Dyed hair much more popular

What divergences would have to be introduced to make dyed hair, in non-standard colors such as blue, green, purple, etc. much more popular?

The goal of the scenario is to have at least half of population have dyed hair by modern day.

vF0l3c6.jpg

H33fhUu.jpg

0oRaNTy.jpg

zaZDVIu.jpg

hjXWtiu.jpg

INqpg2i.jpg

I was going to make the joke that all women over forty already dye their hair, but that is in such bad taste.

The dyes didn't really exist until the eighties so first you need to push back their discovery. I could SOOOO see the seventies embracing dyed hair with counter culture and psychedelics. Have KISS and other rockers embrace it and bam! Plus you need many businesses to accept it (many offices have a conservative view to appearance).

BTW, my wife loves her pink hair so I totally get the style.

Last edited:
While modern permanent hair dye is relatively new, humans have been using dyes for millennia. Maybe a cultural norm of using non-permanent hair dye on special occasions? Powder wigs were once an integral part of formal attire, perhaps instead of completely ditching wigs worn to formal events it's replaced by the still less onerous custom of dying one's hair for special events. And by the time permanent hair dye comes around, it's not seen as unprofessional but the opposite- like wearing a tie to Walmart. Less of an uphill clump to get acceptance from there IMO

Maybe keeping the wigs a lot longer, moving away from white to all sorts of colors (thinking about Amadeus now, no idea if his dyed wig was at all historically accurate) and then having the reason wigs disappear be that people start dyeing their own hair.

So what butterflies the disfavor of wigs? No French Revolution?

Incidentally I just pulled this up a second ago and haven't read it yet, but it seems completely pertinent:
https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2015/01/hair-dye-a-history/383934/

While modern permanent hair dye is relatively new, humans have been using dyes for millennia. Maybe a cultural norm of using non-permanent hair dye on special occasions? Powder wigs were once an integral part of formal attire, perhaps instead of completely ditching wigs worn to formal events it's replaced by the still less onerous custom of dying one's hair for special events. And by the time permanent hair dye comes around, it's not seen as unprofessional but the opposite- like wearing a tie to Walmart. Less of an uphill clump to get acceptance from there IMO

Awesome.

Society with anime hair when?

The goal of the scenario is to have at least half of population have dyed hair by modern day.
If you want to force such high compliance, just add in deep human racism....be a set shade or......(other options depending on your crazy state ideology are available)

It's not a non-standard color, but in Muslim societies a lot of men dye their beards red. Black dye is prohibited, but it is permissible to dye one's hair in any other color (with covering up grey hairs being a major goal). The reason that red is popular is because Muhammad is supposed to have dyed his hair red (although accounts differ on whether or not that's true). However there is a rule that dying hair cannot be done in imitation of non-Muslims or women.

That means a good POD would be Muhammad dying his hair a non-standard color. The biggest difficulty with that is getting a dye that can make non-standard colors. Part of the reason that colors like purple were so highly sought after is because it was difficult/expensive to get the materials to make that color, and being in a relative backwater limits the range of options that would be available to Muhammad. However if you can overcome that then whatever color Muhammad used would be popular in the Muslim world.

It's not a non-standard color, but in Muslim societies a lot of men dye their beards red. Black dye is prohibited, but it is permissible to dye one's hair in any other color (with covering up grey hairs being a major goal). The reason that red is popular is because Muhammad is supposed to have dyed his hair red (although accounts differ on whether or not that's true). However there is a rule that dying hair cannot be done in imitation of non-Muslims or women.

That means a good POD would be Muhammad dying his hair a non-standard color. The biggest difficulty with that is getting a dye that can make non-standard colors. Part of the reason that colors like purple were so highly sought after is because it was difficult/expensive to get the materials to make that color, and being in a relative backwater limits the range of options that would be available to Muhammad. However if you can overcome that then whatever color Muhammad used would be popular in the Muslim world.

That is interesting, how common is this prohibition on dying hair black? Also what is the reason for it?

I seem to recall reading of various blond Caliphs dying their beards black so they looked a little more Arab after their fathers had favoured blonde wives for a few too many generations.

Last edited: