Smallpox 9/11: a TL

Prologue: Patient Zero

It was almost midnight, but Khalid al-Mihdhar was not tired. In a dingy, rundown apartment in New York, he laboured endlessly over a Koran, head bent, and palms pressed together. Finishing a final prayer, he got up, and slowly, as if in a dream, walked towards his kitchen table. On the table was a fully assembled syringe, filled with a white liquid. It had cost Al Qaeda dearly to obtain the contents of the syringe, but now the “Great Satan” would feel Allah’s wrath. He picked up the syringe, and slowly pushed it into his arm. With a push, the liquid from the syringe flowed into his veins.

Actually, smallpox is more difficult to spread and easier to isolate/contain than most people think. There may be fiction stories about infected terrorists who dress up as Santa Claus and spread the disease to children in department stores, who in turn take it home to their families. The medical fact is that once an infected person becomes contagious, he/she is too sick and fever-ridden to do anything productive, and the spreading moves through those who care for the victims.

Smallpox is not normally spread through the air like the flu (though it is likely possible to "weaponize" an airborne form the way anthrax was weaponized), it is spread by contact with the infected. Simple modern sanitation (not drinking from the same glass) went a long ways to eradicate the disease.

What Mark E. said, plus this: there are two kinds of 'good' bio weapons.

The first type is something of a weapon of war - it is highly infectious, either airborne or has multiple vectors, it has a short incubation time, has a high mortality rate, AND A VACCINE that you alone posses. You release it simultaneously all over your target country while vaccinating your own key people and preparing for mass vaccinations in your own country and allies. It flares, kills a lot of your opponents, and burns itself out.

The second type is a weapon of terror - it is highly infectious, has a single vector, it has a long incubation time, has a low to moderate mortality rate, AND A VACCINE that you alone posses. You release it among your enemies and watch them slowly tear themselves apart. You vaccinate your own people (or the important ones, anyway).

The major powers in the cold war wanted the first type. How close they got is beyond my knowledge - probably only people like USARMIID, CDC/P, and their Soviet equivalents really know.

Terrorists want the second type. I'm quite sure the major powers researched this type, too, though probably more from a defensive mindset.

I think you'll find smallpox, despite being frequently waved about as the ultimate bio weapon, fails to meet either set of criteria above if you do even a little digging.

Now, there's one more type of bio monster (note I did not say 'weapon') that people worry about: the ELE category. That's Extinction Level Event. A plague that simply kills the human race, or drives it below the support limit for modern technology. Terrorists will NOT knowingly use such an agent, because it would wind up killing all of them too. Nation states will do research on these too - again for defensive purposes.

A piece of history...

I still remember ~1970 when Turkey had a suspected Smallpox outbreak, and neighbouring countries hastily closed their borders to everyone who did not have a valid vaccination certificate.

We were getting a bunch of other vaccinations before our trans-European camping holiday, so got the Smallpox shot, too. There ensued a woeful weekend I'd rather forget as ferocious chills, hot-flushes, weakness, nausea and dizziness showed our immune systems were being primed every which way.

That year, the 'camping to Greece' route down Yugoslavia was clogged with holidaymakers who hadn't got a vaccination, so could neither go onwards nor return whence they came. Thousands of campers lived on bottled water and onion omelette to eke out their cash until the Turkish scare was over...

Thankfully, it *was* just a scare but, IIRC, Iran had a real outbreak, many Turkish haj pilgrims were exposed and some developed symptoms that, after quarantine and testing, were determined to be chicken- or cow-pox.

Uh, remember the SARS outbreak, Patient Zero in the lift, and be grateful that smallpox is hard to transmit...

BlondieBC

Banned
What Mark E. said, plus this: there are two kinds of 'good' bio weapons.

The first type is something of a weapon of war - it is highly infectious, either airborne or has multiple vectors, it has a short incubation time, has a high mortality rate, AND A VACCINE that you alone posses. You release it simultaneously all over your target country while vaccinating your own key people and preparing for mass vaccinations in your own country and allies. It flares, kills a lot of your opponents, and burns itself out.

The second type is a weapon of terror - it is highly infectious, has a single vector, it has a long incubation time, has a low to moderate mortality rate, AND A VACCINE that you alone posses. You release it among your enemies and watch them slowly tear themselves apart. You vaccinate your own people (or the important ones, anyway).

The major powers in the cold war wanted the first type. How close they got is beyond my knowledge - probably only people like USARMIID, CDC/P, and their Soviet equivalents really know.

Terrorists want the second type. I'm quite sure the major powers researched this type, too, though probably more from a defensive mindset.

I saw a program where a former Soviet scientist had taken small pox and change the outer protein coating so vaccines did not work. He had also added a gene to attack the nervous system in addition to the normal effects. If this is true and the USSR developed a vaccine to the new virus, they would be very close to an ideal genocidal weapon.

For anyone who likes to write bio-weapon time lines, the Japanese program in WW2 is probably the most serious effort used in combat in modern times.

I saw a program where a former Soviet scientist had taken small pox and change the outer protein coating so vaccines did not work. He had also added a gene to attack the nervous system in addition to the normal effects. If this is true and the USSR developed a vaccine to the new virus, they would be very close to an ideal genocidal weapon.

For anyone who likes to write bio-weapon time lines, the Japanese program in WW2 is probably the most serious effort used in combat in modern times.

hmm.....that would be.....devastating.....:eek:

BlondieBC

Banned
hmm.....that would be.....devastating.....:eek:

For your nightmares, the show also claimed that a since ICBM warhead filled with a mixture of Plague, Anthrax, and modified smallpox detonated over Boston would kill over a million people.

Now these unemployed scientist could have also been looking for jobs in Western labs, and exaggerating there accomplishments.

Actually smallpox is one of the more contagious diseases, with the patient being contagious before they have gross pustules, and the residue (ie: dried crusts) being infective for some time afterwards on surface (see the use of blankets of smallpox victims used as "gifts" to native Americans to spread disease in early colonial period). There is airborne spread. Prior to 9/11 essentially nobody had received smallpox vaccinations since the 1970s - and these become ineffective after 10+ years, although those who have been immunized to retain some residual immunity and/or get less ill if they do get the disease. Therefore on 9/11 essentially none of the US population under 25-30 had ever been vaccinated, those who had would have a weak response, and there was NOT enough vaccine in the US to vaccinate more than perhaps a quarter of the population, and this was old and its efficacy was somewhat in doubt.

Smallpox has an approximately 30% death rate in those with no previous immunity ("immunologically naive") and about a 5% rate of morbidity among survivors including blindness and permanent lung damage (skin scarring not included). Smallpox patients require a significant amount of nursing care, even if they are among the 70%+ that survive.

For an idea of how infective smallpox is look up the case in Germany where a "hippie" German imported a case from Asia, and people in the hospital on DIFFERENT FLOORS were infected due to airborne spread through the hospital ventilation system (while "isolated" the rooms air system was not Bio III).. Also reference the NYC experience in the late 1940s. In an environment like a subway at rush hour or an airplane one would expect significant spread. Another factor is since there has been no human smallpox since ~1973, and none in the US for some time before that, I would expect that recognition of the early stages of the disease, as opposed to the full blown manifestation, would be delayed - exposing even more people.

Using quarantine, containment, "ring" vaccination and vaccination of medical personnel, military, police, fire, EMT etc with available supplies you would not see a pandemic, but expect massive disruption, potentially many ill folks (and deaths), and lots of political disrutpion or worse over "who gets the vaccine."

BTW nowadays between folks receiving chemo for cancer, patients with Rheumatoid disease on methotrexate & similar drugs, and of course folks with HIV there are tons of people walking around immune compromised compared with the "old days" & they will be very hard hit.

here it is:D enjoy
Part 1: It Begins

September 13
-The first overt signs of smallpox are detected when a twenty five year old man who checks into New York Downtown Hospital due to rash and bumps on his skin. Doctors immediately quarantine the man and contact the CDC and FEMA. Within twenty four hours, hospitals all across New York are reporting probable cases of smallpox. The same thing happens in both Washington DC and Los Angeles.
-President George Bush, who is reading to schoolchildren at Booker elementary school, is alerted of the smallpox outbreak. He is immediately evacuated to Mount Weather, while being injected with the smallpox vaccine. By this time, the news about the smallpox outbreak has already spread through the internet, and people are panicking. Bush addresses the nation on Air Force One, and calls for calm, claiming that the government is doing “all it can” to halt the spread of the disease. Bush (after the address) orders that the affected cities be quarantined, the army deployed to enforce the quarantine, and the dissemination of smallpox vaccine begun.
-Europe, Russia, and China stop all air travel inbound from the U.S.
September 14
-other U.S. cities start reporting smallpox outbreaks. The U.S. government is forced to deploy the National Guard to keep order, as panicked people loot stores for food and medicine. There are also reports that vaccinated personnel (army units and blockading New York, Los Angeles, and Washington DC, along with National Guard units deployed to keep order in cities) are seemingly coming down with smallpox. All army and National Guard units start getting issued with Mission Oriented Protective Posture (MOPP) gear, and in some cases, NBC suits.
-All commercial air travel is halted. The air force is deployed to provide reconnaissance and air support for army and National Guard units blockading cities.

NomadicSky

Banned
Apparently its that super soviet strain mention you have released in your story and that's going to get the entire planet sick it may start with the US but it will get to Canada and Mexico quickly enough not to mention spreading from Mexico to central and South America.

Along with all the tourist and business people who take it with them back to their countries...and the UN in there too...

This is going to be an interesting read but one that I'm glad didn't happen.

Apparently its that super soviet strain mention you have released in your story and that's going to get the entire planet sick it may start with the US but it will get to Canada and Mexico quickly enough not to mention spreading from Mexico to central and South America.
Since I’m NOT aiming for a vlad tepes (I’m not sure if they are even being given out any more), I’m going to assume that the strain released will be able to infect 30% of those that have been injected with a vaccine……
Along with all the tourist and business people who take it with them back to their countries...and the UN in there too...
The world doesn’t know it, but most major countries around the world now have at least a handful of infected within their borders….air travel can do miracles
This is going to be an interesting read but one that I'm glad didn't happen.
But it has the possibility of happening. Say the soviet bioweapons project (in clear violation of biological weapons convention, btw) comes apart along with the fall of the Soviet Union, the scientists (now without jobs) take advantage to make big bucks to sell virus strains to terrorists and dictators for top dollar, and the terrorists are willing to buy something that will HURT the Great Satan, and the result is a worldwide smallpox pandemic……

I'm impressed that authorities decided that quickly to quarantine entire cities! That's almost as terrifying as the news itself of the outbreak.

On the other hand, at least you're avoiding the hairy cliche of the government authorities always under-reacting in the face of a serious crisis. (Like, say, a major city being severely flooded after being hit by a Category Five hurricane.)

Intellectually, I know smallpox is serious... I think more Americans would have a higher "oh f--k" reaction to say Ebola. Maybe the government in the process of informing the public gets accused of scare tactics.

Smallpox has a 12-day incubation period, so an effective September outbreak would require infected operatives to start some weeks in advance. Once discovered and announced, the scare factor might be almost as destructive as the disease itself.

Look at this statement from http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/001356.htm:

Smallpox spreads easily from one person to another from saliva droplets. It may also be spread from bed sheets and clothing. It is most contagious during the first week of the infection. It may continue to be contagious until the scabs from the rash fall off.

Researchers believe that the smallpox infection might be able to stay alive (under the right conditions) for as long as 24 hours. In unfavorable conditions, the virus may only remain alive for 6 hours.
Confused? This statement contradicts historical information about Native Americans being (intentionally) infected from blankets and clothing from the Old World. Why is the government spreading this information?

Last edited:
Smallpox has a 12-day incubation period, so an effective September outbreak would require infected operatives to start some weeks in advance. Once discovered and announced, the scare factor might be almost as destructive as the disease itself.

Look at this statement from http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/001356.htm:

Confused? This statement contradicts historical information about Native Americans being (intentionally) infected from blankets and clothing from the Old World. Why is the government spreading this information?

I think the incubation period is 2-4 days before the pox really starts showing......as for the scare thing....people will soon realize they don't want pustules scarring them for life:)

I think the incubation period is 2-4 days before the pox really starts showing......as for the scare thing....people will soon realize they don't want pustules scarring them for life:)

Here is what the CDC says: http://www.bt.cdc.gov/agent/smallpox/overview/disease-facts.asp

Exposure to the virus is followed by an incubation period during which people do not have any symptoms and may feel fine. This incubation period averages about 12 to 14 days but can range from 7 to 17 days. During this time, people are not contagious.

So, that means there is a significant time lag between initial infection and the ability to propagate a pandemic. But, if the virus survives dormant for months on food or fabrics, as seems to be historically shown with the Native American/Blanket claims, then the notion of a multi-city pandemic is medically possible. The initial infectant transmits to dozens of carriers. They move to multiple cities. As they become ill (it takes weeks), operatives work to contaminate fabrics, blankets, Halloween candy and other foods with the puss, oozings, saliva and body fluids of the sick and distribute them in the cities and across the country. There would be weeks to cover large areas, and the virus could suddenly emerge across the country, not just in a few cities, but on Texas ranches and rural Iowa towns. The end result would be the pandemic you described; it just would take more time. There would also be a time lag for diagnosis, as it would take an electron microscope examination to verify the identity of the virus.

My last post addressed a different issue: if transmission by blankets before 1800 is historically true, why does the federal government publish documents that say the virus dies in a day or so in the environment without a host?

So, that means there is a significant time lag between initial infection and the ability to propagate a pandemic. But, if the virus survives dormant for months on food or fabrics, as seems to be historically shown with the Native American/Blanket claims, then the notion of a multi-city pandemic is medically possible. The initial infectant transmits to dozens of carriers. They move to multiple cities. As they become ill (it takes weeks), operatives work to contaminate fabrics, blankets, Halloween candy and other foods with the puss, oozings, saliva and body fluids of the sick and distribute them in the cities and across the country. There would be weeks to cover large areas, and the virus could suddenly emerge across the country, not just in a few cities, but on Texas ranches and rural Iowa towns. The end result would be the pandemic you described; it just would take more time. There would also be a time lag for diagnosis, as it would take an electron microscope examination to verify the identity of the virus.
Well, I’m assuming a more virulent strain......
My last post addressed a different issue: if transmission by blankets before 1800 is historically true, why does the federal government publish documents that say the virus dies in a day or so in the environment without a host?
To keep the American populace from panicking, duh!!!