Great Wall of America

In order to stop illegal immigrants from coming into California, Arizona, New Mexico, and Texas... President Bush has declared that a Great Wall of America shall be built along the US/Mexico border. The wall will be solid concrete 10 feet thick and 20 feet high. Mounted with barbed wire at the top so no one can cross. Will this Great Wall solve our illegal immigration problems or will they find another way around?

Historum said:
Will this Great Wall solve our illegal immigration problems or will they find another way around?

I predict a very large increase in the sales of the following:

033_shovel.jpg

;)

sorry if I posted in the wrong section. I am new here as you can see by my post count. But it does say in the forum description: Post "what if" questions and talk about the results. This includes "future history"

HueyLong

Banned
It isn't likely, so may as well be ASB.

Why would the Bush Administration use a large amount of money, and betray their attempts to gain the Hispanic vote? Bush isn't anti-immigration, or even anti-illegal immigration as his efforts show.

Tielhard

Banned
As the 'murican ecconomy needs the the people you are going to make life ven more difficult for. I predict either a collapse in SW agriculture or a huge rise in supermarket prices.

The Universe would collapse from the irony of the wall being built by cheap foreign labour ;)

Thande

Donor
Note that Spain has failed to seal its border against illegal immigration from Africa when it only has to protect two Moroccan villages. Those are now surrounded with barbed wire etc. However, said illegal immigrants now come to Spain in long treacherous sea voyages via the Canary Islands :eek:

All the Mexicans would have to do is a much shorter voyage in the calmer waters of the Caribbean.

HueyLong said:
It isn't likely, so may as well be ASB.

Why would the Bush Administration use a large amount of money, and betray their attempts to gain the Hispanic vote? Bush isn't anti-immigration, or even anti-illegal immigration as his efforts show.

Yes but if the Congres votes its to be build he would have to build it

Raymann said:
Heh...I done did it!
Something wrong with that picture. Either Texas expanded bigtime, or the moat..er I mean the Rio Grande disappeared and replaced by mountains.

HueyLong

Banned
Congress can not and would not vote for it.

Political suicide, because only the extremists even feign hostility to illegal immigration. Political suicide, because it thwarts individual and party efforts towards courting the Hispanic vote. Political suicide, because of cost.

Fabilius said:
Would this wall be visible from the moon? Or would we need the great wall of Canada for that?
It's not the length that would make it visible from space, it's the width. Satelite pictures of northern China don't show the wall at all, except for an area were sandstorms occur and even then it's not the wall thats visible but the sand thats flush against the wall.

Redbeard

Banned
I wonder why so many people think it is impossible to build walls practically impenetrable?

For four allmost decades we had an "wall" surrounding East Germany that very few ever succeeded to cross - and that was even with East German technology and zeal. In this case is not significant what the most creative fraction of a percent can do, but what the 99+% are capable of.

Technology etc. is present, the main requirement is will. Right now that will is limited but rising on a parallel curve with illegal immigration. Just wait and people will vote for minefields and high voltage etc. although you probably don't need all the bloody devices to make it "safe". And as the problem get distant in time, the walls will be dismantled again, and next something entirely differnt is oin the agenda...

But large demographic reloactions always in the history of mankind has caused great turmoil, why on earth shouldn't it do this time?

And if the Americans need housekeepers and gardeners, why don't just deal out some green cards in the number needed?

Regards

Steffen Redbeard

Redbeard said:
I wonder why so many people think it is impossible to build walls practically impenetrable?

For four allmost decades we had an "wall" surrounding East Germany that very few ever succeeded to cross - and that was even with East German technology and zeal. In this case is not significant what the most creative fraction of a percent can do, but what the 99+% are capable of.

Technology etc. is present, the main requirement is will. Right now that will is limited but rising on a parallel curve with illegal immigration. Just wait and people will vote for minefields and high voltage etc. although you probably don't need all the bloody devices to make it "safe". And as the problem get distant in time, the walls will be dismantled again, and next something entirely differnt is oin the agenda...

But large demographic reloactions always in the history of mankind has caused great turmoil, why on earth shouldn't it do this time?

And if the Americans need housekeepers and gardeners, why don't just deal out some green cards in the number needed?

Regards

Steffen Redbeard

Redbeard

I think the idea of a wall that long through rough terrain in some places raises doubts about its viability in cost turns if nothing else. Also the fact it could fairly easily be bypassed.

Haven't we had this discussion only a couple of weeks back?

Steve