Riformd Speling

How Our Spelling Changed by James Pitman, Simplified Spelling Society Books, 1975
In 1949, a Labour MP, Dr. Mont Follick, introduced a private member's bill in the House of Commons, which failed at the second reading by 87 votes to 84. However in 1953 he again won the ballot and this time it passed the second reading by 65 votes to 53 after a debate including the statement by Ralph Morley MP that "As a class teacher for nearly 50 years, I know it is our ridiculous and illogical spelling which is the chief handicap in teaching children to read." It was then approved in committee despite Government opposition.
Anticipating opposition from the Lords, Dr Follick asked the Minister of Education if she "will state her policy towards proposals by a competent research organization to investigate possible improvements in the teaching of reading by means of simplified spelling."[1] The minister, Florence Horsbrugh, replied that she felt that “Any change to the spelling system will be inimical to our language and destroy our culture and links to our past. No more will children read Shakespeare in the original”[2].
Seeing a chance to give the government a bloody nose, Clement Attlee said “The Commons has spoken. And the government wishes to allow the unelected, unaccountable, Lords to override the people’s elected representatives in this matter? A Labour government will investigate the possibilities of changing our spelling, in accordance with the Commons’ decision.” At the time it was almost certainly intended as a quick one-liner not to be followed up on, but it changed the history of our language forever.
[1] All OTL so far.
[2] OTL she was cautiously in favour – TTL she maybe has just had a bad day or is aware of the question in advance and has been instructed to say no.
BTW, I keep having Word “correct” my spellings to US as I write this.:)
And the thread title should not be taken as indicative of TTL spelling.

Well, even if you can get something passed through the UK, I feel that it's going to be a huge hurdle, nigh impossible, to get something passed through the U.S. If anything does pass, it will be rather different from the UK's standard. I can say nothing about the commonwealth nations. So, the print communication problems are going to become quite interesting.

Akchually, I think this wud be mor likly to sucksed in the US, becos we did this once befor whehn Theodor Rosevelt was Prezident. At leest we no longer us "ploughs" on or farms and drink "draughts" of ber.

Akchually, I think this wud be mor likly to sucksed in the US, becos we did this once befor whehn Theodor Rosevelt was Prezident. At leest we no longer us "ploughs" on or farms and drink "draughts" of ber.

Wait a minute, let me translate that into my dialect...

Akshaly, I think this wood be mor likly to suckseed in the US, becuhz we did this wuns befor wehn Theador Rozavelt wuhz Prezadent. At leest we no lahnger yuz "ploughs" ahn owr farms and drink "draughts" uhv beer.
There, now I understand what you're saying :)

Well, who knows? But whatever spelling reforms were initiated under Roosevelt (I hadn't heard of these), or even earlier by Noah Webster, were very small compared to a comprehensive refactoring of English spelling that would actually make it phonetic in all American dialects. (Although the UK has an even bigger problem in that manner, since they have more dialects in a smaller area).

I don't know, I'm just looking at 1) How well the adoption of the metric system went in the U.S. (which would be considerably easier than spelling reform) 2) How much the U.S. likes to annoy the UK by spelling things differently and 3) How many people would be annoyed by having to re-learn how to read in order to fill out government forms. Let alone the literary curmudgeons who would see this spelling change as bad as they do txtspk.

Plus, I'm imagining all of the children out west getting lost on simple things such as why they have to use 'ah' in 'caht' (past participle of 'catch') but an 'o' in 'cot' (temporary bed), when they sound like they should rhyme.
And then there are all of the children out east who have to learn when they're supposed to put an 'r' after certain vowels and when they ahn't.

But, I'm sidetracking, I think this could be a very interesting timeline.

To be honest by that point I don't think a major revision of the English language on that scale would be possible.

At best you'd have the population essentially telling you to fuck off.

OOC: Did such a bill really get written IOTL?

IC: No wonder why so many of the street signs in Birmingham looked so wacky........:p

Yes, it was introduced, and passed by the Commons. OTL the minister gave support, leading to the ITA.
Actually, I think that the strength of the opposition now actually comes from the failure of the ITA, and it was a lot more possible in the 50s and 60s.

To be honest by that point I don't think a major revision of the English language on that scale would be possible.

At best you'd have the population essentially telling you to fuck off.
Not wholly comparable, but the Rechtschreibreform could be viewed as a successful modern equivalent.

Yes, a major newspaper (I think it was the Chicago Tribune) tried short spellings as a test some decades ago with a handful of words like "thru" and "tho." The readers said NO.

I can't see any move to reform English spelling phonetically catching on.

Simply because there is such a vast number of different pronunciations.

What I can see is further simplification of some words, particularly those involving "gh".
e.g. enough > enuff; though > tho/thoh/thouh; through > thru/throu/throuh; thorough > thoro; cough > coff; island > iland/yland;

I can also see the UK eventually adopting a few US spellings eg. -our > -or; some -re > -er; -ise > -ize (pretty much occurring now). Likewise I can see "ll" becoming more prevalent in US spelling.

Congress squashed TR's attempt to reform the spelling hard. That's actually a point in favor of the side that thinks the US isn't going to go along.