The Chairmen: A History of Pennsylvania Through its Leaders

The Chairmen: A History of Pennsylvania Through its Leaders

Preface

The Commonwealth of Pennsylvania has faced many challenges over the years, more so since gaining independence, first from Great Britain and then finally total self-governance after the collapse of the short lived United States of America in the late 1700s. However, this great nation of the North American continent has endured the test of time, guided by the constitution, ratified in 1793, but also by the guidance of the great figures that have held the most prestigious office, that of Assembly Chairman.

Before embarking on a journey down the halls of history and examining the political figures and their various achievements in detail, one must first focus on the critical period before the Pennsylvanian constitution was drafted but after the United States had disintegrated. In this time period, sometimes referred to as "Pre-Constitutional Pennsylvania", a provisional government held temporary power while a more permanent system was decided upon. The government was headed up by George Clymer, a strong supporter of the concept of the United States who, like most others who had supported the idea, now found themselves being discredited as the union broke down. He was a lifelong statesman who was able to salvage enough of his reputation to keep his career, and to be entrusted to safeguard Pennsylvania during this trial of strength.

The interm government did very little. Its main purpose was to uphold the existing laws and maintain order. The constitutional convention would handle the major decisions, not the officials in temporary command. However, there was one issue that was pressing enough that it could not be ignored until the new government was in place. Nearly all of the new countries on the continent had competing claims on lands West of the Appalachian Mountains, tensions were rising between the major players. Pennsylvania's claims were to lands that were also claimed by New York and Virginia, mostly. The geographically smaller countries did not have access to these lands, though there were still some claims despite this. Some at the time also argued that New York was not in a position to contest the Western lands, a theory that would prove key for the Northern countries for the next few decades.

Clymer showed some initiative and sent a message to the leaders of New York, also in the process of organizing a new form of government, about the issue. At the time, the lands in question were not very well developed and did not have many settlers from coast. As such, Clymer was prepared to offer a generous settlement, though with a few conditions, in exchange for reducing tensions. The traditional theory was to extend the straight line along the latitude that was the existing, defined portion of the border. However, many in Pennsylvania wanted more access to the Great Lakes. Clymer decided to push for more land and a large shore on Lake Erie in return for recognizing New York's claims West of Lake Michigan and above the line that would be set by the treaty. While New York would only be able to access their lands via waterways, they would almost certainly never be granted another chance to cement such a large claim without a fight, and as such agreed to the conditions. The actual signing would take place later, under the first official administration, but Clymer still gets, rightfully so, most of the credit for this early Pennsylvanian foreign policy success.

As these events unfolded delegates met at Independence Hall for the Pennsylvanian Constitutional Convention. The event was similar to previous ones held at this historic landmark, but very different in a number of ways as well. Recently the last attempt to save the Unites States occurred inside, where men from around the former colonies debated the best way to strengthen the bonds between them and their countrymen. While many who had represented Pennsylvania were once more attending important proceedings, like Clymer, their ideas were now falling by the wayside and taking a backseat to an alternate theory on how to bind a modern democracy together. Instead of creating a stronger, more central government, the people now believed the opposite should be attempted, a reform in the spirit of the Articles of Confederation, the first governing document of the United States. All agreed that the highest level of government had been too weak and needed to be granted more powers, but many now believed that pushing it as far as the delegates had when attempting to save the colonial union would not work. A new concept arose, dubbed “Municipal Confederalization”, where municipalities would hold a great deal of power but a higher level of government would hold absolute power when it game to foreign affairs, national defense, and the conditional power to legislate over other issues as long as the resulting laws were not nullified by the lower governments. A second aspect of Municipal Confederalization was the subservience of the executive branch to the legislature.

The faction supporting this philosophy, called Confederalists by most, did not have a major leader or single figured responsible for it, unlike the plethora of famous statesmen who had seen their careers start a slow spiral downwards from events leading up to the Convention. Thus, while in the end the ideas of Municipal Confederalization won out, it was a very near thing. Many speculate that if Benjamin Franklin had not died three years earlier the outcome would have been very different. At the time of his death he still had enough clout to significantly sway the convention. However, the end result of the Convention was a unique, strange, but curiously effective system of governance.

At the heart of Pennsylvania's new government was the concept of the dominance of the legislature, the secondary tenant of Municipal Confederalization. Unlike the Articles of Confederation, however, there was an executive branch, but it was tied so closely to the National Assembly it was sometimes hard to differentiate the two. Infact, at first glance, the executive could seem to be but a quirk of the legislative process. While unicameral, the members of the Assembly were divided into an upper and lower class. Every ten years a survey would be held and temporary divisions drawn of 100,000 people, each electing ten lower members from further subdivisions and one upper member from the greater whole. The only difference, at first, was that only upper members were eligible for the position of Assembly Chairman, elected each term of six years by a vote of the entire chamber. In addition to having the powers of the executive, the Chairman would have the deciding vote in the event of a tie.

The central aspect of Municipal Confederalization was left open ended in the constitution. Local governments were given a wide latitude of ways to check the national government. The divisions, redrawn decennialy, played a major role in the majority of the processes, and thusly would have a rather large administrative role, but take no part in any decision making process. If three-fourths of the divisions, either by popular vote or by decision of three-fourths of municipalities within its boundries. However, the constitution did not place any limits on what the National Assembly had power over despite many pushing for them. While it was only political happenstance resulting from the various figures maneuvering and exercising their clout, many in modern times believe if the legislature had been limited the government of Pennsylvania would not have endured in this form for more then two centuries.

The consequences of this set up was a nation that was easy for a multitude of political parties to operate in at the mercy of popular opinion. Every single member of the National Assembly was up for reelection every six years, including the upper members. This combined with the fact that only two elections at most would be held under the same political boundaries meant that a political cycle lasted twelve years at most before fresh blood would have a chance to mingle with the old order, some of whom might find themselves vying for power with a former ally of the same party now in the same district.

Elections were scheduled for the first Tuesday after the first Monday in November, a scheme borrowed from New York, with 1794 being the first election year. The Pennsylvanian people were focused around the new constitution for this first election, the supporters and detractors forming the first two political parties, the Confederalists and the Unionists. Some were dissatisfied with one issue taking the spotlight, but the only other major party to gain support before campaigning season were the Americanists, those who still supported the idea of a United States. Nevertheless, several figures decided to run without a party ticket, a few gaining a following. Moving into campaigning seasons, Pennsylvania was poised for many events to set the precedent for how all future elections would be handled.

Next Chapter: The Election of 1794

Last edited:
Were you the one who posted the first post of a Pennsylvania timeline a while ago and never made a second update?

Regardless, I'll be subscribing to this. It's great so far.

Were you the one who posted the first post of a Pennsylvania timeline a while ago and never made a second update?

Regardless, I'll be subscribing to this. It's great so far.

Errr, I don't think so. I might have. Either way, this one will be much better. This post could contain all my previous attempts at a TL combined (all updates) and still have room for more I believe. Maybe I exaggerate, but I'm really commited to it this time.

Nice so far. It will be a relief to read a No Constitution TL where PA doesn't get screwed over. PA had a lot more going for it economically than most other contenders. An earlier completion of a trans-Pennsylvania canal or RR would have limited NYC's growth a bit.

What's Delaware's status in all of this? Also, there is a good chance NJ will split with the southern portion absorbed by PA since it already was firmly within Philadelphia's economic sphere.

Benjamin

Nice so far. It will be a relief to read a No Constitution TL where PA doesn't get screwed over. PA had a lot more going for it economically than most other contenders. An earlier completion of a trans-Pennsylvania canal or RR would have limited NYC's growth a bit.

What's Delaware's status in all of this? Also, there is a good chance NJ will split with the southern portion absorbed by PA since it already was firmly within Philadelphia's economic sphere.

Benjamin

I've been considering alot of these things, but have no solid answer yet. I'll have to look into that with NJ, I'd been thinking about something along those lines, but was quite aprehensive about it. Keeping it in the status quo is unacceptable, that's for sure though.

Along those same lines, I haven't yet decided what to do with Deleware. In fact, the only other country I've really worked out is New York, though Georgia, the Carolinas, Virginia, and New England as a whole I've got a vauge outline for. Maryland, Deleware, and New Jersey are really the areas I'm going to have to hit the books on before I get very deep in.

Okay, so working on the next post, should be done soon, but I have one (technicaly problem) that maybe someone can help me with. I made some graphs, in a spreadsheet (open office). Is there a really easy way to convert it to a png?

Edit: Problem has now been solved.

Last edited:

Zioneer

Banned
An interesting story, I always like the "take one OTL US state and make it an independent nation" TLs.

And Pennsylvania is one of the better ones for that idea in any case.

I've been informed people tend to discount Pennsylvania, in favor of Virginia. I had no idea, but I can assure you, this will not be the case ;)

Anywho, I'll try and update tonight. I have the first 1/3 of the update (and graphs) done, but got hung up on finding a leader for the Unionists. Got it resolved, but by the end I was a bit miffed at the whole process. Should be smooth sailing once I get to writing the rest of it.

mowque

Banned
Glad I could help, I hope to see Johnstown and Pittsburgh pop up later....Will PA grab lands out in Ohio or...?

Glad I could help, I hope to see Johnstown and Pittsburgh pop up later....Will PA grab lands out in Ohio or...?

Yes, thanks for that. But, I won't give away how much land will be taken, but you can be assured at least up to the Mississippi, how far North, South, or beyond that you'll have to wait and see ;). That will be covered quite extensively in the update after tonight's. There's going to be some foreign policy to focus on 1794-1800, and Native American relations to sink our teeth into.

A bit later then I hoped, had a Sociology paper I forgot to write, so took care of that first.

Also, I only included one graph, all three aren't really nessisary until the National Assembly gets larger, at 44 there isn't that big a difference.

----------------

Chapter One – The Election of 1794

The election campaign of 1794 was unknown territory for the citizens of Pennsylvania. There had of course been local elections before, and elections under the Articles of Confederation, so they were familiar with how the process of voting worked. However, there had never been an election that would so clearly affect them, or one that would create an executive branch over their entire nation. The idea of campaigning was almost a foreign idea to some, but in the politically charged atmosphere surrounding the breakup of the United States there were already several groups organized that could back candidates and fight for them in the campaign arena. Fortunately for them, the first districts and other political units had been drawn up during the Convention, as they were needed for an election, with a small provision that the first government would not redistrict in 1800. Therefore, the political parties formed from the factions were ready to go as soon as election season started.

The two main camps formed along the lines drawn by proponents of the new constitution and their opponents. The document allowed room for them to still struggle against one another. Neither side had had the power to force their ideas entirely, and moderates agreed that leaving the questions open-ended might be best for the new nation, for flexibility. From these discussions, Robert Morris
emerged as the leader of the Unionists. He was the one Pennsylvanian delegate to the United States Constitutional Convention that had managed to save his career, the main reason being that he was able to moderate his message. While some of his close associates, such as Gouverneur Morris*, continued on without change in the new political climate, they quickly found themselves without an ear to listen to them, the populace having grown tired of their rhetoric long before. Others, such as George Clymer, had resigned themselves to smaller rolls, unchanging in their beliefs, but no longer pushing, their drive gone. Both types still hoped for seats in the National Assembly, with success being an individual experience. The more modest ones elected to run as a lower member, rather then aim for a chance at the nation's highest office.

Of course the Unionists were not the largest faction, that title belonged to the Confederalists who were now on a high following the ratification of the constitution they helped shape so much. By contrast to the Unionists, there were no major leaders of this faction, supported not by charisma, but by the force of public opinion. However, as Pennsylvania transitioned into the election, several up and coming figures found that the conditions were right to begin a trek to political stardom. Cadwalader Evans, who was quite taken with the idea of legislative supremacy, in particular distinguished himself as willing to drive forward for success. Evans and his peers really worked to get the message out to the already receptive voter base, but were not experienced enough for upper level positions. Evans himself was only 31 on election day, after all. Instead, the aid of politicians such as George Ross was enlisted, people who had experience but little in the way of loyalties and were close to retirement. Ross had served near the highest reaches of Pennsylvanian government in the late 1780s, was somewhat sympathetic to the Confederalists cause, and had the needed experience. He was the favorite to be voted Assembly Chairman, and was the candidate the Confederalists supported the most.

There were other issues besides the constitution, of course, the biggest being foreign policy, something that was firmly agreed was in the domain of the national government. Most of the new nations in America had two parties that revolved around foreign policy, sometimes becoming one or both of the major competitors. However, in Pennsylvania an extreme nationalist faction was slow in forming, having little to no support in 1794. The Americanists, those that still dreamed of a United States of America, were a solid group, but faced many obstacles, chief among them support being split between them and the more popular Unionists. Many long time advocates for their cause had grown discouraged, and tried to work the issue from within the other party. Indeed, many speculated that the parties would form a voting block, but that also caused mixed feelings. On one hand, many believed this meant the cause still had hope, and that they should stay with their goal. On the other hand, reuniting the various states was but one issue, and many figures such as Gouverneur Morris had been drawn in by the Unionists so that they may more effectively work on other things. Other reasons included the temptation to drop one unpopular aspect of a platform to advance one's own career, or simply abandoning what some viewed as a lost cause, hoping to salvage what they could without changing their position or retiring like so many others. Another frustrating problem for the Americanists was that unlike the other two parties, the more they campaigned, the less people were likely to support them. While accidental, earlier efforts had pushed them towards the fringe of public conciseness, and more campaigning was only serving to reinforce the belief. It was too late to be reasonable, the people were already shifting towards the Unionists if they'd had any sympathy for the Americanists. Candidates that did well tended to do so on personal charisma, rather then platform.

Other important issues during the election included broader foreign policy and various sub-issues in the Western Territories. Confederalists wanted to focus only upon Pennsylvania's immediate neighbors and Great Britain, and even then take a fairly loose approach. The Unionists, on the other hand, wanted to reach out to France, but were somewhat hesitant to do so because of recent revolution in that nation. In practice, the parties lined up more along the lines of pro-Britain and anti-Britain in that regard, with the Americanists agreeing with the Unionists. In the West, the issue of how settlement should be handled was also a hot topic. Confederalists wanted settlement to take its own course, settlers would basically be on their own financially until the areas were well enough developed. The Unionists wanted to provide aid through a central bank to help develop these areas, provisionally to be paid back in later loan payments. The Confederalists argued that this was inappropriate. Unlike before, the Americanists took no special position. Lastly were the twin issues of the Native Americans and army presence in the West. All parties were basically in agreement on the troop level in the area, only token garrisons in existing forts. The difference lay in the that the Confederalists had nothing planned besides the continuance of the status quo. The Unionists, and to a lesser extent the Americanists, wanted an aggressive diplomatic campaign aimed at the natives. Aggressive not in the sense that Pennsylvania would badger them, but that as many treaties guaranteeing the safety of settlers be signed as possible. To cap off the Western issue, all parties, except the Americanists, supported quickly negotiations with Virginia over Pennsylvania's Southern border.

Election day came with much excitement. The constitution included universal male suffrage, and slightly over three out of four of all eligible voters came out that November day. The votes would take some time to count, the official results being printed in newspapers the last week of that month, but in the meantime the people buzzed with speculation. When the news finally came, no one was surprised, the Confederalists would hold a little over 60% of the new government, with the Unionists getting close to 30%, the last ten being split between the Americanists and one lucky independent candidate. The upper members were split 3-1 in favor of the Confederalists as well. The first move of the new government once it would meet would be to formally vote in George Ross as the first Assembly Chairman of Pennsylvania.

*no relation
Pennsylvanian Election of 1794

Lower Members
Confederalists - 24 (60%)
Unionists - 12 (30%)
Americanists - 3 ( 8%)
Independent - 1 ( 2%)

Upper Members
Confederalists - 3 (75%)
Unionists - 1 (25%)

Overall
Confederalists - 27 (61%)
Unionists - 13 (30%)
Americanists - 3 ( 7%)
Independent - 1 ( 2%)

1974T.PNG

Err, did everyone see the the update? It only got roughly 1/6 of the views the first part did, in about the same timespan (and I posted it at an inconvienent hour x.x)

Chapter Two: George Ross

The start of George Ross's term was marked, of course, by the establishment of the national government. The process went smoothly, for the most part. The legislature met in Independence Hall for the first time in early January of 1795. Though the National Assembly would technically meet any time deemed necessary, and in the future change of power would happen as soon as possible after an election, the measures needed for the first term delayed the meeting until the next year.

The first order of business was to swear in Ross as Chairman, after a formal vote. He was nominated with a vote of 31 out of 44, and confirmed unanimously. The Unionists did not protest what was clearly a majority opinion. The procedure of swearing in itself had little fanfare, Ross was quoted as saying “It is an honor to be selected for this duty, I shall do my best to shape this nation into a form that will endure. It is a hard task, and I fear we have much work ahead of us, but I trust that the fine men gathered here today will to their best to ensure that this government, which we have tried for so long to establish, shall last”. Ross was humble, having been reluctant to take the limelight, but knew that it would be the experience that he and the other old politicians had that would see the country through. There were plenty of statesmen who wanted the job, but few who the public trusted in the position.

The National Assembly alternated between codifying important laws from municipalities and creating the executive branch. The former was a boring, tedious process, but it wasn't controversial, whereas the latter was the exact opposite. The Assembly would work on one task until a break was needed, then move to the other. The constitution provided a clause for the establishment of a panel of advisers to help the Chairman perform his duties and for him to delegate tasks too. They were to be confirmed by the Assembly, but in the first term, there was the added step of deciding upon just what kind of advisers were needed. The first two were obvious, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Ministry of War were created without much fuss, there were only a few stubborn individuals who believed that the Chairman could handle these by himself. Without much dispute, Benjamin Rush was appointed Minister of Foreign affairs. He had much experience in politics, especially in negotiating, but most importantly, had not been involved as deeply with earlier attempts at government, his reputation was still intact.

Thomas Hartley was appointed Minister of War, though there was some protest here. Unlike Rush, who had largely retired from outright politics after the American Revolutionary War, Hartley was still active, and in fact had been elected as a lower member of the Assembly. Unionists argued that the executive, besides the Chairman, should be composed of people outside the legislature. The point was argued for two days, before the Confederalists put their foot down and pushed Hartley through. Despite the rocky start, Hartley was a good choice, he had been a Colonel in charge of a Pennsylvanian unit during the war as well as being quite familiar with the political process. It was hoped that he could reorganize Pennsylvania's disorganized militia into an effective fighting force that could stand on its own. While there were no major plans for the force, Pennsylvania had a lot of territory to control and forts to garrison out West. At the very least, an effective bureaucracy would need to be created.

The Confederalist controlled Assembly had trouble deciding upon any further ministries to create. There were several proposals, and many assemblymen felt as if something was still missing, but what could be done to fill the gap was a matter of great debate. The biggest proposal was the Unionists call for a Ministry of Finance to be created, but Confederalists argued that there was relatively little to be done in that area that was within the executive's power. While the proposal failed, it sparked the idea that was to become the preferred solution. A catch all “Ministry of the Executive” would be created that would handle any business that the Chairman deemed necessary, but was too detailed to be expected to handle personally. In addition to financial matters that the Unionists were concerned about, the Ministry of the Executive would be the body through which the national government would conduct its affairs with local governments, as well as handle most of the day to day paperwork of the executive that wasn't within the sphere of another ministry. William Bradford, a popular lawyer from Philadelphia, was selected to be the first Minister of the Executive. As with many appointments during the first term, efficiency over politics was the deciding factor in who got the job.

These proceedings took all of January and most of February, but all in all went rather quickly and smoothly. It would be some time before the ministries were fully formed and operational, but the Pennsylvanian government was starting to get into action. While early 1795 was marked with good feelings about the new national government, Pennsylvania would soon find itself facing its first trials. Precedent setting decisions would have to be made, and soon...

---------------

The Ministry of the Executive probably needs some OOC elaboration. It is basically a fusion of the Department of Justice and an extremely weakened Department of Treasury, along with extra administrative duties. Yeah, it might be kind of unwieldy, but not government works perfectly, and the story would be rather boring if we didn't have some issues to deal with later down the line, eh :p

Does anyone have any idea's for butterflies in Europe? I'm currently handling the obvious choices of alternate royal family trees, but of course I'm going to need some more things.

Chapter Three: More Diplomacy and the Ohio War

The first major actions by the new government was to resume the diplomatic proceedings that had begun under the provisional government. Following the successful land treaty with New York and the resulting surge in good relations, all were eager to begin negotiations with Virginia on the same subject. The most optimistic deal would grant Pennsylvania a border along the Ohio River. While many were skeptical if such an agreement could be secured, Chairman Ross and Foreign Minister Rush agreed that if they took the proper tone in negotiations it was a valid point to start at. In mid-March of 1795 Rush set off for a month long stay in Richmond along with two aides to begin discussions with Virginian President George Washington and his Secretary of State, Thomas Jefferson.

Luck was on the side of the Pennsylvanian negotiators. Virginia had been conducting an aggressive campaign in Western territories against Native Americans to limited success. The Western Confederation, an alliance of several tribes, had been hitting the settlers along the Kentucky River particularly hard in response to new settlements. While Pennsylvania also had similar troubles, because of weaker governance and a general hesitance to exert power had so far not provoked the Confederation much. There were attacks on settlements, of course, but for the most part the 3,000 strong Army of the West, under General Josiah Harmar had held in place in their forts and postings, only responding to incidents. By contrast, the Virginian forces had been perusing the natives, sometimes up as far as the Wabash River near the Northern extent of the Pennsylvanian claim. Pennsylvania had tacitly allowed this, but did not offer any assistance. As a consequence. the soldiers were constantly tired and disorganized. Virginia simply could not supply them adequately over the Appalachians. Virginia's expansion and colonization efforts had really bogged down as a result. As it was, settlers' resentment of Richmond was growing of its own accord, for the same reasons.

Therefore, when Rush arrived, the Virginian government was in the proper mindset to offer a favorable treaty. Good relations with another major player on the American continent would be a very valuable asset, enough to offset the eventual gain by attempting to hold more of their claims. The negotiators were quite surprised when their offer of an Ohio River boundary was accepted without hesitation. However, Virginia was not about to let the land go for free, they would consider this treaty a purchase rather then a settlement of a dispute. While initially unsure, Rush agreed, though at the time had no idea how Pennsylvania would pay due to the loose nature of the government. He assured his counterparts that something could be worked out and asked if the transaction could be made in installments. While not authorized to commit Pennsylvanian currency, the two parties settled on a sum of 3.2 million Virginian dollars, to be payed over a term of 20 years. In addition, both Washington and Jefferson were insistent on joint navigation rights of the river itself, something the Pennsylvanian party quickly accepted. Virginia had some conflict with Maryland over the Potomac River and did not wish to have the same troubles with Pennsylvania. While not codified in the treaty, an unwritten understanding was also achieved that Pennsylvania would have to step up its efforts to protect settlers of both nations in the Western Territories as well.

Satisfied, Rush signed the treaty, having been granted the power to do so as the constitution did not hold a treaty binding until ratified by the legislature, and returned to Philadelphia after only twenty days instead of the planned thirty, first taking three days for sightseeing. At first the National Assembly was somewhat upset with the price tag on the treaty, but pragmatists, joined by Chairman Ross, managed to get the Assemblymen to look at it from the perspective of tying up a lose end, rather then a new expenditure. As such, many grudgingly supported ratification. The vote took place on April 6 and the Treaty of Richmond went into effect with a vote of 36 for 8 against.

Unfortunately for Pennsylvania, the Western Confederation took note of this development with growing concern. The land that Virginia dropped its claims on was the homeland of many of the member tribes. While Pennsylvania currently had no desire to change its policy towards them, the Confederation felt very threatened by the perceived new expansionist policies. This, coupled with what they saw as a sign Virginia's defeat led the leaders to shift their focus.

After some preparation, a large force attacked Fort St. Clair, near Cincinnati, in the middle of the night on August 14. Before the attack, several veteran fighters infiltrated the fort. Discipline was lax, and the general lack of attacks for the months preceding had let the soldiers guard down. The infiltrators caused enough of a distraction to allow the main group to attack successfully, killing General St. Clair before he could even get a hold of the situation. The fort was only manned by a small force of 100, despite being the headquarters for the Western half of Ohio Territory. Only 23 men survived, fleeing East as their enemy occupied their barracks. Word arrived at Fort Harmar two days later right before Sunday church services by way of a solider who had managed to acquire a horse. General Harmar was uncertain what to do, but after a two hour delay ordered 100 men on a slow march towards the captured fort while riders were sent to other outposts to gather more forces. Despite the severity of the attack, it only occurred to Harmar to send word back to the capital late that night. Before most action had been handled by the soldiers then reported later, but nothing this big had ever happened before.

Unfortunately, as the messenger arrived, the National Assembly was dealing with sudden, but not entirely unexpected death of Minister of the Executive Bradford, who had always been in poor health. The government was nearly paralyzed with indecision at the crisis. A large portion of the military in the West was out of contact and perhaps out of supply while the Assembly debated what to do. Some wanted to raise an army and use it to start a massive campaign. Others wanted to attempt to use the same tactics that had been employed before. This was the first true test of the new Pennsylvanian government, and it was off to a shaky start.​

A couple of questions.
What is the status of Delaware?
Has the Wyoming Valley dispute between PA and CT been resolved?
What is the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow?

Also, a bit more important given that disputes between VA and PA over the north bank of the Ohio have been resolved, has the dispute over the three rivers area and Westmoreland county region been worked out as well? OTL control of Pittsburgh gave PA the advantage when settling this vital region along the upper Ohio. That's one of the reasons VA split during OTL Civil War; many people in West Virginia actually came from PA.

Finally, with Virginia led by Washington and Jefferson there may be a low key effort to reunite the colonies back into a unified government. Washington was essentially a federalist in all but name and Jefferson while not a federalist per say was in fact an American nationalist with a strong belief that the colonies would be far better off as one nation-state than many separate states. They just disagreed a bit on how much control the central government should have. With this in mind it is possible that VA may use the good will from this purchase to make moves towards an alliance with the aim of eventual confederation. Of course once Washington and his generation die all bets are off.

Just to help here is a map of the disputed three river area...the so called District of West Augusta.
Map+West+Augusta+bitmap.bmp

Keep up the good work.
Benjamin

Helpful stuff

For the simple questions, it's another country for the moment (if not in the best of shape, I'll admit I could do some more research on it), no not really but CA can't do anything about Pennsylvanian control (and for their part, the settlers aren't being made to move, just treated as normal, if unruly citizens), and about 50-65 kph, in that order ;)

As for the other dispute, according to that map, it seems to have been settled in 1784? If so then the borders are as OTL, which is how I have it on the map I use to plot things out. While I'm generally trying to be somewhat vauge as to all this came about, the PoD is around 1788 or slightly earlier, but definitely after 1784, for future reference.

On the subject of your last paragraph, I actually have something along those lines in the works. Pan-Americanism is still alive and well, if defeated for the moment. It'll probably be two updates away, but there will be an event that'll revive it somewhat and provoke closer ties between the states. There will be an alliance of sorts (which I've had the hardest time coming up with a name for :() and other interesting things on the diplomatic front. However, it won't be really a deliberate effort at reunification on any single man or country's part, more of a beast all its own.

Also, without giving spoilers, 1812 is still a big year in this TL as it was IOTL, and there will be some major shakeups and drastic changes of the political landscape, with quite a few borders redrawn.