Dwarf Fortress

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since all the Paradox games have one, I figured Dwarf Fortress needed a core thread here in Books and Media. I actually just recently discovered this game, and it's a heck of a lot of fun even if the learning curve is more like a learning wall. :p

Anyways, a couple of links:

With that out of the way, discuss! Ask questions! And most of all, have fun! :)

I've been working lately on reading the great trilogy of lets plays. (Boatmurdered, Headshoots... and I can't remember then last one). I used to just play adventure mode and read about others playing fortress, especially after the fighting update awhile back, but lately, with the aid of graphic packs, I've gotten decent at fortress mode too. I do miss the more diverse buildings in town though.

I've been working lately on reading the great trilogy of lets plays. (Boatmurdered, Headshoots... and I can't remember then last one). I used to just play adventure mode and read about others playing fortress, especially after the fighting update awhile back, but lately, with the aid of graphic packs, I've gotten decent at fortress mode too. I do miss the more diverse buildings in town though.

Hm. I've been considering getting a graphics pack - should I? And if so, any recommendations?

Hm. I've been considering getting a graphics pack - should I? And if so, any recommendations?

I've only tried 3, but I use Mayday's. The link should be on the DF forums for the latest version, as the wiki isn't updated to the new 34 versions yet, or at least wasn't a few months ago, but that was right when it came out. It seems to look right, but does have some issues with the fancy text in descriptions having 0s replaced with some weird character... doesn't cause too many problems though.

So how about that round robin game? We ought to use the Mayday tilepack so that everyone can see what is what. If you're interested in playing, say so in here. Is anyone particularly good at starting a fort? I could do it, but I'm so OCD I usually take multiple seasons to build the first few stages.

So how about that round robin game? We ought to use the Mayday tilepack so that everyone can see what is what. If you're interested in playing, say so in here. Is anyone particularly good at starting a fort? I could do it, but I'm so OCD I usually take multiple seasons to build the first few stages.

I'll try. And I think as long as we use *a* tileset. Saves aren't dependent on the tilepack, I believe.

I would, but I don't think I'm nearly good enough yet :eek:

I'm thinking:

Forested. Not necessarily actual forests, but we'll want wood.
Brook or stream, if possible. I'd rather avoid an actual river or coastline, because of FPS issues.
No aquifer.
Some kind of soil. I like sand, because I like glassmaking.
Lots of metals (I'm going to set minerals to 500-ish in world gen).
Access to all civilizations (i.e., not an island).
Warmish.
4x4 embark square.
I'm torn on whether to go for a volcano or flux stone. Any preferences?

Also, any skills I should be sure to bring, aside from the obvious (mining, farming, cooking, weapon and armorsmithing)?

Also, I generally play without a tileset. Does that effect the saves in any way? Or do I need to download that Mayday tileset first?

Also, I generally play without a tileset. Does that effect the saves in any way? Or do I need to download that Mayday tileset first?

Well, it was mainly so we can take pictures and post them and everyone would understand.

If you wouldn't mind downloading it, that would be great. It will help with the screen captures, and also last I played everyone had to have the same tileset. But perhaps it's been updated.

You know, I wonder how outdated my version is? I got it back in like...2010.

Anyway, I guess we should come up with the order. Does the order of sign-up work with everyone, with me inserted at the back?

1. Asnys
2. OAM47
3. Doctor Imperialism
4. TurkishCapybara
5. Yelnoc

I feel like other people showed interested in the other thread. I'll send out PMs.

If you wouldn't mind downloading it, that would be great. It will help with the screen captures, and also last I played everyone had to have the same tileset. But perhaps it's been updated.

You know, I wonder how outdated my version is? I got it back in like...2010.

We're all going to need to have the same version of the game. There's been a lot of updates since 2010. Vampires, for example. :D

For that matter, I haven't played with the new update yet. Apparently it includes minecarts. :cool:

We're all going to need to have the same version of the game. There's been a lot of updates since 2010. Vampires, for example. :D

For that matter, I haven't played with the new update yet. Apparently it includes minecarts. :cool:

O_O
o_O
:noexpression:

Status
Not open for further replies.