POTUS: Seven Year Term

It wasn't until rather late in the game the Constitutional Convention decided that the President be elected to multiple four year terms, instead of the original, seven year term. If the original proposal had survived, how would early American history been affected?

It wasn't until rather late in the game the Constitutional Convention decided that the President be elected to multiple four year terms, instead of the original, seven year term. If the original proposal had survived, how would early American history been affected?

I believe the alternate proposal was for a 6 year presidential term. Had that happened, then the 1st 3 presidents of the United States may have been:
1789-1795 George Washington
1795-1801 John Adams
1801-1813 Thomas Jefferson

I believe the alternate proposal was for a 6 year presidential term. Had that happened, then the 1st 3 presidents of the United States may have been:
1789-1795 George Washington
1795-1801 John Adams
1801-1813 Thomas Jefferson

Jefferson gets two, but Washington doesn't?

Jefferson gets two, but Washington doesn't?

IIRC, Washington was ready to retire by the time his second term ended. I doubt that two year's difference would change that, especially since he died IOTL before his second six-year term would have been completed (although his death could easily be butterflied away to a later date).

If the Presidential term were six years, would Jefferson run again? Iirc, he refused a third four year term on principle.

Maybe one term becomes the custom, and is eventually mandated.

Last edited:
Acutally, in the constiutional convention, one draft had the president with a single, seven-year term -

The Executive power of the United States shall be vested in a single person. His style shall be,'' The President of the United States of America," and his title shall be, "His Excellency." He shall be elected by ballot by the Legislature. He shall hold office during the term of seven years; but shall not be elected a second time.

Therefore I see -
1789-96 - George Washington
1796-1803 - John Adams
1803-10 - Thomas Jefferson

The next few Presidents are pretty easy, since most of the first ones served two terms with friendly congresses anyway. Afterward is anyone's guess.

Would there still be a Vice President in this setup? There would seem little need for one.

If not, then Adams isn't guaranteed to succeed Wahington, not having been his VP.

Thande

Donor
The 7-year term was probably derived from the fact that the Westminster Parliament had 7-year terms at the time, much like how the US Senate's organisation with 2 Senators per state is derived from Parliament's (then) setup with two MPs per county.