Map Thread XIII

Status
Not open for further replies.
The real question here is why in the fuck does Cape Verde even need a color?
Portuguese West Africa successor state made of CV, Guinea-Bissau, and Sao Tome & Principe? Maybe throw Cabinda in there to be fancy.

Personally I like to give those to Brazil.

TACOS has its uses (I enjoy some of the colours for North American states, like the Amerindian colours or the New England colour).

I use it as a palette when I want "hmm... I guess a blueish color? Maybe red" and its protectorate/territory colors without having to make them myself.

Blank Tribal Map of Africa

As per the Tribal Map of Africa by George Peter Murdock, Africa: Its People and Their Culture, 1959, using this map as the template: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:BlankMap-World.png#/media/File:BlankMap-World.png

Some regions, especially Nigeria-Cameroon-Southern Chad, might be a little less accurate than the rest due to sheer number and small size of the tribes therein.

GK4kYPe.png

Last edited:
It really doesn't; It's 'other North African State/other Afro-Arabs (Cape Verde)'

And besides, if you don't like the TACOS, don't use it.

I have nothing against other color schemes, just giving colors to places that don't need them, I mean ok, if you can write a TL with Cape Verde as the center of some great Atlantic Empire that had it's roots there, then ok, but not for the OTL or similar ATL country.

I have nothing against other color schemes, just giving colors to places that don't need them, I mean ok, if you can write a TL with Cape Verde as the center of some great Atlantic Empire that had it's roots there, then ok, but not for the OTL or similar ATL country.

The big problem I have with TACOS is that when you have that many colors it's impossible not to have them start looking too similar, and then I have to check the exact RGB numbers of any given pixel just to understand what's going on. Hell, at first I almost thought that Mozambique had united with the Republic of the Congo!

And all that superimposed over a religion and language map of Africa and you can see why Africa is the way it is today.

I think it's a tad debatable- the Somali peoples have been broken down to their clan groupings, but that breakdown doesn't appear to correspond to any other map I've found.

Because you don't see that many Taiwanwanks.

ROC plays a much larger role in Japan's defeat, CCP still wins civil war, US navy assists a great deal in holding Hainan, UK gives aid and supports establishment of ROC base in Shenzhen, Hong Kong eventually gets handed over to Taipei instead of Beijing.

Taiwan also has nukes, both American and indigenous.

An update to this wank.

- China plays a much larger role in Japan's defeat, managing to negotiate the administration of Okinawa

- CCP still wins the civil war, although the US decides to come in at the last second to help the KMT

- US Navy assists a great deal in holding Hainan and other islands

- Nationalist units converge to a pocket near Hong Kong, and a ceasefire line is eventually drawn between Dongguan and Shenzhen

- US/UK gives aid and supports establishment of a massive ROC base in Shenzhen

- Hong Kong eventually gets handed over to Taipei instead of Beijing

- Portugal still administrates Macau

The ROC by 2015 has both an indigenous missile defense system, American-supplied nuclear deterrents and a reasonably sophisticated satellite program.

It's pretty much an anti-mainland wet dream.

4ZQxVWP.png

Random clarification on Macau:

- The Portuguese and local Macanese actually wanted Macau to be handed over to Taipei, but they refused on fears that the ROC would not be able to provide ample security to Macau given its size and vulnerable location (Hong Kong, for example, has a whole DMZ and several fortified positions between it and the Mainland). As such, the Portuguese government still administers Macau while not classifying it as an official colony - a special administrative region not too dissimilar to the one in our world. It's free to enter for both Mainland and Republican Chinese visitors, and its unique situation actually allows it to have an economic advantage in being able to closely interact with both Chinas.

Last edited:
What's the reason behind the partition? Basque-speaking Basque Country vs. Spanish-speaking Basque Country? Far left Basque Country vs. the rest of the Basque Country? :confused:

Granted independence after prolonged revolution, divided in similar fashion as Bosnia after Yugoslav wars. Divided by Basque population density and relatively on Basque front lines. Exclaves are Vasconian owned due to non-Basque presence but a strive for an Autonomous state post-revolution.

The map I did use *is* from 1959, http://www.globalhumandynamics.com/africahr.jpg. The Somalis are broken up into the Bararetta, Hawiya, Ishaak, Esa, Hi, Geri, Ittu?, Arusi,? Ogaden, Sab, Mijertein, Eajun?, Digil, Hawadle, and Boni.

Right, it's complete and utter bollocks in that case. The Ogadeni are a subclan of the Darod (albeit a large one), of which there are several omitted that I know for a fact have been around for centuries (the Warsangeli and Marehan in particular), while the Hariya, Issaq etc. haven't been split up despite having just as many sub clans.

Not to mention that, talking with Reagent and looking elsewhere, the Xhosa are too restricted, the Ovimbundu have been split, there's apparently one group in Angola that crosses several ethnic boundaries and whereas the Zulu are shown in their post Mfecane extent, the Transvaal area is in the pre-Mfecane state.

Status
Not open for further replies.