Testing for plausibility/thoughts on effects: More Machiavellian Guangxu Emperor; TL?

wormyguy

Banned
A More Machiavellian Guangxu Emperor

Resident China experts! What do you think of this little scenario of mine? Does it make some amount of sense? What happens after? (I'm a bit loath to make it into a full TL just yet, without gauging plausibility).

June 11, 1898

Emperor Guangxu surveyed the council. For the first time, the Empress Dowager had allowed him to rule in his own right, though he knew she thought him to be only a weakling puppet. He would soon prove her wrong.

He began to speak:

"We have displeased Heaven with our toleration of the barbarian and the foreigner. The barbarians ravage China with their abominable customs, heathenistic religions, and the black stench of opium. We must drive the foreigner from the shores of China back into the sea from which he came. The Japanese barbarian right now squats on Chinese territory throughout Our great Kingdom. He has leased territory in the city of Tientsin from Us. He has not ever paid Our lease we have granted him on that land. We shall not allow this to continue. The Empress Dowager has wisely ordered the fearless Kansu army to guard Our Forbidden City. They shall march to Tientsin and force the Japanese barbarian either to pay Us the full lease or remove them by force of arms. Let it be done."

4 hours later:

The Empress Dowager could not believe what the eunuch was telling her. Guangxu had always been a dull boy, not given to his own thoughts or ideas. She was not one to be unprepared, however, so she had ordered General Dong to Peking to keep a close eye on the young emperor should he do anything rash under his "independent" rule. Somehow he had gotten wind of her scheme and dispatched her ace-in-the-hole to Tientsin. What's more, it was to attack the Japanese barbarians, something which her anti-foreigner conservative faction was strongly in support of. To call off the attack would be to greatly diminish her position in their eyes. She knew that Guangxu was feeble-minded. She would allow the attack to take place, and simply execute whatever eunuchs had betrayed her later on. Nevertheless, she could not allow Guangxu to gain the trust of the council...

June 20, 1898

The eunuch was shaking as he read the telegram to the Emperor. "The Kansu army is no more... General Dong is dead. The Japanese barbarians had a force twice as large... They desecrated the tomb of Qianlong Emperor!"

The Emperor wordlessly motioned for the eunuch to leave, as shouting and commotion rarely heard in the Forbidden City burst out. The Beiyang Army soldiers charged through the gates and within minutes the Empress Dowager was dragged kicking and screaming from the Summer Palace and thrown at the Emperor's feet. A sobbing eunuch was produced by the soldiers. The Emperor's father, Prince Chun, began to question the eunuch.

"Did you send a telegram?"

"Y-yes, honorable Prince."

"What did the telegram say?"

"T-t-that the Kansu Army was to attack the Japanese in Tianjin, most revered and honorable Prince."

"Who did you send it to?"

"T-t-the Japanese Consulate in Tientsin, o merciful, glorious Prince!"

"Who told you to send this telegram?"

"I-I-I sent it myself, auspiciously crowned in Heaven Prince, may you live nine thousand of nine thousand years!"

"Do not lie. Who told you to send the telegram?"

"T-t-the Empress Dowager!" cried the eunuch, fainting.

The Emperor now spoke:

"We have been most treacherously betrayed. It," he said, pointing at the Empress Dowager, "has conspired with the Japanese barbarians against the Great Qing and China herself. It has committed treason, for which the punishment is death."

"Please, great Emperor, be merciful!" pleaded Cixi. "I have been your most faithful servant since you were a small baby! Please, my son, show compassion to this old woman, who is your most steadfast companion since your birth!"

"We pardon the despicable hag," said Guangxu.

"Oh, greatest, most merciful, wisest of Emperors," said Cixi, "divine ruler of ten thousand cities, o Heavenly-inspired, glorious Emperor! May you rule ten thousand of ten thousand of ten thousand years, my son!"

"We are not its son," said Guangxu, "and it is no longer an Empress. It is banned from the Forbidden City. It shall go out into the mud and live among the pigs and goats, as a peasant."

The old woman staggered to her feet, tripping and falling over as she attempted to walk without her attendants and while eunuchs and soldiers kicked and spat at her.

"Let it be known," said Guangxu, "We shall countenance no deception in Our court."

Last edited:

wormyguy

Banned
Alright, I'm making this a TL.

The odious Manchu tyrants cannot hold onto power much longer, when even their bizarre palace intrigues have begun to cause lasting harm to the Chinese people. Even the superstitious peasant must realize that they can no longer claim any Mandate of Heaven. - Diary of Sun Yat-Sen

Cixi lay in bed. She had fallen ill with grief after her banishment. Though her "peasant" life more closely resembled fashionable house arrest, the sheer stress had broken her formidable will. She hardly noticed as soldiers burst into her room a second time and took her to a waiting carriage, which took off at a brisk gallop.

Emperor Guangxu stared at the ministers with a trained haughtiness. "The practice of idleness," he said, "saps not only the body but also the spirit. And yet, many even within Our Imperial City are lavished with silver for their indolence. Let it be known that the treasury may only be expended upon useful activities, and cast the beggars out into the street. Let it be known, also, that ignorance is the cause of idleness. All who administrate this nation must be tested not only of their knowledge of Confucius but also of mathematics and the other useful sciences..."

Cixi felt her strength returning already as she stared at the delicate cherry blossom design painted on her teacup. The Japanese man seated across from her might have been a barbarian, but at least he was a barbarian she could work with...

You need Guangxu to eliminate the conservative elements in his court and in Chinese society while outmaneuvering Han nationalists while outmaneuvering Europe and Japan while outmaneuvering the eunuchs.

At this stage, all that can really happen is an orderly as possible transition to Han Chinese rule. Guangxu himself will come to the exact same conclusion as Sun Zhongshan. If you push the POD back a bit further, say have the Chinese win the Sino-French War or the First Sino-Japanese War, you might, just might be able to have Guangxu get a reform package through and stay in power long enough for it to be implemented.

wormyguy

Banned
You need Guangxu to eliminate the conservative elements in his court and in Chinese society while outmaneuvering Han nationalists while outmaneuvering Europe and Japan while outmaneuvering the eunuchs.

At this stage, all that can really happen is an orderly as possible transition to Han Chinese rule. Guangxu himself will come to the exact same conclusion as Sun Zhongshan. If you push the POD back a bit further, say have the Chinese win the Sino-French War or the First Sino-Japanese War, you might, just might be able to have Guangxu get a reform package through and stay in power long enough for it to be implemented.

When did I ever say he'd stay in power or be successful?