Like Vultures!

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]The skiald[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]The skiald (Norse bard) went into the small town square. He wore an expensive dress decorated with a cross, a golden wyvern and a black raven. It was market day and the square was full of peoples bartering and trading.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]As the skiald took forward his flute and started to tune himself in, the shouting and bartering became less noisy. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]A skiald, probably going to deliver a royal message in our small town! [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]The townsfolk slowly fell silent ringing in the skiald who looked satisfied to get their attention.[/FONT]

“[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Good men and women” he shouted “I bring you tidings of the affairs of England. I have been told by my lord King Svend, Gods faithful servant, son of lady Estrid the sister of our King Cnut the Great, ruler of English, Danes, Northmen and part of the Swedes most beloved by his queen Emma lady of Normandy his aunt, descendant of King Ivar the Boneless of York, cousin of King Hardacnut of England and Denmark to travel the great land of Northumbria and to visit every city and town so that the news may be brought to every honest man of this country.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Hear now from my mouth the words such as King Svend spoke to me.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Let it be know to you that by the grace of God the Witan have asked me to rule England to the best of its nobility and common peoples English and Danes. I shall do so by adhering to the law of English and Danes alike as all my ancestors have done in times past. I therefore ask of and command my counsellors that they not in any way either for fear of me or to attain favour of any powerful person in times to come accede to any injustice or accept any such thrive in my Kingdom. I command any Earl, Thane and leading men of my Kingdom to not do unjust harm against any man noble or poor if they want to retain my friendship or their well-being. But nobility and honest men, rich and poor shall enjoy just law of which no deviation shall be made be it by royal or noble gesture or taxing; for I do not need the taxes collected by unjust means. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]I have decided to deliver this message for the peoples of my Kingdom shall rejoice in my well being. You know that I never did spare myself in my work and will not in future days refrain from any sacrifice for all my peoples.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Now I bid my Earls, Thanes and leading men that you faithfully to God and me in due time deliver the taxes that any man of cities, towns and parishes by ancient law be it English or Danish owns his Lord as well as the Church. If these have not been reckoned by mid august the Royal ticket will be demanded of the guilty strictly according to law and without delay. Be greeted.[/FONT]

And a map

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]POD:[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]I like the Medieval times, everybody especially of the ruling class fighting everybody even family – brother fighting brother, son fighting father and mothers fighting children. Anybody having watched “Winter of our discontent”?[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Now this is how Medieval ruling family life should be![/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]And then on to find such a place. And a time.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]But where to look but England of course – in the year 1035.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Initial dramatis personae:[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Royals:[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Cnut the Great, King of England, Denmark, Norway, Sweden and Scotland 1018-35[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Emma of Normandy, Queen of England, formerly married to English King Ethelred the Unready 978-1014, mother of Alfred and Edward. Married to Cnut she was the mother of Hardacnut and Gunhild who'd marry the heir of HREGN Henry. Died 1038[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Harold Harefoot, King of England 1035-40, son of Cnut the Great and Aelfgyfu.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Alfred son of Ethelred the Unready and Emma – died 1036 by the hand of Harold Harefoot's men.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Edward (the Confessor), King of England 1048-66 son of Ethelred the Unready and Emma.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Svend Estridson, King of England 1066-1076 son of Jarl Ulf Sprakaleg and Estrid Svendsdaughter (Svend Tjugobeard of Denmark and England)[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Magnus the Good, King of Norway 1035-47[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Harald Hardrada, King of Norway 1047-70[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Conrad II, Emperor of HREGN 1024-39[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Henry III, Emperor of HREGN 1039-56, married first time to Gunhild, daughter of Cnut the Great and Emma[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Nobility:[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Godwin, Earl of Wessex, murderer of Alfred Ethelredson, married to Gyda sister of Jarl Ulf Sprakaleg, father of Svend Estridson[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Harold Godwinson, Earl of East Anglia, son of Earl Godwin[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]William, Duke of Normandy[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Baldwin 5, Count of Flanders[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]The POD of this ATL is that King Hardacnut of England and Denmark do not have a stroke while attending a wedding at Lambeth during which Osgod Clapa gave his daughter Gyde to Danish nobleman Tove the Prude and subsequently die on Tuesday June 8. 1042.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Rather Hardacnut lives on for 6 more years to 1048. This short span of time makes for Hardacnut's cousin Svend Estridson to change his perception and not leave England at the time of Hardacnut's death but rather stay on and with the help of his relative Earl Godwin of Wessex grab the Crown of England.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]It is related by Florence of Worcester and other medieval chroniclers that Hardacnut made himself unpopular by the demand of an excessive Danegeld tax to pay off his fleet of 42.000 pounds silver. Worcester was razed in the process of hoarding the Danegeld which may contribute to Florence's perception of the size of the tax. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]But then Hardacnut's Danegeld was only half that demanded by Cnut the Great in 1018 82.400 pounds silver and slightly less than the 1012 payment of 48.000 pounds silver.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]This and other, not mentioned, deeds by Hardacnut should account for his during no good during his short reign. Had he lived a little longer he might not be in such a bad light.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]It seems from sources such as Saxo Grammaticus who wrote for Archbishop Absalon in Lund in the early 12. century and Adam of Bremen, if controversial because of bias that Svend Esteridsson was in England at the time of Hardacnut's arrival (Saxo) or arrived shortly after with part of the fleet (Adam). [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Being a member of the inner circle of the Danish/English royal family Svend could have claimed the throne of England but didn't. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Instead he left England at Hardacnut's death, perhaps due to a deal with Edward the Confessor and Duke William of Normandy (Adam) to go claim the throne of Denmark for himself. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Later he would in alliance with the Count of Flanders, one of his many sons Cnut VI Holy married Adele of Flanders, send off Viking expeditions to raid the North of England. Led by his indecisive brother Asbjorn and several sons nothing was achieved of this even if York was captured 1069.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]But there was other pretenders throwing themselves like vultures on England.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]One was the mighty Duke of Normandy William who would eventually conquer England following the defeat of Harold Godwinson in the Battle of Hastings 1066.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Another King Harold Hardrada who had his own go supported by Harold's brother Tostig earlier in the year 1066.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]And the Godwinson's led by the opportunistic Godwin Earl of Wessex. As its entrepreneur Godwin managed to make way for his son Harold ascending the throne 1066. [/FONT]

Back from the vacation - on we must go:

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Vultures prey[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Cnut the Great just died 1035 and buried at Winchester his North European realm was divided. England itself – the jewel in the Crown – was divided between Cnuts son, with his mistress Aelgyfu, Harold Harefoot in the North and Queen Emma, sister of deceased Duke Richard II of Normandy in the South.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Cnuts other son with Queen Emma, Hardecnut who was appointed heir of his father is in Denmark watching Norwegian King Magnus who's set on conquering Denmark.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Harold Harefoot was able to have the English nobility declare him King of England in 1036 following an attempt by Edward, son of Queen Emma and Anglo-Saxon King Ethelred the Unready to win the kingdom for himself. Defeated Edward fled for safety at his relatives in Normandy.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]The year after Queen Emma sends for her son Alfred who is captured by Harold Harefoot's men, blinded by Earl Godwin of Wessex and soon dead.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Harold Harefoot is then sole ruler of England as Hardacnut is too busy in Denmark.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Queen Emma flee England for the safety of Flanders at count Baldwin's court where she is to wait for Hardacnut until 1040.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Hardacnut is busy fighting King Magnus of Norway and to make peace it is negotiated that the longest living is to inherit the Kingdom of the other. This was a proven concept as Cnut the Great and Ethelred the Unready had decided the fate of England that way as the story was told. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Having settled his conflict with Magnus Hardacnut assemble his fleet and sail for Flanders where he meet his mother, Queen Emma 1039.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]To England[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Preparing to set sail for England 1040 Hardacnut is told that Harold Harefoot is dead and the English nobility ask him to take up rule of the land. Hardacnut then left Flanders for England.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Arriving in England Hardacnut had Harold Harefoot's body exhumed and thrown into a sewer and then into the Thames. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]He then declared a tax for paying off his fleet. This tax being so heavy that Worcester entered rebellion 1041 and was razed to the ground. Later in the year Edward and Emma arrived in England.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]But another male member of the Royal family was present in England at this time. Svend son of Estrid, sister of Cnut the Great was also there.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Svend being loyal to his King as decided by Cnut had been making preparations for Hardacnut's return putting castles and fortresses in good order and maintaining ships. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Now he paid close attendance to the dowager Queen Emma who for some reason wasn't on good terms with her son of first marriage, Edward and she strongly supported Hardacnut's rule.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Svend was also related closely to one great English magnate, Earl Godwin of Wessex who was married to Gyda the sister of Svend's father Ulf.[/FONT]

Love it Warrior.

Beside that have you thought of putting you other timeline into Timelines and Scenarios?

Thanks mate!
Warms my hearth! :)

I have submitted my "If you..." to the close scrutiny of the mods - waiting impatiently for it to be uploaded. This time its finished.
When the first part is uploaded I'll post maps and pictures in the discussion thread to be linked to following posts.
Only then is it really finished. :D

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Securing the future[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Hardacnut continued his tough rule having the English pay off his fleet and then sending it home when he deemed himself secure 1042, but also to discourage Magnus from any untimely action. Edward was named successor by Hardacnut but not to their mothers liking. She wanted someone with more integrity and took a closer look at Svend, Estrids son her nephew.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]And Emma did like what she saw – a young man, over 6' tall, strong, with integrity, a warrior of great courage and a natural leader, and of decent birth. And fertile, already having several children with various mistresses and other women. “A man” she thought.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]But for the time being Hardacnut remained her favourite. Ooh, the thought of Cnut and her begetting Hardacnut! She felt her cheeks flush.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Edward being an ill diplomat managed to offend Earl Godwin at several occasions mostly in blaming the Earl for the death of his brother Alfred. Godwin didn't take the offences lightly and slowly came to be counted among the supporters of Svend by his befriending of him. But then they were also family and as everybody knows bloods thicker than water.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Edith, Godwin's daughter was even rumoured to be a mistress of Svend, but then what woman wasn't in those days. And even if she was Godwin wouldn't mind as long as she didn't become pregnant lowering her value on the marriage board. But then she wouldn't marry Svend they were too closely related for the church to approve. “Better get the girl out of that bed, if she's in it” Godwin thought.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]This happy state of affairs continued until 1045 when Harold Hardrada, Magnus' uncle returned to Norway from Byzantium. Upon his arrival Harold questioned Magnus' authority but they managed each others company. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Raids and rebellion[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]The Norwegian state of affairs only lasted till 1047 when Magnus suddenly died in a riding accident and Harold Hardrada was able to claim the crown for himself.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]1047 also made for the Danish nobility to resent their Kings being away in England and not at home able to deal with the Slav raids by ship on the isles and by horse in Jutland. They needed a King but one who would be in Denmark to care for Denmark's problems. Oh, yes they did have Hardacnut's Jarl but he was hardly the man to handle the steering oar![/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]And young Duke William of Normandy was able to defeat his nobility foes in the battle of Val-es-Dunes cementing his rule of the Duchy.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Hardacnut did visit Denmark on occasion but usually he was in England attending to the business of the major country of his domains. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]He also stuck to Svend Tjugobeard's measure of keeping Denmark clear of the Hamburg-Bremen See. Inviting the Archbishop meant inviting the Emperor, and once in Svend didn't expect the Emperor to leave by himself! So Hardacnut also sent English clergy to the Church in Denmark as Cnut his father had also done.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]A deadly feast (1048)[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Hardacnut was a heavy drinker at feasts and his attending one in 1048 was no exception to the rule. Having eaten well and making many toasts Hardacnut suddenly seemed ill, sat down and then fell to the floor – dead cold.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]As news of Hardacnut's death travelled the lands a lot of things happened.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Edward contacted both English and Norman nobility to secure his way to the crown.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Svend contacted his English and Danish supporters but also Count Baldwin of Flanders. Descendant of Alfred the Great and married to the sister of King Henry I of France, a valuable ally.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]There was no use in his trying to rally Norman support. Being of the Danish royal family was no bad thing in dealing with the Norman nobility as Svend could point to the Danish Kings having been supporters of Duke Richard I a hundred years before. But then there had been the effort of his uncle Cnut the Great to marry his mother Estrid to Duke Richard II in 1017, which Richard had flatly refused. And the Normans had been quite loud about the Danish royals taking the great prize England from them. Bastards, they were offspring of the Danish royals themselves, but their policies were different nowadays. But he did pay a visit to dowager Queen Emma securing her support.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]He then set off to prepare his castles to secure his power base.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Harold Hardrada set sail from Norway to secure Denmark for himself. With the Danish royal family engulfed in strife for England the time seemed ripe.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]As Hardacnut had been put to rest at Winchester both Edward and Svend summoned their supporters. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]A Witangemot was arranged at London. As both pretenders had strong claims to the throne the Witan was in disarray. Even if Hardacnut had named Edward his successor the supporters of Svend were many especially as Emma showed him to be her favourite. As both pretenders seemed to be supported by Normandy and Svend by Count Baldwin of Flanders a descendant of King Alfred the Great the Witan was in even more disarray of who to chose. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]But the personality of Edward came to make the Witan turn about. Somehow he managed to make too many uncertain as to his ability to rule the country but also his turn to favour Godwin, murderer of his brother Alfred made some minds change. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]But at the important moment a number of Danish nobility summoned by Svend deserted him at the news of Harold Hardrada's attack on Denmark. The Odinkar, Hvide, Bodilson and Trugot magnates hastily broke camp and sailed for Denmark. 1047 wasn't forgotten and Denmark was in need of every sword and axe.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]This swung the Witan and Edwards cause gained wind. But not enough no make the Witan unite behind Edward especially as the greatest of Earls, Godwin and his son Harold Earl of East Anglia had sided with Svend.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]At this time Continental affairs took a turn and soon things were changed once again. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Duke Godfrey of Upper-Lorraine rebelled against the HREGN Emperor, Henry III. Henry stripped Godfrey of his fief turning it over to Count Gerhard of Alsace. But this didn't deter Godfrey who continued his fight for his ancestral lands of Upper and Lower Lorraine. Lower Lorraine having been taken away when his brother Gozelo had been deposed 1046.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]One of Godfrey's supporters were the Count of Flanders, Baldwin 5 a descendant of King Alfred the Great of England and married to Adele daughter of King Robert II of France. Thus he was an important ally to anybody with an interest in English or French affairs.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]The support of Baldwin made Godfrey able to continue his rebellion. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]The ability of Svends supporter Baldwin to resist the Emperor made the Witan waver once again and in copy of the Witan of 1016 decided that the two pretenders was to divide the Kingdom so that the longest living would inherit all for his issue. This was the death blow to Edwards aspirations to become sole king as Svend already had a legal son as well as several bastard ones and Edward had none. Edward had indeed married the daughter of Earl Godwin but Edith hadn't produced him any heir.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Svend was the first of the two to accede to the decision of the Witan and in doing so he demanded to choose his part to rule. This was thought a just demand by the Witan and Svend chose Mercia and Northumbria to come along with the Five Boroughs which he already ruled. Wessex and East Anglia became Edwards part to rule.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]This choosing of parts had Emma almost go into a laughing fit. She had to cover her face pretending to read some parchment and Svend most gallantly stepped in front of her to cover up. What set Emma off was the expressions of Godwin in the first place, who had envisioned Svend to pick his part of England and Edward next upon realizing he'd had to deal with Alfred's murderer and son for an in-determined length of time. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Godwin recovered rather quickly realizing Svend's choice to be the correct one. Edward didn't! And Emma laughed.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Leaving the Witan Svend, Emma, Earl Siward of Northumbria, Earl Leofric of Mercia and his retinue went to York to celebrate Christmas. It was a time of celebrating, attending mass, drinking and good company. And Svend in old fashioned but effective way would hand out precious gifts to his supporters.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Edward, Earl Godwin of Wessex, Earl Harold Godwinson of East Anglia and their followers went to Winchester to celebrate Christmas. It was a sullen, quiet celebrating of the holy time.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]During the year Emperor Henry III and King Henry I of France met to discuss matters of common interest. But nobody was told of the issues discussed.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Being deserted by their liege the Danish nobility magnates soon made peace with Harold Hardrada, who would use his resources to unite Scandinavia by picking off the Swedish lands one by one. But in the winter of 1048 he stayed in Denmark enjoying the fruits of conquest. The age old Danish – Norwegian strife was at an end and Norway being triumphant.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Harold Hardrada was soon to discover the reason for the English clergy running the church of Denmark. A messenger from the Archbishop's See of Hamburg-Bremen arrived claiming superiority of the Danish church. Harold advised by his Danish nobility gave the messenger lodgings but no answer. In fact the messenger was to spend the winter as the guest of the King of Norway and Denmark and still no answer come forward. As Harold was in no haste answering the Archbishop as the Emperor was busy fighting Duke Godfrey.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]The man[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Svend Estridsen was a tall man – standing more than 6' - like the other men of the Danish royal family. He was illiterate but a good narrator, or at least people would tend to listen to the King! [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]He was a warrior but also a supporter of the Church and would have some correspondence with the Pope. At least a few letters form the Pope to Svend is known. He worked to have his own Archbishop to get rid of the supremacy of the Hamburg-Bremen see. In this he followed in the footsteps of Svend Tjugobeard and Cnut the Great. And it was to be achieved.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]He was a loyal Jarl of Hardacnut it seems and also served Magnus the Good for some time until he found the time ripe for rebellion. Apparently he worked out a deal with Edward the Confessor on the English throne. He was able to continue the fight for the Danish crown for almost twenty years (1043-1064) against Magnus and then Harold Hardrada even if gaining a reputation for loosing battles. But this is somewhat in the line of the stories of Alfred the Great so might be to imply the difficulties he faced and overcame to win the throne – nobody mentioning the necessary political wheeling and dealing that is part of such struggle.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]In respect to the aforementioned Svend seems to have been a politician and a diplomat as well as able to hold his supporters to his case for a very long time or make the right allies to further his cause. Anyway he was persistent and won in the end. And perhaps his reputation of loosing battles could be a popular perception of a commander bent on preserving his army for the next battle and pulling out if things didn't go his way. That wouldn't be in accordance with the time as we are led to perceive it.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Having won the Danish throne Svend kept it until 1076. There are controversy as to his death occurring in 1074 or 76 but the most reliable sources seems to be for 1076.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]He kept his throne, sent fleets off to raid Northumbria and York several times, unfortunately with his brother Asbjorn in command, and Asbjorn look the indecisive type, so they failed. Some of his sons also participated notably Cnut who was to be indecisive himself later and get killed in the process but later elevated to sainthood by the Church.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Svend's greatest feat was his establishing a lasting dynasty, something rather unheard of in Denmark in times before. Five of his sons succeeding him on the throne and it passing to their descendants even if through a civil war was needed at times to further the decision. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Had it not been for Svend Danish history would have been much altered the line of Gorm and Harold Bluetooth having died with Hardacnut 1042![/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]The Emperor's Pope (1049)[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Emperor Henry III manage to tighten his hold on the Church even more by the election of Leo 9 as Pope.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]It was only in the new year 1049 that Edward had his first row with his Earls as he continued the accusations of Godwin being Alfred's murderer. This wasn't a good way to rule his country but Godwin being the greater diplomat managed to steer clear of trouble this year.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Svend on the other hand was busy running his part of the Kingdom, waiting for peace to crack in the south and supporting Count Baldwin of Flanders fight against the Emperor. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]One way of doing this was by supporting Harold Hardrada's Danish church by shipping off English clergy to continue running it. This made the Archbishop of Hamburg-Bremen complain to the Emperor who was more than busy fighting Baldwin of Flanders and Godfrey of Lorraine. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]He also sent an embassy to the King of France, just in case the Normandy Duke should get designs of his own. But apart of the usual row with Brittany nothing happened.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]King Malcolm of Scotland was held in check by Earl Siward and their family relations and Malcolm continued to pay a symbolic tax to signal his subservience to the Kingdom England. As Svend was his neighbour the tax ended in Svend's pocket and Malcolm also viewed himself as Svend's servant.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Svend used the ships he had at his command and had new ones built to broaden his range of action.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Having been acknowledged by the Danish magnates and with the Emperor still engulfed in strife with count Baldwin of Flanders and Duke Godfrey of Lorraine Harold Hardrada went for Sweden conquering the Kingdom of West Götaland. Having conquered it his son Olav Kyrre was made regent of that country. His other son Magnus ruled Norway in his absence.[/FONT]