The Anglo/American - Nazi War

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Allied solution to the difficulties presented by these “No Go” regions remains controversial to this day.

Hmm... That doesn't sound too good...

Given Himmler's willingness to negotiate when the chips were down in OTL, combined with the fact that he was obviously an absolutely blithering moral imbecile, I wouldn't put it past him to attempt some sort of doomed attempt at a negotiated peace even at this late stage. I'm sure some of the other leaders will be following Goering's example...

:eek: :eek: :eek:

So Germany has now had just about the full spectrum of WMD unleashed on it, albeit accidentally in this case. One of the best things about this TL has been Cal's knowledge of the effects of such weapons on a nation, for that reason alone it is essential reading for anyone.

I'm trying to imagine how unbelieveably shit conditions must be for all those caught in the 20% of Germany still outside Allied control. Something tells me the Allied vets are going to have a high rate of PTSD in the following years. :(

Could the mutiny be seen as a way to save the skins of the former Heer? Even though Manstein and Galland have been out to pasture for years, I can't see them escaping the rope. It would be interesting if the Allies even try for any kind of "Nuremberg-esque" setup.

The forces in the 'hot-zones' are cut-off, and unable to make any meaningful attacks. The same might not be said for any Nazi forces further east. We know that there has been a mainly British landing made in this area, how is this fairing? My thinking is that this will continue north, making a junction with forces heading east through the North German Plain. Once all German territory is either secured or quarantined, then there is the matter of the German 'Settlers' out east…

Good update. I wonder what "controversial" actions come next?

I think that normally, the first concern of any generals would be for the troops, and second for the civilians. So I am guessing the controversial actions would be a strict quarantine for a period of time, both to protect troops, and to limit the spread of disease. And also to keep suicide bombers and such away. I think this would also be the course of action because there would have been no detailed information on exactly what was going on in those areas and what the scale of the danger was.

Of course this means that the people trapped in those areas are in deep trouble when their food runs out and the diseases spread through the population.

Question for Calbear: what were the reasons that the leadership did not immediately surrender after Hitler's death, as they did in OTL?

" By June 27th Allied troops controlled over 80% of German territory. The remaining Nazi controlled zones were within the more heavily contaminated Anthrax Zones. "

Wow...after reading this my estimate seems absurd.

Excellent update, I'm glad to see Vienna surviving, that was a sincere wish of mine :) The UN plan for the no go zones is either one) quarantine or b)nuking it from orbit: it's the only way to be sure.

Seeing as Vienna is my #1 choice for visiting if I ever go to Europe, I was happily surprised that it servived this grimdark TL. :)

On the other hand, the snip about brainwashed 14 year-olds fighting to the death against the desperate old veterans made my jaw drop in horror... an all to frequent occurrance when I read these updates. :(

nuking it from orbit: it's the only way to be sure.

and the picture.

633673088039538329-nukethemfromorbit.jpg

I'm impressed CalBear with the update. It just makes me that much more excited when it comes to the final conclusion of the conflict and the aftermath.

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I just wanted to be the latest to heap my praises on the best TL on the board. CalBear makes Saturday evening a weekly event. As many previous posters have said, I can't wait to see what emerges from the postwar hellscape called Europe.

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I just wanted to be the latest to heap my praises on the best TL on the board. CalBear makes Saturday evening a weekly event. As many previous posters have said, I can't wait to see what emerges from the postwar hellscape called Europe.

Actually, from the postwar hellscape called the part of Earth not in the Western Hemisphere.

It's just so depressing, but so wonderfully written.

Also, to be honest, so plausible given what sick f***s the Nazis were.

Mike Turcotte

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
Is it just me or are a lot of the actions/decisions taken by the Allies controversial? Just saying.

No, you are right. Many of them are hotly debated in ALT 2011. This rather like OTL, intentionally.

So many of the decisions made by the Allies to do, or not do, something have generated tremendous debate and still do today. A very partial list includes: the use of the Atomic Bomb, the Bombing Offensive, the decision not to bomb Auschwitz, letting the Red Army take Berlin, the abandonment of the Poles, Market Garden, etc. There are bookshelves dedicated just to these individual decisions, not to mention countless chapters of general WW II histories.

The decision to mention that events still generate controvery is, I feel, in keeping with the "author's voice" of the imaginary writer of the history book represented in the T/L.

Thanks for the feedback on this style decision and the chance to explain it.

Status
Not open for further replies.