Inglorious Basterds Not Remade

I'm thinking about Podykane of Mars. Taratino has a talent for expanding mundane stories. A sort in inteplanatary 'Clueless' with a bunch of late 21st Century teenage girls decorating the edges of interplanetary politics and intrigue. In the foreground we'd see Pody & her peers doing a entertaining air head thing, behind them we'd become aware of the adults going about deadly serious business.

I find Basterds honestly a little offensive, as though it's accusatory. "Why didn't you do this, Jews?" it seems to ask.

Oh for Pete's sake people are way too sensitive these days. I'm ethnically Jewish and there's nothing offensive about it. The movie is an obvious revenge fantasy.

Now, the following is a great reply about Starship Troopers.

They wanted to take the piss out of the author's [of Starship Troopers] beliefs and war films in general so make a super gory spectacle filled with All (south) american boys and gals slaughtering bugs clearly framed by a fascist government that is obviously at least dark grey and then make the characters so likable and the story compelling enough that you don't really care if they are a bunch of fascists their sunset shot is awesome.

Wrong.

They were from Argentina and no one had southern accents.

I'm from Buenos Aires and I say KILL THEM ALL!

You mean we weren't meant to be rooting for the bugs?

ettkc32bi8wz9e39qerc.jpg

I always rooted for the bugs.

Let me tell a great story of my youth.

I watched Starship Troopers on Fox Thursday Night movie because the Yankees were not on. I was 16 or something. I watched the movie and realized something was a bit off. Maybe reading Orwell and Burgess tipped me off. They were obviously living in a dystopian society. You had to serve in the military to be a functioning citizen. All of the citizens were obviously maimed, blind or with replacement limbs. School's a government training camp. There is an obvious breakdown of gender roles so that women can be exploited for the military-industrial combine. There appeared to be a "bread and circuses" thing going on, as well. Oh, and there is the whole propaganda film/invading foreigners that have nothing to do with you thing.

starship-troopers-cast-and-actors-in-this-movie-u2.jpg

Now, anyone with half a brain could realize there is something definitively not good about the good guys. This is the brilliance of Starship Troopers, because by using good looking people, saccharine conversation, and certain camera angles and coloring which makes the whole dystopia look bright and cheery, the audience will presume that the dystopic hellhole is great. They will identify the main characters as good guys.

Congratulations, you're cheering for the 22nd century Nazis.

This captured the essence of the book Starship Troopers so well. It's a simple allegory.

Dehumanize the enemy (the "Iraqis," oops, I mean 'Iraqnids" are called the racial epithet "bugs.") They're throwing the B word around like a rap star drops the N bomb. Then, invade the enemy and when they respond it is sold to the people as an attack out of the blue. The "pre-emptive strike" is to prevent a supposed existential threat to human civilization. The medical experiments and torture of prisoners of war is normalized. Neil Patrick Harris wears a gosh darn SS uniform.

starship_troopers_7.jpg

So, it is exceedingly obvious who the bad guys are, but the director was brilliant in shooting the movie in such a way to show the audience how slick propaganda can fool the masses.

Hey, don't stop reading, my story continues.

So, in college we get Starship Troopers from the local $1 rent a video place. I tell my roommates how the movie is this allegory, i.e. the above, and they're like, "No man, they're just killing bugs."

We start watching and I start explaining what is going on and one guy's like, "Nah, you're full a crap, it's a stupid bug movie."

nph_0.jpg

He kept on like this until Neil Patrick Himmler entered the screen. Then he croaked, "Okay, maybe you're right a little."

By the end where they are sodomizing the brain bug with a probe, he finally relented.

I am convinced the only people who "get" Starship Troopers are the ones who vote third party. Everyone else is used to eating spoon-fed propaganda and cannot discern the truth, because the presentation gets in the way.

Last edited:
Oh for Pete's sake people are way too sensitive these days. I'm ethnically Jewish and there's nothing offensive about it. The movie is an obvious revenge fantasy.

Now, the following is a great reply about Starship Troopers.

Wrong.

They were from Argentina and no one had southern accents.

I'm from Buenos Aires and I say KILL THEM ALL!

ettkc32bi8wz9e39qerc.jpg

I always rooted for the bugs.

Let me tell a great story of my youth.

I watched Starship Troopers on Fox Thursday Night movie because the Yankees were not on. I was 16 or something. I watched the movie and realized something was a bit off. Maybe reading Orwell and Burgess tipped me off. They were obviously living in a dystopian society. You had to serve in the military to be a functioning citizen. All of the citizens were obviously maimed, blind or with replacement limbs. School's a government training camp. There is an obvious breakdown of gender roles so that women can be exploited for the military-industrial combine. There appeared to be a "bread and circuses" thing going on, as well. Oh, and there is the whole propaganda film/invading foreigners that have nothing to do with you thing.

starship-troopers-cast-and-actors-in-this-movie-u2.jpg

Now, anyone with half a brain could realize there is something definitively not good about the good guys. This is the brilliance of Starship Troopers, because by using good looking people, saccharine conversation, and certain camera angles and coloring which makes the whole dystopia look bright and cheery, the audience will presume that the dystopic hellhole is great. They will identify the main characters as good guys.

Congratulations, you're cheering for the 22nd century Nazis.

This captured the essence of the book Starship Troopers so well. It's a simple allegory.

Dehumanize the enemy (the "Iraqis," oops, I mean 'Iraqnids" are called the racial epithet "bugs.") They're throwing the B word around like a rap star drops the N bomb. Then, invade the enemy and when they respond it is sold to the people as an attack out of the blue. The "pre-emptive strike" is to prevent a supposed existential threat to human civilization. The medical experiments and torture of prisoners of war is normalized. Neil Patrick Harris wears a gosh darn SS uniform.

starship_troopers_7.jpg

So, it is exceedingly obvious who the bad guys are, but the director was brilliant in shooting the movie in such a way to show the audience how slick propaganda can fool the masses.

Hey, don't stop reading, my story continues.

So, in college we get Starship Troopers from the local $1 rent a video place. I tell my roommates how the movie is this allegory, i.e. the above, and they're like, "No man, they're just killing bugs."

We start watching and I start explaining what is going on and one guy's like, "Nah, you're full a crap, it's a stupid bug movie."

nph_0.jpg

He kept on like this until Neil Patrick Himmler entered the screen. Then he croaked, "Okay, maybe you're right a little."

By the end where they are sodomizing the brain bug with a probe, he finally relented.

I am convinced the only people who "get" Starship Troopers are the ones who vote third party. Everyone else is used to eating spoon-fed propaganda and cannot discern the truth, because the presentation gets in the way.

Argentina is the whitest country in South America and was the stereotypical refuge of various Nazis. In the book Rico is far more 'Latin' looking and certainly not an Ayran wet dream. There are three non white characters in the unit drawn from around the world in contrast to what I recall from the books, instead of power armour they wear variations of Wehrmacht and SS uniforms. The south part was South American not USA Southerners but they all have American accents bar one and this includes both reporters, propagandists and the military leadership.

And its obvious who the bad guys were which in the books were the bugs or at least the humans could not be said to be outright villainous whilst in the movie you have proud fascists dressed as Nazis torturing prisoners on public broadcasts and mutilate their own soldiers during training and its all tongue in cheek how many wounded soldiers are about which is done differently in the books where the intention is to put off recruits who might have illusions about what risks come with the job with crippled men being specifically shifted to recruitment and training to get people used to the notion.

You noticing that the good guys wear SS uniforms and vivisect prisoners of war and probably are not nice people is not a genius deduction.

The movie fails because frankly I don't care if their 22nd century Nazis I stopped taking those parts seriously once the director and producers started treating the audience and the author like idiots and resolved to enjoy a great action movie with likeable characters who happen to be Nazis which if the idea was to get people to dislike Heinlein's ideas falls down hard on its pretty good propaganda for the Federation.

Last edited:
I think it's wrong to make a movie based on a book you hate, putting in bad things that weren't in the book. Use your freedom of expression to tell your own story.

On the other hand, Heinlein would have loved the shower scene; lots of naked women, in his books.

On the other hand, Heinlein would have loved the shower scene; lots of naked women, in his books.

Amen. Maybe 'Friday' would be a good selection. Is Angelnia Jolie to old to play Friaday with numerous nude scenes? What about Scarlet Johnson, does she do nekkid?

But back to 'Podykane of Mars'...

Sounds like a possibility. Who would play the sociopath brother Clark?

I dunno. Not up on the sort of under 25 actors available these days for such a role. Taratino mostly works with experienced, established, hence skilled actors. I wonder how he'd do with several young actors on the set?

Amen. Maybe 'Friday' would be a good selection. Is Angelnia Jolie to old to play Friaday with numerous nude scenes? What about Scarlet Johnson, does she do nekkid?

But back to 'Podykane of Mars'...

I dunno. Not up on the sort of under 25 actors available these days for such a role. Taratino mostly works with experienced, established, hence skilled actors. I wonder how he'd do with several young actors on the set?

Friday would have potential. Lots of neo-lesbian scenes in the book.

With Podkayne and Clark, they would have to up the age of the characters. Probably butcher the story from the book until it did not bear anything Heinlein wrote.

Inglorious Basterds is one of the best movies of the last decade.

What the hell is wrong with you?

I think Quentin Tarantino hasn't made a decent film since Reservoir Dogs.

Further, I'll go on the record to say that all of Tarantino's movies from Kill Bill up till now are overrated pieces of shit.

I would sooner ask what the hell is wrong with all of you guys who like his movies. But the answer to both your question and mine exists since the times of Classical Rome; De gustibus non est disputandum.

Ya know, I've long thought the best insult you can give to a boneheaded trolling post is to ignore it & move on. Kind hope others here see the logic in that.

Friday would have potential. Lots of neo-lesbian scenes in the book.

I'm all for that. Potential for some threesome & four way bisexual scenes there too. The Wachowski Brothers might be better at that.

With Podkayne and Clark, they would have to up the age of the characters. Probably butcher the story from the book until it did not bear anything Heinlein wrote.

I don't think they'd 'have' to go older, tho that would be a logical Hollywood move. One hopes Taratino would be better than that. Maybe we will find out someday. European producers/directors have a better track record at using young actors. Otherwise in the US its Disney or some ultra low budget indie producer. Hmmm a Disney production of Podykane, that sounds like a direct route to a hack job.

I agree that a Disney version of Podkayne would be so hooky and hack. It would take out all the subtext and heart and replace it bland one dimensional sugery pop tween and teens.

Now to get really Freaky have Tarantino do To Sail Beyond the Sunset. Try to see if that could be successful. :p

I have long said that the people who took Starship Troopers seriously were missing the point. Pattersonautobody is spot on- it is brilliant. In fact, it is a masterpiece of 20th century cinema! (OK, I jest- but still, those who took it seriously were missing the point.)

It is absolutely not the same thing as the book, but what it is is brilliant.

The whole point was to be over-the-top with the pseudofascist imagery and bald-faced propaganda. The entire culture is an anti-hero! The viewer is supposed to, at some point, come to a "Jesus, just who am I rooting for, here" sort of realization. It's an allegory on the dangers of state-controlled media, among other things.

Oh, and I'd certainly pay $10 to see Friday on the big screen...