People who could have been good US presidents.

samcster94

Banned
Fred Thompson - Interesting similarities to Reagan
Edward Brooke - Let's go 180 degrees away from the Republican southern strategy. :)
Bob Dole -State of the Union address spoken in third person!!
Jimmy Stewart - Don't know how effective a politician he would be, but he could have won elections.
Jimmy Stewart in the House(but only for a few terms), I can picture.

About actors: I propose Alan Alda. He already played a president on TV after all, which gives him a lot more experience than a celebrity game show host.

That's why I said "at first blush". Hoover made a number of steps in the right direction to mitigate the effects of the crash: that much is beyond question. He was also an administrator without peer-witness the relief work in Belgium and how he advanced day-to-day life as SecComm-but probably not the best executive / policy-setter. On the flip side, his name was a watchword for profound conservatism in the '30s, '40s, and even into the '50s (see, for example, in Inside USA, writing of the Dakotas, John Gunther (1947) said "South thinks that North is full of Bolsheviks, while North thinks that South is a preserve for all people to the right of Herbert Hoover."), although he became something of a Grand Old Man during the Eisenhower years, with memories fogged by the passage of time. Also, he had an unfortunate tendency to pick what proved to be the wrong side in some controversies (he favored isolationism in the late '30s/early '40s, was a mild supporter of Joe McCarthy, and called prohibition "a noble experiment", as three examples).

I'd suggest that had Hoover somehow gotten the nomination in 1920 instead of 1928 (and he was a viable if lesser candidate), he would have won (almost any GOP candidate would have) and would have done a competent, if not very good job--and the 1920s would have been notably different.

Or the world might have had the Great Depression ten years earlier. People forget that there was in fact, a short-lived but very real depression in 1920=1921, all but forgotten now. President Warren Harding, too often derided, stick handled the government through the depression by, among other things, essentially ignoring Hoover's ideas for aggressive intervention in the economy. Given command in 1920. Hoover might have mishandled the situation with who knows what results.

About actors: I propose Alan Alda. He already played a president on TV after all, which gives him a lot more experience than a celebrity game show host.
Alda never portrayed a President on TV. He portrayed an unnamed President in the 1995 film "Canadian Bacon", but I hardly feel that qualifies him for the office (besides his character loses re-election in a massive landslide and is forced to host a local morning talk-show).

Alda never portrayed a President on TV. He portrayed an unnamed President in the 1995 film "Canadian Bacon", but I hardly feel that qualifies him for the office (besides his character loses re-election in a massive landslide and is forced to host a local morning talk-show).

That stupid San Andreo nuclear accident prevented Senator Vinick (R-CA) from winning.

I supported McCain during the 2000 primaries but now I think he would have been erratic as president, even if he had won in 2000.

Bob Dole as president having won the 1980 or perhaps 1988 election would have been interesting. Dole was widely respected in the Senate and, particularly if elected in 1980 and re-elected in 1984, may have given the country temperate policies that ebbed the rise of leftism (as did Reagan) but which also didn't blow up the debt or give us the WWF-style politics of the last 40 years.

Dole in '88 was probably too late, as he would've had to run against the Reagan Revolution, which, even if elected, would've made him a party of one, and he would have been even less equipped than George H.W. Bush was in the early '90s to manage the cultural changes that were emanating out of the Boomers turning 40 and taking over mass media and pop culture (e.g., Bush's response to Rodney King seemed to do nothing to quell the public unrest; Quayle's Murphy Brown kerfuffle was tone deaf).

Dole was probably past his prime by 1988 but might have been an interesting president during the Reagan era to enact more even keeled policies on the country during its conservative era.

Zebulon Montgomery Pike if he survived the War of 1812 would be interesting.

To add to the Montgomeries, Richard if he survived the Revolution.

Kaze

Banned
Douglas Mac Arthur instead of Eisenhower.
Colin Powell
John Dillinger - sticking it to the banks
Howard Hughes in World War Two - long before he becomes a nut
Nelson Rockefeller
Gus Hall
Charles Philip Arthur George of the House of Windsor, Prince of Wales (-just kidding!:winkytongue: )

Douglas Mac Arthur instead of Eisenhower.
Colin Powell
John Dillinger - sticking it to the banks
Howard Hughes in World War Two - long before he becomes a nut
Nelson Rockefeller
Gus Hall
Charles Philip Arthur George of the House of Windsor, Prince of Wales (-just kidding!:winkytongue: )

I used to hate McArthur but have at least accepted that he's more complex than my initial surface level snapshot was on him. It's hard to say if he'd be a good President or not.

Regarding McArthur:
Aging Poorly: Pretty much everything he did in Korea in the time right before the Chinese invasion until he was fired. Him not really fully understanding the implications of loose use of nuclear weapons at the time.
Aging Well: His stance against a military buildup in Vietnam.

His hopes that he would be swept into the nomination at the convention without much active campaigning in 52 was probably wishful thinking, and he was vindictive and way too stubborn on strategy, but at the same time, his views on Japanese reconstruction and the steps to ensure good post war relations with Japan have been pretty well vindicated. Most signs point to him doing at least as much as Eisenhower on civil rights, and he'd be governing during the 1950s prosperity, which would help his popularity.

BP Booker

Banned
Of course all the democratic "could have beens" (Gore, Kerry, Hillary, etc...) but Im really obsessed with historically liberal republicans:

Robert M. LaFollette
Charles E. Hughes
Thomas E Dewey
Nelson Rockefeller
George Romney

I would love to see what a Phill Scott or Charley Baker presidency would look like...

Charles Evans Hughes winning in 1916 could have been beneficial, as he proposed much more strident preparation for potential involvement in Europe, which he saw as inevitable.

William Knowland, who spent some time in the Senate in the 50s as both Majority and Minority Leader, might have been interesting to see, due to his objection to involvement in Vietnam.

Paul Large

Banned
Nelson Rockefeller
Hillary Clinton
Jim Baker
Colin Powell
All Gore
Robert Kennedy
Ann Richards
Joe Biden
Mario Cuomo

John Chaffe. Combat Marine in both WWII and the Korean War, Governor of Rhode Island, Secretary of the Navy and long serving U.S. Senator. The very embodiment of the old Eastern, Internationalist wing of the GOP.