Goddard works for the Navy

Lets say Robert Goddard starts working for the Navy in 1917, instead of the Army.

How would his research be affected by the different sponsorship. Would the Navy be more sympathetic to his goals and ideas? Will more progress be made with the Navy?

Heres some ideas I want to spitball.

Earlier JATO or RATO for US Navy aircraft
Maybe an earlier push for weather satellites
Sea towed or ship mounted rockets used in the Pacific theater, probably a stretch.

Last edited:
First item I can think of is no 1918 replacement design for the 37mm light infantry gun. That working prototype introduced the Army ordnance Dept to Goddards experiments, and served as the basis for the Bazooka AT weapon in the 1940s. If Goddard is working for the Dept of the Navy from 1915 the Army may be slower off the dime in developing rocket weapons. That is Bazooka type weapons do not appear until mid 1944 vs late 1943. Cant recall the development of rocket weapons for aircraft, or the other programs. There were quite a few on the table by 1943.

During 1920s US Navy use Machine guns on there Aircraft
with World War Two the Navy start with Rocket programs at Caltech
What let to 1943 the 3.5-Inch Forward Firing Aircraft Rocket and series others rockets, using Solid rocket fuel.

I can imagine that Goddard could do Scientific work for US Navy in 1920s
like building and testing Navy Sounding rocket
While during WW2 Goddard could build aircraft rockets for US Navy
but those feature liquid propellant, instead of Solid rockets of Caltech

In 1944 as leading Navy scientist on Rocket technology he will examine V2 hardware and consider it as Copy of his US navy work.
if a Admiral understand the potential of V2 and Goddard Work, he could push for Advance V2 for US Navy use...