Miscellaneous <1900 (Alternate) History Thread

If John, Count of Nevers had a son in 1486 and Margaret of Austria inherited Burgundy from her brother Philip in 1496-ish, would she consider and possibly marry John’s son or would his youth make him an unviable candidate for her hand? He would be her heir presumptive so it might help his chances.

Considering Lutheranism was built around the idea that the Pope was illegitimate I think it’s unlikely. Though it’s possible different Protestant denomination might establish a counterpart to the Pope.
My understanding is that Luther turned against the papacy after Exsurge domine; I guess I'm wondering whether an alternative development would be Luther rejecting this pope. I think there was a conciliar aspect to Lutheran thought, so perhaps a Lutheran rival to Trent needs to be convened that then deposes the pope and elects one to replace him.

Was the cow sacred in India prior to the Indo Aryan migrations?
Was the veneration of saints an important part of pre Council of Trent Catholicism?

Last edited:
If Juana of Castile wasn’t available for Philip of Austria, who would he marry instead? Is Maria of Aragon a possibility?

If Juana of Castile wasn’t available for Philip of Austria, who would he marry instead? Is Maria of Aragon a possibility?
I am always fond of one of the Tudor girls as Phillip's second wife, but yes, I think Maria is perfectly possible. She's only four years younger, after all.

Anne of Brittany might be another interesting choice, if she and Philip are betrothed before the Mad War.

Sure, she didn't seem to have many options (James IV was not really considered, Vladislaus II was a stretch, Savoy was not prestigious enough). A surviving Elizabeth Tudor (b. 1492) could also work for Philip.

I am always fond of one of the Tudor girls as Phillip's second wife, but yes, I think Maria is perfectly possible. She's only four years younger, after all.

Anne of Brittany might be another interesting choice, if she and Philip are betrothed before the Mad War.
Maria could work for Philip. That marriage is less likely to become a disaster then Philip and Juana.

I'd make Juana Maximilian's third wife (because I HATE Bianca Maria) with Maria marrying Philip.
I don't see Ferdinand and Isabella giving their daughter to be a third wife to a man who already has heirs. A better option would be for Isabella of Aragon to die before Juana's departure and thus she weds Manuel instead. If Juan dies as otl there will be a personal union with Portugal instead. And given Juana's track record her son with Manuel will inherit the throne after her and I can't see Manuel being such a enormous dick wad to her like Philip was otl. So her mental health is likely better in this scenario. Maria can wed Philip in 1498 instead.

Did the C Church’s relationship with saints alter during/after the Protestant reformation?
In terms of what it believed no.

If you mean in terms of popularity, it depended on the area. Various Saints were held up as models against Protestantism, but whether or not it was effective in particular given areas is a lot more complicated question.

Not all early Protestants had an issue with the Saints either, so it was less of a point of contention than it is now.