For the Republic: A History of the Second American Civil War

So in this case it will really happen that American policy can vary drastically depending on who puts his ass in the White House? I usually see people insisting on it as if it were a fact but then it is not what I see in their TL or OTL or in the development of the story.

So in this case it will really happen that American policy can vary drastically depending on who puts his ass in the White House? I usually see people insisting on it as if it were a fact but then it is not what I see in their TL or OTL or in the development of the story.
You think Patton has ambitions of becoming President after the SACW?

Hey everyone, I've got some unfortunate news. Finals are in full swing. As a result, I can't promise updates as regularly as I've been dropping them in the past for the next few weeks. Luckily I'm still making lots of progress :)

Great chapter. I've always felt a certain morbid fascination for sieges and the desperate measures that have to be adopted to survive them. This is dreadful, that goes without saying. I also really like how you effectively show that reactionaries often end up bringing the very revolution they hoped to avoid, because their attacks radicalize their enemies. Hell, the First Civil War is an example - without Confederate attacks, abolitionism would have remained weak, and anti-slavery politics dominated by gradualists. Nice, as well, to see how the war pushes the government into unlikely alliances. Just like the Allies allying with the Italian Mafia against Mussolini.

Also, totally get you about finals. I had to pause my own writing several times due to them lol. But remember, the real world always takes precedence, and we will wait for you. Wish you the best of luck!

NatCorp joke: The FBI is now deploying in squads of three: One who can read, one who can write, and one to keep an eye on the other two dangerous intellectuals.

So what would replace the FBI after the Civil War? I highly doubt the Republic would want to keep the agency that openly supported the fascist coup against the legitimate government.

So what would replace the FBI after the Civil War? I highly doubt the Republic would want to keep the agency that openly supported the fascist coup against the legitimate government.
LIkely the Secret Service? Maybe since the centralization of federal authority around a police apparatus that kept everyone else in check means they may not even "replace" the FBI.

Perhaps US Marshals and state investigative agencies would pick up the slack and the Secret Service or even just a "National Investigative Community" would exist simply to help organize, supervise, and establish guidelines for investigating and enforcing trans-state and federal crime.

Altertantivly maybe some gendarmerie grows out of the National Guard to also pick up the slack and when "federalized" by the president can enforce federal law/pursue crimes.

I could see the OSS's internal espionage service (I think the OSS sticks around instead of becoming the CIA) being spun off into the CIG (which retains it's name instead of becoming the CIA) becoming the New Republic's version of the FBI.

I could see the OSS's internal espionage service (I think the OSS sticks around instead of becoming the CIA) being spun off into the CIG (which retains it's name instead of becoming the CIA) becoming the New Republic's version of the FBI.

OSS wasn't founded until 1942 :)
"Wild Bill" is however waiting in the wings as we can assume he lost his bid for the Governorship of New York in 1932.

Randy

OSS wasn't founded until 1942 :)
"Wild Bill" is however waiting in the wings as we can assume he lost his bid for the Governorship of New York in 1932.

Randy
Wild Bill would probably found an intelligence service during the Civil War, and honestly I can also see him being a diplomat with Britain or a double agent within the Natcorps.

So does anyone wonder how rocket and nuclear technology will develop without the US to be refuge or leader to spearhead The Manhattan Project?
Either the British and French pull off a much smaller project (they guessed right in terms of method) Quebec has the Hydro power to do the sort of things that the US did in the Pac NW as part of the project. This is as opposed to the United States trying literally *every* solution because they had the money to.

Saw an estimate (not sure how accurate) that the US Spent more on the Manhattan Project than the Italians did on their Navy (Building *and* maintenance) during the War.

Now I am frank to say that I am not a liberal. I enjoy working on a common basis with liberals for their platforms, but I am not a liberal. I am what I want to be—I am a radical. I am a radical in the sense that I want a definite change in the system. I am not satisfied with tinkering, I am not satisfied with patching, I am not satisfied with hanging a laurel wreath upon the burglars and thieves and pirates that now occupy Washington D.C. We will be satisfied by nothing less than their destruction, and the destruction of what created them.” - Floyd B. Olson, March 27th 1934
Now that... that is some absolute chad words right there. Floyd B. Olson is the absolute chad right here in this timeline.