Remember the Rainbow Redux: An Alternate Royal Canadian Navy

Just some clarification I wanted to make before we get too far ahead. Almost everything until this most recent chapter has been completely accurate to what happened in our timeline, except for one thing. The Blanchet brothers are fictional characters however, they are based on two brothers in our own timeline who joined the Royal Naval Canadian Volunteer Reserve around this same period. They essentially exist to bring a different perspective to Commander Hose alongside being part of an interesting future event.

I apologize for the wait however, the next chapter should be up tomorrow evening!

The Battle of the Farallon Islands Part II
August 11, 1914. HMCS Rainbow, engaged in combat off the Farallon Islands.

Through his binoculars, Hose viewed intently as a pair of large shell splashes lanced their way skyward, followed a few seconds later by a trio of their smaller contemporaries. The first salvo from the 6” guns had overshot while the 4.7” guns almost all undershot, the next salvo showed the exact opposite in a drill perfect performance of gunnery. They had straddled on their second salvo, a pang of guilt shot through him for underestimating his crew, although it quickly faded from his mind. The German cruiser had quickly become wise to their initial ambush and by this time, was bringing their ship around to unleash the full broadside of her guns. Soon after Rainbow let off her third salvo, the Commander heard the unmistakable sound of a shell shrieking close overhead, followed shortly after by the pattering of shrapnel off his ship’s sides. As he lowered his binoculars and peered back over the ship from the bridge wing, a 4.1” shell came careening across Rainbow’s decks.

'Damn these Germans, scoring a hit this early isn't particularly sporting of them.'

The resulting explosion split one of her forward engine vents open like a banana and sent splinters from a what was once a ships boat raining over the heads of the adjacent 4.7” gun crews. Even with the jarring explosion, Hose was rather surprised as their rate of fire did not slow significantly.

“I think we got her good that time sir!” One of the lookouts exclaimed, “I see smoke pouring out from under her bri…”

The rating was cut-off by a tremendous detonation close by, followed by momentary all-encompassing darkness. When the Commander regained his senses, he found himself sprawled out across a now incredibly slanted bridge wing. Judging by the carnage and the sticky stinging sensation in his lower extremities, a shell must have slashed through the platforms outer supports and fetched into the conning tower. Rolling from his back to his hands and knees, Hose crawled his way up the perforated staging and pulled himself back into the bridge proper. The lookout from before was missing and the remainder of the rattled bridge crew looked back at Hose as if he was a ghost.

“All hands move below, we are transferring command to the conning tower.”

As they descended, the crew clung to the ladder tightly as the ship shuddered under the impact of what felt like multiple hits. When they arrived and familiarized themselves with the somewhat dusty station, Hose peered through the side slits in an attempt to regain some kind of situational awareness. Pushing his binoculars up to the port, he was greeted with a view of the rapidly closing German cruiser. Her visage was trailing multiple plumes of smoke, at least one from what was likely an internal fire under the bridge and another under the aft mainmast. He could have sworn there was multiple shell holes across her freeboard but at this distance, it was hard to distinguish any potential damage from her portholes. Either way, she was obviously out for blood and still very much combat effective.

“Sir.” A nearby rating queried, “You seem to be bleeding a bit onto the floor.”

Looking down at his largely intact uniform pants, he could see small droplets of crimson beginning to fall from both his lower legs and partially torn sea boots.

“So it seems.” The Commander chuckled as he retrieved a handkerchief from his pocket to help stifle the bleeding. Various scratches and gouges crawled up his ankles, leaking enough fluids to begin to drip while his feet felt rather damp and throbbed rather dully inside their housings. “Looks only to be a few scratches at the moment.” In truth, Hose did not particularly want to take off his boots in front of the men at this point.

As the minutes crawled by, punctuated by her own guns firing and the occasional groan of an enemy shell colliding with the ship, Hose glanced down at the ships speed indicator. The pointer jumped slightly between 19 and 19.5 knots, rather incredibly the worn old ship was making near her designed top speed. Even with the excellent work of the engineering team below, the crew was under no illusion that this burst of speed was only temporary, this was likely the ships final run and if the Germans did not sink her, she would be lucky to crawl home. This thought was soon the least of the crew’s concern as multiple tremors reverberated through the conning tower, heavy splinters loudly clanging off its armored exterior. Hose waited for the smoke to be blown overboard by the sea winds but strangely, the smoke continued to come. Black smoke billowed from around the mount which could be partially seen wrenched up aimlessly into the sky, its blackened gun shield warped heavily. Various crew members were hollering something incomprehensible but no sooner as they started, their voices were lost amidst multiple rapid detonations around the mount. Hose ducked down as the fireball came partially into the conning tower through the viewing slits, soon being followed by the smell of cordite and thick tar like smoke.

“All hands move to the aft conning tower!” Hose sputtered as he and the rest of the crew attempted to evacuate the area, the smoke worming it's way into the tower. The bridge above was a disaster of broken glass and wood splinters, the roof of which was partially blown clear by a shell hit. Stepping alongside the platforms stretching above the 4.7” battery below, Hose finally began to take in the destruction. As the fire raged forward, he could see that multiple shells must have hit in the proximity of the middle most 4.7” gun as the walkway even on the opposite broadside to the action was splintered in places, one of the funnels towering above showing a clear split from battle damage. The line of men shimmied over top of the aft mast which had partially collapsed, glancing off the funnel and hanging limp over the ships side. Stepping around the shards of boats, warped metal, and small fires as they went, the crew soon came to the aft bridge which was relatively intact. Rainbow’s firing had slackened significantly, her 4.7” battery still seemingly to be operational although firing at a much-reduced rate of fire.

kD8HRFG.jpg

View of Rainbow's broadside battery, her walkway over the battery can be seen to the left.

Hose stopped momentarily at the rail to peer over, catching the sight of the ships aft 6” gun. A skeleton crew was left manning the weapon, injured men limped back and forth, powder and shell in hand. Even more men lay motionless on the splinter warped decks, their comrades simply stepping around them as they went. For the second and last time that day, the very decks of Rainbow lurched violently. As if a hand from up on high had come rocketing down on her, a thunderous explosion erupted forward, sending debris skyward. Hose had managed to keep himself from colliding with the deck again as he shielded his eyes from the flash but as he came up from his half crouch, he felt her begin to slow significantly as light grey smoke vented from her funnels.

“What was that?” One of the officers cried as he stuck his head out over the aft bridge wing, “Oh my god.......the bow is gone!”

Hose gritted his teeth in frustration as he leaned over the rail to view the damage for himself. From what he could see through her mangled remains, the fire forward must have reached down into the magazines and touched them off. Everything a few feet forward of the first funnel was completely missing, the shattered hull slapping against the incoming water as she rapidly began to dig her forward compartments further down into the sea. They were incredibly lucky the explosions were contained forward of the ship, as they could have easily spread aft through the shared 4.7” ammunition handling areas. Hose didn’t discount the thought of a second detonation but that being said, they were no longer a fighting unit and with shells still splashing around her, it was time to save whatever crew he could at this point.

“Lieutenant get the message out to everybody you can.” Hose paused for a moment as he glanced back forward, “We are abandoning ship. If anybody can reach the ensign, they can haul it down.”

This effort would seem to be in vain though as another shell rocketed into the aft of Rainbow, cutting down a group of men who were beginning to assemble on her side. Hose silently cursed as he felt the ship let out a horrible groan before slipping even further into a nosedive. There was no time for flotation vests, they would have to take their chances with the sea. Jumping down the side of the aft bridge and onto the deck below, Hose felt his feet buckle slightly but the adrenaline in his veins pushed him to repeatedly yelled to any men still on the deck to abandon the ship. Any in earshot rapidly complied with a prompt splash. There would be no rousing final speech to his crew for their noble actions and stellar fighting before they went over, he would have to make do by hopefully saving as many lives as he could. The feeling of imminent dread began to take hold of Hose but for his actions, the decks were clear of any live personnel. As the officer rounded the corner to the aft 6” gun, he was beginning to lose the battle with his instincts to stay aboard. To his surprise though, a lone figure could be made out standing at the main firing position. With a thunderous crack, the weapon spoke for the last time as the young boy soon slumped down exhausted to the deck. His body was soaked with sweat and blood dripped from his chest and head, pooling under his position on the deck below.

“I got one last salvo off all by myself sir.” He sputtered, “I think I even hit the bastard too!”

Hose looked around at the spattering of torn bodies surrounding the mount, “Incredible job lad but I think it’s time for a swim now. Can you swim?”

The boy nodded but as he turned to get up and follow Hose over the side, his legs collapsed out from under him and he fell back into a pile on the deck. With no time to spare, Hose reached down with the remainder of his strength and half hoisted the boy into his arms, edging his way to the side before taking one last look around at his ship. The blackened and shredded surroundings were devoid of any survivors, just the same though the Germans continued to poor fire into her somewhere even as she rapidly sank. As the stern continued to rise up and up into the mist, Hose stood defiantly beside the aft cap stain. Glancing down at his watch, they had been engaged for just shy of 45 minutes. Definitely more than he had expected to hold out against such a foe. Just before he dropped into the murky deep and it's encompassing blackness, Hose couldn't help but turn his attention the tattered ensign, still flapping defiantly from up above.

Last edited:
I think Rainbow did her best, nice Hood-like scene at the ending there. I imagine I wouldn’t be too far off if I guessed it was one of the boys from a couple chapters ago who fired the last shot?

excellent chapter, its good to see rainbow atleast went down fighting. i wonder if leipzig will stop to pick up survivors and maybe drop them off in san francisco to be interned?

i wonder if leipzig will stop to pick up survivors and maybe drop them off in san francisco to be interned?
That would be my expectation, although Leipzig herself might be interned as a belligerent (I'm fuzzy on how that particular law works in practice). I think the Rainbow's survivors will be picked up by Leipzig - or maybe the SS Mongolia that's been shadowing Rainbow this whole time if Leipzig feels it shouldn't hang around - given immediate medical attention, then provided with a boat to sail/row their way to shore.

That would be my expectation, although Leipzig herself might be interned as a belligerent (I'm fuzzy on how that particular law works in practice). I think the Rainbow's survivors will be picked up by Leipzig - or maybe the SS Mongolia that's been shadowing Rainbow this whole time if Leipzig feels it shouldn't hang around - given immediate medical attention, then provided with a boat to sail/row their way to shore.

i believe rainbow herself went into port earlier in the story and was not interned, so taking in survivors might not mean she is interned.im not really sure either so anybody who does know feel free to quote me. would the us send rescue craft out? i also wonder if there would be any diplomatic tensions between canada and america for having a battle so close to american shores.

a lot of good stuff !

i believe rainbow herself went into port earlier in the story and was not interned, so taking in survivors might not mean she is interned.im not really sure either so anybody who does know feel free to quote me. would the us send rescue craft out? i also wonder if there would be any diplomatic tensions between canada and america for having a battle so close to american shores.

a lot of good stuff !
Isn’t there a Collier on the way for Rainbow? Maybe she’ll pick up survivors, though Leipzig would capture her if she can, hopefully we’ll get an idea on the extent of her damage soon.

a lot of good stuff !
Rules depend on interpretation , normally coaling was OK if you were low on fuel but not it you had full bunkers. Big list of things you could do and when you could do them . For example warships could normally not leave within 24 hours of an enemy ship ( merchant or war ) so funny games could be played to keep ships in port till reinforcements appeared/ important ships fled. Hence warships tended to be wary of entering neutral ports.

I think Rainbow did her best, nice Hood-like scene at the ending there. I imagine I wouldn’t be too far off if I guessed it was one of the boys from a couple chapters ago who fired the last shot?

Very good guess, you are correct there. We'll see the consequences of his actions in future chapters.

Nothing I can see in Hague 1907 would prevent Leipzig from delivering survivors to US soil, and leaving again freely, as long as Haun did not take on more coal, or do any other prohibited actions.

Rules depend on interpretation , normally coaling was OK if you were low on fuel but not it you had full bunkers. Big list of things you could do and when you could do them . For example warships could normally not leave within 24 hours of an enemy ship ( merchant or war ) so funny games could be played to keep ships in port till reinforcements appeared/ important ships fled. Hence warships tended to be wary of entering neutral ports.

Completely correct, there is nothing barring Leipzig from entering San Francisco herself but as pjmidd stated, it's not particularly warranted. Local rescue resources or locals themselves might be on the scene or one of the many auxiliaries on either side could intervene. As I stated above, all will be clear soon enough. Perhaps not what you would think as a normal outcome may occur ;)

Isn’t there a Collier on the way for Rainbow? Maybe she’ll pick up survivors, though Leipzig would capture her if she can, hopefully we’ll get an idea on the extent of her damage soon.

can leipzig legally take a merchant ship carrying cargo to a neutral nation, although the cargo might be seen as war supplies on a belligerent sides ship? the ship is british but it’s officially going to Mexico?

I think we have just seen two VC's bring awarded! One to Hose as captain for fighting his ship against the odds, whilst wounded and the other on his recommendation to the boy sailor on the after 6" unlike boy seaman Jack Cornwell, I hope this lad survives. If Hope is only awarded a DSO, then the Boy seaman could be the First Canadian VC of the war.
Good story telling by the way, congratulations.

I think we have just seen two VC's bring awarded! One to Hose as captain for fighting his ship against the odds, whilst wounded and the other on his recommendation to the boy sailor on the after 6" unlike boy seaman Jack Cornwell, I hope this lad survives. If Hope is only awarded a DSO, then the Boy seaman could be the First Canadian VC of the war.
Good story telling by the way, congratulations.

Thank you very much! We shall see in the future what becomes of Rainbow’s crew, Canada definitely needs a morale boost at this time.

Boy, when you name a story, you name a story. I wasn't expecting the Rainbow to be sunk so soon. I mean it was inevitably going to happen given the name, but that was relativity speaking, very early in the story.

can leipzig legally take a merchant ship carrying cargo to a neutral nation, although the cargo might be seen as war supplies on a belligerent sides ship? the ship is british but it’s officially going to Mexico?
Yes. If it's under the red ensign then it's fair game regardless of destination unless it's a hospital ship.

Boy, when you name a story, you name a story. I wasn't expecting the Rainbow to be sunk so soon. I mean it was inevitably going to happen given the name, but that was relativity speaking, very early in the story.

Well the timeline has covered the entire history of the Canadian Navy and it’s developments from Confederation to 1913, so we have had some time but yes, it’s relatively early to see the namesake title of the timeline “happen”. Rainbow’s sinking is the key turning point of the story and what will allow this timeline to successfully diverge. She may be lost but her effects on Canada as a whole are nowhere near over and will be felt for decades to come.

Deaf and Blind
August 11, 1914. SMS Leipzig, Debris field of the former HMCS Rainbow.

Fregattenkapitän Johannes Haun stared intently out the shattered porthole of his cabin, clasping his hands tightly behind his back as he did. The steam launch had returned to the ship once again, towing multiple rowboats and their cloth covered cargo. The crew went about the grim duty of moving the recovered bodies from the boats into the ship before heading back out into the murk once again. It was rather humiliating; the majority of his small boats had been turned to splinters, forcing them to scavenge the intact vessels from their former enemy, once they had used them boats to collect the dead. For all of their trouble, those men did not deserve to be left at the mercy of the surf, they had more than deserved a proper burial. He would wish that for his own crew if they had exchanged roles, and they very nearly had. Haun cursed himself for allowing the Canadians to get the jump on him, he had underestimated what he thought was merely an outdated training cruiser. Here he was now, standing amidst the shrapnel and splinters of his office. The door leading into the room swung open, the Executive Officer quickly stepping inside, flashing a collection of papers he held in his hands. Haun was relieved that his second in command and very good friend had survived the battle, his scrupulous administrative abilities were rather useful especially in times such as these.

“I would offer you a seat Kretschmar but as you can likely see, we are somewhat lacking in furniture at the moment. I am guessing you have the damage report. Please, start immediately.”

Kretschmar clearing his throat before beginning, “I have compiled the various departmental damage reports into one document, I could not bring each of the department heads here to speak with you personally due to their workload but I can attest to the validity of this compilation. The overall damage to the ship has been tallied at 31 hits with only 6 shells properly exploding. Splinter, holing and blast damage to the hull is extensive. I have been warned sternly that if we enter a heavy sea state, we are going to receive flooding around and above the waterline. The Chief Engineer reports all machinery has been inspected and is completely operable. Multiple shells have impacted the armored deck but very few detonated and no penetrations have been found. The port electric dynamo was been damaged by a nearby shell impact but is projected to be back in service shortly. Sailors are attempting to remove unexploded shells from the affected compartments however, they are being hampered by the location of the coal bunkers. Splinter damage has affected the aft two funnels, but this should not impair the capacity of the vessel and will hopefully be repaired soon as well.”

The officer paused as he flicked to the next page in the stack, “The Artillery Officer has noted the pair of aft mounted 10.5cm guns received significant splinter damage from the detonation of a nearby shell. The shields likely saved the guns themselves, but they are damaged to the point that we must remove the armor plates in order use the guns again. The protective shutters for the below deck 10.5cm guns on the port side have both been destroyed by splinters, leaving those weapons unprotected from the elements. A pair of the port side 3.7cm ‘Pom Poms’ have been completely destroyed. Some spare parts were salvaged but the majority of the ammunition for both mounts were lost to fire. Due to promptly enforced fire discipline, total expenditure for the engagement was only 316 shells in total, leaving us with 1,184 shells remaining in our magazines.

“All things considered, those are both rather positive outcomes.” Haun stated as he scratched his chin, “We retain the ability to sail and fight fairly effectively while the ammunition expended was not unreasonable. Please continue with the report.”

Kretschmar nodded, “Sadly Fregattenkapitän, I believe that is the end of the positive news. The Chief Electrician states that the wireless antennae were shot away during the action and while they can be repaired, a shell also impacted the wireless room. One of the operators was killed and another wounded, the majority of the equipment within the compartment was destroyed. Even with the stock of spare parts we possess, we are unable to communicate effectively without a replacement set. The Chief Medical Officer also reports 42 total casualties. 17 men are dead, 10 are seriously wounded and the remaining 15 should be able to return to service if they recover. 5 of the ship’s boats have been lost in the battle, we have recovered 2 boats from the debris field, but this will restrict our ability to effectively refuel at sea or enact boarding actions. Our Quartermaster has stated that the fire in the storeroom has been brought under control successfully, but our stocks of fresh food and canned implements have been severely reduced. With strict rationing, his estimates put the food supply at just under 2 weeks at sea before we must restock.”

As his second in command finished his report with some various small details, Haun slowly rapped his fingers across the scarred sea desk in front of him. “I can imagine you have surmised a fair bit from those reports regarding our current situation. What is your view of our predicament?”

“Well sir, I believe that after the commendable actions of our crew this morning, we currently stand at an important crossroads. We have cut down one of the very few confirmed enemy vessels of war stationed on this coast and have emerged in full fighting trim, however we have been blinded and starved of vital supplies. Lacking a wireless set and with the superficial damage we have received, I believe attempting to rendezvous with elements of East Asiatic Squadron is exceptionally dangerous as of now.”

Haun nodded, “Excellent observations as always, I agree wholeheartedly with your review of the situation. With the Japanese continuing to posture as if they will enter this war as our enemies, we will very likely be rounded up and put to the sword by a joint Anglo-Japanese squadron. I worry about the presence of Izumo in these waters, although what lurks out deeper in the Pacific worries me even greater. We are essentially marooned in this area for the time being, although I can think of many a worse place to be. Our next move should be to allow the crew to rest and perform repairs, I would very much like to meet with the Consul General in San Francisco and gather any recent news I possibly can. How goes the rescue efforts?”

“41 bodies and 5 survivors as of the last report, although it seems another boat has returned while we were speaking. That explosion seems to killed most of the crew, the strong tide and fog are making recovery efforts rather difficult as well.” Kretschmar stole a glance out the porthole as well for a moment, “Would you like me to call off the search sir?”

“No, continue for the next hour and then recall all of the boats.” Haun said, “Since we cannot call forward, we will have to send in the steam launch to notify the Consul General of our meeting, although he is likely already well aware of our presence. I would like to transfer any prisoners and bodies ashore alongside replenishing our pantries as much as can possibly be done. I will prepare a message for him shortly.”

As Kretschmar saluted and left the room, Haun turned and looked at the room around him. Glassware was smashed into pieces on the floor, the remains of the spare chairs were piled beside the door waiting for removal and the thick odor of charred material slowly crept its way in through the now open portholes. Their situation was made much more difficult as of now. This coast was relatively undefended now that the sole Canadian warship had been destroyed, only aging coastal batteries and a pair of similarly ancient Royal Navy sloops stood between his ship and unfettered access to merchants and the shore side war receptacles they drew from. It would take considerable time to divert more warships to this coast and with Admiral von Spee lurking in the Pacific, reinforcements might not arrive at all. The 'Cruiser Handbook' offered interesting insights on potential targets and worthwhile ventures but if they were to solidify his strategy regarding this area, they would need additional insight. This world moved fast and while German intelligence was top notch, things could change in a backwater like this with little outside knowledge.

As Captain and crew alike wondered on their futures, Leipzig herself was squarely setting course to sail off into the annals of naval history.

Last edited:
being left without a wireless set is a major problem, that means they won’t be able to effectively flag down merchants and communicate without going into port? otherwise im surprised they came out of that engagement so well....

Imagine if Rainbow got the better shells on time...

I would imagine Rainbow would have had a fairly good chance of completely mission killing Leipzig if she had proper high explosive shells. That being said, her lack of armor piercing ammunition means she could not directly damage any of the vital components under her enemies protected deck. Her shooting was rather good for what she was working with but in the end, no cigar. She’s complicated the lives of her adversaries but they are still very much kicking.