unusual punishment inflicted.

(X)The judicial power of government shall not be construed to extend to any suit in law or equity, commenced or prosecuted against one of the Continental Provinces by citizens of another province, or by citizens or subjects of another nation.

(XI)The enumeration in the Constitution of certain rights shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people

The King used his veto power for the first time in 1792 on a piece of legislation designed to allot congressional representatives among the provinces. Also in 1792, Congress established two provinces. These were the first provinces established after independence. Tennessee was established on June 1 from the northern third of Mississippi Territory. Guelph was established on September 27 out of Nova Scotia from the Isthmus of Chignecto west to the St. Lawrence Territory line. That November, the second election for members of Congress was held. Federalist candidates won 14 Senate seats and 63 House seats. Confederalist candidates won 13 Senate seats and 56 House seats. After the election, George Washington was selected to serve a 2nd term as the nation’s Chancellor. (Note: Political parties as we know them today began to emerge onto the political scene in the late 1790’s. The terms “federalist” and “confederalist” do not refer to organized political groups but to an individual’s philosophy about the role of the central government and its relationship to the individual provinces which make up the realm.)

1789 Map of Albion:

1789.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.