The Anglo/American - Nazi War

Status
Not open for further replies.
My god, finally this monster ends. Congratulations Calbear on one of the finest ATLs this site has ever spawned. I can't quite believe its actually all over :(

Great work you have written, CalBear!:)

What the state of the centre-left (in the non-American sense) across the world? Are they helped by the A4 alongside Conservatives and Christian Democrats as counter-balances to instability in poorer or more war-damaged countries?

When did Spain and Portugal fully returned to democracy after the end of the war?

CalBear, even though the German rebellion was crushed in the 90s, the fact that there are "look foreward, not back" movements and they're popular, is a good thing. I mean despite how shitty Germany or Japan is, they obviously (as OTL shows) have potential to have major economic revivals. Isn't it possible (in the case of Germany, even divided) or likely (Japan) to have a much delayed "miracle"? You kind of brushed off Japan earlier when I asked, but as China, Vietnam, Thailand show in the 90s and 2000s, why can't there be a Japanese miracle, much delayed, in the same way?

EricM

Banned
CalBear, even though the German rebellion was crushed in the 90s, the fact that there are "look foreward, not back" movements and they're popular, is a good thing. I mean despite how shitty Germany or Japan is, they obviously (as OTL shows) have potential to have major economic revivals. Isn't it possible (in the case of Germany, even divided) or likely (Japan) to have a much delayed "miracle"? You kind of brushed off Japan earlier when I asked, but as China, Vietnam, Thailand show in the 90s and 2000s, why can't there be a Japanese miracle, much delayed, in the same way?

Japan might be a better choice given that their nation wasn't littered with the 4 horsemen of the apocalypse. I imagine German agriculture is still shot to hell, not to mention the huge swaths of land that isn't even accessible given the nuclear attacks.

I remember reading this early on and thinking about how badly The Japanese took it, and then when you find out how it all ends you just go "Wow, they really ended up on the brighter end of things comparatively."

Japan might be a better choice given that their nation wasn't littered with the 4 horsemen of the apocalypse. I imagine German agriculture is still shot to hell, not to mention the huge swaths of land that isn't even accessible given the nuclear attacks.

Totally agreed. I love this timeline, but there is no reason that Japan couldn't end up being one of those late coming Asian tigers by the early 21st century. I mean OTL China did it, and they were far worse off that TTL Japan in many ways.

EricM

Banned
Totally agreed. I love this timeline, but there is no reason that Japan couldn't end up being one of those late coming Asian tigers by the early 21st century. I mean OTL China did it, and they were far worse off that TTL Japan in many ways.

They at least retain some national identity. What was France, Germany, etc simply does not exist anymore as anyone who remembers them is dead or simply doesn't want to think about it.

BTW it was so far back, so could someone remind me what happened to The Emperor?

The mentions of MLB remind me; what's football like ITTL? American football, that is. Did the NFL form more or less as OTL? Is it just as popular as OTL? Have the Lions won a Super Bowl?

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
Great ending Great timeline

Only one question remains. Do the Cubs ever win the World Series???

Once you are cursed by the Billy Goat all is lost!

Doom is upon them!!!! Cursed to the 10th Generation!

:p

(apologies to all the non baseball fans out there)

Can I ask for a quick where are they now on:

Barrack Obama?
David Cameron?
Mummar Gaddafi of many names?
Angela Merkal?
And Stephen Harper?

The PoD seems to be in 1941.

Anyone born before 1942 will probably not be born: thanks to the butterfly effect, a different sperm fertilizes an ovum. Instead of people being born, their sibling of same age is born.

Of the list above:

David Cameron's parents didn't even marry until 1962; he's butterflied.

Barrack Obama Sr. might be an interesting character to discuss, but his son and current US president weren't born until 1961.

Mommar Gdahaffi (Sp???) is very close to the PoD edge of being conceived after the divergence. I'd like to hear more about him.

Angela Merkel's father fought in the German armed forces in some variety and was captured in 1945. Given the different trajectory, he would probably not study theology or meet Angela Merkel's mother.

Stephen Harper is likewise too young to be born (1959)

---

That said, lets break out a list of interesting people and see if CalBear will humor us:

-Mummar Ghadaffi
-Charles De Gaulle
-Richard Nixon
-Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
-Nikita Khrushchev
-Kim Il-Sung
-Saddam Hussein
-Ronald Reagan
-Elvis Presley
-Earl Warren
-George Wallace
-Jim Jones (Morbid Curiosity at work)