Native dynasty for China 19th century

What if China had been ruled by a dynasty of native origin in the 19th century when it started to face major European encroachment? Would a native dynasty have been more effective in rallying resistance to European encroachments or in enacting reforms? In OTL, the Qing dynasty that ruled China was of Manchu descent, rather than ethnically Chinese. From the (very limited) amount of material that I have read about 19th century China, I get the impression that the Chinese government was reluctant to appeal very heavily to Chinese anti-foreign or proto-nationalist sentiment because the Manchu emperor and officials knew that the Chinese really regarded them as just as much foreign barbarians as the Europeans. Hostility to the Manchus helped provide more support for the enormously destructive Taiping rebellion, as well as numerous smaller uprisings, that weakened the entire country at a time when it needed peace and relative unity to meet outside threats.

Well, I know jack-splat about 19th century China myself, but if what you said about the Manchurians was true, then probably yes. Maybe the native dynasty can even develop modern weaponry, because crossbows? In the 19th century? From the inventors of gunpowder? Wow.

Sounds like that movie, "The Last Emperor". Great movie, I really enjoyed it. Not sure if thats what you're fishing for though.

The Chinese did have guns and stuff in the 19th century. They weren't exactly distributed evenly, and from what I understand, the army really took a beating during the 19th c., especially after the Taiping.

Umm... I don't think a native dynasty would've helped. Too much inertia from previous dynasties, not enough ideology, and plus, Chinese martial history ain't what it could be (not that the Chinese were bad fighters, but they didn't concentrate on conquest, and any wars fought were usually border skirmishes or rebellions). Surprising for one of the most populated countries.

Hendryk

Banned
What if China had been ruled by a dynasty of native origin in the 19th century when it started to face major European encroachment? Would a native dynasty have been more effective in rallying resistance to European encroachments or in enacting reforms?
It could have helped China resist foreign encroachment, but wouldn't necessarily have; other factors came in play as well. The late Ming are an example of a native ruling dynasty that reached terminal sclerosis.

OTOH, if we assume, say, that the Qing somehow get deposed in the late 18th century or early 19th century at the latest (possibly as a result of an insurgency that got out of hand), a newer, ethnically Chinese dynasty may take a more proactive approach vis-à-vis Westerners, whether to trade with them on mutually acceptable terms, import their technology, or resist their offensives.