Sir John Valentine Carden Survives. Part 2.

I'm fairly sure that providing Marmon-Herrington vehicles as Military Aid actually counts as a Ruse de Guerre, if not an out-and-out War Crime.

Oh boy, the Marmon-Herrington light tanks. The KNIL are going to have such fun with those.
(They aren't, as they're not good tanks, as the US testing reports indicate...)
Ouch!

Maybe they would do more for the Allied war effort if they were given to the Japanese?!

I've seen the video and have to wonder if they are actually worse than no tank at all.
I mean, at least the machine guns worked? That's about it though. (And even then, only in CTLS. The MTLS MG mounts were completely useless and couldn't actually fit the guns)

Why do I think as soon as the RTR guys get one good look at these tanks they will send a message up the chain to never buy these and to arrange for some one to brain the desgin team who came up with them.

From O.C. R.A.C. Training Team Batavia

To Headquarters Singapore
CC General Auckinleck

MOST URGENT

After evaluation of the CTLS tanks delivered to KNIL it was found they were unfit for purpose.
It is most urgent that any and all tanks that can be spared be dispatched forthwith to Batavia to equip the KNIL armoured units. Even repaired Vickers VI light tanks would be a huge improvement. As is KNIL armoured forces cannot be expected to engage the enemy with any hope of success.

Signed

Lt Col XXXXXXXXXXX

Last edited:

CC General Auckinleck

MOST URGENT

After evaluation of the CTLS tanks delivered to KNIL it was found they were unfit for purpose.
It is most urgent that any and all tanks that can be spared be dispatched forthwith to Batavia to equip the KNIL armoured units. Even repaired Vickers VI light tanks would be a huge improvement. As is KNIL armoured forces cannot be expected to engage the enemy with any hope of success.

Signed

Lt Col XXXXXXXXXXX
In what passes for the Mess and the NAFFI there will be many impolite comments on the breeding and intelligence of the Americans tank designers.

CC General Auckinleck

MOST URGENT

Signed

Lt Col XXXXXXXXXXX
Oh my, that tank is really that bad, huh.
Perhaps they decided to send some throughout the colonies (with a small number of KNIL troops) for further evaluation, only to comeback with an quote for an order of Bob Semple tanks, whatever Tata is building and other random Allied equipment...?

Last edited:
Oh boy, the Marmon-Herrington light tanks. The KNIL are going to have such fun with those.
(They aren't, as they're not good tanks, as the US testing reports indicate...)
Yes, I too marvelled at the Chieftain's video. I can only imagine the amount of sheer horrified swearing in a Lazerpig video about the same tanks.

I've seen the video and have to wonder if they are actually worse than no tank at all.
I suspect under combat conditions they would be no tank at all, having broken down somewhere inconvenient beforehand.

I wonder if the Dutch can sue Marmon-Herrington to get their money back for the 240 that were at least nominally serviceable after being pulled from the ship?

I suspect under combat conditions they would be no tank at all, having broken down somewhere inconvenient beforehand.

I wonder if the Dutch can sue Marmon-Herrington to get their money back for the 240 that were at least nominally serviceable after being pulled from the ship?
Wouldn't work, the Marmon-Herrington lawyers would just claim any faults were the result of damage caused when the ship was damaged.

The Idea is good for the court case but it might have to be taken to a Maritime court in the Dutch East Indies. The ship hadn't made port and docked so there are all kinds of strange maritime law there. The Dutch would be better off making an insurance claim with Lloyds of London, if they are carrying the paper on it, and getting money for the cargo.

There was water in the hold and any grounding causes damage and may cause the cargo to shift. There's plenty of room for a company lawyer to shift the blame for faulty goods.
The lack of power, terrible ergonomics, manufacturing faults (parts not lining up and the like) lack of ventilation, etc. can't be put down to water damage.

The lack of power, terrible ergonomics, manufacturing faults (parts not lining up and the like) lack of ventilation, etc. can't be put down to water damage.
They'll find an excuse and with the Netherlands not really a going concern right then they probably don't have the resources for a long term legal fight (or at least that cannot be spared from the military fight).

They'll find an excuse and with the Netherlands not really a going concern right then they probably don't have the resources for a long term legal fight (or at least that cannot be spared from the military fight).
That and the Dutch Government in Exile can't really afford to annoy Uncle Sam by pointing out to the world that they were sold a pile of useless junk. For one thing all those nifty Johnson Rifles and Light Machine Guns they have on order might get impounded.

That and the Dutch Government in Exile can't really afford to annoy Uncle Sam by pointing out to the world that they were sold a pile of useless junk. For one thing all those nifty Johnson Rifles and Light Machine Guns they have on order might get impounded.
True, although as Uncle Sam needs the Dutch to take some of the heat and keep the Japanese off their own backs they probably can't afford to not arm them.

Not like it's going to be hard for the US to allocate 240 surplus late model M4's after the victory in Europe and just hand them over to the Dutch government.

True.

Well Marmon-Herrington was a private contractor, so it wouldn't reflect badly on the American government.