Map Contest III: Round III

Reminder use this thread for all discussions, questions, etc. After this post the only thing that should appear are maps that adhere to this contest. Rules for the contest can also be found in that thread.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now for the challenge: Sometimes things go different, nations that lived could have died or pursued other paths to power, people who died could have lived altering the course of history, a wrong (or right) turn could have altered the fate of a nation. Your challenge is with a PoD no earlier than 1455 AD, draw a map showing a different colonization pattern of either South America, North America, Africa, or India. The map should be based on a single date sometime between 1800 to 1900 AD.

At least one native nation has to be present but no more than three can still be around. Two of the colonizers have to be nations that either didn't succeed/try at being a colonizer or just plain failed as a nation.

You have one week.

Remember ask any questions in the linked rules/discussion thread above.

Chief Judge SK

Here's my submission.

Attachments

• map contest III round III mcPhotoshop Layers copy.pdf
    899.4 KB · Views: 1,126

Philip

Donor
POD: Henry IV and Joanna La Beltraneja win the War of the Castilian Succession in 1478. The lone independent native state is Somalia. It survives primarily as a buffer between Iberian and Ottoman possessions. Oman was a client state of Iberia until the late 18th Century. When it broke away it took some Iberian possessions with it.

Clichés avoided: Congo is not in the hands of a minor power. Abyssinia/Ethiopia is not independent. I am sure there are many clichés I failed to avoid.

Someone ripped their textbook!

alternatehistoryfinalrc9.png

POD: Columbus is blown off course and instead lands somewhere in North America. The Spanish then focus their colonization attempts in North America and the continents soon become known as North and South Columbia. The lack of gold does not really spark interest in other European nations who are slow to colonize. That is, until the Portuguese discover the rich Central and South American civilizations. They lead the way to conquest while the French, Dutch, British and Genoese get involved. And so forth. Later on, in an entirely different story, China and Russia get heavily involved and set up their own colonies.

I made a map of the Western Hemisphere until I read that I could only do one continent. South America is less-colorful, since it is primarily British colonies. I will post THAT map in the map thread.

(sorry had to post again to fix a mistake)

m2thet5678

Banned
POD: Venice keeps up its importance in the trading world, and Hanover wins a war with some other statelets, thus capturing them and gaining in importance.

France's and Britain's positions are similar to what they would have been OTL had France not lost the 7 years war.

Portugal has the lands near Goa.

The Mughal empire has imploded into 3 parts. (OTL, it was just 2 main parts, Mughals up North, Marathas down South). The Maratha Confederacy and the Mughal Empire are losing ground to the Europeans, as they did in OTL, (albeit at a quite slower rate than in OTL due to the presence of more colonizers, and imperial rivalries)

http://imajr.com/india-825676

To clarify, this is the defeat I'm talking about:

The fall and recapture of Calcutta (1756-1757)
Following this action Clive headed to his post at Fort St. David and it was there he received news of twin disasters for the English. Early in 1756, Siraj Ud Daulah had succeeded his grand father Alivardi Khan as Nawab of Bengal. In June Clive received news, firstly that the new Nawab had attacked the English at Kasimbazar and shortly afterwards that on 20 June he had taken the fort at Calcutta. The losses to the East India Company due to the fall of Calcutta were estimated by investors at £2,000,000. Those British who were captured were placed in a punishment cell which became infamous as the Black Hole of Calcutta and, in the stifling summer heat, it is alleged 123 of the 146 prisoners died due to suffocation or heat stroke. While the Black Hole became infamous in Britain, it is debatable whether the Nawab was aware of the incident.[6]

By Christmas 1756, no response had been received to diplomatic letters to the Nawab and so Admiral Charles Watson and Clive were dispatched to attack the Nawab's army and remove him from Calcutta by force. Their first target was the fortress of Baj-Baj which Clive approached by land while Admiral Watson bombarded it from the sea. The fortress was quickly taken with minimal British casualties. Shortly afterwards on 2 January 1757, Calcutta itself was taken with similar ease.

Approximately a month later, on 3 February 1757, Clive encountered the army of the Nawab itself. For two days, the army marched past Clive's camp to take up a position east of Calcutta. Sir Eyre Coote, serving in the British forces, estimated the enemy's strength as 40,000 cavalry, 60,000 infantry and thirty cannon. Even allowing for overestimation this was considerably more than Clive's force of approximately 2000 infantry, fourteen field guns and no cavalry.

In TTL the British are decisively routed and Clive is killed.

VT45

Banned
In 1518, Cortes and his fleet met disaster in the Gulf of Mexico, enconutering a storm which sunk the entire fleet, leaving no survivors. As a result, the Aztec Empire kept expanding, and when contact was finally established with them in the late 16th century, their empire was the most powerful in the Americas. They eventually began expanding across the oceans, and founded a colony in Australia in the late 17th century, using imported European technology. Elsewhere, the Dutch established a colony in Australia when they completed the first circumnavigation of Australia. The British likewise established a colony in Botany Bay. Majapahit as well expanded into Australia, while the Ottomans, looking elsewhere for conquests, took over Tasmania. By 1750, the colonial claims were starting to overlap with one another, to such an extent that it could have caused a war. However, the enlightened minds of the British decided to negotiate a treaty to end the disputes. China mediated, and created three neutral states along the coasts, to be inhabited jointly by the two neighbouring imperial powers, as well as by the indigenous peoples. The current year is 1810.

Yahoo! I made a map!

And the PoD is...

Charles the Rash isn't so rash.
You say::confused:

I say: Who said the PoD had to be related to colonisation?

Layered NA challenge final.jpg

Here's my contribution. The POD is that Napoleon makes a lasting peace with Britain after the Treaty of Pressburg in 1806.

The map is from 1898, after the Spanish-American War that, among other things, guaranteed the independence of the Sultanate of Morocco.

Africa_Map_Challenge.jpg

POD August 1461 Louis XI of France dies three weeks after his coronation. The succession of his infant son Charles is disputed by supporters of his brother Charles, Duke of Berry. The dispute turns into civil war, and then into a three-sided war when Edward IV of England invades. Both Charles' die during the war, and Edward declares himself King of France. Civil war erupts. Edward manages to suppress his opposition, but revolt is just under the surface.

During the sixteenth century, the Hapsburg dynastic ambitions are butterflied away.

1494 Giovanni Caboto (John Cabot) sails for Frederick I of Denmark, searching for a northern passage to the Indies. He reaches the North American mainland and explores down the coast. He calls the lands he finds Markland and Vinland, from the Lief Ericksen saga.

1496 Christopher Columbus is convinced that Caboto has found the Indies, and is finally able to convince Isabella to finance an expedition.

1506 Willem Martel of Frankfurt begins the Erneuerung (Renewal) movement [roughly OTL Reformation]. Joined by Martin Luther and Huldrych Zwingli and others, the Erneuerung is accepted relatively peacefully in the Germainis. In France, it triggers a long series of dynastic and religious wars that devastate France. France ends up partitioned. Savoy is among the winners.

1535-40 The Spanish conquer the Aztec Empire.

The Germans produce two major powers in the seventeenth century, The Austro-Prussian Empire in the east, and Neiderdeutschland in the west.
After the Second Baltic War, Denmark is forced to cede Markland to the Austro-Prussian Empire.

England, preoccupied with France, is late getting into colonization.

After Sweden leaves the Kalmar Union, both Denmark-Norway and Sweden have colonies in the New World.

North America comes to be named Hy Brasil.

Spain is unsuccessful in many of its wars, and is forced to cede Mississippi to Neiderdeutschland, Florida to Britain, and Texas to Aquitaine. Later its other colonies secede to become independent nations.

Click the thumbnail for the full sized entry:

Now, as for the PoD? Well, I'm going to hug my Round II trophy and not go the trouble of justifying my craziness... :rolleyes:

The Netherlands, having helped defend Denmark’s independence from Sweden in the Dutch-Swedish War in 1657, manages to commit Denmark-Norway to much greater involvement in the Anglo-Dutch Wars with a permanent alliance (in OTL, Denmark’s commitment amounted to 250 men and 8 military casualties). The Danish-Netherlands alliance wins a more definite victory over Britain and France in the Third Anglo-Dutch War (and preventing a fourth.) The Dutch manage to save their flagging empire and navy, while Denmark-Norway, despite much of the ruling class’s reservations, is dragged father into the international theater. British and French power is curtailed, France’s significantly so. With more players, the scramble for Africa starts sooner and is over faster.

Deleted member 4898

I has map. I can randomly join in this round, can't I?

GenericAfrica.jpg