Should a couple of the threads in this forum be unstickied?

It's getting awfully cluttered at the top of this forum, which can get a bit annoying sometimes. And there are no less than four stickied threads dedicated to maps of OTL.

The thought has crossed my mind as well. That biographical dictionary one doesn't see much action, for instance.

I wouldn't be offended if mine were unstickied. It does seem rather cluttered at the top of this forum. A kind but unidentified mod had stickied it when it was in the Chat forum and I guess it stayed stickied when Glen transferred it here.

I'd be supportive of basically converting all the Resource threads (so the Basemap, Blank Map etc.) into a situation of they're non-stickied, but we have a single stickied thread as a directory with links to them all.

Petike

Kicked
Some of the stickies could live on as links in the Resources section of the wiki, so I wouldn't be worried about those threads being forgotten about. Alternatively, we'd just have a single stickied thread with a single post that has a link to the Resources section. Anyone could find it that way.

So, if you think some of the less active ones should be unstickied, all right. I support it.

Some of the stickies could live on as links in the Resources section of the wiki, so I wouldn't be worried about those threads being forgotten about. Alternatively, we'd just have a single stickied thread with a single post that has a link to the Resources section. Anyone could find it that way.

So, if you think some of the less active ones should be unstickied, all right. I support it.

That's an excellent idea.

Krall

Banned
I've been thinking something similar recently - I'm mainly confused as to why we have no less than three OTL map threads, and I've no idea why the "Remembrance of Map Contests Past" thread was stickied.

I'd be supportive of basically converting all the Resource threads (so the Basemap, Blank Map etc.) into a situation of they're non-stickied, but we have a single stickied thread as a directory with links to them all.

That's a pretty good idea! We could also make a Resources sub-forum, where we can collect together the base maps and other online historical resources, but either idea would be preferable to the current situation.

I have searched through the OTL basemap threads on more than one occasion before I found the wiki map dumps; the maps in the beginning of the thread are very outdated, and finding newer ones requires slogging through hundreds of pages. Several responses are requests for maps that were already posted that they couldn't find. I'm all for dropping them in favor of the wiki so nobody wastes their time looking through there.

Thande

Donor
I think we can probably get rid of the OTL map threads started by me and Knight Templar, as most people seem to use Roberto's now. The mods can just insert a new post at the beginning of that one with links to the other two.

I think we can probably get rid of the OTL map threads started by me and Knight Templar, as most people seem to use Roberto's now. The mods can just insert a new post at the beginning of that one with links to the other two.

Actually, that's probably the simplest suggestion.

getting rid of those poll things for elections would be a good idea

Yes. I don't see their direct relation to the "Alternate History Books and Media" topic.
We've been through so much with them already that basically the only option left would be to place them in their own subforum, so I would suggest they stay here for the simple reason that movign them again would be a nightmare. (And when the most interesting project is so close to the finish line as well! I'm pretty sure that, once DJC is finished with his project, most of the others will dry up as well.)

However, I would support the idea that the non-OTL ones be placed into the other subforums as appropriate.

On the other notes, I recall posting this:
I would propose we have these threads for map resources:
Blank Map Thread (for blank maps not of Worlda or QBAM style; akin to the Blank Map Thread)
OTL Maps Resources Thread (for informative maps of OTL from outside sources; akin to current New OTL Map Thread)
OTL Worlda Map Thread (akin to this thread, where updates, corrections, and new Worlda maps go)
OTL QBAM Thread (akin to All the OTL Maps from 500... thread, where updates, corrections, and new QBAMs go)

All of which would have, in the first post, an explanation of their purpose, and links to their predecessors and to the appropriate AH.COM wiki pages (which, in spite of the lack of attention they receive, are still incredibly valuable resources that deserve more love.).

Ideally- to me- the stickies would be:
Map Thread #
Flag Thread #
Blank Map Thread
Map Resources Thread
Worlda
QBAM
Retrospective (to be unstickied upon the completion of the project)
Resources and References (to take the place of the Biography, References, etc, and to be a location where all of us can share interesting resources and tools).

Still a lot, but far less than the twelve sitting there currently.