Lands of Red and Gold, Act II

mojojojo

Gone Fishin'
I figured that the more usual animal would be common brushtail possums (Trichosurus vulpecula). These habituate to human contact very well, as is demonstrated where they thrive in cities today, and have a much more versatile diet than koalas. They can be used for similar purposes (fur, hides, meat) and really only need provision of a few nest boxes to allow them to become widespread.
I thought the koalas were going to be sacred animals (at least in some regions). Kept by priests in sacred eucalyptus groves, and not selective breed other than culling the most belligerent ones (with the help of a sacred club no doubt;))

I hope you don't mind me asking about your other proposed Australian centric TL
I just came across this on the speculative evolution board
http://s1.zetaboards.com/Conceptual_Evolution/single/?p=3113821&t=8163032
is this what you have in mind for That Humongous Strength ?
My ideas for That Humongous Strength weren't so much evolution of other sentient species, as more of Australia's megafauna surviving, with significant ecological effects. The short version is that the extinction of the megafauna (except red and grey kangaroos) had massive ecological effects, since the megafaunas browsing (and manure as fertiliser) reduced the vegetation load and thus made bushfires much rarer. With the megafauna gone, fires became more common, fire-sensitive species vanished to be replaced by much less forest, more open woodlands and grasslands, and the contraction of the monsoonal zone to a small coasting-hugging area along the Northern Territory and northern WA.

It did used to be thought that it was human arrival and firestick farming which brought about the change in the ecology, but some extremely detailed fossil sites show that it was the other way around. ATL Australia here is a much more fertile place.

Unfortunately, with life getting busier and busier, I don't think I'll have time to write this as a full timeline. I am working on a concept which will allow me to introduce this (and some other ATL scenarios) into a readable but more compact format. If I get it working, then I'll let people know.

Jared, have there been any (European) discoveries over the last ten years that have altered how you would have written LoRaG had you known them back in 2008?
The broad picture would have remained the same, but many of the details of the early "agricultural" societies would have been different. There would have been more information about how the switch to agriculture was not an instant transition, but more of a gradual evolution as people alternated food-collection strategies over time.

Also more about how rather than sedentary societies forming quickly, how a lot of what are thought of as hunter-gatherer societies in small bands actually could be much more complex. There are known examples of societies which were in hunter-gatherer bands (small groups, no real hierarchies or organisation) for part of the year, but for other parts of the year would gather in large groups based on available resources. When they were in those larger groups, they operated in ways which are (in anthropology) more traditionally associated with "complex" societies - hierarchical leaders, police forces, strict social rules etc - and then break apart again for much of the year.

The emergence of the Gunnagal suits this perfectly - they would have been forming complex societies for about six months of the year, with people coming together to harvest and then live off red yams. This would have involved hierarchical leaders, police forces, strict social regulation, etc. Then for the other six months of the year, with the red yams consumed, they would disperse into smaller bands, becoming more mobile (within their broader territory) and using more hunting and gathering. As they gradually domesticated other plants and then adopted aquaculture, there would be enough food for year-round sedentary, and thus the "complex" state would move from being six-monthly to year-round.

I wanted to quickly mention one idea I had for how Plirism - or specifically the Nangu school of Plirism - could spread to Japan.

The merchant class of Tokugawa Japan would make the perfect vector for Nuttana proselytizing efforts. Read this paper on the state of the merchant class in Tokugawa Japan - they were monetarily richer than the nobility, but in their society they were treated as lower than the aristocracy.

Nangu Plirism is the perfect faith for a merchant. It has religious codes that assure fair trade and the protection of everyones inalienable right (especially in the eyes of mercantile folk) to not get ripped off
Intriguing. I need to think through the whole Plirism in Japan idea in more detail, but it does seem to have some potential.

(I also need to respond in more detail to your earlier post about potential history of cannabis - I'll get to that.)

I thought the koalas were going to be sacred animals (at least in some regions). Kept by priests in sacred eucalyptus groves, and not selective breed other than culling the most belligerent ones (with the help of a sacred club no doubt;))
That was an idea I'd toyed with, though never confirmed anything canonically. Nothing stops that being the case in a few sacred locations, while elsewhere people turn to the more flexible possums.

The broad picture would have remained the same, but many of the details of the early "agricultural" societies would have been different. There would have been more information about how the switch to agriculture was not an instant transition, but more of a gradual evolution as people alternated food-collection strategies over time.

Also more about how rather than sedentary societies forming quickly, how a lot of what are thought of as hunter-gatherer societies in small bands actually could be much more complex. There are known examples of societies which were in hunter-gatherer bands (small groups, no real hierarchies or organisation) for part of the year, but for other parts of the year would gather in large groups based on available resources. When they were in those larger groups, they operated in ways which are (in anthropology) more traditionally associated with "complex" societies - hierarchical leaders, police forces, strict social rules etc - and then break apart again for much of the year.

The emergence of the Gunnagal suits this perfectly - they would have been forming complex societies for about six months of the year, with people coming together to harvest and then live off red yams. This would have involved hierarchical leaders, police forces, strict social regulation, etc. Then for the other six months of the year, with the red yams consumed, they would disperse into smaller bands, becoming more mobile (within their broader territory) and using more hunting and gathering. As they gradually domesticated other plants and then adopted aquaculture, there would be enough food for year-round sedentary, and thus the "complex" state would move from being six-monthly to year-round.

That makes sense. I've just bought a copy of Dark Emu which purportedly talks about this sort of stuff at length. On a side note, I made the ill-advised decision to become a teacher in Kalgoorlie and IIRC Kalgoorlie ITTL is almost as bad as OTL. Do you reckon there's any chance for a future showing of Australia's worst town in LoRaG? Doubtless not any time soon, of course.

So I just finished reading your beautiful TL :love: but I was wondering... What's happening in the Islamic World? I see you mentioned in an earlier post that the Islanders had a trading network that stretched from India to Ryukyu. There are multiple Muslim polities and kingdoms within that range and since Plirism is proselytising in nature I was wondering how they would both view each other?

Last edited:

mojojojo

Gone Fishin'
My ideas for That Humongous Strength weren't so much evolution of other sentient species, as more of Australia's megafauna surviving, with significant ecological effects. The short version is that the extinction of the megafauna (except red and grey kangaroos) had massive ecological effects, since the megafaunas browsing (and manure as fertiliser) reduced the vegetation load and thus made bushfires much rarer. With the megafauna gone, fires became more common, fire-sensitive species vanished to be replaced by much less forest, more open woodlands and grasslands, and the contraction of the monsoonal zone to a small coasting-hugging area along the Northern Territory and northern WA.

It did used to be thought that it was human arrival and firestick farming which brought about the change in the ecology, but some extremely detailed fossil sites show that it was the other way around. ATL Australia here is a much more fertile place.
Going by the title I am guessing there will be some creature that is especially suited to being a beast of burden. What is it?
Unfortunately, with life getting busier and busier, I don't think I'll have time to write this as a full timeline. I am working on a concept which will allow me to introduce this (and some other ATL scenarios) into a readable but more compact format. If I get it working, then I'll let people know.
I think I speak for many of us hear when I say that we would love to see it (and pretty much anything else you write for that matter:love:

On a side note, I made the ill-advised decision to become a teacher in Kalgoorlie and IIRC Kalgoorlie ITTL is almost as bad as OTL. Do you reckon there's any chance for a future showing of Australia's worst town in LoRaG? Doubtless not any time soon, of course.
A slave mining town where there is a mingling of cultures, languages and faiths and which produces the world's greatest supply of bullion at that time? There may possibly be some narrative potential there...

So I just finished read your beautiful TL :love: but I was wondering... What's happening in the Islamic World? I see you mentioned in an earlier post that the Islanders had a trading network that stretched from India to Ryukyu. There are multiple Muslim polities and kingdoms within that range and since Plirism is proselytising in nature I was wondering how they would both view each other?
Well, the Islamic world is rather large and it's hard to generalise. The Ottomans are adjusting to the spread of Aururian crops which offer, at least in potential, considerable agricultural expansion within their realm.

The relations between Islam and Plirism will be complex. The Nuttana are capable of not proselytising when they deem it in their commercial interest, but at other times they will try with varying degrees of determination to convert others. This will lead to interactions from Indonesia to India to the Middle East to Africa. There will be multiple outcomes from this depending on the region and the era.

Going by the title I am guessing there will be some creature that is especially suited to being a beast of burden. What is it?
I wasn't particularly thinking beast of burden, but the title refers to surviving Diprotodons.

I think I speak for many of us hear when I say that we would love to see it (and pretty much anything else you write for that matter:love:
If and when I end up developing this into a published scenario, I will let people know.

A slave mining town where there is a mingling of cultures, languages and faiths and which produces the world's greatest supply of bullion at that time? There may possibly be some narrative potential there...

Just include some recent Yadji arrival that gets bullied for being from *Melbourne and I'll have the cameo of my dreams (nightmares).

mojojojo

Gone Fishin'
That was an idea I'd toyed with, though never confirmed anything canonically. Nothing stops that being the case in a few sacred locations, while elsewhere people turn to the more flexible possums.
I could see it being like that rat temple of India
(although it would probably be a lot more popular with Western tourists if it survives into the modern era)

mojojojo

Gone Fishin'
I think I may have found a mythological creature from this TL
sarah-dahlinger-quollsphinx-001.jpg

The Nuttana are best placed for rapid agricultural innovation because - unlike southern Aururia water is not a concern for them. A major roadblock in agricultural experjmentation is availability of water, where water isn't readily available through rains or requires irrigation from rivers the rate of innovation is hampered because tightly controlled access to water (i.e What happens with any scarce resource) means it's harder to innovate for most people, and people would tend to stick to traditional methods.The Nuttana, being in the tropical region, would find experimentation in agriculture to be almost risk free. Tropical agricultural techniques regarding such things as cultivation patterns and tropical agroforestry crop packages have developed very swiftly in tropical regions. This high rate of innovation is possible due to high availability of water, clear wet and dry seasons, and the tropical adaptation of the crops. In tropical regions, you also have the opportunity to improve the soil tenfold by encouraging certain animals like turtles, frogs, and earthworms on and around the farm, which is possible because the tropical biosphere is diverse enough to include several species with beneficial effects for farms. I don't know how many such biospheres can be created from Southern Aururian animals, and whether anyone would want to ruin the sanctity of their prime riverland farms by introducing animals on it.
For the Five Rivers, experimentation with crops is as common as anywhere in the world (in pre-industrial terms). Partly this is cultural - they have a long history of seeking to outdo each other and looking for anything which might give them an edge, including better crops. But most of this is because their staple crops are grown using dryland agriculture. Their main use of water is not for staple crops, but for forms of agriculture and aquaculture grown for profit. Kunduri and wetlands were the two biggest uses for that in pre-Houtmanian times, but far from the only, including a wide variety of plants cultivated for their dye and/or aromatic qualities, grown with irrigation.

In an era when the Five Rivers are turning away from the more extensive use of artificial wetlands, they have even more water to work with, in fertile soils (former wetlands).

It took a large population of cannabis users in OTL to demand specific effects from their cannabis, which drove the production of different strains by different breeders. The Five Rivers will never have a market like India or parts of Asia (or possibly even Europe; see below) where the consumer base would notice the difference between different strains, and develop their preferences for certain strains.
In terms of pre-1750 cultivation of cannabis, which is the comparable period here, I'm not at all sure that market size had much to do with it. From what I can see, it was mostly small-scale experimentation for local producers without much of an export market, leading to a great many varieties due to different microclimates, genetics, etc.

One keystone moment in cannabis breeding history, is the cross-breeding of the Cannabis sativa varieties that are found across Asia and Africa, with the Cannabis indica varieties that are native specifically to the northern Indian subcontinent, and grow readily in areas with monsoons, and up in the Himalayan heights as well, so as a species they are generally robust and hardy. Indica varieties also make for the most productice cannabis crops due to the density of their flowers (and there are techniques to increase that as well). Here's something on one of the indica landraces "Hindu Kush", named such because of it's origin from around that mountain range.

I think the Nuttana are the only Aururians who would have traveled to distant corners of India and also sourced some local cannabis in the process, which they would, once they witness the potency of these cannabis varieties, given that these varieties were used for hashish production.
The indica variety was native to the northern half of the subcontinent, and notably grown in Bengal, which is where the Nuttana visit. But that's also where Europeans visit, and where any other Aururians (if they make it to India at all, of course), will likely visit. The indica strain was not inaccessible.

With the ability to hybridize indica with sativaa varieties (possibly already bred for higher potency) and produce a product that combines the energizing, anxiolytic, and analgesic effects all in one variety of cannabis. I think the Atherton tablelands would be particularly suited to both the cultivation of indica cannabis in general and could readily be used to grow hybridized strains. As well as being suited to agriculture in general.
The Atherton tablelands have an excellent climate and good soil, but in the context of the early Nuttana, are not really suitable for wide-scale agriculture. This is because it would require extensive labour to clear the rainforest, and because the transport links to the coast make agriculture too expensive. For good reason, most Nuttana agriculture is concentrated in coastal regions because the land transport in their area is abysmal, to put it mildly. Some commodities can withstand the travel costs from being collected inland (*cough* gold *cough*), but not mainstream agriculture. Whatever crops the Nuttana are growing would be concentrated in more coastal localities. This may well include cannabis.

In contrast, the Five Rivers or Durigal are about cool enough for where the indica species/subspecies originated (foothills of the Himalayas, and generally dry climate too), and would have a decent chance of producing quality crops with low transport costs.

And additionally, the Nuttana tradition and flair for branding their products, there's no doubt they would brand their particular strains of cannabis. I think that even Europeans wouldn't be able to resist a product at that level of refinement. The Nuttana could produce strains with different effects and market them for different purposes, i.e. for energy, for sleep, for pain etc. and given its own name. From the Middle East, to Europe, to Asia, the Nuttana can create a following for their own brand goods since no one else will be doing the same thing, leaving little competition for this brand recognition.
This era does have the risk of counterfeiting considerably, of course, but yes, this is one advantage the Nuttana will have in the Old World. I'm not sure whether they will have the same advantage within Aururia, because that kind of marketing already exists for premium aromatics (from the Five Rivers), which could be transferred to new products.

Curing cannabis focuses on maintaining the integrity of psychoactive components, and preservation of volatile aromatic compounds. The decarboxylation of THC is also part of the purpose, but smoking cannabis decarboxylates it with direct combustion. To make it orally usable, the THC needs to be decarboxylated to make it usable for cannabis-infused foods. Kunduri, being the most prominent drug cultivated in Aururia for history, does not require the same sort of curing, but certain techniques can transfer.

The Nuttana, I believe, will have an edge in packaging because they can copy techniques used to preserve certain perishable goods like tea, and develop packaging that can preserve the freshness of cannabis in trips half-way across the world. The Chinese used packaging of glass, metal, ceramic, china, and more, which the Nuttana can take inspiration from.

The Five Rivers won't have as much of a long-distance market and would never need to develop packaging of that level. And these same sort of packagings can be iterated on so that they can be made simpler so that a lot more cannabis can be processed and packaged industrially, with the construction of packaging itself representing an ancillary industry possibly if not done in the same factories.
The Five Rivers have had export markets for aromatic compounds (incenses, perfumes etc) for centuries and needed to package them in suitable forms so that volatile compounds are not lost. Those export markets have included both by land (along the Spice Roads) and sea (via the Nangu). These techniques are easily adaptable to kunduri (once smoked) and cannabis (if adopted). If anything, the Nuttana can learn suitable packaging techniques from the Five Rivers.

The bigger constraint, I would argue, is not the knowledge itself, but the incentive. I don't think the Five Rivers markets for cannabis would be large and varied enough for the incentive for too much experimentation with the aromatic profiles of cannabis.
Five Rivers are a significant market because they are a high-wage, low transport cost internal market with a long history of experimentation and appreciation of aromatics. They also have an export market for aromatics (Durigal, the spice countries, the Mutjing, some to the Ajuntja) which encourages them to explore options which might be profitable elsewhere. This is not a market on the same scale as the Nuttana may have access to, of course, but is sufficient to encourage experimentation.

The Nuttana wouldn't find too much profits in lower-grade cannabis, since that market was cornered by locally-grown cannabis, and the premium cannabis product market was usually occupied by hashish. The Nuttana would notice the steeper profit margins in selling a more potent product like hashish, but notice the waste of materials that go into the production of hashish, since the hashish is only the trichomes of the flowers, and the plant material is discarded. The Nuttana would notice, after coming across certain cannabis strains that are potent naturally given the environment of their provenance, and that they can just breed a stronger cannabis and not have to discard so much material. Hashish was also a way to make a potent product out of weak cannabis (which was most cannabis) by concentrating it, which the Nuttana wouldn't need to if they have a potent cannabis to begin with.
The question is why the Nuttana are growing cannabis in the first place before the selective breeding has time to work, and who they're selling it to in the meantime. They won't be growing it on any scale unless they're exporting it to someone, and once they're exporting it, then others will notice that it is being sold and wonder if they can do the same.

Basically I see two possible paths for cannabis to arrive in Aururia, and both of them end up with it spreading:
(1) The Nuttana get it first, and naturally begin selling it. If they have it first, then even low-grade cannabis will still be exportable across Aururia, since there is no competition from locally-grown production. Other Aururians then become familiar with the product and grow it locally from what's supplied and/or ask Europeans to obtain samples for them.
(2) Europeans bring cannabis to other areas of Aururia as possible trade goods. (Most likely into the Five Rivers to trade for silver, dyes or kunduri, or possibly Durigal or the spice regions). Local cultivation soon follows and spreads as it is traded. The Nuttana notice quickly (as they would) and obtain samples for themselves to experiment with.

The Europeans wouldn't care so much for the selective-breeding of cannabis, and if they notice that Aururians are demanding potent psychoactive cannabis, they're more likely to just sell them hashish from India or the Middle East.
With this, I was referring more for (some) Aururians being astute enough to know the difference, and seeking to import breeding stock. If, say, the Yadji Regent offers some gold or a Tjibarri faction leader offer some silver, Europeans will happily find some breeding stock.

I can see the Nuttana maintaining a stronghold in any cannabis market based on the strength of their marketing acumen alone, with the branding that they can give their cannabis, I don't doubt that Aururian consumers of premium cannabis would hold high preferences for Nuttana cannabis.
The Nuttana aren't the only ones skilled in marketing aromatic products. What I think is the most likely outcome is that within southern Aururia production is dominated by the Five Rivers (or less likely the Yadji) while the Nuttana use their widespread trading contacts to sell premium products across much of Asia and possibly further afield.

Would Plirites use it religiously, perhaps for their meditations and rituals?
Plirism is more into meditation and contemplation in order to gain clear insight into this world, rather than using psychoactives to give access to "another realm". Perhaps one or two of the more esoteric Plirite schools take it up in a small way, but it would be more of a Durigal and/or Tiayal thing, really.

Last edited:
Quite. Their elaborate systems of land management were mostly misunderstood by Europeans, who were much more familiar with (their own) traditional farming techniques. Hence they missed entire systems when the Aboriginal peoples managed the land and even transferred plants over vast distances to establish them into the ecosystem and then harvest them for food.

Whether that counts as farming or not is a matter of definition, but it certainly counts as intensive land management for food purposes. (See link here for details.)

Indeed, and reading a later post you made about the emergence of Aururian agriculture, I think it would basically be a process of shrinking the traditionally managed lands using better technology, knowledge, labour, or what have you, into agroforests. And with that, people would be able to innovate by finding new crops and trees, and developing more intensive agroforestry techniques.

I figured that the more usual animal would be common brushtail possums (Trichosurus vulpecula). These habituate to human contact very well, as is demonstrated where they thrive in cities today, and have a much more versatile diet than koalas. They can be used for similar purposes (fur, hides, meat) and really only need provision of a few nest boxes to allow them to become widespread.

I'd agree that brushtail possums would be the more widespread domesticate, especially since they would be excellent sycanthropes in agricultural settings because they eat pests. And the rest (meat, fur etc.) are also reason enough to keep them.

Koalas specifically I would imagine could be raised within agroforests simply because they would be considered auspicious. I suppose it depends on where exactly in Aururia are koalas revered, but I imagine traditional Aururian religions like the native Gunnagal ones would hold these creatures in high regard, enough to raise them for relgious / spiritual reasons alone.

I don't know whether that specific Indian fertiliser would be adaptable to Aururian conditions, but certainly Aururians use a wide variety of effective fertilisers by the combination of ducks/emus and wattles (leaves, bark, pods, wattleseeds).

I'm not sure either, but the point of these specific fertilizer is to promote growth of helpful bacteria in the soil (as well as nitrogen fixation through the chickpeas, I think). I've read claims that Indian cows' dung contain more of these helpful bacteria, but I can't really verify it.

But I'm sure Aururians could come up with an equivalent fertilizer using the ingredients available to them that can accomplish the same thing.

Durigal is too far south to be useful for cotton production. Here is a map of where cotton is grown in OTL; as shown there, it's only a small part of northern Victoria where it's possible, and that's part of the Five Rivers ITTL. Even that takes short-staple cotton and the cotton gin to be possible, which is not instantly available at this point ITTL. Plus the equivalent of several human generations of careful selective breeding of short-staple cotton varieties which can be grown in northernmost Victoria (the growing range has been gradually extended further south within Australia over the decades due to intensive selective breeding).

I was considering things like rainfall, soil quality and such and I thought that Durigal would have a few spots in which cotton could plausibly be grown. I'm not sure though, since as you mention, it's not in IOTL. I think it's mostly the temperature that's wrong for cotton, but as you mentioned; selective breeding over time could allow for more widespread cultivation.

Charity is an explicit part of Plirism (the fifth path). It's expected that all Plirites (except the destitute) will donate part of their income to others. In most Plirite societies, that means going to the temples who in turn will support others. Some schools distinguish between donations for the needy and donations for the temple itself. In the Nangu school, there is a set formula of one-twelfth of income to be donated as charity. Other Plirite schools encourage charity but do not have a set percentage.

Interesting, what are the Plirite schools view on providing charity to non-Plirites? For example, a Plirite temple in a non-Plirite community. Would they provide charity from what they receive from their Plirite members to help the non-Plirite destitute in said community?

It would be interesting if through this system of charity, Plirites in Japan make a name for themselves by doing charity for the needy and gain a following amongst them. Especially since if the primary Plirites are rich merchants, then they'd be able to provide plenty of wealth for charitable redistribution.

The question is how these priests support themselves while preaching to new schools. The Nangu often support the priest directly as a link to a trade mission, and once a small community of believers is established then the priests are supported locally. Other schools are less systematic about it.

Are there any famous historical Plirite missionaries? I would imagine, at least for the Nangu school, anyone starting a following in a new area would become at least famous in local history, if not Plirite history. Though any missionaries involved in spreading the faith to foreign lands like Japan would likely be a lot more celebrated, especially amongst the local Plirites there and in Plirite history itself.

The nature of the business being structured as it was is linked to the broader ideological context of the ATL twentieth century. I can't be more specific than that or for the reasons they were in North America without too many spoilers for Act III.

Ah, is the "nationalism" we saw mentioned before in action? If it's not a spoiler, is this a situation of an alternate economic system being practiced within a market capitalist system?

As a side-note, for Gunnagal that is the ethnic term. (It's not the name of a country). It gets confusing with, say, Durigalese, because Durigal is the name of the country and so Durigalese has been coined by English-speakers for the name of citizens of the country as a whole. (Junditmara would be one ethnicity within Durigal).

How Gunnagal are the Nangu / Nuttana seen as? They do belong to the same macro-ethnicity, although I'm certain in the TTL future the Nuttana and Gunnagal would have developed very differently.

Are ethnicities within the Gunnagal group recognized as distinct?

In terms of pre-1750 cultivation of cannabis, which is the comparable period here, I'm not at all sure that market size had much to do with it. From what I can see, it was mostly small-scale experimentation for local producers without much of an export market, leading to a great many varieties due to different microclimates, genetics, etc.

Market size would be important if you want a market with diverse tastes in terms of what strains they would demand. These diverse demands would take time to develop, and the preliminary stages of experimentation with cannabis would likely follow the outlines you mentioned. But for an expansive cannabis market with room for several different types of cannabis varieties market size is key.

The small-scale experimentation you mention usually led to just one strain that was suited to the local environment, and that would apparently fulfill all the local demand for cannabis. But someone taking into account the international market would notice the possibilities of developing many different varieties they can grow and export.

The indica variety was native to the northern half of the subcontinent, and notably grown in Bengal, which is where the Nuttana visit. But that's also where Europeans visit, and where any other Aururians (if they make it to India at all, of course), will likely visit. The indica strain was not inaccessible.

Was the indica variety grown in Bengal? The region has a tropical to sub-tropical climate not quite suited to the cultivation of indica cannabis which grew readily in dry and cool climates (like the Himalayan foothills). Indica and sativa weren't hybridized by that point, so they couldn't have grown tropical-adapted hybrids either.

I have no sources on 18th century cannabis cultivation in Bengal but my guess would be that it would've been based on sativa varieties. No information as to whether they had any specific landraces.

Even today, the indica varieties are only naturally found in the mountaineous north of the Indian Subcontinent.

The Atherton tablelands have an excellent climate and good soil, but in the context of the early Nuttana, are not really suitable for wide-scale agriculture. This is because it would require extensive labour to clear the rainforest, and because the transport links to the coast make agriculture too expensive. For good reason, most Nuttana agriculture is concentrated in coastal regions because the land transport in their area is abysmal, to put it mildly. Some commodities can withstand the travel costs from being collected inland (*cough* gold *cough*), but not mainstream agriculture. Whatever crops the Nuttana are growing would be concentrated in more coastal localities. This may well include cannabis.

Cannabis could become a valuable enough cash-crop in time for the Atherton tablelands to become home to its cultivation. Though it would be by the point that the Nuttana already have a growing market and are exporting several cannabis varieties and products, making it economically viable to create transport links through the rainforest (using the labour of elephants I imagine).

Clearing forest cover is not necessary in an agroforestry system, so you wouldn't quite need to clear the rainforest to grow cannabis, just maintain a few arable areas for cannabis within a larger agroforestry system. So this should cut down on the labour required to expand into the tablelands.

Though the Nuttana would have to experiment with cannabis within the coastal regions you mentioned before expanding cultivation westwards, so they should have readymade cannabis varieties to expand the production of.

Cannabis isn't hard to transport either, the main worry would be about mold and things of that nature, if we're assuming the cannabis is cured at the place of cultivation and transported to where they can be packaged and exported. It's a light in weight and high in value product (unlike gold, which is more valuable but not as easily transported).

In contrast, the Five Rivers or Durigal are about cool enough for where the indica species/subspecies originated (foothills of the Himalayas, and generally dry climate too), and would have a decent chance of producing quality crops with low transport costs.

True, and it's not impossible for them to get their hands on the indica variety, but I would expect the Nuttana to get their hands on it first since it's in an out of the way place and the Nuttana are natural explorers.

For the Five Rivers or Durigal to get it I would pin the Nuttana as the more likely ones they can get it from than the Europeans, whether it's by bribing someone to part with a few seeds (or, luckily, finding some Nuttana cannabis with seeds in already).

So at some point I would imagine indica cannabis or more likely some indica dominant hybrid to end up there.

This era does have the risk of counterfeiting considerably, of course, but yes, this is one advantage the Nuttana will have in the Old World. I'm not sure whether they will have the same advantage within Aururia, because that kind of marketing already exists for premium aromatics (from the Five Rivers), which could be transferred to new products.

Counterfeiting a cannabis product containing cannabis only grown by the Nuttana wouldn't be so easy. Sure, one could mime the packaging and branding and fill it with an inferior product - but if that is happening at all it would mean that the Nuttana have a massive enough market share in cannabis already for nefarious parties to take advantage.

The effectiveness of marketing here would be to make Nuttana cannabis the first in premium cannabis before anyone else in Aururia gets in on it. Moving fast and cornering a market would make it hard for competitors even if they can match the Nuttana in product quality and marketing aptitude.

And the nature of cannabis itself allows for multiple varieties that can be individually marketed, so it's not like the Nuttana would be only exporting one kind of cannabis. I would imagine multiple products, and likely a lot of internal competition between Nuttana cannabis producers making sure that Nuttana cannabis doesn't stay stagnant.

The Five Rivers have had export markets for aromatic compounds (incenses, perfumes etc) for centuries and needed to package them in suitable forms so that volatile compounds are not lost. Those export markets have included both by land (along the Spice Roads) and sea (via the Nangu). These techniques are easily adaptable to kunduri (once smoked) and cannabis (if adopted). If anything, the Nuttana can learn suitable packaging techniques from the Five Rivers.

The packaging required for those items would likely be too expensive for a product like cannabis, when all it needs is airtight packaging that would protect it from damp and heat. Instead of preserving volatile compounds (which would require some complicated containets) you're just keeping plant material dry and cool and free of mold. Which is basically what the Chinese were trying to accomplish with how they packed tea for export to Europe, which is why it might be better to copy that packaging for cannabis.

Five Rivers are a significant market because they are a high-wage, low transport cost internal market with a long history of experimentation and appreciation of aromatics. They also have an export market for aromatics (Durigal, the spice countries, the Mutjing, some to the Ajuntja) which encourages them to explore options which might be profitable elsewhere. This is not a market on the same scale as the Nuttana may have access to, of course, but is sufficient to encourage experimentation.

The drawbacks of a smaller overall market size is that you can't as easily develop and economy of scale. With the Nuttana able to develop an economy of scale with cannabis, they'll still be able to compete with Five Rivers cannabis products within their own markets. So even in their own markets, they probably share it with Nuttana products.

The question is why the Nuttana are growing cannabis in the first place before the selective breeding has time to work, and who they're selling it to in the meantime. They won't be growing it on any scale unless they're exporting it to someone, and once they're exporting it, then others will notice that it is being sold and wonder if they can do the same.

Basically I see two possible paths for cannabis to arrive in Aururia, and both of them end up with it spreading:
(1) The Nuttana get it first, and naturally begin selling it. If they have it first, then even low-grade cannabis will still be exportable across Aururia, since there is no competition from locally-grown production. Other Aururians then become familiar with the product and grow it locally from what's supplied and/or ask Europeans to obtain samples for them.
(2) Europeans bring cannabis to other areas of Aururia as possible trade goods. (Most likely into the Five Rivers to trade for silver, dyes or kunduri, or possibly Durigal or the spice regions). Local cultivation soon follows and spreads as it is traded. The Nuttana notice quickly (as they would) and obtain samples for themselves to experiment with.

I would back scenario 1) since the Europeans didn't see cannabis as important a trade good as things like textiles, if indeed they saw any trade value in it at all. I would imagine them realizing the value but only after the Nuttana have kickstarted a cannabis market within Aururia of their own accord.

Assuming in 1) that the Nuttana selling around cannabis in Aururia causes it to be cultivated in places, the clear path to market supremacy would be hybridization with indica, and the practice of feminizing seeds so that the cannabis you export won't have pesky seeds that your competitors can use to grow your product).

With this, I was referring more for (some) Aururians being astute enough to know the difference, and seeking to import breeding stock. If, say, the Yadji Regent offers some gold or a Tjibarri faction leader offer some silver, Europeans will happily find some breeding stock.

That's fair, but in time the best breeding stock would be in the hands of the Nuttana through selective breeding and hybridization. The bribes might have to be heavier but it's entirely possible for this sort of economic subterfuge to happen once Nuttana cannabis becomes truly established.

The Nuttana aren't the only ones skilled in marketing aromatic products. What I think is the most likely outcome is that within southern Aururia production is dominated by the Five Rivers (or less likely the Yadji) while the Nuttana use their widespread trading contacts to sell premium products across much of Asia and possibly further afield.

While the production within southern Aururia might be centred on the Five Rivers, I think their products will end up sharing the market with Nuttana products in some capacity. A situation that would clearly involve some vigorous competition since the Nuttana would hate to lose a major Aururian market and the Five Rivers would hate to see their local market flooded with Nuttana goods.

Plirism is more into meditation and contemplation in order to gain clear insight into this world, rather than using psychoactives to give access to "another realm". Perhaps one or two of the more esoteric Plirite schools take it up in a small way, but it would be more of a Durigal and/or Tiayal thing, really.

Speaking of meditation, is there any concept of enlightenment within Plirism, and within Aururia in general? Have there been any historical figures considered enlightened beings.

In basically all cultures where meditation is prevalent (India & East Asia) there's the idea of enlightenment, with meditation being the primary path to it.

The reason for the connection between meditation and enlightenment is that meditation does seemingly lead to profound psychological changes in long-term practitioners, thus the idea of the enlightened mind in ancient meditating spiritualities.

Is the Good Man considered to have reached his understanding through meditation? If so, a Plirite idea of enlightenment might be to meditate until one reaches an equivalent level of understanding of the cosmos as the Good Man.

--

I also wanted to mention an idea I had. Could the Kogung incite a "Trans-Pacific" slave trade with the Nuttana by demanding slave labour to build their new homeland? Perhaps the Nuttana can supply Papuan slaves in some numbers, and the Kogung could use these first generation slaves as stock (basically condemning these people to generational slavery) to ensure further generations of slaves in order to fulfill labour needs in the Kogung homeland.

Last edited: