Map Thread IV

Status
Not open for further replies.
And now for something different then I ususaly make... A 1914 map shows a Russian victory in the Crimean War. As you can see, WWI will not start, or atleast not for the usual reason, though if you like it, I'm sure I can find something intresting to happen so I can make more.

Steampunk Númenor

Untitled-8.jpg

Inner Solar System, 2059.
InnerSolarSystem-en2101.PNG
Carthographic Union officials are discussing the adoption of a new, more easily seen, colour for the Belt Zones.

InnerSolarSystem-en2101.PNG

The year is ca 1067 (not sure though)
The Romans are pushing forward. Beware... :rolleyes:
Due to the plague of the 6th century never happening, they got stronger and blah blah.
Sweden pushed east for some reason that Is too long to write here now :p
DenmarkNorway (Unified) Continues to strengthen their armies.

Light Grey - Kingdom(s) of Denmark and Norway
Blue: Kingdom Of Sweden. (Highly friendly with the Kingdom(s) of Denmark and Norway which could lead to a kind of united Scandinavia later on)
Light Green - Principality of Kiev > Yes, I do know where Kiev is on the map... It's inside the area of Dacia (black). To put it simple; They had a war... lulz
Black - Union Of Dacia
Red - Roman Empire
Dark Red - Areas occupied by Rome.
Purple - Frankish Kingdom.

Now... my question is; How likely is it that Dacia allies themselves with Greater Germania?
Greater Germania is built by strong warriors that place Honor very high, but they ARE on the losing front so far.

Anyone happen to know the "political" lines of Dacia in the middle 10th century? lulz:rolleyes:

Because my "plan" for the story or whatever, was to let Dacia be a key element when striking back at the Roman Empire, but I'm not sure if that will/can work.

roman empire rises again 4.png

Last edited:
The Romans are pushing forward. Beware... :rolleyes:
Due to the plague of the 6th century never happening, they got stronger and blah blah.
Sweden pushed east for some reason that Is too long to write here now :p
DenmarkNorway (Unified) Continues to strengthen their armies.

Light Grey - Kingdom(s) of Denmark and Norway
Blue: Kingdom Of Sweden. (Highly friendly with the Kingdom(s) of Denmark and Norway which could lead to a kind of united Scandinavia later on)
Light Green - Principality of Kiev > Yes, I do know where Kiev is on the map... It's inside the area of Dacia (black). To put it simple; They had a war... lulz
Black - Union Of Dacia
Red - Roman Empire
Dark Red - Areas occupied by Rome.
Purple - Frankish Kingdom.

Now... my question is; How likely is it that Dacia allies themselves with Greater Germania?
Greater Germania is built by strong warriors that place Honor very high, but they ARE on the losing front so far.

Anyone happen to know the "political" lines of Dacia in the middle 10th century? lulz:rolleyes:

Because my "plan" for the story or whatever, was to let Dacia be a key element when striking back at the Roman Empire, but I'm not sure if that will/can work.

Why Dacia and not Romania?

Why Dacia and not Romania?

Because Romania got annexed by the romans, giving room for the dacians to expand.
Dacia was more friendly with the romans, they had been that for a loooong time and the romans considered that it was better to allow them to stand as an individual nation.

I COULD change it to a mix of Dacia-Romania, though I'd have to throw around some borders at the map then :p
As it stands now, Dacia has united with several other, smaller areas, making it the Dacian "Union"

Cool map, but for the colonial empires.
Given the third source/inspiration for the background, colonial... well, strictly speaking, they're not empires as such, they're succesful, *ahem* 'free unions of nations, formerely colonised by a specific state', but, anyway, it'd be rather strange without them. Belgium and the Netherlands could have worked, still, but France and Britain needs their federation/unions for... future things.
Note the filename: 'Stresse' and 'sen' is easy to see where they come from, but back, ah, that's something else...
Of course, when I actually made the follow-up, I managed to forget China and Japan:rolleyes:.

This is especially funny given something I have in mind.

Aww, shucks.
Combining those two TLs of yours;)?
Well, hadn't you already mused on that, and mentioned your worries that it would be too peaceful a world to not be boring, at least, if you already have read both of them?
Or did you intend to combine one of those TLs with Tesla doing better:D?

With all the maps floating around with a Roman Empire on 'em, I had myself a little idea. What if a reduced Roman Empire is around, say, 1914, in a world otherwise very suspiciously like, but distinct from, OTL?

Without futher ado, I present the map that resulted from my odd ponderings.

PNG files are suspiciously small.

map14v2.PNG

Based loosely on a Poul Anderson “Time Patrol” scenario - in this TL, the Hohenstaufen line of German emperors was much more successful than OTL. At it’s peak, the Holy Roman Empire ruled over Europe from the Pyrenees to the Ukraine, carried out a 15th and 16th century “Reconquista” against the Muslims in North Africa and the Holy Land, pushed aside the Iberians in grabbing the better bits of the “New World”, and stomped the English something fierce when they disrespected the commands of the emperor’s pet Pope.

But all things come to an end, and the Empire fell apart rather messily in the 18th century. Now, some two and a half centuries after the burning of the Imperial capital, and various failed efforts at reunification, bets are being laid on two new major competitors in the reunification sweepstakes, arising in what OTL would have been Southern France and Poland (mostly German speaking in this TL). The other major heir to imperial glory, the renewed Byzantine polity, is presently too busy preventing the Holy Land from being overrun by Egypt’s wacky Sudanese dynasty to play.

Opposed are the southern English, the Danish/old Saxon dynasty, and the Popes, who have regained their autonomy since the collapse of the empire, and are in no mood to be once again subordinated to a new universal empire. The Iberians and the various shaky and mostly mixed-race kingdoms and principalities of the mostly German-speaking Americas aren’t entirely keen on the idea, either, but the regeneration of Islam is worrying a lot of people, and the French emperor-to-be is sending troops to support the shaky Christian statelets of North Africa to bolster his crusader image.

Islam is indeed expanding: in North Africa, where Egypt and Libya have once again fallen to Islam over the course of the 19th and 20th centuries: in West Africa, where Arab refugees from the 15th century onward have played a major role in the building of stronger, more efficiently governed states: in the Americas, where the Hanifid sultanate has expanded mightily south at the expense of the thin Germanic population of what in our world would be Argentina and Uruguay: and in the far east, where the coup of converting Japan has added a new and energetically expanding center to the world of Islam. (Muslims themselves are rather uncertain as to whether this is a positive achievement. The Japanese version of Islam is kinda weird, and very few outside Nihon accepts that the Japanese emperor is a descendant of Mohammed and various other prophets.)

The most politically and economically advanced of the Christian states is the North Karolina Confederation, which is about on the political and economic level of 17th century Holland, albeit with more petty local noblemen, more internal squabbles between the various provinces, and rather more unhappy Indians. They’re busy building a major trade empire abroad, hampered by the fact that Christian-Muslim relations in this world are rather worse than OTL during the Age Of Discovery. They don’t like the idea of a unified Europe with claims to rulership over the Americas either, and there has been some talk of taking a role in European affairs – but that will cost money, and the mercantile and land-holding elites of the Confederation are still unsure as to whether the threat is serious enough to raise taxes over.

In SE Asia, the energetic new Hindu dynasty, having successfully driven the Muslims from southern India in the wake of the collapse of the last great Muslim empire (NOT the Mughals: butterflies) are now competing for influence in SE Asia vs. the Japanese, whose corsairs have now grown bold enough in the Indian ocean to raid the Keralan’s commerce. War threatens, but some in the royal court murmur that this will waste energies best employed in keeping the armies of the northern frontiers strong, and in any event, it is only low-castes and members of the remaining Muslim minority who engage in the polluting activity of sea travel. Perhaps the Empire should abandon overseas trade if it leads to expensive commitments abroad, and should let the Buddhist kingdoms of SE Asia to sink or swim by themselves in the face of Japanese expansion.

China is currently in the midst of a dispute over the ownership of the Mandate of Heaven, which should be resolved any generation or so now. Given that the telescope, recently developed by Persian scholars, is the technological miracle of the age, and OTLs 16th century methods of military organization would be considered “cutting-edge”, the Chinese have largely been left on their own during their current disputations.

Bruce

Highlander

Banned
In this alternate version of our world, different creatures walk the Earth, instead of humans. Animals that we know today, such as the cat, dog, and fox, populate the world.

Here is the British Isles, though here it is known as "Il Elaygoach". The primary inhabitants are of a feline race, while there are some canines to the North, and foxes inhabit Ireland under one banner.

Animal_Isles_by_Alt_Reality.jpg

For more alternate cartography, visit my DeviantArt account in my signature.

In this alternate version of our world, different creatures walk the Earth, instead of humans. Animals that we know today, such as the cat, dog, and fox, populate the world.

Here is the British Isles, though here it is known as "Il Elaygoach". The primary inhabitants are of a feline race, while there are some canines to the North, and foxes inhabit Ireland under one banner.

For more alternate cartography, visit my DeviantArt account in my signature.

Map-f******-tastic :cool::cool::cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.