PC: Paganism defeating Christianity in Europe?.

I think one could question if Islam would have developed as it had if Arian Christianity rather than Trinitarian Christianity had become dominant.

You had two "brands" of Arianism
- A strict Arianism that wasn't that much popular, about distinguishing totally the Father and the Son. I don't think it had a chance to begin with.

- A soft Arianism, called Homeism. It was the one eventually adopted by many Barbarians (in a time where Homeism, being considered as a compromise between hardliners, was favoured by Rome).
It's more likely to dominate, but it would be based on a more or less half-assed stance about "They're not dissimilar, but they're not similar as well".

If Islam still appears may have been more influenced by Judeo-Messianism, Nestorianism, and other oriental Christianities rather than Trinitarians, anti-Trinitarians or it-depends-Trinitarians. Their answer face to an Homean Christianity may vary from IOTL, but the accusation of associationism may stand.

That said, it would be a given that a IVth century PoD would have important effects on the region and could easily butterfly away Muhhamad's appearance. At very best, you'd end with a quite different Islam equivalent.

I don't see how. Monotheism existed before Christianity. Muhammad would still emerge withhis teachings and Christ would still be considered a prophet just as the Jews might have considered him in a non Christian world. Islam does not need Christianity to begin.
Talking about the development of Islam if there is no Christianity is like talking about the plausibility of Hitler invading Britain if Harold wins the Battle of Hastings.

Ok well then. It seems that i have been through proven utterly wrong in all regards. I was apparently laboring under the delusion that there was a point in time far back enough in the Dark Ages that the various pagans of Europe had a "last chance" or a really good chance at driving back the Christians.Of course what
AND
have said are pretty good pieces of damning evidence against that. Or are at worst really good logical examples of why it would be ASB or even flat out impossible for something like that to happen. I would have to dramatically scale back my ideas to the mere survival of any of the various flavors of pagan (another nigh impossible task) outlasting the end of the middle ages.

Also it seems that my OP was in fact misleading as was stated here.
Your asking two different questions.
For this i deeply apologize for wasting the time of all of the people whom were speculating about Christianity failing to convert the Romans (even though this is probably, ironically enough, the best way for monotheism to be kept out of Europe.)

Maybe a rewording of the intended question is in order:
Is there anyway after the fall of the WRE (476 AD) for Christianity to fail in Europe? Or to lose its dominant position?

Last edited:
Ok well then. It seems that i have been through proven utterly wrong in all regards. I was apparently laboring under the delusion that there was a point in time far back enough in the Dark Ages that the various pagans of Europe had a "last chance" or a really good chance at driving back the Christians.Of course what

AND

have said are pretty good pieces of damning evidence against that. Or are at worst really good logical examples of why it would be ASB or even flat out impossible for something like that to happen.

I would disagree. It is possible, but unlikely without some earlier differences. Just because something happened in otl doesn't mean that nothing else could happen.

I agree that the deck was heavily stacked in Christianity's favour, but such mass conversions from an established organised religion aren't completely out there.

The Mediterranean was once a christian lake.. The birthplace of Jesus, Egypt,etc etc all eventually converted to Islam. Arguably the muslims were also a minority and were able to stick to their own religion (and convert a fair few locals).

A POD I suggested was that exposure to christianity could have led to germanic priests organising their religion in a similar way. Contacts with Rome would have been sufficient to see the benefits of such an approach (and a wealth of pagan philosophy), and given the similarities in the religions of the Germans there is a chance it could spread between tribes. While not strictly as late as you like, such a pod could go someway to helping paganism perform much better in the west. Perhaps having an equivalent of jizya and the christian idea of 'rendering unto Caesar' would likely keep the Christians relatively happy (like in the Levant under Islam for example)

So while more difficult, I would say it isn't impossible. Christianity was lucky to survive intact and not be completely discredited in the eyes of its adherents. If the Franks et al had decided that the christians were weak zombie worshippers whose god had given his believers defeat. I know that in otl the Franks Goths etc
decided to convert and just take over the pre-existing power structures. They did not have to (it was just the easier course). None of it was set in stone.

Others may disagree, but even the history of Christianity shows that religion is more of a top down phenomenon at this time. Christianity only really exploded after Rome's elite took it up. Without state support Christianity could easily go the same way as the Roman religion it replaced.

I know this scenario is hardly the most likely, and requires a massive overhaul of Germanic Paganism into something far more organised, but I would say it wasn't completely impossible.

Jesus is quoted more than Mohammad in the Koran, as well as being God's representative on Earth during the end times. The whole point of islam was to be "chapter three". The religion as we know it would totally be butterflied away without Christianity.

EDIT: I think that's how Jesus is viewed during the Apocalypse in Islam, it always kind of confused me.

As I mentioned in some other thread, some scholars theorize that Islam came about as a "reaction" to the controversies regarding the Trinity and the nature/relationship of each Person in the Trnitarian God (you know, the argument of Holy Spirit derived from Father or from both Father and Son, things like that). Islam comes about and provides an 'alternative' to a more simpler worship: One God, no different aspects. A sort of back to basics approach in relation to Judaism's original One God.

That's a simplification yes, but it's essentially what is emphasized in Islam in relation to Christianity, that we believe Jesus is the Messiah, an important figure, but not divine. There's a chapter in the Koran which talks all about God is One and not begotten nor does God beget, etc. very similar to a line in teh Book of Isaiah, if I recall correctly.

Anyway...with a different Christianity, a non-Trinitarian one, Islam would be changed. The emphasis may well be different, or it may be seen as another sect of Unitarian Christianity. I do think if there's no OTL Christianity in Europe as per the OP, there's still a chance for some sort of non-Pauline Christianity in the East, a small, mainly Jewish sect, with a few gentile members (assuming this sect survives competition with rabbanical Judaism). It will be from this sect that any ATL Islam will draw its influence.

Of course if one believes some guy named Muhammad was really visited by an angel and given revelations, no amount of butterflies would change that :p

As for Jesus in an Islamic version of the apocalypse, here's what I wrote in a thread in the Non-political chat section:

At the end days, the Dajjal (some say his name must not be uttered!!!) or Antichcrist/false prophet whatever will rise and take over the world (of course!). Then to challenge him, the Mahdi, a sort of Muslim Aragorn (who may or may not be of the Prophet's bloodline) will challenge the evil he who must not be named, but at first unsuccesful and there will a siege at..ermm...Mecca or Jerusalem, I forgot which...

Now, at the night when the walls will be breached, the Mahdi is praying/staying vigil at the mosque, a man (in glowing white robes, IIRC) approached him. It's...the resurrected Jesus, the Messiah. Together, they defeat the evil army and Jesus goes one on one with the Antichrist, slaying him in glorious combat...or something.

But afterwards, after indetermined years of peace, prosperity and the spread of the true religion (culminating in the culling of ALL PIGS ON EARTH, hey I'm not making this up), those demons Gog and Magog are unleashed, both the Mahdi and Jesus are killed (cue Frodo "NOOOOOOOO!") and this signals the Day of Judgement when the sun rises from the WEST!

The end.

Hey, that's what I was told in the madrasah! :D

Does a religion/ tradition have to dominate Europe of all? Perhaps this is implausible (my knowledge of the collapse era of the Roman Empire being limited) but couldn't we see something similar to china? In the same way that Buddhism, Taoism and Confucianism made china the land I three religions, couldn't we see Europe develop multiple traditions of its own?

I was once told a phrase to describe the three religion attitude in china, being given the analogy that one would be a buddhist at rest, a Confucian at work and a Taoist at play to describe the many ways they compliment each other. Though you would have to go further back, why not something like being a Platonist in contemplation, a stoic in attitude and an epicurean in relationships?

I apologise if that sounds stupid, but you get the idea.

Does a religion/ tradition have to dominate Europe of all? Perhaps this is implausible (my knowledge of the collapse era of the Roman Empire being limited) but couldn't we see something similar to china? In the same way that Buddhism, Taoism and Confucianism made china the land I three religions, couldn't we see Europe develop multiple traditions of its own?

I was once told a phrase to describe the three religion attitude in china, being given the analogy that one would be a buddhist at rest, a Confucian at work and a Taoist at play to describe the many ways they compliment each other. Though you would have to go further back, why not something like being a Platonist in contemplation, a stoic in attitude and an epicurean in relationships?

I apologise if that sounds stupid, but you get the idea.

Paganism in Europe was like that it was generally not exclusive even the mystery cults. Once Christianity came around things were different. It was against being a Christian to believe in anything else. If were going with after the fall of the WRE then most forms of paganism were on the steep decline demographicly and the most poweful states of Europe were Christians.

Redhand

Banned
- A soft Arianism, called Homeism. It was the one eventually adopted by many Barbarians (in a time where Homeism, being considered as a compromise between hardliners, was favoured by Rome).
It's more likely to dominate, but it would be based on a more or less half-assed stance about "They're not dissimilar, but they're not similar as well".

I am assuming that Homeism developed after hardline Arianism did, but what I am confused about is how this influenced Barbarians when really, there were no more barbarians, as they had over the centuries through trade and contacts with Roman culture steadily been Romanized or at least had elements in their cultures that showed direct Roman influences. I think that Homeism might have appealed to a wider group than simply those who might have been considered Barbarians, as while Trinitraianism was fully engrained into the Imperial and municipal bureaucracy, that bureaucracy was weak and crumbling, so I am guessing that maybe to Roman citizens in rural areas, Homeism allowed them to keep links to the existing power structures that were fluctuating at the time.

How this influences the development of Islam if a few things change, I do not know. But I am guessing that there are certainly PODs that can be explored where Homeism lasts quite a bit longer.

Islam won't develop at all. It is butterflied away.

I think Islam could still show up, but it might be more polytheistic and paganic in my minds eye.

Has no one here considered the possibility of a sort of flip, of Christianity becoming highly Paganized at least in regards to traditions and rites? More so than it was in some places I mean.

I would have to dramatically scale back my ideas to the mere survival of any of the various flavors of pagan (another nigh impossible task) outlasting the end of the middle ages.

Wait : there's a difference between Paganism defeating Christianity in Europe, and impossibility of any traditional religion to survive and lives on to, say, the XVIth century.
You could delay things long enough to have more of IOTL Lithuanian situation, including parts of Scandinavia. The pressure is going to be huge, and that wouldn't be the most likely outcome but you could have a paganism living on long enough to be transmitted up to more tolerent and secular political backgrounds within limits of plausibility.

For this i deeply apologize for wasting the time of all of the people whom were speculating about Christianity failing to convert the Romans (even though this is probably, ironically enough, the best way for monotheism to be kept out of Europe.)
You don't have to apoligize when you managed to make an interesting threads with people discussing politely on interesting topics.

Is there anyway after the fall of the WRE (476 AD) for Christianity to fail in Europe? Or to lose its dominant position?
I don't think it would be possible at this moment : Romans and romanized Barbarians where structurally christianized at this moment (Christianism, since the early IVth century, being synonymous of romanisation due to its imperial official support). You could delay things (see above) but I don't know if it would counts as "fail in Europe".

A POD I suggested was that exposure to christianity could have led to germanic priests organising their religion in a similar way. Contacts with Rome would have been sufficient to see the benefits of such an approach (and a wealth of pagan philosophy), and given the similarities in the religions of the Germans there is a chance it could spread between tribes.
I think you overlook some things.

The contacts between Romans and Barbarians were really important after the IInd century. Trade, deportees, refugees, clients...You really had an exchanged that confined to mutual acculturation, rather than "enough important contacts". By the Late Empire, you can talk about a symbiotic relationship without too much exaggeration.

Rome had the bigger deal there, mostly because of its demographical and political structures, when Germanic kingship was less hegemonic (and really became so after their entry in Romania, when rulers were identified as rex and with a decisive military role, instead of the more or less priestly kingship of the Ist).
The diplomatic pressure shouldn't be diminished : Christianity, as an imperial political tool, was to be used.

It's not going to be stressed enough : structurally, Barbarians are as much a Roman creation than a Barbarian one; and the political-religious influence of Rome had a part on it.

You may have skipped something important as well (while it may have been implicit) : Germanic priesthood is often tied up with kingship, but this kingship didn't always made it after the IIIrd century. Not only you had kings of the Goths that may have been "only" opposer to another one (as the struggle between Athanaric and Fritigern) where the Christianised rulers would have a favoured relationship with Rome.

For all we know, it's possible that non-Christian rulers did tried to stress a structuration of the rites (it seems that it was attempted with some Scandinavians), but not only they would have encountered the opposition of both traditionalists (opposed to a really powerful kingship, that would be too close of Romans and Christianism structuration for their likes) and Christians (opposed for pretty obvious reasons); but once they'd have entered in Romania, it would have been toasted : integration within and on Roman structures depended too heavily of their Christianisation.

If the Franks et al had decided that the christians were weak zombie worshippers whose god had given his believers defeat.
That's, IMO, a caricature of Roman and Barbarians relations in the Late Empire. Barbarians were all about Rome, and the imperial structures (including religion) were something they tried quite heavily to preserve, even when not of their kind of Christianism, in order to mimetic the roman imperialship. (It's particularly obvious with Theodoric).

I know that in otl the Franks Goths etc decided to convert and just take over the pre-existing power structures.
Not really. They converted, except the Franks, for integrating existing structures, for being influenced by Roman prestige (It's not because some countries use American democratic features that they submit politically to it).
Separating religion from all the other features is IMO a big mistake. Heck, Christianisation of the Goths happened before they entered in Romania.

Frankish example is a bit particular, but point out why it was needed. Because they remained pagans, the Gallo-Roman clergy had big hopes to see them fight Homeans, and made an intense siege around him. If they decided to simply tell them to fuck off, you can bet the support would have switched easily from him to another one (possibly Goths, if Alaric II went trough his religious "program").

Again, Christianisation is just another part of the whole romanisation (and imperialisation) process for the Late Empire.

It will be from this sect that any ATL Islam will draw its influence.
From what I gathered, it's often tought (without decisive proof) that non-Pauline and Judeo-Messianic influences did have a role IOTL on Islam (with non-Chalcedonian churches on a general way, much than anti-trinitarism that existed, but really develloped itself during the conquest, after Muhammad. Which makes me think that a "confusionist" instead of "associationism" accusation could appear.

Of course, admitting Islam (or an Arabic Abrahamic religion) still exists with a IIIrd PoD.

I am assuming that Homeism developed after hardline Arianism did
It appeared roughly at the same time, and both sides were present at the Council of Nicea.

I think that Homeism might have appealed to a wider group than simply those who might have been considered Barbarians
Well certainly, as it it appeared in imperial circles for a moment, as an attempt to deal with extremists of both trinitarians and anti-trinitarians and to gather the imperial-christian flock. (a bit like monothelism in the VIIth century).

That Arianism and Homeism apparead in Romania points out you had believers there, after all.

But you have some factors explaining why it was associated with Barbarians
1) The refined discussion about the nature of Christ must have went straight over the head of many followers, especially the ones from popular classes.
Doesn't mean they didn't identified with one or another side, but maybe more for reason of affinities of religious policies rather than theological.

2) And when the emperors eventually said "Nope. Full Nicean" and that non-Nicean priests and teaching went "illegal" (remember that Christianism at this point as an imperial cult, constitutive of Roman identity or at least a structure that shouldn't be opposed without nasty consequences).

3)Political identity of Barbarians, especially after their entry in Romania, was really a good part of their whole identity. Giving the incestuous relationship between religion and power, when Barbarian and Roman identities (regardless of their mutual acculturation, or maybe because of it) were to be clearly defined, Homeism looked like a convenient distinctive marker for many people (at the point that Burgundians, originally Niceans, converted to Homeism).

It doesn't mean that all Barbarians where Homeans : we know that there was pagans, Homeans, Niceans, even Jews among the Vth century Franks. But what determinated the dominance was eventually the king's stance (itself based on geopolitical realities).
Alternativly, it doesn't mean all Romans were Niceans by the Vth century, but sources are more limited there, and giving the constitutive identitary part of Nicean, it had a clear dominance.

so I am guessing that maybe to Roman citizens in rural areas, Homeism allowed them to keep links to the existing power structures that were fluctuating at the time.
Rural Romans, except in the eastern part (but that's not really relevant when talking about Barbarians), practiced sort of syncretism between their own rites and a Christianity dominant in the cities (that were the backbone of Late Antiquity administration).
As I wanted to point above : the big part of the population probably didn't that much cared about theological in-depth nuances and if making a comparison with medieval heresies is fitting, it wasn't because you were Catholic that you didn't promoted heterodoxial ideas.

Similarly to the XIIIth, the monastic wave of the VIth/VIIth centuries established a rural orthodoxy network. But I wonder how much it was a thing before.

As much it's well written, I'm not sure it would work on this regard. Saxon society and structures wouldn't have lead to a Pagan Europe (or an unified Saxony at this point).

Demographically, structurally and institutionally wise, the difference was simply too huge; and in spite of Charlemagne's death the succession would be relativly smooth, Aquitaine and Italy being set apart, and a clear drive against Saxony that knew a repsite from Merovingian decline (after that Dagobert enforced a tribute against them), but mostly delayed frankish advance at this point.

That it may delay things long enough to structure better germanic entities (while I think they were far more divided than pictured in your TL) is a thing, but eventually...as proven by the repeted relativly unified Saxon rebellions, Franks had the numbers and the will to crush them bloodily.

Still an enjoying TL.

Not that I don't respect your opinion, I think you know I do, but I feel entitled to defend my TL :p

A divided Frankish realm is a weak Frankish realm, as evidence by the succession crisis after Louis the Pious died, and the subsequent upsurge in Viking raids and the Siege of Paris. At the point in my TL, you would have four claimants to Charlemagne's realm: Louis of Aquitaine (the sole survivor of his father OTL), Pepin the Hunchback, Pepin of Italy, and Charles the Younger. Even if the realm was divided between Aquitaine, Italy, Austrasia, and Burgundy, you've got a very divided realm that will be prone to attacks from the North and East, and there will be very little they can do, if OTL is any evidence at all.

Not that I don't respect your opinion, I think you know I do, but I feel entitled to defend my TL :p
Of course, that's understable and I respect yours (and your writing) hence why I didn't want to divert your TL with observations.

A divided Frankish realm is a weak Frankish realm, as evidence by the succession crisis after Louis the Pious died, and the subsequent upsurge in Viking raids and the Siege of Paris.
I'd nuance a lot.
The "succession crisis" began in 830, and not after Louis death, in a precise context : Vikings raids (as for the Siege of Paris, i'm a bit at loss : the first one happened after the war, in 845. Unless you count the short war against Pépin II of Aquitaine, but he was never a real threat), collapse or at least decline of the Abbassid trade in the region, end of conquests (provinding gold to the emperor, and its redistribution allowing the strengthening of vassalic links).

Parallels can be drawn, of course, but not as much than, say, WW1 and WW2 (on a similar chronological distance).

Even if the realm was divided between Aquitaine, Italy, Austrasia, and Burgundy, you've got a very divided realm that will be prone to attacks from the North and East, and there will be very little they can do, if OTL is any evidence at all.

The OI was quite different, and would have looked like this (The borders being the ones of 806, and not that certain to be the same)

Hunchback would had nothing : he could whine as much we wanted or even revolt as IOTL, but his powerbase and support was really too limited.
I'd stress that all of these kings were already sacred by the pope then, with what it implies regarding legitimacy.

It's to be noticed the young age of the new kings : the elder would have 12 years old (and everything it implies about the survival of the others). It's likely to see them under the tutelage of trusted men as Louis of Aquitaine was with William of Gellone and Pepin of Italy was with Adalard of Corbie IOTL (both of them cousins of Charlemagne, and as far as we know, quite loyal).

I don't think it would be that different, at least in a first time. The frankish nobility (at least from Charles' kingdom) would probably be quite supportive from a move against Saxons (would it be to avoid earlier raids to be resumed).
Giving the really important absence of motivation of the said frankish nobility to sucide itself to please Carolingians (as highlighted in the Field of Lies), in a less critical situation (safe the political impact, obviously).

Don't get me wrong, I could quite see a "pillow attack" dealing with some child kings, but that would eventually strengthen the survivors.

I actually went through and read your TL a bit after you plugged it. I must say it is VERY close to what i had in mind when i originally posted the thread, (well except for destroying the Christians, that was from in game experiences and such.)
However i will say that i disagree with this bit of your statement.

A divided Frankish realm is a weak Frankish realm, as evidence by the succession crisis after Louis the Pious died, and the subsequent upsurge in Viking raids and the Siege of Paris. At the point in my TL, you would have four claimants to Charlemagne's realm: Louis of Aquitaine (the sole survivor of his father OTL), Pepin the Hunchback, Pepin of Italy, and Charles the Younger. Even if the realm was divided between Aquitaine, Italy, Austrasia, and Burgundy, you've got a very divided realm that will be prone to attacks from the North and East, and there will be very little they can do, if OTL is any evidence at all.

Nothing brings people together like a common enemy. And unless the Saxons are suddenly willing to forgive the Franks for the slaughter and burning of both Eresburg and Irminsul, and the years and YEARS of religious oppression (Amongst a long list of crimes that allow for the "caste" system they had set up to be brutally put down, something hard to do amongst Germans of any pre-modern era), they will GLADLY provide this common enemy.

Now sure Louis of Aquitaine might not help against the Saxons (He IS far away after all. However i could easily see the Pope getting involved to stop the Occtiains from attacking the Franks (They are defenders of the faith after all).

However, (and this is my own opinion so you can tell me to go and stuff it) im personally confused as to why your POD wasnt the potential Frankish civil war between Charles and his brother Carloman. Afterall if Carloman hadn't "Mysteriously Fallen Ill" there probably would have been a civil war. Of course there is rampant speculation as to why he fell ill at such a convenient time, everything from just a disease to their mother playing favorites. IDK it just seems like a more plausible POD for me.

Having played several games of CK2 as various pagans when the Charlemagne expansion came out, i have been wondering, "Assuming a POD after the rise of the Christians is there a way for Christianity to fail?"

What i mean by failure is simply this, by the end of the Middle ages, have a non-Abrahamic faith be the dominant faith of Europe.

Can you get a different monotheistic faith? Sure. Can you get paganism? Nope.

If Christianity didn't conquer the Empire, a different offshoot of Judaism (maybe even the original thing) is my best guess. Followed by any one of a number of other Eastern cults (Mithras, Demeter, Isis, etc., etc.), followed by such things as Buddhism, Sol Invictus, a Jupiter as sole God cult, etc.

Old Roman or barbarian paganism, nope.

I wonder how much a cult blostered by Imperial authority wouldn't have encountered some success within Romania, at the point of being considered as a dominant cult (while probably not majoritary and hegemonic)

After all, Sol Invictus cult (while being an imperial and political cult) remained quite popular up to the end of the Empire, alone or being identified with other cults (such as Mithra), and it influenced early Christian representations, possibly other features as well.

Being widespread among imperial circles and critically in military, without Christianism, such a religion could have known some success among Barbarians.

I'm not talking about Sol Monotheism there, but rather as a dominant veneration, continuing the trend of inclusion and absorbtion of different rites into a more or less unified structure that could end looking alike some sort of henotheism.
The main difference, IMO, would be the absence of easy transmission to popular classes (mainly rural and relativly detached from urban political life).

I'm not sure if it's counts as replaced, but Sol Invictius, or another imperial cult, may have ended being relativly dominant (while not hegemonic) on this regard.

Think about this. The only reason paganism even exist as a term was because the Christians were defining it for them. To Christians, other than Judaism, every other religion is basically pagan to them.

No cults has ever managed to create such a strong coherence sense of religious identity before the rise of Christianity to such an extend.

I waited till the Charlamagne DLC before I played as an Indian character. I realised after 300 years I hadnt even looked at Europe.

The Ummayyads had taken the Abbassids, Francia, Germania, Italia, Poland, and was working on Russia. They bordered the Byzantines on The top and bottom. On top of that, the empire of Brittania had formed, under Scottish king of the Reformed Norse/Germanic religion.

The only Christians left in the works were Iconclast Byzantines or Miaphystites in west Africa. And I have no fucking clue how it happened.

Think about this. The only reason paganism even exist as a term was because the Christians were defining it for them. To Christians, other than Judaism, every other religion is basically pagan to them.

That's partly because there weren't (m)any other higher religions around aside from Judaism, at the time and place. Islam, when it came around wasn't viewed as 'pagan'. Nor was Zoroastrianism, I don't think.

It's not QUITE as simple as Monotheism vs. Polytheism, but that gets close.

Of course, we're using modern terms anachronistically. The very word 'pagan' meaning anything other than non-Christian, is a rather later development. 'Pagan' is etymologically the same word as 'paysan' in French or 'paisano' in Italian. A countryman. Then, as opposed to a city dweller, now often a 'fellow countryman'.

Hapsburg

Banned
No cults has ever managed to create such a strong coherent sense of religious identity before the rise of Christianity to such an extend.
The closest you get, as far as a cult that had a coherent identity and was strict enough about its precepts to form something like Christianity, that was open to both men and women from all social classes, was Orphism. The Orphic mystery religion was strikingly similar to Christianity, and promised many of the same sorts of things. Most especially, a paradisal afterlife through direct communion and experience with a god--a god who is the son of the highest deity and displays miraculous powers and a connection to mortality and death.
If any Hellenistic cult had a chance to take the shape and direction that Christianity did, it was Orphism. But, there are several reasons why it would not, and ultimately why it did not.

Orphism sprouted from the Bacchic mysteries of Archaic and Classical Greece, and it was first and foremost a mystery religion. That means that its methods and practices were private, secretive, and revealed only to initiates. To a degree, Christianity has similar secrecy, but it was for completely different reasons. But here's the kicker: the mentality of the Orphic mysteries, just as with most mystery religions, is that the mysteries were meant to be hidden to all but a select few. The rigours of Orphic practice and lifestyle were not for everyone. Therefore, traditional forms of religious expression are acceptable and tolerable; they can exist outside of the mysteries, because the mysteries are just for the initiated. This stands in stark contrast to the fundamental, unwavering monotheism of Christianity and Islam. A mystery religion of the Hellenistic or Near Eastern form emphatically would not become an ersatz-Christianity, because the philosophy behind it is just fundamentally different.

Would Manicheanism starting to some how grow count? It's non-Abrahamic, is organised in its structure and it is monotheistic.