SCREENPLAY HELP! :-D

And as far as Vietnam... any major withdrawal before the end of 1964 is impossible. And by that point, JFK has likely made many of the same decisions as his successor did- decisions that will force him onto the same path. In the first few months of 1965, he will sadly announce to the public that their husbands, fathers, and sons are needed in Vietnam, but only for a few months until the situation is pacified and they can leave...

I'll direct you to this site, which publishes archival gov't documents, some of which elaborate on Kennedy's plans for withdrawal from Vietnam, had he lived.

This is a small point but as the Wall Street Journal recently mentioned:

In 1963, Republican Barry Goldwater talked to Democrat, and incumbent president, John F. Kennedy about campaigning in a different way in 1964. The two agreed to campaign together, on the same plane, touching down in different cities and holding a series of debates--real debates without moderators that would range across all the issues facing the nation. Both felt confident they could hold their own, engage in no-holds-barred, candid give-and-take without losing the fundamental respect they felt for each other or a fundamental civility.

---------------

I imagine that would change the course of future presidential debate quite a lot.

So what are you still looking for and what's the screenplay focused on? I'd think that knowing what you're still looking for, and a little more detail would draw more responses.

Something Said...

People seem to assume that the assassination attempts would stop, just because of a failure. Consider that there were many attempts on JFK's life during his presidency. On November 2, 1963, Organized crime figures Santo Trafficante, Carlos Marcello, and Johnny Rosselli planned to have President Kennedy assassinated in Chicago, Illinois by an ex-Marine sniper by the name of Thomas Vallee. The plan was to stop Attorney General Robert Kennedy's war on organized crime by assassinating the president. On Movember 18, 1963, President Kennedy had been warned about an assassination attempt in Tampa, Florida by local businessman John Warrington. As such consider the idea of future assassination attempts...

Well, sure, you can randomly insert an assassination attempt into any WI you want. I don't think anyone disputes that. But I'd say it's also just as plausible that there are no more attempts, or that there may be attempts that do not succeed. See also: cat, Schroedinger's.

Nobody's holding you back from postulating a WI that sees JFK assassinated in 1964, or somewhere in his second term.

I'll direct you to this site, which publishes archival gov't documents, some of which elaborate on Kennedy's plans for withdrawal from Vietnam, had he lived.
Looked at a few of the staff briefings from November (since they're after Diem's gone), and I did get the feeling that not only JFK but his advisors were strongly considering and even planning a drawing down of US troops. Still, a year later those advisors were telling Johnson that combat troops might be needed (whether Tonkin Gulf still happens is debatable). The drawback on advisors would likely not be significantly increased until after 1964. And with Diem gone we're going to want to see if anyone better can take over (likely same as in OTL: no). Understand, I'm not trying to deny that JFK didn't want to get out and wasn't actively working towards that goal. But even being more eager to leave than his successor was might not keep him from making similar decisions.

Also, something to consider- if we do pull out, how will JFK be affected by the likely resulting fall of South Vietnam?

Some Other Attempts....

Consider the idea of assassination attempts against President John F. Kennedy taking place on April 3, 1967 in New York City, NY. In OTL, a suspicious bomb exploded at the Cuban Mission of the United Nations. This would certainly be a high profile situation upon which to assassinate the president while he speaks to the U.N. General Assembly...

Another date would be October 16, 1967 at the United Nations, wherein in OTL explosions took place at the Cuban, Yugoslav, and Finnish delegations in New York City, New York. Such an assassination attempt would have been another high profile....

Another date could be April 4, 1968. In OTL, the assassination caused RFK to write one of his most eloquent speeches as a eulogy to MLK Jr. IN the ATL, consider the idea of what would MLK Jr. would have to say about the president's death , especially if it took place in Memphis, Tennessee. An assassination of the president during a meeting at the Lorraine Motel would certainly change the nature of civil rights in America....