Protestant "North France"

Superdude

Banned
How do we get a POD where northern France is a seperate kingdom from southern France, and Protestant?

Perhaps something to do with the Hundred Years War? England, Brittany, and Burgundy do better, and they divide northern France among themselves.

From there, I don't know how one would get to two kingdoms calling themselves France.

Superdude

Banned
I know. With a POD in the Hundred Years War, however...

Nevermind, there wouldn't be a "Protestantism," but there would likely be a powerful movement to alter the Catholic Church.

Maybe a more nationalist flavored thing, like the Hussites taking root in Northern France, and Southern France being more in the Papal orbit.

South France was always the more anti-papal region though... I mean, I suppose it could be reversed, but if North France splits from the Church I think South France would follow.

Superdude

Banned
With only a relatively weak kingdom in Southern France, would it not be under threat of Spain if it strays too far from the Catholic Church?

I don't know the relative strengths of Spain and France at this time, but Im very sure that a kingdom that only covers Southern France would not be nearly as powerful as otl's full kingdom.

With only a relatively weak kingdom in Southern France, would it not be under threat of Spain if it strays too far from the Catholic Church?

I don't know the relative strengths of Spain and France at this time, but Im very sure that a kingdom that only covers Southern France would not be nearly as powerful as otl's full kingdom.
Well, look at Catharism... It's primary state supporter was supported by the Duchy of Toulouse, not the Kingdom of France or even all of South France.

Superdude

Banned
True.

Nevermind a catholic Southern France. Perhaps there are 2 different breaks with the Catholic church, one based off the Hussite rebellion and the other influenced by Catharism?

Hendryk

Banned
The idea of a Hughenot secession has come up before. It might work, provided certain conditions are met, but I'm unable to go into specifics as this isn't a period I'm familiar with. But just to feed the discussion, here's a map of the Catholic/Protestant split during the wars of religion in France.

huguenotwars.jpg