Inglorious Basterds Not Remade

This was arguably Taritinos weakest or least interesting movie to date. What subject or story might have been a better match for his talents at the time? Are there any other war stories that may have worked, or should he have dropped the war movie subject, at least for some years and tried something else.

He has not yet tried SciFi & I'm wonder if that would have been a better fit in those years?

This was arguably Taritinos weakest or least interesting movie to date. What subject or story might have been a better match for his talents at the time? Are there any other war stories that may have worked, or should he have dropped the war movie subject, at least for some years and tried something else.

He has not yet tried SciFi & I'm wonder if that would have been a better fit in those years?
Death. Proof.

He could always make a gangster movie set in the thirties.

shiftygiant

Gone Fishin'
Basterds was a remake? I know it took inspiration from a lot of movies and the title was borrowed from '78 Inglorious Bastards, but it never a remake.

Anyway, he'd of probobly done a Western instead. Sci-Fi maybe, but I think his intention as a Director post-Jackie Brown was to do more with what he grew up on (Westerns, War Movies, and East Asian Fight movies). He'd of probobly wound up making Django earlier (which he began working on in 2007) or a Kung Fu film about the Mandarin.

What you have to remember though is that Basterds was Tarantino's baby, and he had spent over a decade writing and perfecting the script. He's not going to just drop it.

Last edited:
I was breifly happy thinking that Tarantino had a good reason for sticking a terrible action film onto a brilliant Drama that had no meaningful interaction when you said it was a remake.

I then read the rest of the thread and I am sad again.

Tbh I am half surprised that Tarantino hasn't done a sci-fi film. His thing always seemed to be taking a nostalgic old time concept and turning it into a surreal hyper violent spectacle. Something like a brutal star treck parody would be right up his alley.

Honestly, if viewed as a small series of independent short movies, Inglorious Basterds is an amazing spectacle. The Jew Hunter. The Bear Jew. The Bar scene.They are all absolute hallmarks of brilliant artistry, and are all spoiled by that ridiculous ending, which couldn't be saved be saved even by the talent of Christoph Waltz.

EMTSATX

Banned
Well, that sucks for me. Outside of Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs is my favorite. I really liked hateful 8 and Jackie Brown. Guess I don't get to be a film critic. If I will universally thank him for it's making me realize how awesome Samuel L. Jackson is. I think Pulp Fiction was his apex. I'm curious why the hate for Basterds?

Inglorious Basterds is one of the best movies of the last decade.

What the hell is wrong with you?

It seems different people have varied tastes and likes. I thought Basterds was a good movie, thought Django was WAY overrated, and Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs his best.

I am sure others will disagree with me.

Inglorious Basterds is one of the best movies of the last decade.

What the hell is wrong with you?

Dont hate it. It just bored me. Lacked the tension of Resvoir Dogs, Jackie Brown, Death Proof, or about every other Taritino film I've seen. But then war movies in general leave me cold.

I was breifly happy thinking that Tarantino had a good reason for sticking a terrible action film onto a brilliant Drama that had no meaningful interaction when you said it was a remake.

I then read the rest of the thread and I am sad again.

Tbh I am half surprised that Tarantino hasn't done a sci-fi film. His thing always seemed to be taking a nostalgic old time concept and turning it into a surreal hyper violent spectacle. Something like a brutal star treck parody would be right up his alley.

So, Starship Troopers?

So, Starship Troopers?
That was a glorious own goal.

They wanted to take the piss out of the author's beliefs and war films in general so make a super gory spectacle filled with All (south) american boys and gals slaughtering bugs clearly framed by a fascist government that is obviously at least dark grey and then make the characters so likable and the story compelling enough that you don't really care if they are a bunch of fascists their sunset shot is awesome.

They wanted to take the piss out of the author's beliefs and war films in general so make a super gory spectacle filled with All (south) american boys and gals slaughtering bugs clearly framed by a fascist government that is obviously at least dark grey and then make the characters so likable and the story compelling enough that you don't really care if they are a bunch of fascists their sunset shot is awesome.

You mean we weren't meant to be rooting for the bugs?