How far could Henry the Lion have take his ambitions?

One of those things that periodically crop up: Henry the Lion stars as Frederick Barbarossa's nemesis without a clue. I can't figure out what he wanted (other than for his authoratay to be respected), and I am not clued in enough to see what he could have gotten. He was one of the most powerful rulers of Central Europe, rich, respected and militarily successful. What did he have to gain by opposing the emperor? Could he have made himself king - and king of where? I can't see him replacing Barbarossa as emperor.

So in the end, the question I have is what kind of PODs Henry the Lion realistically could have created.

Faeelin

Banned
One of those things that periodically crop up: Henry the Lion stars as Frederick Barbarossa's nemesis without a clue. I can't figure out what he wanted (other than for his authoratay to be respected), and I am not clued in enough to see what he could have gotten. He was one of the most powerful rulers of Central Europe, rich, respected and militarily successful. What did he have to gain by opposing the emperor? Could he have made himself king - and king of where? I can't see him replacing Barbarossa as emperor.

I dunno. At the Battle of Legnano people thought he had died. So if he had....

Susano

Banned

So in the end, the question I have is what kind of PODs Henry the Lion realistically could have created.

Now, Im far less well read on the middles ages as you are, but the way I read it, there might not have been any grand plan, just - personalities. Henry the Lion after all was a loyal supporter of Barbarossa before that incident in Italy, which is why Barbarossa let him get away with so many breaches of imperial law. So, Id say he simply got cocky, demanding Goslar for his help. Or maybe that really was just his usual modus operandi, and Barbarossa finally got sick and had enough of it. Or both. Either way, that would all not require any grand plans at all...