Restarted With A Mouse: A Pop Culture Timeline

Not all of DC counts as this. Just the live-action movies after 2008.
Yeah the pre dark knight stuff is off and on again Tim Burton was good Joel Schumacher saved it in Warner Bros eyes until Batman and Robin and Batman begins was good from what I have heard and Superman returns was a good homage to the reeve movies but pretty dull

Yeah the pre dark knight stuff is off and on again Tim Burton was good Joel Schumacher saved it in Warner Bros eyes until Batman and Robin and Batman begins was good from what I have heard and Superman returns was a good homage to the reeve movies but pretty dull
Not to mention the cartoons and video games. Those have a less spotty record even after Kevin Feige became popular.

Gulf+Western's Fantastic Takeover
Spectacular Journey.jpg

Distributed by Paramount Pictures on August 16, 1966
Almost 12 years since 20,000 Leagues, Fleischer Studios would release their biggest project yet with Fantastic Voyage. Critics praised the film for being a technical marvel for the time. The movie actually made a slight loss for Paramount, however that is mainly contributed to something that happened to the company a couple months prior.

NEWS REPORT
"GULF+WESTERN TO TAKEOVER PARAMOUNT, DESILU"
- The Los Angles Times

Charles Bluhdorn recently announced that he has recently struck a deal with executives from the entertainment production companies, Paramount Pictures and Desilu Productions, to be official subsidiaries of Gulf+Western. When asked about the specifics of the deal and the future of the companies, Bluhdorn said "It's not just a question of buying Desilu and Paramount. It's a question of making them work together, making them dovetail into each other for the greatest possible efficiency."

This does lead to discussions about some of the two studios properties, most notably the relationship between Paramount and National Periodical Publications. Regardless, we are interested to see what G+W are going to do with them.

Charles Bluhdorn recently announced that he has recently struck a deal with executives from the entertainment production companies, Paramount Pictures and Desilu Productions, to be official subsidiaries of Gulf+Western. When asked about the specifics of the deal and the future of the companies, Bluhdorn said "It's not just a question of buying Desilu and Paramount. It's a question of making them work together, making them dovetail into each other for the greatest possible efficiency."

This does lead to discussions about some of the two studios properties, most notably the relationship between Paramount and National Periodical Publications. Regardless, we are interested to see what G+W are going to do with them.
Cool!

Maybe G+W can buy DC?

Well, I haven't looked at this TL for a bit and with Mary Poppins and Disney World being huge deals, I wonder what follows up to The Sword In the Stone without the Jungle Book ITTL.

Rooster in the Jungle
The Jungle Book (Dir. Chuck Jones)
film-blast_from_the_past-mowgli_s_brothers-3-30.jpg

Distributed by Warner Bros. on August 11, 1967

Cast: Kurt Russell, James Earl Jones, Karl Swenson, Mel Blanc

Chuck's adaptation of The Jungle Book is often stated as one of the main reasons the studio avoided being shut down in 1969, as it would go on to make 15 million dollars worldwide.

Chanticleer (Dir. Wolfgang Reitherman)
68747470733a2f2f73332e616d617a6f6e6177732e636f6d2f776174747061642d6d656469612d736572766963652f...jpg

Distributed by Walt Disney Pictures on October 18, 1967

Cast: Roger Miller, Phil Harris, Julie Andrews, Cesar Romero

Despite it having one of the more forgettable Disney films of the time, it would end up being one of the studios most profitable movie during it's initial run.

NEWS REPORTS

"Universal to return to theatrical animation with 'Yellow Submarine'" - Time

"RUMOR: Disney is working on 'Wonderland' movie for '69" - The Los Angles Herald Examiner

The Jungle Book saving the animation studio from shutting down is marvelous, and while Chanticleer does become forgettable, having it follow the movie that beat it for Walt's approval does seem worth chuckling at.

Universal's movie comeback being Yellow Submarine is a plus, and I cannot wait to see what a Woodstock-era Wonderland movie would look like.

Golden Submersible
I Buried Paul.jpg

Distributed by Universal Pictures on November 13, 1968

Cast: Ringo Starr, Paul Frees, Chad Stuart, Paul Angelis

Yellow Submarine would become Universal's biggest success yet in the field of animation, receiving widespread acclaim from critics and audiences.

NEWS REPORT

"Motion Pictures Association of America announces plans for a film rating system" - The Hollywood Reporter

I can read the headline right now:

Wotta Beatle Rakes Moolah for Mr. Kite and Co.

That's Variety-speak for "Yellow Submarine is a Financial Hit". And I had thought the film rating system would be later than this.

So Peter Rabbit, Don Quixote, and Chanticleer, three abandoned film ideas IOTL, are all made by Disney here. That kind of makes up for the losses of Bongo, Wind In The Willows, and The Jungle Book so I’m not too sad. And a potential Alice In Wonderland movie in 1969…hmmm. Why does that seem familiar? Anyway, with this Beetles film, Universal has probably dethroned Disney as the most popular animated film studio ITTL although I’m less certain when Disney has been eclipsed overall thanks to live-action films, television, and theme parks.

The Jungle Book saving the animation studio from shutting down is marvelous, and while Chanticleer does become forgettable, having it follow the movie that beat it for Walt's approval does seem worth chuckling at.
Since it appears that Warner Bros. Cartoons survives past the 1960s, what happened to MGM Animation/Visual Arts? I’m assuming it and Chuck’s take on Tom and Jerry are butterflied and the Grinch special, the Horton special, and The Phantom Tollbooth are made at WB instead?

Let’s just hope he doesn’t become a massive asshole/out of touch prima donna like in MWR.
Universal's movie comeback being Yellow Submarine is a plus, and I cannot wait to see what a Woodstock-era Wonderland movie would look like.
Was Yellow Submarine almost made by Universal or Walter Lantz? I don’t know much about the production of that movie so correct me if I’m wrong.