Also...

Verschwindet, Dämonen! (Begone, Demons!) and a crime drama about the Sandman murders in-which serial killer Adolf Seefeldt is portrayed as an Orthodox Jew.
You learn something new every day. I consider myself something of a true crime buff, but never once had I heard of this fellow Seefeldt up until now. Morbidly fascinating stuff, especially with regards to his method of killing.

Oh god. Fascism is horrific always, but while I knew about the rest of this, details like these just really makes you remember these monsters were terrible on a personal level too.
Thank you very much. I think it’s useful to bring up individual cases in each chapter, as it helps reinforce that these are people being harmed by Fascism, not just numbers.
Emil Jannings’ Teutoberg is one of those "films that were never made" I would especially love to watch given how OTL lacks any major feature film about Arminius.
It’s a real shame we don’t have an Arminius movie IOTL. Closest I’ve seen is Rammstein’s music video for “Deutschland”!
Interestingly lots of Nazi era historical films were popular in the occupied countries due to people identifying with the underdogs in those stories. People enjoyed The Fox of Glenarvon (a story about the Irish independence war) because they saw it as a metaphor for heroic resistance fighters overthrowing an occupying force rather than the racial allegory it was intended as. One can imagine Polish ITTL audiences rooting for the Slavic actors playing the Romans in ‘Teutoburg.’
Okay I can't help but laugh at this part lol. Just the mental image of a film about to reach its climax suddenly cutting to a 25 minute rant by the film studio's owner is a very funny one to imagine.
I’m glad, it was my intent, it felt fitting to write something farcical. That said I think it’s not out of character for Streicher. The man had a titanic ego, if he’d been allowed to make movies, he’d definitely have pulled something like this.
x'Dx'Dx'Dx'D He sounds like a bloody incel omg
Believe it or not this is paraphrased from an OTL Streicher speech. The man was the 20th century equivalent of an incel - he believed that if a German woman had sex with a Jewish man her “body was polluted.”
Also...

You learn something new every day. I consider myself something of a true crime buff, but never once had I heard of this fellow Seefeldt up until now. Morbidly fascinating stuff, especially with regards to his method of killing.
Seefeldt is fascinating. The man’s murders were considered very infamous at the time. But he’s little known now probably due to being eclipsed by other events that took place in 1930s Germany.
I guess Francoism isn't a thing in TTL. Did Sanjurjo come to power through a successful coup in 1932, or does the civil war still happen (without the mysterious plane crashes that opened the way to power to Franco) ?
The Spanish Civil War is going to proceed on schedule. Sanjurjo survives his plane trip from Portugal to become Caudillo of the rebel forces. Franco will have an important part to play in the coming conflict however.
————
Whew, that last chapter took it out of me. Thank you all for your continued interest in this TL of mine. A very Happy Holidays to you all - I’m going to get drunk.

Last edited:
The Spanish Civil War is going to proceed on schedule. Sanjurjo survives his plane trip from Portugal to become Caudillo of the rebel forces. Franco will have an important part to play in the coming conflict however.
I wonder if Mola will survive too - that madman almost made Franco look like a moderate

Good to see that the effects of Goebbels/Notsky not being involved in Nazi propaganda is having negative effects on said propaganda. Fun fact, most people don't watch movies or read magazines purely to listen to your totally well thought out or coherent political ideas but, and I know this is crazy, but to be entertained. /s

Anyway, fantastic update, and on Christmas too.

It’s a real shame we don’t have an Arminius movie IOTL. Closest I’ve seen is Rammstein’s music video for “Deutschland”!
There's the Covid-era Netflix production Barbaren, marketed as Barbarians to international audiences but I'm not sure if it's an actual translation or just subtitles. Basically Vikings, but with the Norsemen replaced by Cherusci.

Last edited:
Chief among the enemy’s captains was Joseph Goebbels. It might seem odd that the regime’s arch-enemy was a fellow German Fascist but it needs be remembered that Goebbels was not merely a deviationist in the manner of Sanjurjo and Mussolini,
I wonder how the Livonian Lieutenant is going to deal with the wet delusional fantasies of the Duce. As long as Germany is doing good, Mussolini will be there to parasite their success.
War films and historical dramas provided cheap thrills along with a heavy dose of propaganda. Gustav Ucicky’s Joan (1935) gives us Joan of Arc as a female führer played by Marlene Dietrich.
Interesting. Dietrich seems to stay in Germany and not oppose the Nazis ITTL.

Thank you very much. I think it’s useful to bring up individual cases in each chapter, as it helps reinforce that these are people being harmed by Fascism, not just numbers.

Interestingly lots of Nazi era historical films were popular in the occupied countries due to people identifying with the underdogs in those stories. People enjoyed The Fox of Glenarvon (a story about the Irish independence war) because they saw it as a metaphor for heroic resistance fighters overthrowing an occupying force rather than the racial allegory it was intended as. One can imagine Polish ITTL audiences rooting for the Slavic actors playing the Romans in ‘Teutoburg.’

I’m glad, it was my intent, it felt fitting to write something farcical. That said I think it’s not out of character for Streicher. The man had a titanic ego, if he’d been allowed to make movies, he’d definitely have pulled something like this.

Believe it or not this is paraphrased from an OTL Streicher speech. The man was the 20th century equivalent of an incel - he believed that if a German woman had sex with a Jewish man her “body was polluted.”

Seefeldt is fascinating. The man’s murders were considered very infamous at the time. But he’s little known now probably due to being eclipsed by other events that took place in 1930s Germany.

————
Whew, that last chapter took it out of me. Thank you all for your continued interest in this TL of mine. A very Happy Holidays to you all - I’m going to get drunk.
Having looked up Seefeldt, did he suffocate his victims with sand? Or did no one ever determine precise whether he used chemicals or some other method of killing? Wikipedia was too vague and it perturbed me because rarely does it fail me.

Round-the-clock propaganda films in the public squares is an interesting development. I guess the concept of "spoilers" won't have much meaning if you can accidentally see the climax of a film on your way to work.

A thousand horsemen for the Aryans charging out of Atlantis...couldn't they have borrowed some cavalry from the army, as in OTL Soviet practice?

An interesting note on Mazurka and the King--I didn't know Pola Negri worked with the Germans, but it seems she did IOTL too. That'll probably harm what reputation she had in Poland itself.

I enjoy the nuance of of this timeline. Normally when there is a more successful Nazi/Notzi timeline, they perform better in every category. Here this alt-nazi movement is more competent in some ways - like having a better relationship with the army and civil institutions, while being less competent others, like this really pathetic attempt at propaganda.

Really, it's so pathetic I'm scared they are going to mess even the uniforms up, because some random pencil pusher has a grudge against Hugo Boss.

War films and historical dramas provided cheap thrills along with a heavy dose of propaganda. Gustav Ucicky’s Joan (1935) gives us Joan of Arc as a female führer played by Marlene Dietrich
The idea of a Fuhrer Joan sounds incredibly hilarious though

Like imagine another random virgin frenchwoman showing up like "yo" and being appointed general of the french army before utterly destroying Nazi Germany to the point the nazis are like "OMG it's the master race! It's all clear now, she must have come from hyperborea!" before proclaiming her their Fuhrer much to her complete confusion
"He planted venomous seed inside her and a hairy little ape was born!"
Yes, thats how humans work
Man have you ever gone to school

Great update as always. One question though - is das Schwarze Korps published in TTL?
Thanks. And nope Das Bronzekorps (aren’t I clever?) the Volkspolizei newspaper edited by Gunther d’Alquen takes its place.
I wonder if Mola will survive too - that madman almost made Franco look like a moderate
Mola was a fascinating man. I’ve already hinted that there will be Falangist Workers’ Councils established in rebel-held territory during the Spanish Civil War. Mola and Goebbels will be having some interesting interactions in chapters to come.
Will the notzi's focus on light entertainment in the future after the failure of the heavier attempts?
Not with Rosenberg at the helm of the Ministry of Truth & Propaganda. And so long as he remains close with SR he will stay at the helm. Light entertainment will still be produced - comedies, historical, and such - but the focus will be on propaganda films. Especially going into the war years of the 1940s.
Good to see that the effects of Goebbels/Notsky not being involved in Nazi propaganda is having negative effects on said propaganda. Fun fact, most people don't watch movies or read magazines purely to listen to your totally well thought out or coherent political ideas but, and I know this is crazy, but to be entertained. /s

Anyway, fantastic update, and on Christmas too.
Thank you very much, and merry Christmas.
Goebbels was a monster but he had a kind of infernal genius. Distracting the populace with light entertainment helped keep morale high, an advantage that the Notzis won’t have ITTL.
There's the Covid-era Netflix production Barbaren, marketed as Barbarians to international audiences but I'm not sure if it's an actual translation or just subtitles. Basically Vikings, but with the Norsemen replaced by Cherusci.
I need to check this out.
I wonder how the Livonian Lieutenant is going to deal with the wet delusional fantasies of the Duce. As long as Germany is doing good, Mussolini will be there to parasite their success.
The Leutnant admired Mussolini though he was disdainful of the lack of Antisemitic racial policy in Italy. For the moment the Duce intends to play the Germans off the French in order to secure territorial expansion at the expense of the Balkans.
Interesting. Dietrich seems to stay in Germany and not oppose the Nazis ITTL.
Things are slightly less oppressive for everyday Germans so she settles in the early 1930s. She’s not opposing them yet.
Having looked up Seefeldt, did he suffocate his victims with sand? Or did no one ever determine precise whether he used chemicals or some other method of killing? Wikipedia was too vague and it perturbed me because rarely does it fail me.
Seefeldt used homemade poisons to suffocate his victims. The nickname Sandman comes from an old European fairy tale about a monster that preyed on those that couldn’t get to sleep.
Sanjurjo in charge is excellent news. We can be sure that the SCW war is going to last for some more time and be more laughable and silly.
Much will be made of his triumphant return from Portugal. Sanjurjo will certainly be a flamboyant caudillo. Spain will be in for a much more drawn out civil war.
Round-the-clock propaganda films in the public squares is an interesting development. I guess the concept of "spoilers" won't have much meaning if you can accidentally see the climax of a film on your way to work.
Thanks, I hope it’s not too much of a stretch.
Round-the-clock films help provide free “entertainment” and political education to the masses whilst collective watching also helps foster that community spirit fascists are so fond of.
A thousand horsemen for the Aryans charging out of Atlantis...couldn't they have borrowed some cavalry from the army, as in OTL Soviet practice?
Oh certainly, but there’s no military cavalry to spare at the time…
An interesting note on Mazurka and the King--I didn't know Pola Negri worked with the Germans, but it seems she did IOTL too. That'll probably harm what reputation she had in Poland itself.
There was a lot of crossover between the Polish and German film industries in the 1930s IOTL. Purely for pragmatic reasons, since there were more studios with better funding in Germany than in Poland. Negri’s reputation will be somewhat tarnished by having worked with Stormer Puctures for certain, and it’ll contribute to her deciding to relocate to America.
I enjoy the nuance of of this timeline. Normally when there is a more successful Nazi/Notzi timeline, they perform better in every category. Here this alt-nazi movement is more competent in some ways - like having a better relationship with the army and civil institutions, while being less competent others, like this really pathetic attempt at propaganda.

Really, it's so pathetic I'm scared they are going to mess even the uniforms up, because some random pencil pusher has a grudge against Hugo Boss.
My thanks. I think in writing Notzi stories you can often fall into the trap of creating “reasonable Nazis” who jettison all of the inconvenient ideas of the Nazi Party in-order to make them more effective conquerors.
I wanted SR’s Notzis to have flaws which set them back, and caused problems for them which didn’t exist for the OTL Nazis as well as having advantages they didn’t possess IOTL.
Like imagine another random virgin frenchwoman showing up like "yo" and being appointed general of the french army before utterly destroying Nazi Germany to the point the nazis are like "OMG it's the master race! It's all clear now, she must have come from hyperborea!" before proclaiming her their Fuhrer much to her complete confusion
Perhaps the Germans would try and burn her at the stake. At which point the Four Gods descend from Hyperborea and cleanse the soil of Draka, er I mean Germany, with nuclear fire, no doubt.
Yes, thats how humans work
Man have you ever gone to school
Streicher was a 20th century propagandist who spoke like an early 21st century beardie incel.

I need to check this out.
It's a pretty good show (at least, season 1 is)--though admittedly I have a soft spot for anything with spoken Latin.
Thanks, I hope it’s not too much of a stretch.
Round-the-clock films help provide free “entertainment” and political education to the masses whilst collective watching also helps foster that community spirit fascists are so fond of.
I don't think it's a stretch at all--IIRC, people routinely walked into films late and then stuck around for the next screening to see what the missed IOTL at this time. Supposedly, Hitchcock had to make sure to lock the entrances to cinemas screening Psycho for that reason.
Oh certainly, but there’s no military cavalry to spare at the time…

There was a lot of crossover between the Polish and German film industries in the 1930s IOTL. Purely for pragmatic reasons, since there were more studios with better funding in Germany than in Poland. Negri’s reputation will be somewhat tarnished by having worked with Stormer Puctures for certain, and it’ll contribute to her deciding to relocate to America.
Could you link anything about the interwar Polish film industry, if you have it? I've been looking for some info on behalf of a friend, and found very little.
Streicher was a 20th century propagandist who spoke like an early 21st century beardie incel.
That was surprisingly common with many people in the early century. Hitler himself seemed to have that particular attitude toward Stefanie Rabatsch, if his childhood acquaintance's recollection is reliable.

Who left high school because something something women
Perhaps the Germans would try and burn her at the stake.
I for one say they dont get english plot armor!
At which point the Four Gods descend from Hyperborea and cleanse the soil of Draka
Good
My thanks. I think in writing Notzi stories you can often fall into the trap of creating “reasonable Nazis” who jettison all of the inconvenient ideas of the Nazi Party in-order to make them more effective conquerors.
And at that point it becomes just a german wank with fascist aesthetics