Lands of Red and Gold

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hendryk

Banned
Even with a POD in the Neolithic, there is no way to end up with civil discussion on an alternate history forum...

Thande

Donor
Would a TL as divergent as this one still have created Mighty Mouse:confused:

I don't think it would have websites ending in .com either but as Jared said, don't take this one too seriously ;) I liked the references to creative misspellings, especially the irritatingly omnipresent 'challange'.

mojojojo

Gone Fishin'
Given the festive season, I thought it was time for a slightly more light-hearted look at the future of the LRG-verse.

Time: 25 December, 8:48 AM

Be nice, everyone. This is Christmas. Save your fights for your family, not fellow AH.commers.

Time: 25 December, 8:59 AM

Originally written by Guido the Guide:
> Be nice, everyone. This is Christmas.

I’m a Plirite, partner. I don’t care about Christmas.

If Goober is going to make stupid pronouncements or ask for space-cuckoo scenarios, I’m going to call him on it, regardless of which day it is.

Time: 25 December, 9:04 AM

In the spirit of the season, and given that a guide has already warned you about it, I’ll ignore this comment for now.

Partner, how many times? I’m a Plirite. I’m not a Christian. I DON’T CARE ABOUT CHRISTMAS.

You worshippers of a dead god can believe what you want, but don’t try to impose it on me or the world.

Time: 25 December, 9:26 AM

So you want balance instead of Christmas peace? Just don’t give us the harmony which comes through self-detonation.

Time: 25 December, 9:32 AM

Fuck you, Emerald. Fuck you with a 200-metre redwood up the arse.

The worst part of it is, you can’t even be creative with your baiting. You could at least have come up with something smarter like “partner, you have a really explosive personality”.

Instead, it was just a boring insult. The only thing you left out was calling me a black-heart or nigger or something equally puerile. It’s as bad as if I called you a ritual cannibal, which I won’t, because it would be predictable.

The following exchange made me wonder, just what is the religious temperature like in the present day of this TL. Are people more religious than otl or less? Are there the equivalents of the religious right in the Christianity and Islam of this world or are thing more liberal or less political. And where do the Plirites fall in the right/left, political/apolitical spectrum?

mojojojo

Gone Fishin'
I don't think it would have websites ending in .com either but as Jared said, don't take this one too seriously ;) I liked the references to creative misspellings, especially the irritatingly omnipresent 'challange'.
Or I suppose mighty Mouse could be a completely different character. Maybe he (or she) can shrink to the size of a mouse or maybe has powers over rodents.

Even with a POD in the Neolithic, there is no way to end up with civil discussion on an alternate history forum...

Well, I'd think of it as more:

Even with a POD in the Neolithic, there's no way to end up with civil discussion in:

i) An academic forum, or
ii) An online forum.

Having witnessed various kinds of academic politics, well... Being in a "faceless" online forum tends to raise the uncivility factor by a couple of notches, too. Putting them together makes for some acrimony.

That said, I agree with Julius Vogel's comments below about adding some complimentary but unhelpful posters, too. I'm going to edit them in as well.

Would a TL as divergent as this one still have created Mighty Mouse:confused:

To be honest, I didn't even know that there was a real Mighty Mouse until I just checked on the Genocide. That element of my childhood education must have been lacking - that or I just forgot everything about it.

What I was going for was an ATL reference to a character who fills a role somewhere between Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck.

Of course, I still think that this works - the ATL Mighty Mouse doesn't have much in common with OTL's one other than the name.

Love the post Jared. Although I do think you should have included a stronger dose of complimentary but ultimately unhelpful posters.

Good point. I'll retcon in a few more references to that, and a couple of other additions which I've since had suggested. I'll add those once I'm finished replying to this post - and in a different colour so that they're easy to spot.

I don't think it would have websites ending in .com either but as Jared said, don't take this one too seriously ;)

Yeah, some of the references here are more atmospheric than anything else - especially the .com one, as you point out.

That said, the "serious" AH comments they make are real enough, in a double-blind sort of way. They're intended to give some oblique glimpses into the future of the LRGverse.

I liked the references to creative misspellings, especially the irritatingly omnipresent 'challange'.

Yeah, you could spot which ATL posters were better spellers than others. ;)

The following exchange made me wonder, just what is the religious temperature like in the present day of this TL. Are people more religious than otl or less?

On the whole, slightly more religious than OTL, but there's a wide complex of beliefs around, depending on nation and ethnicity. There's no shortage of atheists, agnostics and general non-believers, though.

Are there the equivalents of the religious right in the Christianity and Islam of this world or are thing more liberal or less political.

Depends very much which country and time period you're talking, but on the whole, slightly more Christian religious right and less politicised Islam. I haven't finalised the details of that, though, particularly the nature of Islam ITTL. I need to chat to some of our more knowledgeable contributors about the plausibility of a couple of ideas I have for the future of Islam in TTL.

And where do the Plirites fall in the right/left, political/apolitical spectrum?

Well, going into that too much would be telling, but it's a fair assumption that there's no one Plirite position on the political spectrum. Much as non-Plirites may tend to assume that this is the case.

Note also that Kumgatu was very... vocal about his beliefs. And that he reacted to a stereotype which others had of Plirites as being:

i) black; and
ii) suicide bombers.

Draw your own conclusions from that.

Or I suppose mighty Mouse could be a completely different character. Maybe he (or she) can shrink to the size of a mouse or maybe has powers over rodents.

He is an ATL character, but in general his name is a pun on "mighty mouth". That describes his general attitude, and hence the reference by the ATL moderator about someone being too mouthy for his own good.

Did I see some hinting at much more successful French North America & New Netherlands?

Among other things, yes. The double-blind speculation in this post is a more or less accurate representation of how the world of LRG turned out, at least in North American terms.

In passing, note that this sort of speculation isn't based on them wondering how their world might have turned out how it did in OTL. There are plenty of ATLs around; why should they always home in on ours?

I did borrow the basic outline of the ATL challenge from For Want of a Nail, although I tweaked itsdescription of Mexico a lot.

I liked the reference about Space-cuckoos (for the ASBs).

I did have fun with that. ITTL, someone who is indulging in unrealistic speculation is worse than just off with the cuckoos, they're like in space-cuckoo land, partner.

That was a hilarious late birthday present. (My 20th birthday was on sunday)

Always happy to help!

mojojojo

Gone Fishin'
On the whole, slightly more religious than OTL, =

Depends very much which country and time period you're talking, but on the whole, slightly more Christian religious right and less politicised Islam.
and how does this situation come about?

mojojojo

Gone Fishin'
What I was going for was an ATL reference to a character who fills a role somewhere between Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck.

He is an ATL character, but in general his name is a pun on "mighty mouth". That describes his general attitude, and hence the reference by the ATL moderator about someone being too mouthy for his own good.
I would love to hear more about this character. I picture him as a tough talking mouse who thinks he is all that and is not afraid to tangle with the cats,hawks and snakes of the world (although he occupationally gets his comeuppance)

and how does this situation come about?

The somewhat greater Christian right is based on a number of consequences of Aururian contact, most of which I don't want to go into too much detail about yet.

One of them which I can mention, though, is that the death of Charles I from the Aururian plagues, and the regency period, removes the English Civil War as we know it. This means that the royal regime lasts for longer, with a character which means that fewer royalists and more puritans/non-conformists emigrate to the New World. This will have lasting consequences.

The less radical Islam also involves some details which I need to verify with experts on the subject (AHP, are you listening?) before I can describe them. The fundamental cause, though, is that the spread of Aururian crops through much of the Islamic world (and particularly the Middle East) leads to all sorts of social consequences of its own. Plus colonialism in the Mid East has a different character and effects, in particular not disrupting the continuous Islamic legal tradition, which will also make for a less politically radical Islam.

Oh, and this is also partly a response that it's a different religion's fundamentalism which is seen as the biggest threat in the modern LRG world.

I would love to hear more about this character. I picture him as a tough talking mouse who thinks he is all that and is not afraid to tangle with the cats,hawks and snakes of the world (although he occupationally gets his comeuppance)

Pretty much. Big talker, knows martial arts, has a particular cat as his main foil (although there are other villains). Gets on well with the dog, though.

mojojojo

Gone Fishin'
How is the state of gay rights in the present day of this TL? Does it even exist as a concept? Are there any places as tolerant of homosexuals as Amsterdam or as intolerant as Uganda?

mojojojo

Gone Fishin'

It'd be great to see this setting as part of a broader literary universe like R.R. Floyd's "Hammer of Gold" novels - both series, and the follow-ons. I loooove those books. Favourite moment: when the Atjuntja armies bring Shah Jahan himself for appeasement at the House of Pain. Allohistory needs more writers like him!

Thoughts?
and just what is this series about?

The somewhat greater Christian right is based on a number of consequences of Aururian contact, most of which I don't want to go into too much detail about yet.

One of them which I can mention, though, is that the death of Charles I from the Aururian plagues, and the regency period, removes the English Civil War as we know it. This means that the royal regime lasts for longer, with a character which means that fewer royalists and more puritans/non-conformists emigrate to the New World. This will have lasting consequences.

The less radical Islam also involves some details which I need to verify with experts on the subject (AHP, are you listening?) before I can describe them. The fundamental cause, though, is that the spread of Aururian crops through much of the Islamic world (and particularly the Middle East) leads to all sorts of social consequences of its own. Plus colonialism in the Mid East has a different character and effects, in particular not disrupting the continuous Islamic legal tradition, which will also make for a less politically radical Islam.

Oh, and this is also partly a response that it's a different religion's fundamentalism which is seen as the biggest threat in the modern LRG world.

Pretty much. Big talker, knows martial arts, has a particular cat as his main foil (although there are other villains). Gets on well with the dog, though.
There's going to be a Christian equivalent of Al Qaeda in this TL ? That's gonna be pretty interesting.

How is the state of gay rights in the present day of this TL? Does it even exist as a concept? Are there any places as tolerant of homosexuals as Amsterdam or as intolerant as Uganda?

I haven't really fleshed out the modern day of the LRGverse well enough to answer that sort of question.

What I do have for the future of the LRGverse is either:
i) very specific - eg I know a lot about the future of *Argentina, or
ii) very broad sweep of history - eg I've worked out what the long-term economic effects are of integrating wattles in the global agricultural base (which is, coincidentally, somewhat related to i).

The details are either getting fleshed out as I go, or may be left unspecified. I doubt I will ever know enough about the future of the LRG verse to be as specific as, say, I was during

So, in short, while this is a question I'll address eventually, there are too many other things I need to work out first which could impinge on it.

and just what is this series about?

A wish-fulfillment series by an ATL author which has about the plausibility of the Draka, but which is decently-written and engaging in a turn-your-critical-thinking-off sort of way.

Essentially it's a series in which the author has posited a more advanced Aururia than the one which is discovered in the true LRGverse. This is combined with an *Atjuntja culture (surprisingly similar to the true one, despite the armada of butterflies) which is able to adopt and reverse-engineer Western technology in a way which would put Meiji Japan to shame.

The end result is an Aururia with *Atjuntja and *Kiyungu who join the colonial race during the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries, and which really gives the European powers a run for their money. Funded, of course, by the eponymous hammer of gold of the novels titles.

Plausibility-wise, it's about as convincing as Aztecs sacking Rome in 1563, but hey, it's not like that always matters in AH terms.

There's going to be a Christian equivalent of Al Qaeda in this TL ? That's gonna be pretty interesting.

I think it might be a Plirite version, actually.

That would be pretty cool too.

It's not exactly an equivalent of al Qaeda, but note that one popular stereotype of Plirites in TTL's modern day is that they are all black suicide bombers.

Make of that what you will.

Status
Not open for further replies.