No War of 1812; Conquenses for Canada?

Without a War, which largely came from bad timing on the Americans and British, described as the the Canadian War of Indepenance, does Canada form a type of patriotic identity?

Canada had been forged by the American civil war and British fears
of the new American invasion more than anything else. 1812 is of minor consequence.

This is basically what happens in my TL "A 19th Century Clinton..."

Without the war of 1812 there's going to be no reform of the land purchasing process. Prior to the war, the crown was simply giving land away in Upper Canada leading to many American settlers moving north. These "Late Loyalists" were not really loyalists at all, all they had to do was basically pay lip service to the crown. Without the War of 1812 to prompt a reform of these practices you're going to see a lot more immigration to Upper Canada from America and see the initial Loyalist identity fade away. I don't see any reason why, without the War of 1812 said practice would change.

This will probably come to a head in the 1830's when in OTL both Upper and Lower Canada rebel. With a larger population of "Late Loyalists" in Upper Canada, the revolt's probably larger and more successfull there. Perhaps succeeding in driving out the British garrison and supporting the Patriotes in Lower Canada. The conflict then escalates as the Americans join the struggle kicking off an Anglo-American war over Canada.

This is basically what happens in my TL "A 19th Century Clinton..."

Without the war of 1812 there's going to be no reform of the land purchasing process. Prior to the war, the crown was simply giving land away in Upper Canada leading to many American settlers moving north. These "Late Loyalists" were not really loyalists at all, all they had to do was basically pay lip service to the crown. Without the War of 1812 to prompt a reform of these practices you're going to see a lot more immigration to Upper Canada from America and see the initial Loyalist identity fade away. I don't see any reason why, without the War of 1812 said practice would change.

This will probably come to a head in the 1830's when in OTL both Upper and Lower Canada rebel. With a larger population of "Late Loyalists" in Upper Canada, the revolt's probably larger and more successfull there. Perhaps succeeding in driving out the British garrison and supporting the Patriotes in Lower Canada. The conflict then escalates as the Americans join the struggle kicking off an Anglo-American war over Canada.

Interesting thought, although the '37 in Quebec never had a chance, really, and the '37 in Ontario was smaller your average 19th century riot. I can see Ontario seceding Texas-style, maybe, if they get help from the States (again, Texas might be a good analogy) but Quebec isn't going anywhere. The Brits hold all the cities and have all the big guns. No significant numbers of Late Loyalists ever went to Quebec. Besides, the revolutions were linked in time but not really in ideology -- Mackenzie wanted to join the states, Papineau wanted responsible government and more rights for the French. I just can't see the States getting their hands on Quebec.

...So I'll go read your TL now.

I can see Ontario seceding Texas-style, maybe, if they get help from the States (again, Texas might be a good analogy) but Quebec isn't going anywhere.
To pull Texas on Ontario you need Mexico to be in possession of Ontario, not Great Britain.

To pull Texas on Ontario you need Mexico to be in possession of Ontario, not Great Britain.

Or you need Great Britain to suffer from more revolutionary tendencies than it suffered OTL. Or have those strains it did suffer explode: hello Ernest Augustus.

Fearless has taken something of a middle path in his TL.

of the new American invasion more than anything else. 1812 is of minor consequence.
And even then, the identity was very much British until early-to-mid-20th century. Vimy Ridge did more to forge a sense of Canadian-ness

At best, 1812 gives us Canadians something to look quizzically at our American neighbours when they claim to have 'won' it (if they know of it at all); and so a small sense of superiority at their delusions... :p

Do the rebellions of 1837 even happen at all? I thought that they had a lot to do with the stagnation in political development due too the fear of republicanism in the Canadas.

And even then, the identity was very much British until early-to-mid-20th century. Vimy Ridge did more to forge a sense of Canadian-ness

At best, 1812 gives us Canadians something to look quizzically at our American neighbours when they claim to have 'won' it (if they know of it at all); and so a small sense of superiority at their delusions... :p

I agree with this statement. The First World War not only helped to establish a Canadian identity, but it also did the same for the other Dominions. Battles like Vimy Ridge and Amiens help to forge Canada as a seperate nation as much as ANZAC Cove created an identity for Australia and New Zealand.

bard32

Banned
Without a War, which largely came from bad timing on the Americans and British, described as the the Canadian War of Indepenance, does Canada form a type of patriotic identity?

I don't know. I'll have to think about this one.

bard32

Banned

You forgot the American Revolution. The first attempt to take Canada an invasion of Quebec in 1775. Benedict Arnold V, and Robert Montgomery, led the March on Quebec in late 1775. By 1776, there were Canadian soldiers serving in the Continental Army under the authority of the Continental Congress. These Canadian volunteers were the Second Canadian Regiment,
also known as Congress' Own Regiment, known as COR. It's now part of the
Pennsylvania National Guard.