Map Thread XIII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not enough stars in the flag and a disgusting Iran-screw. :mad:
The European flag doesn't change star with every new member. ;)

Optimistic, no?

Also *cough*crimea*cough*
Eh, where would we be without a bit of optimism.

What happened to Kaliningrad?

In 2039 the Eastern European Crisis nearly went nuclear after unrests in parts of Russia and Ukraine. After some complicated back and forth Kaliningrad Oblast became a part of the EU (changing name to Elysion) in exchange the Russian annexation of Crimea, Belarus and parts of Ukraine was accepted.

PS this was mostly an artistic exercise without a detailed backstory.

The European Union in 2058

As good a time as any to post my map thereof. Interestingly, it’s of the same year.

180px-White_square.png

click for bigger resolution

The European Union in 2058

Very nice! I do question the expansion into the Mideast, though - even Turkey and the Transcaucasian countries are pushing it as far as the concept of "Europe" goes, and I don't think anyone would consider Kurdistan or the Levant European.

I notice Macedonia is just labeled as Macedonia, and not as the former Yugoslav Republic thereof - have they finally sorted out their naming dispute with Greece?

Very nice! I do question the expansion into the Mideast, though - even Turkey and the Transcaucasian countries are pushing it as far as the concept of "Europe" goes, and I don't think anyone would consider Kurdistan or the Levant European.

I notice Macedonia is just labeled as Macedonia, and not as the former Yugoslav Republic thereof - have they finally sorted out their naming dispute with Greece?

>even Turkey and the Transcaucasian countries are pushing it as far as the concept of "Europe" goes, and I don't think anyone would consider Kurdistan or the Levant European.
The EU as a whole being presumed as likely-to-continue-existing - you can really make a fairly strong case for all sorts of EU expansions. Morocco? Tunisia? Belarus? All rather up in the air. Guess we'll have to see how the century goes on that point.

(It occurs to me; in at least one prospective future someone is determinedly arguing for a definition of the European continent that includes slices of the moon and several orbital habitats that also Definitely Does Not Include Turkey)

You mean because Azerbaijan is made up mostly of Azeribajani Iranians, who had the name centuries before the others did?
Aren't Azerbaijan Azeri people and Iranian Azeri people both the same ethnic group? Just split across countries like the Kurds?:confused:

Not sure why everyone is being a dick about the map. I think it looks excellent and dig the borders. :cool:

Oh, it’s a gorgeous map; it’s just unrealistic.

...arguing for a definition of the European continent... ...Definitely Does Not Include Turkey)

That’s an interesting thought. If a country–by way of war or secession–loses its foothold in Europe, would it be rendered ineligible for the EU? Turn it around, too. If a country gains new land on the European continent, would it get EU membership potential?

How in the hell is a Japan that's been ISOTed from January of 1945 to 1935 end up with that?

The American raids against japan didn't start till spring '45, so at the time of the ISOT the Japanese mainland is untouched by direct warfare. Though the economy is in shambles - this is because of the blockade, which will stop right when the isot happens. Then they have knowledge of the future + industry/tech, a huge advantage.

Then they just have to be very generous with their information to the Germans...

The American raids against japan didn't start till spring '45, so at the time of the ISOT the Japanese mainland is untouched by direct warfare. Though the economy is in shambles - this is because of the blockade, which will stop right when the isot happens. Then they have knowledge of the future + industry/tech, a huge advantage.

Then they just have to be very generous with their information to the Germans...

Yeah Japan even then doesn't have an industry advantage period. Also you don't think Stalin's spies are going to discover what happened to Russia during the war? You don't think anything about what happened during the war isn't going to leak out? Hell don't forget Japan IS STILL AT WAR WITH THE US! They could Pearl Harbor themselves all over again by attacking the US before they discover what happened AND this time they don't have a fleet capable of defending them anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.