Research/Note Taking

I'm about to do research for an alternate history I'm working on(An American Civil War AH). Specifically, I'm utilizing the three-volume Civil War: A Narrative series.

When taking notes, should I only jot down details I consider important(political, military, etc.) or jot down most details that may come in handy later(appearances of say, Lincoln or Davis, culture, inflation rates in the Confederacy and other small details etc.).

How do you take notes for your alternate histories? Is the series I'm using
(I plan to go much deeper then just those three books, finding myself inspired by Decades of Darkness) good enough?

RousseauX

Donor
I don't really write my own TLs, but I have to commend you for the willingness to do research of the degree where you need notes for it.

I don't really write my own TLs, but I have to commend you for the willingness to do research of the degree where you need notes for it.

I tend to take copious amounts of notes-just saying. I get hung up over what to take notes on and at the end of the day have more then enough to write a time line or two.

Should I only stick to political/military/etc. notes, or should I jot down building info, appearance info, how people talked back then, etc.

I'd love to write an alternate history novel some day and I struggle with narrowing down notes.

Advice?

God bless the Kindle. Whenever possible I buy my historical texts digitally, then I can highlight and annotate them at my leisure.

I don't take notes. They tend to tie me down and confuse me, because when I do take notes, I tend to note a helluva lot. :p I use mostly PDFs of books, and then use the search function in Adobe Reader to look for information I might find useful. But I just find reading shitloads of articles and documents on the area I'm researching gives me a better general idea than taking notes.

I click on several windows' worth of sources that I use for my timeline and start memorizing the important sections of information with my mind.

Takes notes of what's going to be relevant. IF you're not going to be writing dialogue, how people spoke isn't terribly important.

I take a lot of paper notes. I take notes on the details and what might come in handy, usually with a little phrase so I can remember why I might find it handy or if it makes me think of another question to research.

I memorize things easily, but do not remember everything, which means I often have to look back and find data in easily understood formats. Its terribly inefficient but I am poor at organizing my thoughts on paper or app. Would be interested if anyone knows any good apps...

Take notes of what you're looking for. If there's more that seems potentially useful or interesting, wonderful, you can look that up in the book again later. If you've got your own copy of the book, toss in as many bookmarks (to mark tables, maps, or whatever) and penciled-in notes in the margins ("Lincoln had peg leg-- potential problem walking long distances???") for future references whenever you like.

I keep some notes, but mostly it's mental. Some on the board may decry it, but I typically begin research on Wikipedia. Most articles, assuming long and fleshed out, will end with a list of additional reading as well as sources. I typically use these to get books relevant to what I'm writing back, or reading those sources.

I have a lot of obscure book marks too, such as the English State Papers of Elizabeth's reign; and even a site that details with minute domestic life in Elizabethan England, including average wages and other info that although not directly translated to other countries, it gives an idea of 17th century liviing.

Grey Wolf

Donor
I tend to have a note doc where I stick things that are iinteresting, little known, obscure, strange, and potentially useful so I know where to find them later if the right moment arises.

Best Regards
Grey Wolf

Thanks for all the useful tips.

I prefer NOT to utilize the Kindle highlight function-I'm old school.

I think it helps to paraphrase the information rather then simply highlight all of the info in the book verbatim. That way I have a quick reference in a spiral notebook wherein I have all the info I need without having to read whole highlighted passages from the book.

My AH in question deals with an alternate Battle Of Gettysburg(Don't worry, I'll get deep into battle specifics to show that I know my history)

It will cover a loose history of the post-war Confederacy from 1863 onwards.

It will be realistic, and will work in many topics(Confederate expansionism, underground communist politics in the South, Confederate foreign relations, etc.)

Riain

Banned
I memorize things easily, but do not remember everything, which means I often have to look back and find data in easily understood formats. Its terribly inefficient but I am poor at organizing my thoughts on paper or app. Would be interested if anyone knows any good apps...

With a better than average memory it's easy, just read everything and leave what you've read in a pile somewhere (never put anything away, if you do you'll never find it again) or in your browser history and the write 'off the top of your head' from memory. When the time comes to reference your work just trawl through the indexes and your browser history and wella: job done! All this notes and organising shit is overrated.

Like the others I have a better than average memory, but I don't have financial resources to get a bunch of extra material, so most of my stuff comes from Wikipedia and then from other websites.

One really helpful one for me was one where there is a visualization of the sides and their positions in Chancellorsville, including how the armies moved; this helped me to pinpoint how I wanted the battles, including the alternate stuff after that battle, to go.

Since I'm legally blind and have other minor physical handicaps, scene-setting isn't as visual with me as it is for others; I rely more on dialogue than on peoples' appearances.

So, I start my alternate Battle of Chancellorsville in "Brotherhood and Baseball" with a soldier teasing another (who had apparently been singing), "Think the pathetic vibratiosn of your vocal chords will war off Rebs?" We the learn through dialogue that they are in Reynolds' group and have only been marching the whole time, then word of Hooker's concussion hits and Reynolds rides through urging the troops onward; we see what happened to the general in the ATL, etc.

I found Wikipedia most helpful for who was where and when as far as terms of office, etc.. By the time I get into 1910s America and have President Underwood doing stuff, including the early Civil Rights movement, I had to figure out what differences might have occurred in 50 years. There, I relied on that memory and some small scenes I'd written; I don't write a book linearly most of the time, instead I write as I imagine scenes.

Now, if I'm doing a timeline, it's mostly narrative, sort of like a history teacher in an entertaining lecture. There, it's mostly Wikipecdia and maybe a few other sources because I'm not trying to sell anything. I keep it plausible but I also have too many other thigns going on to pour a whole lot of effort into it.

I, too, would get bogged down in note taking anyway. My problem at times is I have too many choices because I'm looking at so many different ones, that's when the butterflies really start flapping. I actually had a great sense of what I wanted to happen in my book and tried to make it happen as plausibly as possible, and I did. Where it wasn't plausible, I made little changes. (Including changing Underwood's home state to Kentucky, the state of his birth, after a poll on this site.) I wanted an earlier Civil Rights movement, better race relations overall, etc.. And, it happened as plausibly as I could make it given the POD and help of baseball being integrated from the start.

However,w hen dealing with butterflies, if I don't know what I want to happen it can be a little overwhelming. I knew I wanted a Waldensian Reformation in "Sweet Lands of LIberty," and a few other things. The east/west splot of Catholic/Protestant Europe, the surviving Savoyard kingdom that grows a little and includes OTL Switzerland, and other thigns rose from that, and the world was made a slightly better place. But, if I'd gone too far in depth, I'd have never even gotten that short timeline done, because after that I wasn't really sure.

So, if this is going to be a novel, I'd do more than a timeline, but I still wouldn't take gobs of notes. However, if you have the time and the resources, go for it; just be careful not to get too bogged down.