Posting "France Fights On" in extenso: would it be allowed?

Hendryk

Banned
There have been several recent mentions of this excellent ATL, which too few people are aware of. Does anyone know whether it could be reposted here at AH.com?

I'd say go ahead; if someone complains, the thread can be deleted. I did the same with posting a 1985 ISOT of Yugoslavia that I ran across on Usenet.

Hendryk

Banned
France Fights On is going to be published in France, so it might be not kosher to publish it.
Indeed, hence the question. I think it would be a good idea to post the entire TL at AH.com but obviously, if that breaches any copyright, that settles it. I just don't know whom to ask.

Hendryk

Banned
Short of reposting it, something that would be nice is providing good quality maps of the TL. Their own maps, in stark contrast with the well-researched and detailed text, are few and rather on the crude side.

Indeed, hence the question. I think it would be a good idea to post the entire TL at AH.com but obviously, if that breaches any copyright, that settles it. I just don't know whom to ask.

Could you not ask someone at FFO? They have posted it themselves and seem to have a French->English translation effort going, so I can't see any huge problem there. Anyways, I'd ask one of the FFO people (and I'd be very interested in seeing the TL if it was actually published here).

Last edited:
There have been several recent mentions of this excellent ATL, which too few people are aware of. Does anyone know whether it could be reposted here at AH.com?

As you may have seen Hendryk there are significant differences between this English TL and the one currently published in France in French. Which raises the question of which one is more "canon" or more realistic.

John Farson

Banned
Personally, I prefer to follow the French site. I consider it to be the original version, though they did make modifications for 1940 before publishing it.

Also, like I've said before, I'm unable to suspend disbelief about half of France's colonies (from French Guyana to Syria) going over to the collaborationists in the metropole instead of remaining loyal to the legal government in Algiers. OTL, Petain was able to rely on the obedience of the French military and overseas colonies (at least initially) because his was the legitimate government of France. Here, Laval and his ilk do not have that luxury since Reynaud hasn't resigned and his government hasn't signed an armistice with the Germans.

Hendryk

Banned
As you may have seen Hendryk there are significant differences between this English TL and the one currently published in France in French. Which raises the question of which one is more "canon" or more realistic.

Personally, I prefer to follow the French site. I consider it to be the original version, though they did make modifications for 1940 before publishing it.
Yeah, I too consider the French version canonic. Though I have some nitpicks of my own about certain developments.

John Farson

Banned
Yeah, I too consider the French version canonic. Though I have some nitpicks of my own about certain developments.

Such as?

The thing that I was never comfortable with was the idea that the Japanese would discover absolutely everything (knowledge that the Allies had broken the Axis codes, tech, doctrines etc.) from the wreckage of the Prince of Wales without the crew making an effort to save/destroy the files, though there may be changes for that once FFO 1941 and 1942 are published.

Such as?

The thing that I was never comfortable with was the idea that the Japanese would discover absolutely everything (knowledge that the Allies had broken the Axis codes, tech, doctrines etc.) from the wreckage of the Prince of Wales without the crew making an effort to save/destroy the files, though there may be changes for that once FFO 1941 and 1942 are published.

The Prince of Wales thing was, IIRC, due to the fact the ones who could destroy the relevant materials got snuffed by a shell, thus were unable to do it.