Potenial for a Chinese Renaissance?

I've been doing som research on 10th century China, and found some of the leaders of that era supported a lot of art and poetry. I'd like help devolping this... Whats the best chance to trigger a Renaissance in China in the 10th century AD?

Hard to do when you have the Northern Nomads beating at your gate.

Also, China was already pretty much dedicated to the arts, so you're being redundant over there.

There was no "Dark Age" like that of EUrope.

Last edited:
Hard to do when you have the Northern Nomads beating at your gate.

Also, China was already pretty much dedicated to the arts, so you're being redundant over there.

There was no "Dark Age" like that of EUrope.
But I am asking about a spefic period. The 10th centry.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Song_Dynasty

Look and see if the Song had it easy.
Yeah, but the culture of the Northern Song isn't exactly as cultivating, or competive as a Southern based culture. And the Song wouldn't become Southern based until the 12th century. I do notice that the leaders that ended the Later Shu and Southern Tang states both had the arts and lit down.

In fact, the Southern Song fit the bill, if they can keep from getting conquered, like say Italy did despite being a cultural prize to the surronding enemies of Austria, France, Spain, and the Ottomans.

Faeelin

Banned
Yeah, but the culture of the Northern Song isn't exactly as cultivating, or competive as a Southern based culture. And the Song wouldn't become Southern based until the 12th century. I do notice that the leaders that ended the Later Shu and Southern Tang states both had the arts and lit down.

I dunno. I've always had a soft spot for some of the Northern Song thinkers; and give me Wang Anshi over Macchiavelli any day when it comes to advice for running a state.

I dunno. I've always had a soft spot for some of the Northern Song thinkers; and give me Wang Anshi over Macchiavelli any day when it comes to advice for running a state.
How about something for a smaller state setup? China's never been the most dipolmatic of places during its warlord eras though it would be a long time till that happened again.

Hendryk

Banned
The closest China came to having a European-style "dark age" was in the aftermath of the collapse of the Han dynasty, with invading barbarians setting up petty kingdoms in the ruins of the empire, a general disengagement of the scholarly elites from power, and the masses converting in large numbers to a new religion (namely Buddhism) whose clergy grew in influence until in was a state-within-the-state. If one considers that a "renaissance" is what follows a "dark age", then the Tang dynasty was very much a renaissance. Many of China's finest poets lived during that era, trade flourished, the printing press was invented... How's that for a renaissance?