Map Thread XXII

Bantustans, Republic of South Africa [Greater South Africa], Library of Congress (1983)​

bantustans-republic-of-south-africa-greater-south-africa-v0-c83e6eayrfbc1.png

"The Republic of South Africa was formed out of the Union of South Africa, a British Dominion which was the result of the unification of the Cape Colony, Transvaal Colony, the Colony of Natal and Orange River Colony, in 1910, Rhodesia (then known as Southern Rhodesia) joining in 1922 after their white citizens voted for it, and South-West Africa when it was finally annexed as a territory in 1966. Since 1948, a legal system of separation, Apartheid, was applied in the country, ensuring the political, economic and social dominance of the white population (being around the 19% of the total population) over the majority black population. Following this system, from the 1950s onwards, the South African government created territories or Homelands for the black peoples of the country, known as Bantustans, in order to keep black people marginalized and separated from the State institutions. On this map, the different Homelands are shown as they were organized in 1983" - History of Southern Africa, Volume 4.
Interesting, why Protectorate ob Bechuanalend (future Botswana) was not annexed?

Bantustans, Republic of South Africa [Greater South Africa], Library of Congress (1983)​

bantustans-republic-of-south-africa-greater-south-africa-v0-c83e6eayrfbc1.png

"The Republic of South Africa was formed out of the Union of South Africa, a British Dominion which was the result of the unification of the Cape Colony, Transvaal Colony, the Colony of Natal and Orange River Colony, in 1910, Rhodesia (then known as Southern Rhodesia) joining in 1922 after their white citizens voted for it, and South-West Africa when it was finally annexed as a territory in 1966. Since 1948, a legal system of separation, Apartheid, was applied in the country, ensuring the political, economic and social dominance of the white population (being around the 19% of the total population) over the majority black population. Following this system, from the 1950s onwards, the South African government created territories or Homelands for the black peoples of the country, known as Bantustans, in order to keep black people marginalized and separated from the State institutions. On this map, the different Homelands are shown as they were organized in 1983" - History of Southern Africa, Volume 4.
i was so focused on zimbabwe being part of south africa i didn't even notice lesotho and eswatini ceased to exist. it really does just get worse!

I had someone else suggest the name to me. I was originally going to go with "the Submissives," but for... Certain reasons, that might be a bit insensitive to call a real world religion. Instead I'm going to pocket that name for some weird American Puritanical Christian group
Oh then in that case I'm definetly stealing it lol

Interesting, why Protectorate ob Bechuanalend (future Botswana) was not annexed?
Well, the main POD is the 1922 Southern Rhodesia Referendum, on which the voters decided wether to join SA or get self-government as a colony. ITTL, they chose South Africa.
Then, Lesotho and Eswatini were almost annexed IRL, but due to some resistance and other priorities they we’re left separate from SA; in this case, the Cape and Natal governments managed to annex them.
Bechuanaland wasn’t a priority at the time, IOTL it was pretty much autonomous even from Britain, and so I didn’t include it.

just like me fr fr. Yeah, that's the only reason I know that. It has a reputation for being one of those countries nobody should play as because it's very hard to do and not fun.
I always felt an affinity for the name because it's a clear cognates to a language I do know. Bijelo Jezero in Croatian > Beloozero in Russian

I was born here and now live here as my primary city of residence, however I wasn't raised here I grew up in Juneaun Alaska. Also I only peripherally know about Paradox games 0:
Oh cool, so close to the Arctic circle all the time! Kinda cool. You're not missing much with Paradox games, though they do help kinda teach (poor) history.

Oh cool, so close to the Arctic circle all the time! Kinda cool. You're not missing much with Paradox games, though they do help kinda teach (poor) history.
I travel on a regular basis within the Russian Federation and places like the -stans and occasionally Manchuria due to my job but yeah my primary residence and my real estate is centered in Vladivostok.

Sennn.png

Here is a Map Key because I have this on Imgur and it barely loads sometime. Also this a 'new' map, that I've used on Sufficient Velocity, but never on AH.com. The format goes clan, then the province, province names that are in Bold are contested. I'm sorry about all of the colors, but there were a lot of clans to take into account since I usually just kept colored fully controlled provinces for lack of drawling skill with previous versions of this. The Northeast got especially bad and I had to use Nobunaga's Ambition as frame of reference because you will not find a better map otherwise, or at least one in English which makes this map rightfully look like dog droppings. Aside from the Ouchi Clan in black the map is pretty much OTL 1560.

Provinces of Kyushu (Western Island)

Otomo Clan (Khaki): Bungo, Buzen, Chikugo, Chikuzen, Hyuga, Higo
Shimazu Clan (Light Green): Satsuma, Osumi
Ryuzoji Clan (Royal Blue): Hizen, Chikuzen
So Clan (Dark Grey): Tsushima
Aso Clan (Forest Green): Higo
Sagara Clan (Chestnut): Higo
Ito Clan (Doger Blue): Hyuga
Kimtosuki Clan (Yellow-Green): Osumi
Arima Clan (Gray): Hizen
Matsura Clan (Dark Cyan): Hizen

Provinces of Shikoku (Southern Island)

Motoyama Clan (Dark Magenta): Iyo, Tosa
Chosokabe Clan (Tan): Tosa
Kono Clan (Slate Gray): Iyo
Saionji Clan (Light Gray): Iyo
Ichijo Clan (Deep Sky Blue): Tosa
Iyo-Ustunomiya Clan (Tomato): Iyo [ Iyo Branch of the Ustunomiya]
Aki Clan (Deep Pink): Tosa

Provinces of Honshu (Central Island)
Divided by Region with Colored Borders

Provinces of Chugoku (Borders in Red)

Ouchi Clan (Black): Suo, Nagato, Aki, Iwami, Bingo, Chikuzen [They are the biggest change from OTL, technically the Mori should be in their place among other changes.]
Amago Clan (Dark Blue): Izumo, Iwami, Bingo, Hoki, Oki
Yamana Clan (Brown): Inaba, Tajima, Mimasaka, Hoki, Harima
Uragami Clan (Pale Turquoise): Bizen, Mimasaka
Mimura Clan (Light Salmon): Bitchu
Miura Clan (Pale Sea Green): Bitchu

Provinces of Kansai (Borders in Blue)

Bessho Clan (Lawn Green): Harima
Akamatsu Clan (Coral): Harima
Isshiki Clan (Light Green): Tango
Hatano Clan (Brown-Red): Tamba
Wakasa Takeda Clan (White): [Wakasa Branch of the Takeda]
Ashikaga Clan (Purple): Yamashiro [Current Shoguns of Japan, and]
Miyoshi Clan (Dark Green): Settsu, Awa (island), Awaji, Sanuki, Izumi, Kawachi, Yamato
Rokkaku Clan (Dark Brown): Omi, Iga, Ise [Technically Iga is controlled by the Iga Ikki a league of twelve families]
Ikko Ikki (Fuscha): Settsu, Kaga, Ise [Not a clan, but a religious movement/political following Pure Land Buddhism]
Kuki Clan (Dark Orange): Shima
Azai Clan (Dark Violet): Omi
Tsutsui Clan (Navajo White): Yamato
Kitabatake Clan (Light Yellow): Ise
Suzuki Clan (Cadet Blue): Kii
Kii-Hakateyama (Chocolate): Kii [Branch of the Hakateyama]

Chubu Based Clans (Borders in Black)

Saito Clan (Pink): Mino
Asakura Clan (Light Blue): Echizen
Kai-Takeda Clan (Red): Kai, Shinano, Kozuke, Sagami
Imagawa Clan (Cyan): Suruga, Tomtomi, Mikawa
Uesugi Clan(Dark Slate Blue): Echigo, Etchu, Shinano, Musashi,
Oda Clan (Yellow): Owari
Anegakoji Clan (Olive): Hida
Jinbo Clan (Goldenrode): Etchu
Noto-Hatakeyama Clan (Dark Khaki): Noto [Branch of the Hakateyama]
Honma Clan (Turqoise): Sado

Kanto Based Clans (Borders in Yellow)

Hojo Clan (Blue): Sagami, Izu, Musashi, Kazusa, Shimosa, Hitachi
Satake Clan (Orange-Red): Kazusa, Awa
Yuki Clan (Maroon): Shimtosuke, Kozuke
Sano Clan (Dark Slate Gray): Shimtosuke
Ustunomiya Clan (Pale Violet Red): Shimtosuke
Satomi Clan (Peru): Hitachi
Shirakawa-Yuki Clan (Peachpuff): Shimtosuke, Hiatchi [Branch of the Yuki]
Nagano Clan (Dark Orchid): Kozuke
Oda Clan (Light Pink): Hitachi, Shimosa [Not related to the Oda of Owari]

Tohoku Based Clans and Hokkaido (Borders in Green)

Dewa Based Clans: Asari Clan (Dark Salmon), Anto Clan (Burlywood), Onodera Clan (Aqua), Tozawa Clan (Rosey Brown), Daihoji Clan (Light Sea Green), Mogami Clan (Navajo White)

Mutsu Based Clans: Namioka Clan (Yellow-Green), Nanbu Clan (Dark Red), Date Clan (Thistle), Shiba Clan (Orchid), Kasai Clan (Hot Pink),
Heinuki Clan (Cornflower Blue), Osaki Clan (Plum), Soma Clan (Spring Green), Tamura Clan (Light Sky Blue), Nihonmatsu Clan (Firebrick), Nikaido Clan (Silver), Iwaki Clan (Lemon Chifron), Ashina Clan (Gold)

Kakizaki Clan (Dark Slate Grey) [They are on Ezo/Hokkaido which technically is not a province]

I think it's fair to call it "political" rather than "historical" (at least as a distinction made for the purposes of moderating an online forum) when what you're doing is depicting current notions of race. Those are obviously a product of history but the thing you're describing is (mostly) in the present, not the past.
I think it was also the framing that was deemed political more than the substance.

2ACWFIN.png

Been a while since I've done full scale maps, so this is my take one some Second Civil War stuff. Mostly because that new A24 show "Civil War" which had weird choices in alliances considering how things are now. There's some lore, but I'll post that elsewhere since it contains current figures, but the map is pretty vague that I think I can post it.

2ACWFIN.png

Been a while since I've done full scale maps, so this is my take one some Second Civil War stuff. Mostly because that new A24 show "Civil War" which had weird choices in alliances considering how things are now. There's some lore, but I'll post that elsewhere since it contains current figures, but the map is pretty vague that I think I can post it.
I like this. What are the status of the neutral states - are theuy de facto independent? Why is Texas independent and not part of thre Alliamnce?
PS/BTW I should warn you this is likely to be flagged as 'current politics', I know 2020 was four years ago, but still!