German Carriers.

sharlin

Banned
I found this and thought folks at least might find this napkinwaffe interesting :) So when the 'German Carriers?' threads rise their ugly heads at least there will be some stats :p

Kleiner Flugzeugträger I "CVL"

1yu49h.jpg

While the Graf Zeppelin was being constructed, The Kriegsmarine created a "napkin" drawing of a pocket carrier. Weeks later it was thrown away due to rejection by the Part, that carrier was named the CVL I. This design only allowed the vessel to carry a rough estimate of 18 aircraft. The ship design prevented any further aircraft to be added. This design's intentional purpose was to able to have great speed to stick with the main fleets at full speed. This carrier was the first and last CVL planned, it was also the only carrier Germany had the capability to create in the time span of a year.

qpjg3k.jpg

CVL I was planned to weight less than 6000t , compared to it's 12000t counterpart. Due to its defective armouring, the carrier was "planned" to have a diesel engine system to operate at full speeds.
Posted Image
Size(Max): 6000t
Length(Total):161,0m
Length(Flightdeck):140,0m
Beam: 16,0 m
Draft: 5,5 m
Crew: unknown
Weapons
10,5 cm L/50: 8
3,7 cm L/83 C/30: 8
2 cm MG L/65: 16
Aircraft
Various Types: 12-15
Engines
Type: Diesel Engines
Performance
Total Performance: unknown
Speed: unknown
Range: unknown

P1 KMS Europa (New)

Before WW2, Europa was the spot-light of transportation belonging to the North German Lloyd Line. However the war broke out and its original duties were put down, Germany later decided to use this ship as a barracks for the men on the eastern front. The Kriegsmarine later decided to transform it into a carrier (axillary), however the project was slow and the creation wouldn't have happened for a long time.

Size (Max): 56500t
Length (Total): 291,50 m
Length (Flightdeck): N/A
Beam: 37,0 m
Draft: 10,3 m
Crew: N/A
Weapons
10,5 cm L/50:12
3,7 cm L/83 C/30:20
2 cm MG L/65:28-36
Aircraft
Messerschmitt Me 109 T:24
Junkers Ju 87 C:18
Engines
Shafts:4
Turbines:4
Type: Geared Turbines
Performance
Total Performance:100000 shp
Speed: 26,5 kn
Range:10000 sm at 19 kn

Later they realized the Europa had high amounts of fuel consumption and a bad stability compared to other ship candidates. After the war ended, France and the U.S took custody over the vessel. France used it as an ocean liner called "Liberte". The US used it as a troops transport AP 177 before it was "donated" to france.

In the North German Lloyd Line of large, stood the the Europa, a troop transport vessel. However since Germany had little need for troop transports in their blitzkrieg the Europa was useless. Large ships take a lot of skilled manpower and large quantities of strategic materials to build, so when Germany tried to rectify its critical shortage of warships and, specifically, aircraft carriers, she looked to these large liners as quick conversion possibilities. Europa was designated "Auxiliary Aircraft Carrier I". Plans in early 1942 called for a carrier resembling an over sized Graf Zeppelin, but having a sway-backed look from the curved liner decks below flight-deck level.

Grossflugzeugkreuzers
I was unable to find any information on these vessels, since most likely these were just napkin designs that weren't taken seriously, however they're pretty interesting.

2s7hzeo.jpg

fwug40.jpg

4sfbci.jpg

KMS Seydlitz

1942, The Nazi Party decided to withdraw heavy cruiser KMS Seydlitz's building progress and convert it into one of the many carriers planned....the Seydlitz. The reasoning for this was for provision for local air cover for German capital ships. In Bremen, work began to dismantle the superstructure of the would-be cruiser. Probably the armament was already removed to the Atlantic Wall or the Norwegian coast.

5d2grk.jpg

Some time around November or December 1942, all remaining superstructure was removed and Seydlitz left Bremen for Königsberg.

In 1942, Battle of the Barents Sea took place, where heavily superior German naval force was turned away by British light cruisers and destroyers. Hitler was furious and ordered all capital ships decommissioned and all works in progress abandoned. In the few months Seydlitz spent at Königsberg, not much work towards becoming an aircraft carrier could have been done; only some basic flight deck support construction had begun.

i1jgir.jpg

No more work were ever done on Seydlitz. She remained in the Schichau Yards in Königsberg until the Russians arrived in April 1945, when she was scuttled to prevent capture. She was renamed Poltava by the Russians and plans were made to rebuild her. They were canceled and the hull was scrapped around 1950-51.

Potsdam

While other major carriers were being planned and built out, the Kriegsmarine persuaded Hitler to allow them to create a small ordeal carrier. This carrier would weigh almost half as much as its counterparts and be the in-and-out of the German Naval Force. Once the war broke out, the forces on the east used this carrier (unfinished) as a barracks and HQ. The Navy planned to use it as a training carrier later, due to Hitler confirming that the other carriers will be set-sail in a matter of months (Which they did not).

312fv5l.jpg

During the development, it became clear that Russia would soon take over and capture the Potsdam, so in retaliation they scudded the ship. After the war, Britain took custody of the Potsdam and converted it into the Safina-E-Hujjaj (Indian custudy) and Empire Fowes. The ship itself was completely scrapped in 1976.

^ The carrier above is the plan, Hilfsflugzeugträger II (Below)

Hilfsflugzeugträger II

During the invasion of 1940, Germany found many inferior projects in development by France, If not scrapped, they were taken and improved/re designed by the Kriegsmarine. "De Grasse", a French Light cruiser, was taken and planned to be converted into a carrier, called Hilfsflugzeugträger II. However was taken into action in its original shipyard in Lorries. In February 1943 construction halted since it proved to be too expensive in terms of work and material.

2isxs39.jpg

Size: 11400 t
Length: 192,5 m
Beam: 24,4 m
Draft: 5,6 m
Armament: 12 x 10,5 cm Flak; 12 x 3,7 cm Flak; 24 x 2 cm FlaMG
Aircraft: 12 x Junkers Ju 87 C; 11 x Messerschmitt Me 109 T
Performance: 110000 shp, 32 kn, Range 7000 sm at 19 kn

The planned carrier was to have the capability of carrying 12 Ju 87E Stuka dive bombers and 11 Bf 109T fighters, stowed in one hangar and transported by two elevators. The work came to a halt in Feb 1943, however, due to the threat of Allied air attacks and the diversion of manpower and raw material elsewhere; there was also some concerns about the conversion blueprint that contributed to the stoppage.

KMS Europa

In the North German Lloyd Line of large, stood the the Europa, a troop transport vessel. However since Germany had little need for troop transports in their blitzkrieg the Europa was useless. Large ships take a lot of skilled manpower and large quantities of strategic materials to build, so when Germany tried to rectify its critical shortage of warships and, specifically, aircraft carriers, she looked to these large liners as quick conversion possibilities. Europa was designated "Auxiliary Aircraft Carrier I". Plans in early 1942 called for a carrier resembling an over sized Graf Zeppelin, but having a sway-backed look from the curved liner decks below flight-deck level.

1z3rm1f.jpg

Last edited:
Last week i discussed the Z plan with some naval fans/gamers. Their speculations included some of these and similar ships. They also considered what sort of carriers the British would have been building absent the distractions that stalled both the German & British carrier construction programs.

The biggest problem behind all these carriers is that there is no really coherent plan behind them, at least one that I can see. It is as if some in Kriegsmarine want a carrier and come up with a cheapo plan to get one.

If one or more had been built then the Royal Navy would have sunk it in short order, assuming the RAF did not get there first. Thus in reality they are not very practical. From the point of view of a wargamer or an AH writer they are first class ;). It is a pity that none took part in the Battle of the Faroes in Winter Warriors by Stuart Slade. The Kriegsmarine might have been able to put up more of a fight.