Last and First Men

I read Last and First Men by Olaf Stapledon and it was one of the most interesting and disturbing books I've ever read. Its future history's quite interesting and somewhat prophetic, predicting the rise of China and America and a rivarly between them though sometimes weird (for example many civilizations in this book create artificial humans and extend lifespens to several thousand years but they don't have any sort of space program!) Here's a link for it: http://gutenberg.net.au/ebooks06/0601101h.html

Now if you really want to blow your mind, read the "sequel", Star Maker!

http://gutenberg.net.au/ebooks06/0601841h.html

This book has such a cosmic scale that the entire future history of humanity revealed in Last and First Men is dispensed with in two paragraphs:
Meanwhile new planetary births, rare among the stars, yet, in all, thousands upon thousands, had launched new worlds and new biographies. We saw the Other Earth, with its recurrent glories and shames, and its final suffocation. We saw the many other humanesque worlds, Echinoderm, Centaurian, and so on. We saw Man on his little Earth blunder through many alternating phases of dullness and lucidity, and again abject dullness. From epoch to epoch his bodily shape changed as a cloud changes. We watched him in his desperate struggle with Martian invaders; and then, after a moment that included further ages ofdarkness and of light, we saw him driven, by dread of the moon's downfall, away to inhospitable Venus. Later still, after an aeon that was a mere sigh in the lifetime of the cosmos, he fled before the exploding sun to Neptune, there to sink back into mere animality for further aeons again. But then he climbed once more and reached his finest intelligence, only to be burnt up like a moth in a flame by irresistible catastrophe.

All this long human story, most passionate and tragic in the living, was but an unimportant, a seemingly barren and negligible effort, lasting only for a few moments in the life of the galaxy. When it was over, the host of the planetary systems still lived on, with here and there a casualty, and here and there among the stars a new planetary birth, and here and there a fresh disaster.

Last edited:
I thought it was a excellent book , with prophecies ranging from Nuclear weaposn to the rise of air travel to the cultural war between China and the US. Im not so sure about the Brain men , or the Neptunians , but otherwise thouroghly enjoyable.

Now if you really want to blow your mind, read the "sequel", Star Maker!

http://gutenberg.net.au/ebooks06/0601841h.html

This book has such a cosmic scale that the entire future history of humanity revealed in Last and First Men is dispensed with in two paragraphs:

I agree whole-heartedly.
Starmaker is an excellent read. In fact I just reread it last month. Nebula Maker is okay, but not as good as these two works.

Another good book by Stapledon is Sirius. Its about an augmented dog trying to live in human sosciety as the only one of his kind. Similar to his story Odd John, but I find it a bit more realistic and maybe a bit more depressing.

I agree whole-heartedly.
Starmaker is an excellent read. In fact I just reread it last month. Nebula Maker is okay, but not as good as these two works.

Another good book by Stapledon is Sirius. Its about an augmented dog trying to live in human sosciety as the only one of his kind. Similar to his story Odd John, but I find it a bit more realistic and maybe a bit more depressing.

He's a star sent to earth as a dog right?

I preferred Star Maker. There must have been programs of a sort to reach Venus and end up on Neptune although not to the extent of the interstellar projects in Star Maker which largely began after we became exctinct. There is however no Alternate History in either book as they are future history and Stapledon has enough problems dealing with other worlds in our continuuum without considering parallel worlds as well. The other Earth at the start of Star Maker is the nearest and that is merely a civilisation that has the most in common with humans

I preferred Star Maker. There must have been programs of a sort to reach Venus and end up on Neptune although not to the extent of the interstellar projects in Star Maker which largely began after we became exctinct. There is however no Alternate History in either book as they are future history and Stapledon has enough problems dealing with other worlds in our continuuum without considering parallel worlds as well. The other Earth at the start of Star Maker is the nearest and that is merely a civilisation that has the most in common with humans
It's true that most of the story takes place in a single history, but (SPOILERS I suppose) when the cosmic mind of our universe finally connects with the "Star Maker" it sees a vision of all the other universes the Star Maker created, including some that resemble branching multiverses:
In his maturity the Star Maker conceived many strange forms of time. For instance, some of the later creations were designed with two or more temporal dimensions, and the lives of the creatures were temporal sequences in one or other dimension of the temporal "area" or "volume." These beings experienced their cosmos in a very odd manner. Living for a brief period along one dimension, each perceived at every moment of its life a simultaneous vista which, though of course fragmentary and obscure, was actually a view of a whole unique "transverse" cosmical evolution in the other dimension. In some cases a creature had an active life in every temporal dimension of the cosmos. The divine skill which arranged the whole temporal "volume" in such a manner that all the infinite spontaneous acts of all the creatures should fit together to produce a coherent system of transverse evolutions far surpassed even the ingenuity of the earlier experiment in "pre-established harmony."

In other creations a creature was given only one life, but this was a "zig-zag line," alternating from one temporal dimension to another according to the quality of the choices that the creature made. Strong or moral choices led in one temporal direction, weak or immoral choices in another.

In one inconceivably complex cosmos, whenever a creature was faced with several possible courses of action, it took them all, thereby creating many distinct temporal dimensions and distinct histories of the cosmos. Since in every evolutionary sequence of the cosmos there were very many creatures, and each was constantly faced with many possible courses, and the combinations of all their courses were innumerable, an infinity of distinct universes exfoliated from every moment of every temporal sequence in this cosmos.