Something Serious Has Happened on Air Force One (a Tl/story by Geon)

This is going to be catastrophic for the rebels. They have just killed favorable or even neutral press coverage. Also, this level of escalation will encourage counter-escalation by others. Reporters will need armed guards.

The rebels have gone over a serious line, and IMVHO, the National Guard is no longer sufficient. Some people will want to declare the county to be in a stae of armed insurrection, and given them a set time to lay down their arms and surrender. (The time to be computed, partly, on how long it takes to get overwhelming force into place.

Inform the county that this is not a law enforcement operation, but will be treated as a military one. (I'd be likely to name the unit "Task Force Sherman," but that's a step too far. Task force Carthage comes to mind also.)

They've escalated...inform them that they can't escalate as far as Uncle Sam. Remind them of the constitutional definition of treason, which includes making war on the United States.
That is likely a step too far, but there will be people agitating for just that reply, followed by treason trials.

This is going to be catastrophic for the rebels. They have just killed favorable or even neutral press coverage. Also, this level of escalation will encourage counter-escalation by others. Reporters will need armed guards.

The rebels have gone over a serious line, and IMVHO, the National Guard is no longer sufficient. Some people will want to declare the county to be in a stae of armed insurrection, and given them a set time to lay down their arms and surrender. (The time to be computed, partly, on how long it takes to get overwhelming force into place.

Inform the county that this is not a law enforcement operation, but will be treated as a military one. (I'd be likely to name the unit "Task Force Sherman," but that's a step too far. Task force Carthage comes to mind also.)

They've escalated...inform them that they can't escalate as far as Uncle Sam. Remind them of the constitutional definition of treason, which includes making war on the United States.
That is likely a step too far, but there will be people agitating for just that reply, followed by treason trials.
That and there is no definite proof that a black group caused this. We know, but the world doesn't know. And the people who can collaberate this are dead. Just because a group claims responsibility doesn't make it them

That and there is no definite proof that a black group caused this. We know, but the world doesn't know. And the people who can collaberate this are dead. Just because a group claims responsibility doesn't make it them
There is proof that a white gang is declaring that some people are, by virtue of their profession, not allowed to travel freely, have kidnapped a reporter, and more. I can easily see some groups wanting to use Sherman's solution to white insurrection.

Kennedy invoked the Insurrection Act only a few years previously under much less serious circumstances. The only question here is if the governor is going to ask the President to do so, or if the President will do it by himself.

Kennedy invoked the Insurrection Act only a few years previously under much less serious circumstances. The only question here is if the governor is going to ask the President to do so, or if the President will do it by himself.
I could see the South being put under temporary martial law until order is restored. The downside could be that the Democrats lose the region in 1964 to the Republicans.

Chapter Forty-Two Part 3

Geon

Donor
he White House; The Oval Office, 8:15 p.m. EST:

President John McCormack had called a hurried meeting to discuss the crisis in Macon and the South. Present were Attorney General Robert Kennedy, Head of the F.B.I., J. Edgar Hoover – hurriedly recalled from Macon, Head of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, Maxwell D. Taylor, and Speaker of the House, Carl Albert.

After summarizing the events witnessed by the nation on the nightly news barely an hour and a half earlier the President continued. “I have been contacted by the heads of all the major networks as well as those of several of the nations’ leading newspapers demanding that I ensure the safety of Mr. Rather. It’s been made crystal clear by C.B.S. already they won’t be paying any ransoms and none of the news media are going to bow to the demands of what one of the presidents of a major newspaper called ‘those red necked thugs.’”

President McCormack sighed. “Gentlemen I don’t see much choice. This vigilante group in Macon that kidnaped Mr. Rather has crossed the line. If we let them get away with this, then it will be a major blow to any news agency that wants to fairly report on race or anything else in this country. If we give in here other groups will use similar tactics to try to manipulate when, where, and how the press may operate. That is a serious danger to our First Amendment rights.”

The President continued, “I have therefore decided to send the 101st Airborne Division into not only Macon, Georgia, but also Atlanta, and Montgomery, Alabama. I will also be calling for the nationalization of the National Guards in Alabama and Georgia to ensure the Guard there cooperates fully with the Army. General, are your troops ready to deploy?”

“Yes sir, give the word and within two hours I can have advance units of the 101st in all three cities, “replied General Taylor.

The President nodded. “Once the troops are deployed, they are to conduct an aggressive search with the Guard for Mr. Rather. They will be responsible for ending the violence in these key cities by any means necessary. I am done with playing cautiously here. Any group inciting violence in this country will not be tolerated. I want all the members of the KKK and similar groups either suspected or actual rounded up for questioning. Mr. Hoover, you will provide General Taylor with a list of all those you know to be part of these groups. Likewise, any members of groups who are trying to agitate trouble among the black community are to be arrested. Those who are innocent of any crime will be released later pending investigation.”

Hoover bristled. “Mr. President I would ask that we not take such extreme measures. I have several investigations going on that depend on informants in some of these organizations. If we do as you suggest my sources will be gone completely and much progress in several investigations will be lost perhaps permanently.”

“It can’t be helped Edgar. This has gone beyond just a few crimes this is now a matter of an armed group dictating to the American people what they will or will not hear on the news. This ends now!” The President made the declaration angrily sweating as he did.

“Are there any other questions?” The President asked. “Then General if you would give the orders, I will have a Presidential declaration signed within the hour authorizing the deployment of your troops.” General Taylor saluted and then left. Shortly afterword a very unhappy Hoover left followed by Bobby.

Bobby looked at Hoover and said, “For the record Edgar, I agree with you. An undercover team might be more appropriate here to rescue Rather. But you can guess the pressure he’s under now,” Kennedy said looking back toward the doors to the Oval Office.

Hoover shook his head. “I’m just thinking that it’s unlikely we’ll be able to get operatives in these organizations again any time in the near future. They’ll be more paranoid than ever. And that will make them even more dangerous."

Back in the Oval Office Speaker of the House, Carl Albert shook his head. “The Congress will certainly support what you’re doing Mr. President although we are likely to hear howls from the delegations from Alabama and Georgia as well as many other states in the Deep South about a Second Northern Invasion.”

“John,” Carl continued,” You know that what you’re doing could be a critical blow to our chances to hold the White House much less the Congress come elections. The sympathy vote for Kennedy and Johnson is starting to evaporate rapidly according to the latest polls. Doing this could turn all the Deep South Republican for the first time since before the Civil War. And that would be an absolute disaster.”

“I know Carl,” replied John McCormack. “But there’s more at stake here than an election and you know that. This violence has to be stopped now before it tears this nation apart. If that means we lose in November, so be it. I know one thing, after the election this will all be someone else’s problem.”

Even as he spoke John McCormack felt a growing pain in his chest and wondered if this was something he should speak with his physician about.

Even as he spoke John McCormack felt a growing pain in his chest and wondered if this was something he should speak with his physician about.
af6586221d8262d02fca8c156cc7d4269338991d649393a072520fd6466b9856.jpg

Either McCormack dies and Carl Albert becomes President, or, a more interesting option: McCormack suffers a heart attack and is rendered incapable of the duties of the President. RFK then steps up, ends the crisis in the South, and then is seen by most as a hero of the nation and when McCormack recovers he finally convinces him to run for President.

Either McCormack dies and Carl Albert becomes President, or, a more interesting option: McCormack suffers a heart attack and is rendered incapable of the duties of the President. RFK then steps up, ends the crisis in the South, and then is seen by most as a hero of the nation and when McCormack recovers he finally convinces him to run for President.
I'd like that.

Face_detail%2C_Speaker_John_McCormack_%28cropped%29.jpg

President John McCormack decided to put out the Fire, by stamping it out with Soldiers Boots,
Next to that Sea blockade at North Vietnam
and now growing pain in his chest
1963/64 will become turbulent years here

Geon, this is your best work so far !

President McCormack is going to go down as a great man thrust into an Office he did not want who heroic good deeds or a man who became a Tyrant.

Looking forward to more!

Chapter Forty Three: Mercy and Judgment

Geon

Donor
Author's note: I don't know what the law is in Alabama for third-degree murder, so this is my best guess, anyone who is better versed on this is more than welcome to correct me.
-----------------------------
Chapter 43: Mercy and Judgment​

Montgomery, Alabama; Federal Court Building; February 10, 1964, 9:00 A.M. EDT:

It was a crowded, and closely guarded courtroom that Billy Robert McKay was led into that cold February morning. Outside the building Montgomery police, National Guard troops, and Army troops from the 101st Airborne were guarding the courthouse and other government buildings against rioters. The situation n Montgomery was still volatile and there were still reports of violence throughout the city, but the presence of the police, the Guard, and the Army had quickly turned the tide. Hopefully peace in the city might be restored soon.

Along with the inevitable number of reporters were members of Grace Baptist Church, including Miss Minnie May. The elderly woman had gotten up early to visit the jail where Billy Robert was being held but when she was arrived she was told that no one was allowed to see him until after sentencing. This morning the elderly lady had prepared some hot cinnamon rolls for Billy Robert and the officers. One of them promised Miss May that he would make sure Billy Robert got at least two of them.

That gratified Miss Minnie May. Her gift from the Lord she believed was being a good cook. And to her cooking was like praying. She offered prayer over everything she baked. The idea of Billy Robert going into his sentencing hearing on an empty stomach was simply not right, not right at all. Later, Detective Peterson had come up to her and told her Billy Robert had two of her delicious rolls with his coffee and asked the Detective to thank her profusely.

At 9 a.m. Billy Robert was brought into the courtroom handcuffed and shackled. At the sight of the young man being led in with his hands and feet shackled Miss Minnie May exclaimed, “Oh now why do you want to be leading him around like that? Take those things off him, he ain’t going to run away!” The exclamation drew a smile from the guards and from Billy Robert. Similar expressions came from some of the other members of Grace Baptist Church. After a moment’s consultation with the officer in charge, the officer leading Billy Robert in removed the handcuffs and leg shackles.

A few minutes later the judge entered, and all rose as he took his place at his bench. After gaveling the court to order he looked at Billy Robert and spoke.

“William Robert McKay, you have pleaded guilty to being an accessory to the bombing at Grace Baptist Church that claimed the lives of eleven people. Are you prepared to hear the sentence against you?” In a calm quiet voice Billy Robert replied, “Yes, your Honor.”

The judge paused. Billy Robert had pleaded guilty to being a party to the bombing. Under Alabama law that made him guilty of First-Degree Murder, punishable by life imprisonment or the death penalty. But, after Billy Robert had entered his plea, the judge had received a petition signed by all of the members of Grace Baptist who had survived the bombing and even the families of a few of those who had died asking him to show leniency and mercy to the young man. Among the signatories was the now nation-wide known “pie lady of Montgomery”, Minnie May. In addition, a letter asking for leniency had arrived from a gentleman with the initials MLK.

After taking a moment to consider all this the judge said, “William Robert McKay, it is the decision of this court that you will be sentenced for this crime but not on First Degree murder, rather you will be sentenced on eleven counts of Third-Degree murder all of which will be served concurrently. You are hereby sentenced to 20 years in the state penitentiary with time off to be considered for good behavior. This court stands adjourned! A bang of the gavel and the proceedings were done.

Several members of Grace Baptist Church looked satisfied and happy and with Miss Minnie May leading the way headed down to where Billy Robert was being led out of the courtroom. Miss Minnie May completely heedless of the guard came right up to Billy Robert and put her arm around his shoulder (no mean feat given Billy Robert was taller than her). Then she exclaimed, “The good Lord will be with you child, and don’t you worry. I’ll be visiting you each week with one of my pies. You just behave yourself in prison and you’ll be out in no time. I believe that. You were and are in my prayers every night!”

Other members of Grace Baptist gathered around Billy Robert and echoed the words of Miss Minnie May. Billy Robert teared up and wept saying simply, “I’m so sorry.” One of the members whose wife had died in the explosion put his hand on the man’s arm. “That’s all we and the Lord needed to hear son. You’re in his hands, remember that.”

Billy Robert nodded and was still in tears as the guard led him out. No one seemed to notice the guard was also trying to hold back some tears.

I do worry that going this easy on the bombers will lead to more attacks "We can blow up these N****** families and they'll bake you a pie"