The Campaign Trail Game Has Returned.

Well, at the same time, the election still needs to lend itself to a game. As in, it needs to be possible for both sides to win given the historical context and climate. I can't imagine playing as Alf Landon in 1936 would be very fun. :p

My votes for new elections would easily be 1992, 2004, and 1912.

I've heard people say that 1912 was a foregone victory for Wilson. Even if a TR or, especially, Taft victory would be a bridge too far, it'd still lend itself to an 1860 or 1968-like "your only hope is to deadlock" scenario.

They have 1988 though which is super easy as Bush so you can still make the easy to lose elections fun. Heck, maybe only allow you to play as the losers for elections like 1964 or 1984 although that means we wouldn't be able to try to self sabotage as the winner which is always fun.

Deleted member 83898

Ford/Baker win without Texas on Normal.

I must have played 10 different times with varying VP picks to get this result. I suppose someone will have to find out if it is possible to win New York as Ford on Normal.

Better yet would be someone winning NY/PA and TX at the same time.

1940 would be cool too. That's an election too many people ignore, but if Willkie had won it would have changed the course of WWII. And Willkie had a chance, he was coming close in the polls at one point. Also, they should do 1984 or 1936 just for lols, to see if anyone can actually win as Landon or Mondale. Landon would be hardest, Mondale made a lot of screw-ups but Landon was a good candidate running against fundamentals that made it impossible for him to win. It'd be cool if he somehow won though. And with 2008, while Obama would very likely win he might not get a filibuster-proof majority in the Senate, therefore dooming Obamacare. So if they do 2008 they should have 3 options: "you won as Obama", "you won but by less than IOTL so you will get literally nothing done" and "you lost as Obama-holy **** were you trying to lose?!"

How would Wilkie affect WWII, aside from having a different cabinet?

Well, at the same time, the election still needs to lend itself to a game. As in, it needs to be possible for both sides to win given the historical context and climate. I can't imagine playing as Alf Landon in 1936 would be very fun. :p

My votes for new elections would easily be 1992, 2004, and 1912.

I've heard people say that 1912 was a foregone victory for Wilson. Even if a TR or, especially, Taft victory would be a bridge too far, it'd still lend itself to an 1860 or 1968-like "your only hope is to deadlock" scenario.

It should be noted that at the time, 1936 was predicted to be a close election. Hell, all of FDR's were. Part of that can be blamed on the methodology of the time, but it could also be spun for some interesting mechanics and questions maybe.

1812 Could be a fun election. Last chance to revive the Federalist party.

All those super close elections from 1876 to 1892 as well.

Rosenheim

Donor
Finally beat Wilson in the popular vote, 48.40 to 47.16

https://www.americanhistoryusa.com/campaign-trail/game/158705

g30SO1T.png

328 EV Charles Evans Hughes , 8,939,058
203 EV Woodrow 'the Devil' Wilson, 8,709,974
0 EV Allan Benson/Other, 598,003
0 EV James Hanly , 221,837

Ran a moderate progressive, peace-nik, anti-immigrant campaign. Unfortunately had to speak up against my man Louis Brandeis to get that sweet anti-semite vote.

Ohio and Maryland could have also been in play.

Also: You have done better than approximately 100.0% of the games that have been played with your candidate and difficulty level.

Last edited:
Played my best Carter game yet just now.

Jimmy Carter/Frank Church: 484 EV, 43,037,474 (52.5%)
Gerald Ford/Bob Dole: 54 EV, 37,451,596 (45.7%)
Other candidates: 0 EV, 1,544,969 (1.9%)

Screen Shot 2016-04-08 at 1.20.45 pm.png