Mr. Stewart Goes to Washington

Interesting changes. Now to see if Johnson will last out his term. If somehow Meyner dies/resigns might Johnson pick Kennedy as the new VP and this might get him into office? I look forward to seeing how Stewart does after the election and the changes in the 60's.

January 21st, 1961: Lyndon B. Johnson is inaugurated as the 35th President of the United States.

April 4th, 1961: After a meeting with C.I.A. Director Allen Dulles and Secretary of State J. William Fulbright, President Johnson cancels a planned invasion of Cuba by military forces in an attempt to capture Fidel Castro.

April 12th, 1961: Yuri Gagarin becomes the first man to ever fly in space. After hearing of this, President Johnson demands research to be done into how America would be able to send someone into space.

May 19th, 1961: President Johnson announces that he plans to nominate civil-rights Attorney Thurgood Marshall to a newly created seat on the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit. Although the nomination originally expected to face stiff opposition from Southern Democrats, the "Johnson Treatment" ensures that the nomination goes through.

June 4th, 1961: President Johnson leaves the Vienna Conference after a meeting with Soviet Premier Nikita Khrushchev. Johnson made it clear in this meeting that any action by the Soviet Union to restrict access to West Berlin would be viewed as an act of war on the U.S.

July 4th, 1961: Governor James Stewart announces that he will run for re-election in 1962. He is expected to face no opposition from the Republican Party and only token opposition from the Democratic Party. His approval rating stands firm at 60%.

One question I have is what happened to Stewarts commission? If I remember right he was a Brigadier General around 1960 having continued is military career after the war.

He was in the Air Force Reserve, actually made a TV appearance or two in uniform and flew on a B-52 mission over Vietnam...I thought he had retired as a Major General, but his final rank was Brigadier General...

You do realise that you've just erased The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance from the universe? Fortunately he had already finished working on Vertigo before the POD.
Some of Stewart's best performances were post 1958. If he becomes President in 1964 it means no The Flight of the Phoenix.

Is this a world we want to live in?

(I am enjoying the TL, its just a concern)

You do realise that you've just erased The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance from the universe? Fortunately he had already finished working on Vertigo before the POD.
Some of Stewart's best performances were post 1958. If he becomes President in 1964 it means no The Flight of the Phoenix.

There's no law saying that he needs to stop acting.

Well said :) So long as there's a presidential dog named Beau, we can salvage a few cinders from the ashes...

ETA: Did he at least get Anatomy of a Murder in the can before campaign season?

Nice update. Keeping out of the bay of Pigs fiasco will save Johnson a lot of headaches and may just stop Cuban Missile Crises.

If Stewart does keep making movies, I hope he does Mr Hobbs takes a Vacation. :)

September 19, 1961: Betty and Barney Hill disappear while driving in New Hampshire. Neither are ever seen again.

April 3, 1962:
President Lyndon Johnson announces that he will nominate Frank M. Johnson of the U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Alabama to be the next Supreme Court Associate Justice following the resignation of Justice Charles Whittaker. The nomination is met with swift condemnation from leaders all across the South, including Alabama Gubernatorial candidate George C. Wallace, who calls Johnson: "A disgrace of a judge and someone who will take rights away from people everywhere. Other leaders against Johnson's appointment include Senators Richard Russell and Strom Thurmond. Following the announcement, former Major General Edwin Walker polls ahead for the Democratic nomination for Governor of Texas.

April 15, 1962: Following the uproar surrounding the nomination of Frank M. Johnson, President Johnson announces that he will withdraw the nomination. Instead he announces that he will nominate Solicitor General Abe Fortas.

June, 1962: Former Major General Edwin Walker wins the Democratic nomination for Governor of Texas.

June-November, 1962: California Governor James Stewart emerges as the most popular surrogate speaker for the Republican party going into the 1962 midterm elections. He preaches common-sense conservatism while staying away from the issue of race, the issue that had divided much of America over the past few months.

September 20, 1962: Two gunshots are fired as civil rights activist James Meredith attempts to enter the segregated University of Mississippi. One bullet hit a bystander while the other bullet strikes Meredith in the head. He dies before an ambulance is able to arrive.

September 20, 1962: Civil rights riots break out all throughout Mississippi in protest of the death of James Meredith. Governor Ross Barnett announces that he is placing the state under a state of martial law due to the "violent and unnecessary protesting across the streets of Mississippi. I will not allow events like these to ruin my beautiful state."

September 25, 1962: After five days of rioting, President Lyndon Johnson urges for calm. Segregationist forces all throughout the country use the speech as evidence of what side President Johnson supports in the battle for civil rights.

October 2, 1962: After 200 individuals are killed and over 1,000 are arrested, Mississippi Governor Ross Barnett announces that the state of Mississippi is no longer under a state of martial law. This does little to quell the civil rights protests that are erupting all across the country.

October 14, 1962: U-2 Spy planes fly over the nation of Cuba. They see nothing of any importance.

November 6, 1962: While the Democrats keep their majorities in both the U.S. House and Senate, the Republicans see significant gains due in part to Governor Stewart's cross-country tour and the racial tensions in the U.S. Former Major General Edwin Walker wins election as the Governor of Texas. He promises to make sure that there will be no racial tension in Texas, promising to use force to achieve his goal if necessary. George Wallace also wins election as Governor of Alabama. Due to his pro-civil rights stance, Illinois Senator Everett Dirksen is defeated in his bid for re-election. Governor James Stewart also wins re-election with 65% of the vote.

Betty and Barney who? Don't recognize those names. Stewart has to speak out about race at some point. Walker, ugh, read about him, nutcase.

I suspect Lee Harvey Oswald will shoot Walker. He tried to kill him a few months before the JFK assassination, and Kennedy won't be visiting Dallas.

I suspect Lee Harvey Oswald will shoot Walker. He tried to kill him a few months before the JFK assassination, and Kennedy won't be visiting Dallas.
At least in TTL Oswald would`ve just killed a nutcase Governor instead of a popular President like in OTL. Nothing of value would be lost.

February 1, 1963: A group of armed segregationists send a bomb in the mail to the office of U.S. District Court Judge Frank M. Johnson. They call themselves "The Minutemen" and vow to fight for racial purity and the domination of the white race. Johnson is unharmed in the attempt, although his secretary suffers serious third-degree burns from the bomb.

February-May, 1963: "Minutemen" groups star popping up all around the country, especially in the south. They claim that President Johnson has been a traitor to the white race and announce that they will stop at nothing to achieve their cause.

May, 1963: The city of Birmingham, Alabama erupts in violence as a series of civil rights riots tear through the town. Civil rights activists clash with local police and "Minutemen". Bill Hudson's photographs of the carnage help to change the public's perception of the civil rights movement in the north. As a result of this change of heart, President Lyndon Johnson works with Dr. Martin Luther King and other civil rights leaders to write the Civil Rights Act of 1963. This bill would stop state governments and private industries from discriminating against African-Americans.

May 20, 1963: After the Civil Rights Act of 1963 is introduced, Senator Richard Russell Jr. announces that the Southern Democrats will never allow the bill to become law.

May 25, 1963: Secretary of State J. William Fulbright announces that he will leave the Johnson administration due to their differing views on civil rights.

May 30, 1963: President Johnson announces that he will nominate U.N. Ambassador John F. Kennedy to the position.

June-August, 1963: Southern Democrats commence a marathon filibuster session to stop the Civil Rights Act of 1963 from passing. Strom Thurmond tops his own record by delivering the longest single-person filibuster in American History.

July 3, 1963: While delivering a speech as part of the Senate filibuster, Georgia Senator Richard Russell collapses. It is revealed that he suffered a massive heart attack, dying almost immediately.

July 10, 1963: Georgia Governor Carl Sanders announces that he will nominate unknown Georgia State Senator James Earl Carter Jr. to replace Senator Richard Russell Jr.

July 20, 1963: The Civil Rights Act of 1963 fails to make it out of the U.S. Senate. Segregationists across the country cheer. "Minutemen" are seen parading all throughout the country.

August 1, 1963: Frustrated over the defeat of the Civil Rights Act of 1963, President Lyndon Johnson signs Executive Order 1100 which states that states cannot deny polling station access to African-Americans. It also allows the President to use federal forces to supervise the polling stations if a state refuses to comply. Segregationists across the country cry foul, stating that the action is clearly trying to only weaken the power of white voters.

August 2, 1963: Legal actions against Executive Order 1100 are filed all across the country. Courts that refuse to hear the case are bombarded with calls and armed protests by "Minutemen". As a result of the protests, "Freedom Fighter" groups sprout up all across the country in order to provide support for the African-Americans. A young man by the name Lee Harvey Oswald is seen emerging as a leader in the Dallas Freedom Fighter organization.

August-November, 1963: As federal courts across the country continue to hear arguments against Executive Order 1100, "Johnson=Traitor" pamphlets are passed out all throughout the south.

November 10, 1963: In an effort to regain support in the south before his re-election campaign, President Lyndon Johnson announces that he will visit Dallas, Texas on November 22nd.

November 15, 1963: Known white-supremacist James Walker is seen walking out of a Dallas target-range. He is seen carrying a newspaper with President Johnson's photo of it on the front cover.

November 22, 1963: President Lyndon B. Johnson and Vice-President Robert Meyner travel through Dallas, Texas. Despite warning from Secret Service agents, President Johnson announces that he will not have a bubble-top on his limousine.

November 22, 1963. 12:30 pm: Gunshots ring out all throughout Dealey Plaza. President Johnson is seen diving down into his seat, although some witnesses will later recall seeing blood coming from his head. Vice-President Meyner is seen falling forward with blood cascading down onto the seat in front of him.

November 22, 1963. 12:40 pm: The limousines carrying President Johnson and Vice-President Meyner arrive at Parkland Memorial Hospital.

November 22, 1963. 2:00 pm: All TV networks interrupt their broadcasts to go to a live news conference in Dallas. The doctors at Parkland Memorial Hospital announce that both President Lyndon Johnson and Vice-President Robert Meyner have died from their gunshot wounds. This will often be described as one of the most iconic moments in American television.

November 22, 1963. 3:00 pm: U.S. Speaker of the House John W. McCormack is inaugurated as the 36th President of the United States in an undisclosed location. He becomes the first Catholic President ever.

November 22, 1963. 4:00 pm: The caskets carrying former President Lyndon Johnson and former Vice-President Robert Meyner are loaded into Air Force One.

November 22, 1963. 4:30 pm: White supremacist James Walker is caught trying to escape through a local Dallas bookstore.

November 22, 1963. 5:30 pm: James Walker is charged with the assassinations of President Lyndon B. Johnson and Vice-President Robert B. Meyner.

November 23, 1963: President John W. McCormack addresses the nation from the White House. He is remembered for stating: "I will do my best. that is all I can do. I ask for your help, and God's." and "I will not seek, and will not accept, the nomination of my party for President."

November 24, 1963: While being transferred to another prison, suspected assassin James Walker is shot at close range by "Freedom Fighter" leader Lee Harvey Oswald. Walker dies while being transferred to Parkland Memorial Hospital.

November 25, 1963: Lee Harvey Oswald is charged with the murder of James Walker. He is eligible for the death penalty.

Last edited:
James Walker? Nice twist with Jimmy Carter being appointed a senator. CI'm sure this will start a backlash against segragation.