How Plausible is History?

I put this in pre-1900 simply because most of history, obviously, happened before 1900.

The basic idea is, what historical events do you think an alternate you (don't bring up butterflies) would not believe. Think of this as a mass, OOC DBWI.

For instance, if in the ATL you live in the Mongols only reached a third of their OTL zenith, would you believe that they could actually have reached that size.

Or if you live in an ATL where Hitler was shot in 1939, would you actually believe that the Nazis could have conquered what they did in OTL?

So, how plausible is history?

Alternate Me: WTF?! The asassination of one person, Archduke Franz Ferdinand, did that much?! 100 million dead?! It's just, well, that's one BIG butterfly...

well i think that japan coming from a feudal lifestyle to a great power status in around 40 years would sound really implausible

Well the Mongol Horde taking over pretty much entire Old World in the span of one man's life time and then crumbling away once a single person dies. That seems like wank in its true form.

The election of George W. Bush, impossible! Al Gore was very popular and won Florida, it is stupid to think Florida would vote for Bush.

The dismemberment of the Roman Empire post Manzikert. Granted, it was a pretty major defeat, but the Empire has suffered far worse and shrugged them off in a long run.

(another)

The Arab expansion in the VIIth through IXth century, and the fact that fully half of the Mediterranean and quite a bit more speaks Arabic to this day (i.e. the longevity of the conquest, and its long-term effect on the conquered territories). If this is not an uber-wank, then I don't know what it is...

Here's what I find highly ASB: the idea that one carpenter from Iudea could somehow -- from out of his butt -- pull a new religious movement that would somehow spread throughout the Roman Empire and even further? And how would our Emperors abandon the True religion to worship a carpenter who was born without conception? That just makes no sense... the gods would never allow him to live.

OOC: My from a no-Christianity timeline where Roman Paganism still dominated.

Nikephoros

Banned
That the pathetic City-State of Rome could survive Etruscan domination and create an Empire around the Mediterranean. Only to fall to FREAKIN' barbarians.:eek:

A better question is why many seem to find no issue with a scattering of Germanic tribes are able defeat the Roman Empire, resist all outside forces, take over much of Europe, and then go on a general string of wars which result in either absurd defeats (while keeping the bulk of the military, and fortunes of the nation) or fighting the most powerful Kingdoms in the world and winning thanks to "Prussian Military Prowess."

Nikephoros

Banned
A better question is why many seem to find no issue with a scattering of Germanic tribes are able defeat the Roman Empire, resist all outside forces, take over much of Europe, and then go on a general string of wars which result in either absurd defeats (while keeping the bulk of the military, and fortunes of the nation) or fighting the most powerful Kingdoms in the world and winning thanks to "Prussian Military Prowess."

Yeah, that's just crazy:eek:

The penal colony at Sydney Cove expand to become a country in just over a hundred years? :eek: Unbelievable is all I can say! Who came up with that one? Arrest them & ship them out there to live a convicts life at that Hell hole!

How the fuck could The USSR last until 1991? Everyone knows that it couldn't live on past 1968, Too many coups in the WP were successful.

OOC: Me from a world where Communism wasn't as successfull and coups didn't fail to overthrow communism.

Anaxagoras

Banned
18th Century Scotland, is all I can say. One would have to be a lunatic to expect such a small and poor country, beaten down for centuries by their more powerful neighbor, to produce the greatest economists, philosophers, inventors, soldiers, explorers, legal minds, historians, ect. that the world has ever known!

Typo

Banned
Macedonian Empire Stretching from the Adriatic to the Indus.

Mongolian Empire from the Pacific to Poland to Iraq

British India

North American Colonies overshadowing most of the European homelands