The Anglo/American - Nazi War

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dont see any west coast citys lloyd at the very least LA has a solid chance of making it to alpha class at the very least.

The thing is I think Vladivostok / West Alaska has a good chance of 'sapping' a lot of strength and importance off the CONUS west coast since, even though it is a cold city in the wintertime it is all about location and Vladivostok has a good port, for both incoming and outgoing traffic from Asian nations as well as India.

LA also got to be the way it was through a very specific set of victories when it came to water usage. If Central and Northern California are stronger politically and prevent certain aqueducts from being built LA becomes hamstrung in its growth.

That said I can certainly see Honolulu, Seattle, San Francisco, LA and San Diego being Alpha- or Beta world cities.

Breaking it down... NYC and London are no brainers since I don't see either of them losing importance, and in a world where India is as powerful as it is Bombay seems to be a logical choice as an ultra powerful city.

Vladivostok is the city I'm taking the most 'risk' on since it's not very big OTL and it's not in an ideal climate, but as it's the only port in WA worth a damn it makes sense that all roads lead to it in the State, bordering China, Korea and being close to Japan puts it next to three economies that, while not as large as OTL (save possibly/probably Korea) are still ginormous...

Washington gets a big bump up since it's simply a much more powerful city TTL. Toronto gets a similar bump with Canada being a more important and powerful nation. Same with Mexico City and other Latin American capitals as well as Madrid, Spain and Manila, Philippines. I'm inclined to let Beijing keep its status as an Alpha+ even though China isn't as powerful as OTL and India gets another big Alpha city in Calcutta.

For regular Alpha cities most are minor movements from OTL, even in a diminished Japan, Tokyo is still huge. I bumped up Birmingham since the UK simply has to have something other than London ;).

If you look at the OTL map, basically redistribute almost everything on mainland Europe to South America and S. E. Asia
800px-GaWC_World_Cities.png

wow. alot happened while i was in Basic training, and i have to say that i'm still in time to catch the very last "update" on hte post-war world.

i've been following this thread for probably close to a year, and i have to say that it was really good.

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
wow. alot happened while i was in Basic training, and i have to say that i'm still in time to catch the very last "update" on hte post-war world.

i've been following this thread for probably close to a year, and i have to say that it was really good.

Thanks for your service.

Glad you enjoyed the T/L.

Okay, I did promise some commentary on your space activities, CalBear, and even if I couldn't do it on Monday, or Tuesday, I did manage to think of some good stuff today...

First, I doubt the first space station would be modular and expandable. The *concept* of modular space stations just *did not appear* until the 1970s or so OTL; when big heavy lift boosters were dying out. Prior to that, space stations were considered to be either monolithic modules (like Skylab or the Salyuts) launched on a single flight or large facilities constructed in a semi-monolithic (non-modular, but still piece-by-piece) fashion in orbit, using raw construction materials. Basically, before anyone obtained operational experience and (on both sides!) developing a (purportedly) low-cost winged space shuttle, constructing space stations was thought of much like building things on Earth--you might build a monolithic 'building' that gets transported to the site in one piece (like "mobile" homes, tents, and so forth), or, for more complicated structures, using concrete, steel, and other building materials to directly build the building (rather than, say, building pre-constructed sections and assembling them on site). The relatively recent popularity of the last mentioned-method may be connected to the modularity of modern space stations. Regardless, I don't think they would have moved to "second-generation" (or even 1.5 generation, like Salyut 6/7) space stations until several smaller models were launched, even (maybe especially) without the influence of the Germans, so maybe during the 1980s ITTL.

Second, the placement of nuclear weapons into Earth orbit. Besides the obvious political complications of OTL (which, note, did not prevent the Soviets from developing and fielding, for a time, the FOBS system), there were and are a large number of very solid technical and financial reasons why nuclear weapons were never placed in space, and everyone agreed not to place them in space almost as soon as they had the capability to do so, for either ground attacks or space-based deterrence (notwithstanding the "Excalibur" program that was part of SDI--which, note, would not have worked).

First, space-based weapons--like almost anything in space--are incredibly expensive. Launching each and every pound of weight into space costs thousands of dollars, and modern satellites often cost millions, tens of millions, or hundreds of millions of dollars. While older satellites were cheaper, they were also much less capable and much less reliable (look at how many Discoverers the Air Force went through before getting their first successful recon bird, for instance). An ICBM, by contrast, costs only millions of dollars per unit, and can hit virtually any target that a space-based weapon can. Bombers are similarly cheap; only the SLBM may approach the space-based weapon in unit cost, and that is because of the fantastically expensive submarine needed. To get an adequate global coverage (ie., considering the next point, to be able to hit any given target in a reasonable period of time) would involve a large and highly disproportionate share of expenses be diverted to space-based weaponry.

Second, space-based weapons offer no--I mean no--advantage of any type over ground-based weapons. This certainly sounds like a startling statement--what of the Russian FOBS system, for instance?--but it is true. Space-based weapons are slower to react, more vulnerable to their environment, and more vulnerable to detection and neutralization than their Earth-borne counterparts. Due to the nature of orbital mechanics, it can take a long period of time for a weapon placed in an Earth orbit to reach the ground, depending on where in orbit that weapon is placed (one place in GEO will take a very long time; one in LEO not very long). While the deorbiting can be arranged such that the target nation is not aware of it until very shortly before the strike (at least, if they use only ground-based sensors on their territory, rather than a space-based detection network--although real-time detection would not be possible in the 1970s), the deorbiting itself must take place long before the desired target can be hit. In this, space-based weaponry occupies a strange place between bombers on the one hand and (say) SLBMs on the other, with the disadvantages of both and the advantages of neither. Like a bomber, it takes a long time from launch until impact, even if the enemy might not realize that it has been unleashed for some time; like the SLBM, it is not possible to recall a space-based weapon once it has been deployed (at most, you could direct it to impact the sea or some such).

Additionally, the very harsh space radiation environment (especially for some medium altitude orbits, which pass through the Van Allen belts, or GEO, which is above the Van Allen belts) will do a lot of damage to the warheads; yes, they will be shielded, but they will still almost certainly fail (due to radiation damage to their electronic components) at a higher rate than their ground-based counterparts. They will also be much harder to maintain when one does fail; since at this time the capability to move into a graveyard orbit (I doubt anyone would want to automatically deorbit a derelict nuclear weapon!) is unlikely to be built in at "end of service life", they would then likely clutter up whatever orbits were used, together with other debris originating from their launch and structure (look up how much space debris has come from Delta upper stages, for instance--I doubt engineering will be enormously better here!) While space debris wasn't really taken seriously at this time, collisions involving important weapons should still warrant attention.

Furthermore, all weapons in space have the huge disadvantage that they are extremely vulnerable, unlike virtually all types of Earth-based weaponry, to neutralization before use. It is impossible to build hardened shelters or silos in space, or to conceal weapons in the same fashion that a submarine does. While you can armor to some extent, if someone wants your satellite dead it will die--the KE problem, combined with the expense and difficulty of mass, is just too formidable. Combined with the fact that it is possible to convert fast-reaction solid ICBMs into satellite launchers (eg., the Minotaur series, from Orbital Sciences, which uses the Peacekeeper for the first 3 stages), or to build ASATs capable of being launched from aircraft (eg., ASM-135), it is basically impossible for the A-4 to prevent India or China from rapidly disabling their space-based weaponry in the event of war. This would tend to make it highly destabilizing against enemies with ASAT weapons, since you would need to launch or lose. ABM weaponry is much harder than ASAT weaponry (mostly because you have a shorter response period)

If you think that the Indians and Chinese will not be able to figure out where the A-4 nukes are, think again. Look up "satellite watchers"--hobbyists who, using nothing more detailed than mission patches, launch dates, locations, and times, and (non-detailed) optical sightings are able to figure out a vast amount of information about even highly classified US satellites. The Indians and Chinese would almost certainly be able to figure out which ones were which--and even if they wouldn't, the likely value of UN satellites to their military forces in the next several decades will grow to the point that they will be targets as a matter of course, in the same way that a radar installation or air base would be, so every US, British, etc. satellite would be targeted.

So much for space-based weapons. Eh, this post is long enough *already* (and I've spent nearly an hour on writing it!)--I'll see about doing something else on Friday.

Truth is life raises some interesting points Calbear. Care to answer them? 'Cause reading TILs points, he makes some good ones.

Last edited:

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
Interesting response, thanks!

Regarding the stations and "modules". Module and modular are not the same term. A module is a separate part of a spacecraft to perform a specific task, a synonym would be section or unit. This is also the terminology used for the Apollo vehicle (Command module, Lunar Exploration module, Service module). Modular would indicate a series of identical, or at least similar prefabbed units, like the modular furniture or work cubes. The MOL are constructed in orbit. The RAF or RCAF modules are separate parts of the station (similar, albeit smaller, to the wings of a building).

Regarding the placement of weapons into orbit... yes there are difficulties, however, those difficulties are more than compensated by the advantages, especially if you are the only ones with weapons in orbit. Acting against an orbital weapon is quite obvious, is as direct an act of war as exists, and an exceptionally retail method of attempting to handle a counterforce strike, unlike the destruction of MIRV ICBM or of a SSBN prior to launching of weapons.

Since the weapons are in orbit and are not all bunched in a single cluster it is virtually impossible to strike at all of them with any sort of uniform time-on-target success, making a counterforce strike impossible. You take out MOL 2 and its weapon constellations as it enters your engagement envelope, MOL 3, 4, 5, & 6, each of which is over a different part of the sky can enable and launch their weapons, presenting a very large number of high speed inbounds (the weapons are not just going to be nudged out of orbit as they enter the proper window, although that is a possibility depending on the target, they have a booster attached), with the attack being coordinated to present a uniform time-on-target.

There are significant issues related to low orbit, none of them insurmountable, with orbital placement providing significant advantages, although at political cost.

Okay, I did promise some commentary on your space activities, CalBear, and even if I couldn't do it on Monday, or Tuesday, I did manage to think of some good stuff today...

First, I doubt the first space station would be modular and expandable. The *concept* of modular space stations just *did not appear* until the 1970s or so OTL; when big heavy lift boosters were dying out. Prior to that, space stations were considered to be either monolithic modules (like Skylab or the Salyuts) launched on a single flight or large facilities constructed in a semi-monolithic (non-modular, but still piece-by-piece) fashion in orbit, using raw construction materials. Basically, before anyone obtained operational experience and (on both sides!) developing a (purportedly) low-cost winged space shuttle, constructing space stations was thought of much like building things on Earth--you might build a monolithic 'building' that gets transported to the site in one piece (like "mobile" homes, tents, and so forth), or, for more complicated structures, using concrete, steel, and other building materials to directly build the building (rather than, say, building pre-constructed sections and assembling them on site). The relatively recent popularity of the last mentioned-method may be connected to the modularity of modern space stations. Regardless, I don't think they would have moved to "second-generation" (or even 1.5 generation, like Salyut 6/7) space stations until several smaller models were launched, even (maybe especially) without the influence of the Germans, so maybe during the 1980s ITTL.

Second, the placement of nuclear weapons into Earth orbit. Besides the obvious political complications of OTL (which, note, did not prevent the Soviets from developing and fielding, for a time, the FOBS system), there were and are a large number of very solid technical and financial reasons why nuclear weapons were never placed in space, and everyone agreed not to place them in space almost as soon as they had the capability to do so, for either ground attacks or space-based deterrence (notwithstanding the "Excalibur" program that was part of SDI--which, note, would not have worked).

First, space-based weapons--like almost anything in space--are incredibly expensive. Launching each and every pound of weight into space costs thousands of dollars, and modern satellites often cost millions, tens of millions, or hundreds of millions of dollars. While older satellites were cheaper, they were also much less capable and much less reliable (look at how many Discoverers the Air Force went through before getting their first successful recon bird, for instance). An ICBM, by contrast, costs only millions of dollars per unit, and can hit virtually any target that a space-based weapon can. Bombers are similarly cheap; only the SLBM may approach the space-based weapon in unit cost, and that is because of the fantastically expensive submarine needed. To get an adequate global coverage (ie., considering the next point, to be able to hit any given target in a reasonable period of time) would involve a large and highly disproportionate share of expenses be diverted to space-based weaponry.

Second, space-based weapons offer no--I mean no--advantage of any type over ground-based weapons. This certainly sounds like a startling statement--what of the Russian FOBS system, for instance?--but it is true. Space-based weapons are slower to react, more vulnerable to their environment, and more vulnerable to detection and neutralization than their Earth-borne counterparts. Due to the nature of orbital mechanics, it can take a long period of time for a weapon placed in an Earth orbit to reach the ground, depending on where in orbit that weapon is placed (one place in GEO will take a very long time; one in LEO not very long). While the deorbiting can be arranged such that the target nation is not aware of it until very shortly before the strike (at least, if they use only ground-based sensors on their territory, rather than a space-based detection network--although real-time detection would not be possible in the 1970s), the deorbiting itself must take place long before the desired target can be hit. In this, space-based weaponry occupies a strange place between bombers on the one hand and (say) SLBMs on the other, with the disadvantages of both and the advantages of neither. Like a bomber, it takes a long time from launch until impact, even if the enemy might not realize that it has been unleashed for some time; like the SLBM, it is not possible to recall a space-based weapon once it has been deployed (at most, you could direct it to impact the sea or some such).

Additionally, the very harsh space radiation environment (especially for some medium altitude orbits, which pass through the Van Allen belts, or GEO, which is above the Van Allen belts) will do a lot of damage to the warheads; yes, they will be shielded, but they will still almost certainly fail (due to radiation damage to their electronic components) at a higher rate than their ground-based counterparts. They will also be much harder to maintain when one does fail; since at this time the capability to move into a graveyard orbit (I doubt anyone would want to automatically deorbit a derelict nuclear weapon!) is unlikely to be built in at "end of service life", they would then likely clutter up whatever orbits were used, together with other debris originating from their launch and structure (look up how much space debris has come from Delta upper stages, for instance--I doubt engineering will be enormously better here!) While space debris wasn't really taken seriously at this time, collisions involving important weapons should still warrant attention.

Furthermore, all weapons in space have the huge disadvantage that they are extremely vulnerable, unlike virtually all types of Earth-based weaponry, to neutralization before use. It is impossible to build hardened shelters or silos in space, or to conceal weapons in the same fashion that a submarine does. While you can armor to some extent, if someone wants your satellite dead it will die--the KE problem, combined with the expense and difficulty of mass, is just too formidable. Combined with the fact that it is possible to convert fast-reaction solid ICBMs into satellite launchers (eg., the Minotaur series, from Orbital Sciences, which uses the Peacekeeper for the first 3 stages), or to build ASATs capable of being launched from aircraft (eg., ASM-135), it is basically impossible for the A-4 to prevent India or China from rapidly disabling their space-based weaponry in the event of war. This would tend to make it highly destabilizing against enemies with ASAT weapons, since you would need to launch or lose. ABM weaponry is much harder than ASAT weaponry (mostly because you have a shorter response period)

If you think that the Indians and Chinese will not be able to figure out where the A-4 nukes are, think again. Look up "satellite watchers"--hobbyists who, using nothing more detailed than mission patches, launch dates, locations, and times, and (non-detailed) optical sightings are able to figure out a vast amount of information about even highly classified US satellites. The Indians and Chinese would almost certainly be able to figure out which ones were which--and even if they wouldn't, the likely value of UN satellites to their military forces in the next several decades will grow to the point that they will be targets as a matter of course, in the same way that a radar installation or air base would be, so every US, British, etc. satellite would be targeted.

So much for space-based weapons. Eh, this post is long enough *already* (and I've spent nearly an hour on writing it!)--I'll see about doing something else on Friday.

I'm working on a somewhat more thorough reply, but I did want to chip in that I knew what you were talking about with the space stations and was responding in kind (ISS or Mir-type "second generation" stations, right?). I also had a thought--did the A-4 not think of using rail-mobile or road-mobile basing, combined with MIRVing to create a survivable, mobile (ie., hard to kill--and I doubt an attack on a nuclear train would be any less obvious, in intent or otherwise, than an ASAT attack!) nuclear force? The Soviets managed to do both IOTL, so I shouldn't imagine that the A-4 would face many technical difficulties in doing so, and it would still be a lot cheaper than basing weapons in space.

truth_is_life,

I think you're not giving the orbital weapons enough credit. The MOLs are more orbital control/command centers than missile silos. The weapons themselves are likely in large elliptical orbits that are quite difficult to track, let alone intercept. Done throughly, orbital weapons platforms can be quite deadly.

Also, I doubt "Rods From God" will be popular so much as non-nuclear ballistic missiles. ICBMs in this timeline are likely to be used more like B-2s in out timeline: precision global strike with conventional bombs...

Interesting response, thanks!

Regarding the stations and "modules". Module and modular are not the same term. A module is a separate part of a spacecraft to perform a specific task, a synonym would be section or unit. This is also the terminology used for the Apollo vehicle (Command module, Lunar Exploration module, Service module). Modular would indicate a series of identical, or at least similar prefabbed units, like the modular furniture or work cubes. The MOL are constructed in orbit. The RAF or RCAF modules are separate parts of the station (similar, albeit smaller, to the wings of a building).

Regarding the placement of weapons into orbit... yes there are difficulties, however, those difficulties are more than compensated by the advantages, especially if you are the only ones with weapons in orbit. Acting against an orbital weapon is quite obvious, is as direct an act of war as exists, and an exceptionally retail method of attempting to handle a counterforce strike, unlike the destruction of MIRV ICBM or of a SSBN prior to launching of weapons.

Since the weapons are in orbit and are not all bunched in a single cluster it is virtually impossible to strike at all of them with any sort of uniform time-on-target success, making a counterforce strike impossible. You take out MOL 2 and its weapon constellations as it enters your engagement envelope, MOL 3, 4, 5, & 6, each of which is over a different part of the sky can enable and launch their weapons, presenting a very large number of high speed inbounds (the weapons are not just going to be nudged out of orbit as they enter the proper window, although that is a possibility depending on the target, they have a booster attached), with the attack being coordinated to present a uniform time-on-target.

There are significant issues related to low orbit, none of them insurmountable, with orbital placement providing significant advantages, although at political cost.

Pondering the space based nuke issue, a few high yield bombs burst in low to mid orbit at the same time could really do a number on a space based network of orbiting nukes (I'm thinking neutron radiaton messing up the physics packages, emp taking out the comms etc..) Conceviably they could be launched at the same time by SSB's (or SSBN's ?) from various points arround the globe. Each SSB could be something along the lines of the first soviet attempts at such vessels in real life. The misiles don't need much of a guidance system for this mission. They just need to be able lift a suitable nuke to a suitable height. A timer could set of the nuke. Building suitable nukes for this mission is probably the hardest part of the plan and in real life a lot of the vulnerabilties were found thru actual nuclear tests in the atmosphere or low orbit space so the Indians or who ever in this time line may or may not be able to figure this out.

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
And (drumroll please...) Here is the final update.

Enjoy.

Saipan mass driver begins commercial operation for lower cost satellite/station component launch.

U.S. Congress passes bill funding permanent Lunar base. Funding is almost 80% out of defense budget as Earth based nuclear forces are eliminated and replaced by smaller number of space based weapons.

Youth movement, “New Homeland” makes its first appearance in German Administrative regions, with the largest and best organized group coming from Stettin University. With virtually 100% of the protesters having been born since the end of the War, it draws interest from other European youth who share the desire to be “rid of their grandparents mistakes”. While peaceful, the movement is a cause for concern as its stated goal is “bringing us back together”. Four Administrative regions immediately ban the movement, declaring it a menace to public safety.

Saipan Mass driver begin monthly launches of components for use on Moon.

Apache Dancer XXIV delivers first load of materials to Luna on November 24th. This trip marks the end of the groundbreaking Apache Dancer Program which has delivered some 23 Humans to the Lunar surface.

After nearly three decades of sometimes fitful construction the Quarantine Barriers surround Berlin and Nuremberg are declared complete. Comprised of three concrete walls six meters in height spaced twenty meter apart with paved roadways between to allow vehicle patrolling each wall has only three entry portals. It is expected that the Barriers will need to remain in place for at least 300 years, although some experts are of the opinion that the areas within the walls will never be truly safe for unprotected humans. One of the designers of the barrier is quoted as saying “we are not training a guard force, we are establishing a priesthood” when asked about how the Barrier maintenance will be handled.

French elections find ruling Nationalist Party losing seats to Christian Democrats and Realists. While neither Party gets more than 15% of the seats in the National Assembly and even fewer in the Senate, both out poll the main ultra nationalist Reunion Party, dropping it to the fifth line on the ballot.

Neil Davidson, Democrat and holder of a Medal of Honor earned on Red Beach 3, defeats President Barnes in closest vote in recent American history. Davidson wins by only three electoral votes. Congressional races are similarly close, with the Senate remaining Democrat 51-49 with two Freedom Party members who chose to caucus with the Democrats and the House having a two seat Republican majority.

Lunar Shuttle I conducts its first trans-lunar test flight. Constructed in orbit at Manned Orbital Lab 5 it is the first human designed and built vehicle that is entirely incapable of reaching the Earth’s surface making it the first true “spacecraft”.

Inderjit Kaur and Gurlal Singh become first humans to land on “Dark Side” of Luna. While lacking the raw drama of the earlier missions to the Moon due to lack of live TV coverage, the landing is hailed as a consummate technical achievement by experts around the world.

UK conducts second plebiscite in Continental Crown Dependencies. Results are somewhat surprising in that 22% of electorate vote for full union with Britain as a nation within United Kingdom under conditions similar to those governing relations between England and Scotland. Analysis of the voting pattern shows that this choice has supplanted the independence vote and that the full union option has over 80% support among voters under the age of 40, while reunion with France has scant support except among those over the age of 70, where reunion is favored by 34% of those polled.

Indian/Chinese relations are complicated by India’s refusal to back a Soviet/Chinese plan to end all contact with the “Imperialist West”. Despite this considerable setback, Chinese forces conduct a series of military maneuvers close to British and Portuguese territory while official Chinese media outlets call for the expulsion of all foreign “squatters”. Red army units conduct similar activities near the Russian/Soviet frontier, prompting the Tsar’s Government to bring its British trained and equipped forces to high alert. Showing a surprising degree of common sense, Red Army forces conduct no maneuvers within 300 kilometers of the U.S./Soviet border.

For the first time since the war, European deaths from all the diseases used as bio weapons by the Reich falls below 5,000. Deaths from Anthrax also reach a post war low across the former German state as new, more effective anti-biotic formulas become widely available

Mid Term U.S. elections feature the election of the first Freedom Party representative not from Western Alaska, as Wyoming goes Freedom after a wild three way contest.

Lunar Shuttle III make first Lunar landing by new design. Capable of supporting up to five astronauts on Luna for seven days and with nearly twice the cargo capacity of the Dancer Lander, it provides a platform for serious construction efforts of the permanent U.S. Lunar base. Designed to be reusable (a term that proves to be somewhat optimistic as close to a third of the Lander requires replacement or renovation after each mission) the Lander and its eventual five siblings are the heart of an extremely ambitious USAF led lunar construction project.

Saipan mass driver begins to launch construction materials for lunar base project on bi-weekly basis

India establishes the first long term undersea habitat for researchers near the Andaman Islands. The habitat is the first step in what India expects to be both a scientific and commercially lucrative program.

Lockheed Martin completes “military use only” mass driver complex at Andersen AFB, Guam.

UN and India negotiate new codicil to Law of the Seas that covers commercial exploitation of deep sea resources. New agreements also establish extremely strong protection for wreck sites of warships and of vessels sunk during wartime, as well as blanket protection for all wrecks resting at depths greater than 5,000 feet/1,500 meters. Surprisingly, France expresses interesting in becoming a party to the overall Treaty. This apparent softening of French positions toward relations with the “Western Allies” is greeted with considerable optimism.

Small but vocal “Tax Relief” movement begins in U.S. with members questioning the need for “Buck Rogers” defense spending.

Brazilian auto import sales exceed the total sales of Chrysler for the first time.

New Homeland Party takes control of legislature in two German Administrative regions. Incidents of violence toward occupation forces, mainly rock throwing and barricades increase across all 15 regions.

Sales of small electronics imported from South America exceed 50% of total sales in the U.S. and roughly 30% of world-wide sales.

With the “personal computer” having entered the home of roughly one U.S. household in 10, and with even greater percentages in Canada, the U.S. government enables civilian access to a heretofore government/military only communication system that allows computers to send data packets. While little noticed at the time, this is the birth of “The Grid”, that boon and bane to today’s productivity and communication.

Australian Space Launch Facility open near Darwin. Launch systems are Lockheed Martin designs built in partnership with Australian aerospace industry.

Serious border skirmishes erupt between Russia and the USSR in late March. RAF aircraft, in supports of Russian Army troops and their British advisors conduct the largest series of raids sine the Liberian police action.

Despite heavy losses Red Army forces continue probing attacks and artillery duels until June 23rd when four flights of SB-1 dipped out of the lower edge of the exosphere over Krasnoyarsk and droped canisters containing leaflets and loose playing cards. The cards are, significantly, from heavy bomber squadrons from all of the A4 nations. The cards, all Ace of Spades emblazoned with the symbols of the respective bomber groups on the back, are generally known as “Death Cards”, traditionally left by American Army Rangers at the sites of ambushes “so the %^#& knew who came to visit”. The message of the cards, especially delivered by aircraft that Soviet air defenses were not even aware of until they left trailing sonic booms is crystal clear, even to the most hide bound Politburo member. By June 25th Red Army provocations cease and by July 1st no Red Army formation greater than company size can be seen on A4 satellite photos within 100 kilometers of the border.

President Davidson is reelected with 57% of the popular vote. The Freedom Party gains an additional seven seats in the House, raising its total to 9 as voters increasingly endorse the Party’s pro-Defense platform even as several House seats change hands in New England with advocates of lowering the income tax rate to below 65% defeating “stay the course” candidates.

French Elections find 29% of the National Assembly seats going to Christian Democrats, 15% to Realists. The Reunion Party has its worst poll results since 1964 with members managing to hold onto only 4% of the seats in the Assembly. Christian Democrats also gain 19 seats in the French Senate.

First habitat structure for U.S. lunar bas is completed. Facility allows construction teams to take off suits and move around in low pressure structure. Main achievement is actually knowledge gained in construction itself, including practical application of theories related to digging and assembly of parts pre fabricated in orbit.

Indian Navy established deepest underwater habitat to date some 285 meters below the surface off the coast of Ceylon.

First long term (28 days) team of residents arrives on Luna. Lunar Lander IV is kept on site to act as emergency shelter. Construction of next two habitats continues.

Andersen AFB mass driver launches first cargo of low level nuclear waste into orbit following six successful tests with inert cargos. Once in orbit waste casket directed into an orbit that ensures that it will never return to Earth. Long term plans are to eventually boost the waste into a flight path that will result in the waste falling into the Sun or out of the Solar System entirely.

Islam Separatist Party makes major inroads in Indian elections. Several fundamentalist Hindu parties also manage to establish a politically noticeable presence

USAF formally commissions LeMay AFB, first permanent manned lunar base.

The Marianas, site of several strategic U.S. assets, become 52nd U.S. state. New state has the 3rd smallest population but the largest total area as it encompasses wide swath of Central and South Pacific. Proponents of statehood note that Guam has consistently voted for statehood for nearly a century, as has Saipan since 1952, noting that area is critical to the defense of the United States of America and has a very high veteran population.

Flag fanatics, long driven to despair by the odd 51 star design, rejoice as things are once again evened out.

Tax reduction movement, having been unable to make headway in Congress turns its attention to state and local tax issues. In a major coup, a Proposition reducing residential property taxes by 50% passes in Claifornia. A similar measure, aimed at commercial property, fails to gain the needed majority, falling some 5,000 votes short of passage.

Mid term elections show increasing split among American electorate with both traditional parties experiencing leakage of members to the Freedom Party and to the new “Liberal Democrats”. The Liberal Democrats espouse policies that are the mirror image of Freedom (lower defense spending, reduction if American interference abroad, with savings channeled into social programs). The mixture, along with members of the traditional parties attempting to solidify their voting base, makes for some of the liveliest debates on the House Floor since before the Civil War. Fortunately, unlike during that rather turbulent point in American history, no fist fights break out on the Chamber Floor.

USN, taking full advantage of experience gained at LeMay AFB begins construction of O’Hare NAS.

RCAF/RAF module opens at Lemay AFB.

USN reduces active CNBG to eight, leaving the U.S. with the lowest number of active aircraft carriers since 1943.

New Homeland Party organized massive demonstrations across much of Western Europe, drawing large crowds with its message of renewal and “look to the future, not the past!”

Third and last solar collection farm open to provide power to LeMay AFB Luna. Thanks to extensive efforts made to improve solar array efficiency in terrestrial applications, the sites on Luna reach breakthrough performance

Darwin Launch complex open 4th and final mass driver. With completion of last track, Darwin facility now boasts almost half of the global orbital launching facilities. With ready access to Solar energy farms and three nuclear reactors, Darwin facility is also most cost effective facility in operation.

Riots break out at a Dutch “European Renewal” rally in Rotterdam following several weeks of increasingly loud debate between members of European Renewal (a spin off of New Homeland) and more conservative parties which oppose the idea of “European Unity” (which are recipient of considerable support, much of it behind the scenes, from the UK & U.S.). While no one is killed damage is estimated to exceed $2,000,000 due to fires and looting in the chaos.

Moderate Democrat Melissa Anderson is elected as the first female President of the United States. Election is also the first since 1872 where more than three candidates receive votes in the Electoral College, with Freedom landing three votes and the Liberal Democrats having a single vote cast. Legislative voting is equally spread out, with neither major party gaining a clear majority.

USN commissions O’Hare NAS, Luna.

Nationalist government in France loses Presidency and control of Assembly to coalition of Liberal Democrats and Realists. Shortly after taking office French President formally renounces France’s claims to overseas departments that have long since declared their independence and indicates willingness to “normalize relations” with A4.

U.S. mid term elections results indicate continued growth in support for third Parties and increasing unhappiness among voters due to recent “economic slowdown”

UK conducts third plebiscite in Continental Crown Dependencies. Results show that 48% of electorate desires full union with Britain as a nation within United Kingdom. With progressively fewer older voters remaining (less than 4% of the voters casting ballots were old enough to remember pre-war France).

Indian undersea miners make first commercially viable extractions from “Black Smokers” located in international waters near Java. Operating at depths far below those accessible to humans, the extraction work is conducts by remote controlled submersibles.

Launch silo construction for USAF 1st Space Deterrent wing completed 5 months ahead of schedule.

RAN module completed at O’Hare NAS, Luna.

Installation of 54th and final Raptor MIRV missile completed at LeMay AFB.

United States decommissions last 12 ground based ICBM.

Melissa Anderson reelected as President. Republics gain control of the House by partnering with Freedom Party members.

1st successful test of Large Mass Driver (after four failures) located at O’Hare NAS, Mare Imbrium, Luna. System is “designed to allow transport of materials and personnel from lunar surface to both Lunar and Earth Orbit for habitat and ship construction”.

New Homelands begins drive to have European signatories to the Barcelona Treaty denounce the permanent dismemberment of Germany. Using slogan “Together Europe can not fail”, this effort, and its underlying “Europe IS Equal” message begins to gain momentum across the Western part of the Continent whose population looks at the economic miracles of Brazil, Argentina, and especially India with open enevy.

Prussian Uprising begins on April 11th with carefully planned attacks on Polish occupation forces. Rebels are found to be using weapons originating in China, although tracing their movement from Asia to Stettin proves to be impossible. After five days of fighting, as Polish and Philippine forces seem to be gaining the upper hand against the rebels, all Treaty troops suddenly withdraw from Stettin at sunset on April 16th.

At 03:52 local time, April 17th, the first of three 10 ton kinetic warheads strike Stettin after 60 hour transit from O’Hare NAS. Each package enters Earth’s atmosphere at slightly under 20,000 miles per hour (having accelerated following entry into Earth’s gravity well) with initial weight of 23,000 pounds. Each package loses roughly 10% of total mass (mostly ablative ceramic tiles) from friction of entering atmosphere. Average CEP is under 1,000 meters from aim point. Total energy released per impact is estimated at 57.5 kilotons. Impacts cause negligible radiation release above normal background. City of Stettin, population 275,000 is virtually obliterated.

Surviving rebels surrender to Philippine forces on April 19th.

Prussian/UN war ends on April 20th.

UN Supreme Council, with India abstaining, affirms that U.S. strike was fully justified under terms of Barcelona Treaty that ended WW II.

U.S. mothballs last active SSBN.

Europe IS Equal movement collapses as it is linked to Prussian insurgents.

India abrogates mutual defense treaty with China based on intelligence showing Chinese collaboration with Prussian insurgents. China’s claims of innocence fall on deaf ears.

UN member states all reduce diplomatic presence in both China and the USSR, as mounting evidence is found linking both countries to Prussian War.

USSR agrees to settle all disputes regarding territory with Russia. Agreement is heavily in Tsar’s favor, and eliminate one of the world’s hottest friction points.

Construction of second Mass driver is completed at O’Hare NAS, Luna.

Construction of Mass driver complex begins at LeMay AFB, Luna.

A4 powers decree that all future orbital cargoes must be launched using A4 launchers. Decree promises that launch costs will be maintained below current per pound cost of launching of satellites or manned systems by non-A4 countries. Same decree flatly states that any unauthorized launch over 65 miles altitude will be considered direct act of war.

USN (Orbital) Mars Explorer vehicle begins construction despite some Congressional budget hawk protests.

USSR agrees to withdraw all military forces from Demilitarized Zone along its side of the U.S./Soviet border to depth of 300 kilometers and allows U.S. unlimited right of overflight to monitor compliance.

USAF/USN orbital forces redesignated as Space Command (Joint). (Joint) is immediately ignored by global media.

Continental Crown Dependencies sign full Treaty of Union with United Kingdom after two years of closely held negotiations with the Dependencies and with Lyon.

Freedom Party, fueled by recent events in Prussia and its aftermath, captures more seats in House than either the Republican or Democrats in mid-term elections.

Planned launch of Space Command research mission to Mars.

Status
Not open for further replies.