Hensonverse Speculation and Commentary

CONTEST TIME!!!

This TL will (sadly) begin its denouement soon, but here's your chance to shape the Disney Animated Canon in the 2000s and 2010s.

Rather than write full articles, they will be mentioned and briefly described (no more than a paragraph) as part of a Retrospective Post, but I leave the door open for Guest Posts that go into deeper aspects.

Some of your earlier ideas, some of them long-since lost in the stack, are already incorporated.

So, pitch your quick (a name, concept, and a little bit of info (voice actors, director) here, quoting this post, and find out eventually if your idea was chosen.

May the Best Posters Win!!!!

...or barring that, the Least Worst. Can't be worse than some of my ideas. :winkytongue:

Shooting my shot here (as a disclaimer, I haven’t been fully keeping up to date, so some of the voice actor choices might not be possible ITTL):

Model Town: (Directed by Jeff Rowe) A trio of high schoolers (Catherine Taber, James Arnold Taylor, Ashley Johnson) in the 1970s stumble across a half-completed model town set in the basement of their school. As they complete and mess around with it, they realize it has the power to change their hometown through it (eg. accidentally knocking off the bell tower from the mini church causes the same to the actual church in town). Things quickly become drastic when the school bully (Jensen Ackles) learns of their “toy” and tries to smash it.

(Or, in other words, it’s basically the Chillogy series of episodes from the Goosebumps show, crossed with the episode of the 2019 Twilight Zone about the model town that can alter reality.)

Here are three of my ideas - mostly motivated by a desire to have naturalistic, animal-based features go through a renaissance in the mid-2000's.

An adaptation of the Katurran Oddysey made for the WED-Sig line released in 2005 - starring Elijah Wood as Katook, Hugh Laurie as Quigga, Samuel L. Jackson as Gamic and Physcillla Rashad as Nadab.

A film set in the Wessex Formation of the Isle of Wight - Early Cretaceous - about two rival Hypsilophodon (voiced by Thomas Brodie-Sangster and... some British kid actor who could play a "jerk with a heart of gold" type) who end up stranded... whilst being hunted by a vicious Eotyrannus (voiced by Peter Serafinowicz).

And finally, an animated film about Japanese mythology - it's about a teenage boy who falls in love with a yuki-onna (snow woman), but Kurokami, her god father (voiced by Ken Wantanabe) forbids the union... and things go downhill from there. Basically Heart and Soul crossed with Poet and the Dragon.

(David Mitchell, Robert Webb and Matt King voice the Kamaitachi, the sickle weasels, and Kurokami's main minions... Mark, Jeremy and Super Hans as talking spirit weasels).

Do you think that it'd be possible to get Sir Terry Pratchett to sign off on an animated police procedural satire set in Ankh-Morpork? Like The Watch only animated. And, you know, good.

CONTEST TIME!!!

This TL will (sadly) begin its denouement soon, but here's your chance to shape the Disney Animated Canon in the 2000s and 2010s.

Rather than write full articles, they will be mentioned and briefly described (no more than a paragraph) as part of a Retrospective Post, but I leave the door open for Guest Posts that go into deeper aspects.

Some of your earlier ideas, some of them long-since lost in the stack, are already incorporated.

So, pitch your quick (a name, concept, and a little bit of info (voice actors, director) here, quoting this post, and find out eventually if your idea was chosen.

...or barring that, the Least Worst. Can't be worse than some of my ideas. :winkytongue:

(reshuffled for coherence)

Puss in Boots (the original Italian fairy tale) as a Mafia movie. Giovanni (DiCaprio) saves Puss (Joe Pesci or Steve Buscemi), and they stay best friends through adolescence; Gio doesn't inherit the business or the car, but out of gratitude, Puss does inadvertently manage to con his master into a place in the Family (Pacino or De Niro) and the Don's daughter's heart (Hayden Panittiere?).

Raptor Red, about a juvenile female Utahraptor based on the Robert Bakker novel of the same name. No talking dinosaurs, just paleontologists at a dig site (Michael J Fox and Minnie Driver?) narrating over the story as they dig up their remains in the present day and make their "best" guesses.

Terra Nova, about penguins in Antarctica during the race for the South Pole. The colony teaches Amundsen (Kristofer Hivju?) and the Norwegians how to survive in the frozen dark; Scott (Gary Oldman?) and the British ignore them, and end up freezing to death.

Last edited:
Oh, just one little thing - can't believe I've forgotten...

Turok: Son Of Stone (2005-ish?)

Basically, Tal'Set (Adam Beach) ends up falling through a portal into the Lost Lands and must fight to gain the mantle of Turok and avenge the murder of his tribe, whilst being hunted by a violent, racist Confederate colonel (Michael Rooker) who fell in with him and the tyrannical leader of a race of sapient dinosaurs (Ian McKellen). Basically, Hiawatha meets Spirit of the West with dinosaurs.

Terra Nova, about penguins in Antarctica during the race for the South Pole. The colony teaches Amundsen (Kristofer Hivju?) and the Norwegians how to survive in the frozen dark; Scott (Gary Oldman?) and the British ignore them, and end up freezing to death.

Here's an alternate take, @Migrant_Coconut... the Scott-Admundsen thing from the perspective of the penguins.... who can't understand what these silly featherless creatures are up to. Neither party of explorers is portrayed as particularly more heroic than the other - two madmen who led men into unimaginable peril in pursuit of the same prize... the only difference is that one came back and the other didn't. And it being from the perspective of the penguins - who were mostly interesting fauna/dinner to the explorers - further emphasises the theme of the oft-perplexing insanity of human ambition.

1999 is when Eminem archived mainstream success OTL:
dfm464c-d4b73b8e-e139-43ac-9143-9f8ef694e254.jpg

dfm465e-585592a2-46e0-4000-b104-b013a8cc3cb7.jpg

dfm465u-43d754e4-7bcd-4d2e-b122-8463b84a62cd.jpg

Granted, this is for our timeline's Disney in the 2020s, so I want him to win this time

In addition... he's using, to the best of my knowledge, a recent, high-profile acquisition that, from a certain point of view, didn't quite work out.

Now, I'd say the Fox acquisition was a wiser decision than it seems - it gave Disney some IP - Avatar, Planet of the Apes, The Simpsons, Alien/Predator - and the remaining Marvel characters... it's just there was a slight pandemic a short while after it.

In addition, the animated films haven't performed all that well - Lightyear and Strange World both bombed (and, weirdly enough, were beaten by an Ilumination and a DreamWorks Animation movie respectively - both distributed by Universal).

It's weird, isn't it?

@Geekhis Khan... with this, the Osborns being racelifted and NPH being cast in Doctor Who... I think this TL has been giving some people ideas. (If that's the case, they owe you money).

Last edited:
If someone wants to do either of those ideas (Craven's Crew or Zelda) then by all means. I didn't go anywhere with them, but no objections to a guest post.

CONTEST TIME!!!

So with Don Bluth doing Beauty and the Beast ITTL how about you get Disney to do Anastasia based on either/or of 1956s live action films: the German Anastasia: The Czar's Last Daughter or Fox's Anastasia.

Basic plot from Anastasia: The Czar's Last Daughter: In 1920, an unknown 24-year-old woman was fished out of Berlin's Landwehr kanal after a suicide attempt. Since she has no papers and no answers to any questions, they soon assign them to the insane asylum Dallendorf. A co-patient believes she recognizes the Czar's daughter Anastasia Romanowa - who apparently was the only one who survived the murder of the tsar's family in 1918.
Cast
Anna Anderson / Anastasia
Ivan Desny as Gleb Botkin
Rudolf Fernau as Serge Botkin
Tilla Durieux as the Tsar's mother
Dorothea Wieck as Grand Duchess Olga Romanov
Ellen Schwiers as Princess Katharina (Xenia Leeds)
Käthe Braun as Frau von Rathleff-Keilmann
Margot Hielscher as Crown Princess Cecilie
Otto Graf as Duke of Leuchtenberg
Franziska Kinz as Duchess of Leuchtenberg
Hans Krull as Friedrich Ernst, Prince of Saxon-Altenburg
Adelheid Seeck as Princess Irene of Prussia
Fritz Tillmann as Baron von Pleskau
Alice Treff as Baroness von Seekendorf
Erik von Loewis as Baron Valepp
Susanne von Almassy as Frau Stevens
Eva Bubat as Gertrud Schanzkowsky
Berta Drews as Fräulein Peuthert
Maria Sebaldt as Trollop
Reinhold Bernt as Landpoliceman
Paul Bildt as Volkov
Emmy Burg as Nurse Schwarzkopf
Peter Carsten as Soldier Tchaikovski
Erika Dannhoff as Frau von Pleskau
Fritz Eberth as Yurovski
Kurt Heintel as Kotov
Lucie Höflich as Frau Bäumle
Karl Klüsner as Dr. Kersten
Reinhard Kolldehoff as Fichte
Stanislav Ledinek as Voroneff
Robert Meyn as German lawyer
Marina Ried as Doris Wingender
Traute Rose as Charwoman
Edgar Ott as Ranger
Peter Capell
Wolf Martini
Werner Peters
Wolfgang Preiss
Charles Regnier
Helmuth Rudolph
Ernst Schröder
Siegfried Schürenberg
Paul Wagner
Kurt Weitkamp
Dieter Zeidler

Fox's Anastasia: Set in interwar France, the film follows a plot related to rumors that the Grand Duchess Anastasia Nikolaevna of Russia, the youngest daughter of the late Tsar Nicholas II and Empress Alexandra Feodorovna, survived the execution of her family in 1918. Russian General Bounine (Yul Brynner), former leader of the White Army during the Russian Revolution, along with his associates plot to swindle an inheritance of £10 million from the Grand Duchess using an amnesiac (Ingrid Bergman) who looks remarkably like the missing Anastasia. The exiled émigrés of the Russian aristocracy, in particular the Dowager Empress Marie Feodorovna (Helen Hayes) of Denmark, must be convinced that their handpicked claimant is legitimate if the plotters are to get her money.
Cast
as Anna Koreff / Anastasia
Yul Brynner as General Bounine
Helen Hayes as the Dowager Empress Marie Feodorovna
Akim Tamiroff as Boris Andreevich Chernov
Martita Hunt as Baroness Elena von Livenbaum
Felix Aylmer as Chamberlain
Sacha Pitoëff as Piotr Ivanovich Petrovin
Ivan Desny as Prince Paul von Haraldberg (an invented character)
Natalie Schafer as Irina Lissemskaia
Grégoire Gromoff as Stepan
Karel Štěpánek as Mikhail Vlados
Ina De La Haye as Marusia
Katherine Kath as Maxime

I'll voice actors up to others.