Overview of Muslims in America

• By your name, I'm going to assume you're Turkish, and so I can be detailed in my explanation: By "Turkish nationalism happening more early," I am by no means directing this towards the Revolution and post-Revolutionary Turkish nationalism. Rather, I mean greater control and influence in the government of groups such as the Turanian Society, and idealogies like Pan-Turanism and Pan-Turkism taking greater hold in Istambul. And again, thanks for the compliment!

I don't know if AHP is a Turkish or not, but his name in the real world is John, IIRC.

I guess that makes sense re: four schools - although in an American context conflict between their various interpretations is likely to become more of an issue, which might be an interesting thing to explore. In an Islamic society before recently, law is very libertarian, in that it is only applied to people who appeal to it - for instance, if someone is murdered, the victim's family have to file a suit to bring the murderer to justice - the system doesn't do it automatically. So, you can choose between the schools. In the USA, you can't have several parallel legal systems, so different groups will have to struggle to have the laws written to reflect their interpretations.

With regard to the Turkish nationalist thing, I understand what you're saying, but you're still dealing with 20th c ideas, that in OTL were not really developed until deep into the century. Remember that Ataturk is only "Turkish" in retrospect - in reality he was Macedonian or maybe Albanian - ditto for most Ottoman statesmen and intellectuals. Of the first generation of Young Turks, only one was actually ethnically Turkish.

A lot of this comes from the European habit of using "Turk" and "Muslim" interchangeably.

• First of all, thank you so much for taking the time to read my post!
  • By your name, I'm going to assume you're Turkish, and so I can be detailed in my explanation: By "Turkish nationalism happening more early," I am by no means directing this towards the Revolution and post-Revolutionary Turkish nationalism. Rather, I mean greater control and influence in the government of groups such as the Turanian Society, and idealogies like Pan-Turanism and Pan-Turkism taking greater hold in Istambul. And again, thanks for the compliment!
  • My Sunni Islam is not supposed to be too divergent from the actuality of Sunni Islam. Being Sunni, I believe all that the fictitious Jihad Councils of Pierre declared not only allowable, but almost necessary for the (Sunni) Muslim faithful living in a non-Muslim land. It is simply strongly promoting unity amongst the Ummah.
  • As "I" said in my post on the Muslim American Congress; Sunni Islam in America includes all four schools, as does Sunni Islam across the world. As you said, the Hanafi won't be worried so much about bank reforms, however the Shafi'i may be inclined to do so. As bank reform in this timeline is a modern issue, it is most likely that a rise in dual-patriotism of being both Muslim and American, will revive Muslim traditions, and lead many (Sunni) Muslims to desire an optional Shari'ah-compliant banking system.
  • Please feel free to comment back on your input! Two minds are better than one! And again, thanks!

Sargon

Donor
Monthly Donor
Just been reading this. Very well researched, extremely interesting and well written too. A very refreshing timeline and certainly original. I'm definitely looking forward to more.

Welcome to the Board Avicenna! :)

Sargon

Hendryk

Banned
This is the first detailed ATL I've read so far with such a premise. Quite interesting. You're definitely making a name for yourself in our little community.

Plurality of Faith Affiliations in the United States, 2003

111.PNG

While it is an interesting TL, I wonder why exactly the United States of the late 19th century allows so many Turks and Arabs to immigrate considering laws like the Chinese Exclusion Act.

Also, I find it hard to believe that these people move to the cold West, where they would be unused to the climate and weather. I would think they would move to the Southwest, where more arid conditions prevail.

Lastly, what happens to all of the immigrants from countries such as Italy and Russia? You mentioned Canada, but conditions in the US were much more pleasant than those of Canada. In addition, what about immigrants from Eastern Europe. Where do they go? How do the immigrants get from the Middle-East to America? On Native lines or European lines?

I imagine the United States would be poorer in this timeline as the immigrants to the United States would have been poorer than in our own timeline. I also imagine there would have been massive immigration of Europeans to Africa, in lieu of America. South Africa, Algeria, and Libya might have substantial white minorities.

(I am aware that there was extensive Lebanese immigration to the United States around this era, although most Lebanese assimilated very quickly. For example, there were very many Lebanese families in the Mississippi Delta, but almost all were Christians, and anglicized their names.)

Hendryk

Banned
While it is an interesting TL, I wonder why exactly the United States of the late 19th century allows so many Turks and Arabs to immigrate considering laws like the Chinese Exclusion Act.
It sure would be nice if all that Asian immigration butterflied away anti-Chinese legislation. Then the Pacific states would have a Chinese plurality :cool:

MrP

Banned
Hm, very interesting, m'dear. I wonder how this'd influence American attitudes toward WWI if it happens ITTL and if the Ottoman Empire's on the same side as IOTL.

Hm, very interesting, m'dear. I wonder how this'd influence American attitudes toward WWI if it happens ITTL and if the Ottoman Empire's on the same side as IOTL.

The details haven't been hashed out yet, but it could be analogous to the Irish immigrants from OTL and their vociferous stance against going to war on the same side as the British Empire.

MrP

Banned
The details haven't been hashed out yet, but it could be analogous to the Irish immigrants from OTL and their vociferous stance against going to war on the same side as the British Empire.

Aye, I was thinking about the German minority in WWI, too. I was just vaguely wondering what effect the religious element would have. I think the British were a bit nervy about putting Indian Muslim soldiers into battle against the Ottomans - though they certainly sent some Indian soldiers thataway - they might've been Hindus, of course. I was just wondering whether it might see America technically not declaring war on the Ottomans, but only on Germany, A-H, Bulgaria and so on.

Lastly, what happens to all of the immigrants from countries such as Italy and Russia? You mentioned Canada, but conditions in the US were much more pleasant than those of Canada. In addition, what about immigrants from Eastern Europe. Where do they go?

Well, there is always a South American option. Argentina, Brazil, Uruguay, Paraguay, Chile, and the other countries in a smaller extent, all them would surely want more immigrants.

Chris

Banned
It sure would be nice if all that Asian immigration butterflied away anti-Chinese legislation. Then the Pacific states would have a Chinese plurality :cool:

A lot of the public would STILL have unplesent opinions.

Chris

Sargon

Donor
Monthly Donor

I agree, as a fellow Sinophile, I think that would be nice too. :)

Sargon

Glen

No set POD...We're just going to see Levantine immigrants in large numbers fleeing (earlier) Turkish nationalism in the Ottoman Empire, as well as Egyptians immigrating to the United States in lieu of the Irish, Italian, and German Catholic immigrants that came in the 19th century. These will go to Canada, which will be much more Catholic in nature, while the US is much more Protestant.

Protestantism and Catholicism are seen as completely different religions in this world, Protestantism recognizing Islam as closer to their theology than Catholicism, and (Western) Islam, being much more westernized in culture.

Interesting idea, but you really do need a set of specific divergences to explain how this comes about, before getting into your very interesting depiction of the developments into the modern era.

Still, I encourage you to keep it up!

A few thoughts for just HOW all these Muslims come to America.

First, why not have Egyptians, Iraqis, Javanese, or Muslim Indians be the builders of railroads and mine laborers in the early West? Stronger anti-Chinese sentiment or a stronger Chinese empire that's reluctant to export laborers could explain this. Even if the majority of these Muslims go home, a foothold will have been established.

In OTL, there was a huge migration of black Southerners to the cities of the North. This followed the imposition of immigration restrictions in 1924. The factors which led to this OTL restriction are obviously different in this TL, but perhaps the fear of the "Red Menace" leads to early restrictions on European immigrants. The Muslims also take the place of blacks in major cities, either because African-Americans prefer to remain in a happy shiny tolerant South, or because Northern sentiment against blacks is stronger than against foreign Muslims.

Just a couple thoughts. Please keep this up, I look forward to each update!

Hendryk

Banned
The Jihad Councils of Pierre refer to three national meetings of Sunni Muslim clerics and scholars in the 19th century in Pierre, South Dakota. (...)

The First Jihad Council of Pierre

The First Plenary Council of Pierre was solemnly opened on May 9, 1852. Sessions were attended by six senior clerics, and thirty-five scholars. Another prelate in attendance was the Hawza, or Senior Clergyman, of Toronto's Muslim community. There were various senior clerics of Sufi orders as well, in attendance. The last solemn session was held on the 20th of May.
Something I overlooked when I first read that part: why hold the meeting in what was at the time a remote frontier settlement? I'm not even sure the Sioux were gone from the region in 1852, and the only way to get there must have been a days-long journey in horse-drawn wagon. The region only became accessible by railway in the 1870s.

So while "Council of Pierre" does have a nice ring to it, it seems to me that such a gathering would have been more likely to take place in one of the Eastern states.