Random Idea: French Monarchy Restored Post World War II

Just had a semi-random idea earlier; what if after the Fall of France one of the various claimants to the French throne (Legitimist, Orleanist, or Bonapartist, pick you favorite) plays some sort of significant role in the Free French/French Resistance. I could see that being possible if one of the claimants had a strong personality and leadership skills and took the initiative when an opportunity presented itself. The World War II era seems like the best time I could think of for when a relatively obscure claimant to the abolished French Throne just might manage to do something that makes people consider restoration (presumably as a British-style constitutional monarch).

So ... is it even vaguelly possible, or was it just a crazy random idea?

Sargon

Donor
Monthly Donor
Just had a semi-random idea earlier; what if after the Fall of France one of the various claimants to the French throne (Legitimist, Orleanist, or Bonapartist, pick you favorite) plays some sort of significant role in the Free French/French Resistance. I could see that being possible if one of the claimants had a strong personality and leadership skills and took the initiative when an opportunity presented itself. The World War II era seems like the best time I could think of for when a relatively obscure claimant to the abolished French Throne just might manage to do something that makes people consider restoration (presumably as a British-style constitutional monarch).

So ... is it even vaguelly possible, or was it just a crazy random idea?

IIRC correctly, postwar in the 50s or maybe the 60s, de Gaulle toyed with the idea of reinstating the monarchy So there's a POD there. Could be tricky though. But as this is France, anything is possible I guess.

Sargon

They were also toying with the idea of merging with the UK and in that idea had an option of adopting the English Monarchy during and just after the Suez Crisis.

They were also toying with the idea of merging with the UK and in that idea had an option of adopting the English Monarchy during and just after the Suez Crisis.

United Kingdom of Great Britain, France and Northern Ireland...

drooling_homer.gif

Even if you replaced - say - de Gaulle with a royal of one of the major houses, I think you'd still have to a hard time replacing republicanism simply because it was so ingrained by that point. Monarchism in France had basically become politically eccentric by the 1900's and it never recovered it's former strength.

I'm not saying it can't be done, but you'd have to be pretty inventive.

O, and if you were to restore the French Monarchy, better off with the Orléanists or Bonapartists (but I'd prefer the former). As Susano would most likely say, the Legitimists have the weakest claim to the throne.