Made Men and the Hooded Order

I am working on a story.

In 1922 a small group of Klansmen attack a mafia distillery in Kansas City. In truth the group did it for the money after local mobsters and community leaders refused to play ball. The public image however was taken up by a number of churches and more which endorsed "fighting demon rum!"

DC Stephenson starts to play up this idea and has a few vigilante groups go bust up a speakeasy or two. The mob clearly does not approve of this and strike back. It is KKK held communities and machine political cops against the mafia.

The big issue is that in 1923 that incident with Madge occurs. Only this time DC cries "mafia frame up." Which many people seem eager to buy. So now the KKK is a small regional Midwestern political force which banks on "we stand up to the mafia!"

So fast forward and when FDR wants to end prohibition there remains this large scale resistance to it.

So explain me things of importance until the 1960s.

This could have interesting ramifications since minorities would now find more solace in the mob. So it’d be the KKK against virtually every other minority in one coalition mob

IIRC, the KKK were into shotguns & rifles, the Mob into tommy guns etc. Game over...
AFI_1-75_M1927A1_Ad.jpg

A tommy gun you could buy through the mail.

But the presence of a postal zip code on the advertisement for the Tommy gun clearly identifies it as post-1963.

Thompson SMGs were marketed to the general public after WW1 until the Machine Gun act in 1934. The sales were mostly pretty small scale. I suppose that was mostly because of the high price. There were loads of WW1 military surplus bolt action rifles available dirt cheap.

Until 1934 I don't think there were any real federal Arms control. You could purchase a surplus howitzer if you had the cash.

Not a impossible scenario. It must be kept in mind how the Klans were fragmenting with the early national leadership losing any semblance of control. Some local leaders kept up the anti Catholic line, others tried to reconcile with Catholics, others dropped the hard line morality & some supported Prohibition and blue laws to the end.